Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

3 games to go and 3 wins gives us a great chance of top 4.
Just think of where we were when Jose was sacked.
Some people really need to get a grip.

djembatheking

I feel for Ole as he will give his all and want success as much as anyone but the mentality from above will give him no chance . I hope more than anything he proves me wrong .
Just feels very Arsenal like as top 4 will do , keep the wonga rolling in and the football comes second . A horrible fall from grace .

fallengt

Same thing could be said when he was appointed. Giving the job after 15 games trial.
Double standard. You judged him then, you can just him now. That's how it is

TsuWave

Posted fairly late so could be I was hallucinating - however I do believe I elaborated too. A lot so even.
i'm gonna be honest with you chief, ain't nobody about to read a mural of text big enough to keep the white walkers and night king at bay. especially when it starts with "Ole's tenure hasn't started yet"

MisterLupus

i'm gonna be honest with you chief, ain't nobody about to read a mural of text big enough to keep the white walkers and night king at bay. especially when it starts with "Ole's tenure hasn't started yet"
Though I doubt very much you speak on behalf of everyone - that you are quite delusional for thinking so even - I can live with that no problem. Thanks for nothing mate have a nice one ;)

TsuWave

Though I doubt very much you speak on behalf of everyone - that you are quite delusional for thinking so even - I can live with that no problem. Thanks for nothing mate have a nice one ;)
alas, a language barrier. its a colloquialism/turn of phrase, although anyone that decides to read that whole post after that first sentence should not be taken seriously and therefore does not exist = nobody.

Ventura

Is the next guy going to suddenly turn this motley gang around like magic? No, of course not. Jose had to go because he was a scumbag, but he had an amazing manager CV. Being a world class manager was not enough with our boys. The manager is only a piece of the puzzle. It's pointless to keep firing manager thinking the next one has the magical recipe. He doesn't.

Fitchett

Appointing Ole was the best thing we could have done! He had a fantastic run of results, set up a new club record for successive away wins, got the spirit and club ethos back. All this from midway through a season and without signing a single player. The match going fans love him and we are really behind him.

Sure, results and performances have dropped this past month, but he inherited players with poor fitness levels as a result of inadequate pre-season training and is working with a mix of players signed by four different managers, each with differing priorities. We can all see that they are below par ability wise or application wise. You can't polish a turd, no matter how good a manager you are. You give your players a chance to improve, if they don't, then you replace them.

Can't believe that some people are slamming Ole already. The time to fairly judge him is after three transfer windows, when he has had time to build a team or squad which is his. That is as long as he is backed properly by the club.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I wanted us to wait till the end of the the season before we make the announcement.

The news that Carrick and McKenna made the team selection during the early stages of Ole's interim reign may be true because there's a clear departure from the way we played and the way we are playing now.We dominated teams, the CBs played a highline and the FBs overlapped.

People are talking that this is not Ole's team, he needs a transfer, it took Pep and Klopp time to get things right. That is true,but during their early reigns one could see they system they wanted to implement, but didn't have the right players,it was obvious that with the right players they would get things right .

By now we should have seen the type of system Ole is trying to play but doesn't have 'his' and/or quality players. That way we can say if he is given a transfer budget he can build his own team.I have not seen anything so far.

Why we are where we are now is because of the high 'moral' standards some of our fans, ex players and the media placed on Man United.United give coaches time, United give players time etc. That's why we hired Moyes, Mourinho, LVG and kept them longer than was necessary. That's why Young, Jones, Smalling,Lingard etc are still at United because they are great 'servants' and local lads.

Big clubs act big. Maldrid quickly sacked their coach when they realized it was a mistake .That's a big club.Barca are clearly planning to sale Coutinho if he doesn't improve despite his reputation and price tag. That's a big club. Not us, we give players and coaches time until things spiral out of control.

I won't be mad if Ole is let go at the end of the season , it won't reduce his standing as a club legend in my eyes.

If we don't reserve some of the mistakes we made as quickly as we can(Ole's appointment is one of them ,and not getting a DOF), we may slide into mediocrity that would be difficult to get out from.

Rafaeldagold

That’s only really because Chelsea & Arsenal are doing poorly now too. We’re not getting top 4 regardless.

The main worry isn’t the results (as you stated he did very well results wise at the start) it’s just I honestly don’t see a plan or style of play which is worrying- we couldn’t even control a home game against Watford.

I think we honestly have to reassess & ask ourselves ‘ do we have the best manager that we can obtain at our club?’ Because the margins are so tight now with lots of clubs having money we can’t afford to not keep our standards up in every department- players & manager.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Same thing could be said when he was appointed. Giving the job after 15 games trial.
Double standard. You judged him then, you can just him now. That's how it is
Exactly! And if anything he should be judged on current form and not on those first gsmes were he had had no time to impose new tatctics or training.
I dont even want to think about next season with Ole in charge

Cloud7

I agree, I've been saying for ages we need to start buying players from lower leagues. There's good players down there at literally half the price! They're more likely to have a better mentality as well

Dele Alli
Vardy
Brooks
Maddison
Kante
Maguire

These are just a few examples of the kinds of players we could be dealing with.
We don't even need to take THAT gamble. We could have just signed most them after they proved their adjustment in the Premier League.

