g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sereques

It was certainly a mistake to do it when they did. There was always the danger of things turning to shit and then where are you left? Going into next season with another lame duck. Not that any of this is Solskjaer’s fault but what was gained by doing it?
Hindsight is 20/20. If he wasn’t given permanent deal back then and we lost Ole because we weren’t serious enough, he will be blamed again and calls for him to be sacked. Damn if you do, Damn if you don’t.

Ole’s appointment was the right one. There is no better manager available at that time neither will there be a better one at the end of the season. You all can rollover and die now, I believe the best person to fix this is Ole.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Hindsight is 20/20. If he wasn’t given permanent deal back then and we lost Ole because we weren’t serious enough, he will be blamed again and calls for him to be sacked. Damn if you do, Damn if you don’t.

Ole’s appointment was the right one. There is no better manager available at that time neither will there be a better one at the end of the season. You all can rollover and die now, I believe the best person to fix this is Ole.
A way better manager was already in charge; his advice was not followed. Best quote of the day: "by appointing Ole they did Pochettino a favor."

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I remember watching a video of big time United hater Craig Burley just as Ole was given the contract and he was saying at the time that it was way too premature. I couldn't help but agree with him.

Bojan11

Lost Ole to who exactly?

Godfather

Can anyone actually see what kind of football he wants us to play? Any uniqueness or characteristics? People mention Klopp struggling at first too. But you could see what he was trying to build. Can't see ANYTHING with Ole apart from getting worse and worse with each and every game.

The thing I can see is that we lost any danger going forward that we had. 1 shot on target in 90 mins against City at home. 1 shot on target against Barca. Horrific.

Sing you a song

Ole needs and deserves our support he inherited a team of individuals many of whom were known to have a bad attitude.
This Sunday he should send a clear message for the future , the likes of Martial , Sanchez , Lukaku should be dropped from the squad entirely and Greenwood, Chong , Gomez should be on the bench . I would also drop Degea from the team to show him he cannot hold is to ransom , Romero won’t let us down

Kaglish10

BS. We don’t have worse squad than spurs. Poch makes average players look good.
Which of the average players did he make to look good? Wanyama? Dier? Lamella? Even Alli has been awful.

Poch has the likes of Eriksen, Kane, Son, Loris Vertoghen and Alderweireld to thank. Others have been bang average. Moura and Sissoko have put in good shift with their pace and work rates. Also, Winks who's been a good recycler and nothing else but others? Bang average!

The fact is there's nothing Poch would have done with a squad like ours. It's high time we accepted it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I wasn't a fan of Mourinho's football at all. I don't like the results orientated style. I respected that he was a winner and was hopeful he could bring success back to us in the short-term, but was glad by the end that he had gone. It had got all too petty and toxic.

It's not kneejerk from me at all. I was far from convinced he was the right appointment from the start.

I don't think it's strange, Ole is a conservative manager.

Have you seen our setup? We play very deep, then launch it forward in the channels for Rashford to chase.
Of course it's the plan for Young & co to do that. We love a good chase up the pitch under Ole.

He's constantly on about how we just need to run more, never any focus on the technical/tactical side. He's not just saying this. It shows, come match-day.

How can Ole be exempt from criticism when he's been here for 4 months now. We should be seeing some evidence of his coaching by now. All i can see is us looking more and more clueless by the week, getting outplayed by everyone we come across. In the past month or so, he's got outplayed by Nuno twice, Pellegrini who's West Ham had the better of us at home, Javi Gracia who's Watford had the better of us at home too & Marco Silva's Everton. Forget City, those are the matches that i form my opinion on. If he can't even get the better of them, what chance has he got vs the rest of the top 6?

7 losses from 9 is a tragic record. You would think it's Moyes out there at the minute. Say what you want about Mourinho, it never got this bad under him.

I don't see any top talent (which everyone hopes we'll get) looking at this side under Ole, thinking "I can't wait to join him, they're going places."

I would really like to know what is the reason for the continued faith in Ole?