Kante
Vardy
Mahrez
We could have just signed the trio after the won the league. Even the season after honestly except for Kante .

Maguire
Robertson
Hull had a decent enough season and again we could have been the club to sign them both .

Brooks
How about now?

So whose left:
Bissaka
Maddison
Brooks
Delofeuo
Dacoure
Anderson

There's a decent list of players in the league that would improve us even if it's just squad depth ...better than some of the options we've got now
Agree with these two posts. We need to stop looking laterally at transfers from the other big clubs and aim for the tier below, before they make the jump to another top club. Bring them in hungry rather than when they’ve accomplished what they need to and come here having lost a bit of an edge.

minoo-utd

Yes ok I know he did ok some how and put us back to challenge for 4th but losing 7 games out of last 9? What's your excuse?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Our biggest problem is fitness and movement, obviously both are related.

When our midfielders get the ball and look up, everyone wants the ball to feet, stood staring straight at the guy with the ball.

The only time we have a slight bit of movement is around the opposition box, but it's all selfish movement, there's no one making a run to open space for others, they only move if they think they should be player through.

Watch any other top team and you'll see players dragging defenders all over the place, and that's what frees up room for the rest of the team.

I believe Ole has got the intelligence to set us up that way, as we saw in his first few games, but the players are knackered and that movement has disappeared.

I think we'll see a big improvement after preseason

RasTiaGba

Poch or Zidane would probably have a big question in their mind about coming here.

They've got established, well run squads at Madrid and Spurs.

This squad? It's embarassing being the club who pay so much and get so little.

rollingstoned1

I agree that this month we've seen the wheels come off. We blew our wad at PSG and after that, there was nothing left in the tank. But all of this "lost 7 out of 9" doesn't tell the whole story. He's won 16 games, lost 8 and drawn 2, including wins over Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG and a draw vs pool..... Several of these were away fixtures. We had a great run, fueled by a lot of factors but we could never have sustained our initial perfect run of form. I'd love to see the loooooong list of managers you lot have recommended since the Sir Alex's aborted first retirement announcement. Most haven't been heard from in years. We have Ole now. Let him have a couple transfer windows and a season or two at the wheel and then evaluate his performance.
agreed all this wrangling and doom mongering is basically detracting from the fact that the PSG game basically was a curtain closer of sorts for our season and marked the end of our 'bounce'. Mentally it was like winning a Cup final and since then i haven't seen any signs of the squad giving a feck like they were after Mou got sacked. It's no excuse mind and if anything underlines how weak and soft the playing squad are.

soapythecat

Is the next guy going to suddenly turn this motley gang around like magic? No, of course not. Jose had to go because he was a scumbag, but he had an amazing manager CV. Being a world class manager was not enough with our boys. The manager is only a piece of the puzzle. It's pointless to keep firing manager thinking the next one has the magical recipe. He doesn't.
But surely, by appointing a manager with zero top flight experience other than relegation, is the wrong approach. If/when things are going downhill after 4 or 5 games next season who do we blame? New players, weak manager? We have no get out and no indication of what he can achieve because he has done nothing. Poor appointment, poor timing and all based on sentiment in a hope of pleasing fans and trying to get lucky.

TsuWave

The news that Carrick and McKenna made the team selection during the early stages of Ole's interim reign may be true because there's a clear departure from the way we played and the way we are playing now.We dominated teams
We didn’t dominate teams. We were slightly better than under Mourinho and got results. I remember people in one of the other Ole threads saying we were winning games against the run of play and that it wasn’t sustainable but they were drowned by “Ole’s at the wheel!!” type posts. Plenty of people voiced concerns early

soapythecat

We didn’t dominate teams. We were slightly better than under Mourinho and got results. I remember people in one of the other Ole threads saying we were winning games against the run of play and that it wasn’t sustainable but they were drowned by “Ole’s at the wheel!!” type posts. Plenty of people voiced concerns early

Absolutely this. The blinkered who thinks Ole can turn us around into something better than we are, are just deluded. He doesn’t have the ability. During our rich vein of form, after the first few games we were lucky. Could easily have been defeats when we found a goal. He is achieving his Cardiff stats now but with a much better side. Bloke is inept at this level.
I’d love to be proved wrong, I really would for the sake of United and Ole, who’s a wonderful lad. But this job is way to big for him and many other managers.

MisterLupus

alas, a language barrier. its a colloquialism/turn of phrase, although anyone that decides to read that whole post after that first sentence should not be taken seriously and therefore does not exist = nobody.
...and yet you ask me to disregard your own exaggeration because obviously it's just a "turn of phrase" not meant to be taken literally - despite the fact that you weren't even courteous enough to elaborate on it the way I did... But hey whatever keeps you afloat friend - I can see from your references too - as well as your claim that anyone not pampering to your opinions aren't real people but just a trick of the mind - that you prefer fantasy over reality. So I won't stomp too hard on the imagined validity of your pointless posts.