Is it just blind optimism?
This is exactly how I feel too, although I was more excited by the prospect of Mourinho. There’s just nothing right now. Every team picked is so inconsistent from the last and the strategy remains completely incoherent. I’ve got no idea how Ole will want to play next season and no idea which players Ole will want to build around, which will be happy to stay, and no idea who can be convinced to sign up to join this.

redIndianDevil

I wasn't a fan of Mourinho's football at all. I don't like the results orientated style. I respected that he was a winner and was hopeful he could bring success back to us in the short-term, but was glad by the end that he had gone. It had got all too petty and toxic.

It's not kneejerk from me at all. I was far from convinced he was the right appointment from the start.

Have you seen our setup? We play very deep, then launch it forward in the channels for Rashford to chase.
Of course it's the plan for Young & co to do that. We love a good chase up the pitch under Ole.

He's constantly on about how we just need to run more, never any focus on the technical/tactical side. He's not just saying this. It shows, come match-day.

How can Ole be exempt from criticism when he's been here for 4 months now. We should be seeing some evidence of his coaching by now. All i can see is us looking more and more clueless by the week, getting outplayed by everyone we come across. In the past month or so, he's got outplayed by Nuno twice, Pellegrini who's West Ham had the better of us at home, Javi Gracia who's Watford had the better of us at home too & Marco Silva's Everton. Forget City, those are the matches that i form my opinion on. If he can't even get the better of them, what chance has he got vs the rest of the top 6?

7 losses from 9 is a tragic record. You would think it's Moyes out there at the minute. Say what you want about Mourinho, it never got this bad under him.

I don't see any top talent (which everyone hopes we'll get) looking at this side under Ole, thinking "I can't wait to join him, they're going places."

It is blind optimism and the top red stuff. I don't understand why there are a lot of people here who are willing to give time to every other clueless manager being appointed here just because we had SAF manage us for 20+ years. It's absolutely idiotic, it's absolutely clear that Ole has no clue how to setup this side, if he wants to play counter attack, he should watch how Wolved did Arsenal yesterday, that's counter attacking not hit long and chase.

Judas

Open to offers

Ole wasn't going to ever be "lost" though was he? He'd have just gone back to Molde if we didn't want him. It's not as if clubs would be lining up to hire him, everyone knows why it worked when he came back here. He wasn't going to be headhunted by Barca.

dove

Which of the average players did he make to look good? Wanyama? Dier? Lamella? Even Alli has been awful.

Poch has the likes of Eriksen, Kane, Son, Loris Vertoghen and Alderweireld to thank. Others have been bang average. Moura and Sissoko have put in good shift with their pace and work rates. Also, Winks who's been a good recycler and nothing else but others? Bang average!

The fact is there's nothing Poch would have done with a squad like ours. It's high time we accepted it.
I think you just basically confirmed that Spurs team is average. Apart from Eriksen, Kane, Son, Loris Vertoghen and Alderweireld I don't think there are many (if any) other players that would improve our side. It reminds me when Jose said that Spurs improved this year by... not selling anyone.

Jerome Holland

I have been reading all types of responses and here is my 2 cents. When having ex players as pundits ala Roy Keane, Gary Neville (who is awesome on sky) you get to different levels of the conversation. We have ex players criticizing players left right and center. Roy and Gary are honest to an extent but remember they played with Ole, he is their friend which does not help when trying to give an honest opinion. We have a tactically inept coach which nobody speaks about. We criticized Jose but in all fairness he would never lose this amount of games in succession. Ole switches from back 4 to back 5 every single week. He plays out of form players because they were in the academy, i see this allegiance he has to Rashford and Lingard which are unfounded. Its sickening that they did not wait until the summer to make a proper decision and not an emotional one.

RG 11

It's pretty sad to see so many people turn on him already. He has inherited a horribly imbalanced and mentally weak squad. Players down tools the second they are criticized and some of them don't give a feck to put in a professional performance.