I'm simply not that into you sorry - but stay strong champ you'll find someone real one day don't worry! :lol:

Well put. Reading through certain comments is like observing amateur proctologists attempting brain surgery on a patient that's clearly suffering from heart disease and an injured toe.

Kaglish10

Absolutely this. The blinkered who thinks Ole can turn us around into something better than we are, are just deluded. He doesn’t have the ability. During our rich vein of form, after the first few games we were lucky. Could easily have been defeats when we found a goal. He is achieving his Cardiff stats now but with a much better side. Bloke is inept at this level.
I’d love to be proved wrong, I really would for the sake of United and Ole, who’s a wonderful lad. But this job is way to big for him and many other managers.
Or the squad are simply not good enough. If the pragmatic Mourinho couldn't achieve with his own squad because they are mostly shit, what did you expect Ole to do?

TRUERED89

Appointing Ole was the best thing we could have done! He had a fantastic run of results, set up a new club record for successive away wins, got the spirit and club ethos back. All this from midway through a season and without signing a single player. The match going fans love him and we are really behind him.

Sure, results and performances have dropped this past month, but he inherited players with poor fitness levels as a result of inadequate pre-season training and is working with a mix of players signed by four different managers, each with differing priorities. We can all see that they are below par ability wise or application wise. You can't polish a turd, no matter how good a manager you are. You give your players a chance to improve, if they don't, then you replace them.

Can't believe that some people are slamming Ole already. The time to fairly judge him is after three transfer windows, when he has had time to build a team or squad which is his. That is as long as he is backed properly by the club.
Great post, btw a lot of these posters slammed SAF many times too, so it's inevitable if we don't win every game the knee-jerkers come out in full force. Everyone needs to chill, sharpen the knives if we're still shite come December! We've become worse than Madrid fans.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
At least Madrid fans demand excellency at all times. That would not have accepted what the Glazers/Woodward are doing.
They'd demand we spend money on players, which we have been doing. If we don't spend 200+ million this Summer, then we riot. But I don't understand our fans moaning about them, we've spent close to 500 million euros since Jose took over! Thats a huge amount,

TRUERED89

There's no guarantee everyone's beloved Poch could handle the size of the task here, the pressure and expectation at Spurs is nothing like Man United. Jose bought most of the shite and complained about it afterwards, complete contradiction! People have a right to question certain things, but to write him off already is utterly ridiculous. He can be our Pep/Zidane, he's a young modern style manager who will die to succeed here, give him a break and some players! Pep couldn't do shit with this team he would have sold everyone! So judge next season.

TRUERED89

At least Madrid fans demand excellency at all times. That would not have accepted what the Glazers/Woodward are doing.
They are scumbags, boo'ing Legends and vandalising their cars, the men that helped them win 4 CL's in 5 years their fans deserve no respect!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
6th and 6th?

We have lost 7 out of 9. I have no confidence that we will win against Chelsea either. Huddersfield and Cardiff we'll both smash because they are league 1 standard.

Moaninho absolutely deserved the sack and I back Ole, but feck me is he making it hard. Our worst form since the 1960s, getting outplayed by any decent team (Everton, West Ham, Watford, Wolves). I can understand losing handily to Barca and City, but at least give these mid table teams a game, not smash and grab them or roll over.

Personally, I still put most of the blame on the players, but this will have to improve next season. He will get a pre-season and his own players so I hope that we will improve.

humdinger

Exactly this. Back then I’d written the season off completely and thought we’d be thumped by PSG and struggle for top 6! It’s been a very frustrating end to the season but to even be in contention for top 4 and to have beaten PSG was a great achievement given how low the club was.

crossy1686

career ending
I just cannot believe this thread.

Ole won us the Champions League. He’s been a faithful club servant since coming here as a player. When we needed him, he dropped everything, came here to deal with this mess. There isn’t a selfish bone in his body.

There may come a time when he will need to go. But he needs at least two transfer windows and the support of the board to make the necessary changes to the squad.

I just don’t get the infatuation with Pochettino. He’s never won a single trophy in 10 years of management. You’d think he’d have at least as good a record as, say, Steve McLaren. Or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for that matter. He’s bought well, and he has a system. But I’d rather see if Ole can bring back our culture and commitment to youth.
It's become a fetishisation at this point. There's not a manager available in world football that has the experience necessary to rebuild United. Solskjær may not be the answer to all the questions but he can certainly lay some foundations that have been stripped away by previous management.

It also goes to show the amount of the Caf that have genuine real life management experience. If any of them did they'd know changing a workplace culture takes about a year and a hell of a lot of recruitment involved also.

Saffron

United fans are just as petulant with managers but weirdly protective of average players. Madrid fans would have driven every one of our Lingard level players to China themselves, but we have large swathes incessantly defending their right to be here. And then they act surprised when average players get you average results.

The typical United fan doesn’t ever want to sell a player, but prefers to keep every last bit of dross as ”useful squad options”.

No wonder United have only ever sold 4 players for more than £20m. We’re a graveyard for talent since 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.