He needs time at least a couple of seasons to get rid of the horrible rot and bring in quality players. He ran into a horrible injury crises and has been largely unlucky with the mess inherited (Herrera contract situation, De Gea with the worst performances of his career + contract situation, Pogba's mind in Madrid etc). I mean the squad doesn't have a functioning right hand side. What he achieved in Paris is a miracle. I saw posters line up to defend managers who gave 0 fecks about United like Moyes, Lvg and mourinho but with Ole people are turning after half a season. The guy is a club legend and loves the club more than all three combined.

Also I genuinely have no idea what the club structure is right now in terms of signings. Do we even have any useful scouts considering our track record? Is ole support to just hand Woody a list and Woody negotiates (horribly based on his record)? It's all a bit of a shambles.

Needham

Completely agree. Poch has done wonders with what he has over there.
We unquestionably have a worse core than Spurs. Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen even Sissoko and one or two others would be nailed on starters for us. Poch is a brilliant motivator and has done wonders to keep on producing results despite being forced to stand still in squad terms.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Geez, are you his mother or something?

Ole wasn't some big in-demand manager that could be lost without being tied down. He loves this club so much, he'd probably work for free and no way would he be leaving even without a permanent deal.

To claim there's no better manager available is just crazy, just what kind of resume does Ole boast? Now, I'm not saying he can turn this around, but you're really deluded about Ole's credentials.

He's been hired now, he gets a transfer window, let's see what happens.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We unquestionably have a worse core than Spurs. Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen even Sissoko and one or two others would be nailed on starters for us. Poch is a brilliant motivator and has done wonders to keep on producing results despite being forced to stand still in squad terms.
Said it a few times but I don't rate Eriksen or Alli as highly as most. Nevermind Sissoko. Kane and Son are fab, though. The fact that Poch has got Sissoko, Alli and Eriksen (to name a few) performing to the levels they are playing it is a testament to his coaching, and I think he'd do the same with some of our lot. It's why I've wanted him here since 2013. He, next to Pep, was my first choice to replace Sir Alex.

Oh, well. We just have to hope Ole does well now.

Judas

Open to offers

I was so distracted by the first half of the post I didn't realise how bad the second part is. How on earth can you say such crap so confidently? To say Ole was the only choice is just so laughably ignorant I can't actually believe anyone believes it.

He was a good choice for caretaker, we'll know this time next season if making it permanent was the correct decision.

acnumber9

Where was he going to go? Ole would’ve accepted the job no matter what.

JoaquinJoaquin

If Ole does in fact only sign 2-3 players in Summer which he said he will, and sticks with the majority of this useless squad then he will be sacked by Christmas.

Renegade

Anyone who suggested we don’t sign him during that amazing run was called an idiot on here.
It never made sense to hire him without knowing how he can manage when things weren’t going well. The caretaker role is completely different beast to permanent. If he came in as the permanent manager straight of the bat no way that run we had still happens. His done brilliant to get us into this position but surely the sensible thing would be to assess the decision at the end of the season? No other club was going to come in for him and he wouldn’t have walked away so what was the harm?

Be intresting to see how he deals with this De Gea situation now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you work on some job for 5 months, no matter how shit your starting position is, you must show some progress in that 5 months.
Our style is still non existent. When you play in defensive shape at OT against West Ham and Watford after 4 months in charge that is big problem.
At least show me something. It does not need to be perfect( and can't in that short period) but show me glimpses of something on which you will work next season.
I see defensive football without any attacking idea. And that is my biggest problem with him.

mu4c_20le

What about getting the better of Sarri? Getting the better of Emery, Tuchel, and even Pochetinno himself? Did those results disappear, or do they not count because they fall under some sort of magic spell known as the honeymoon period? One sided much?

I would really like to know why you are basing all of this on the last 9 games, two of which we were widely expected to lose anyways.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If you work on some job for 5 months, no matter how shit your starting position is, you must show some progress in that 5 months.
Our style is still non existent. When you play in defensive shape at OT against West Ham and Watford after 4 months in charge that is big problem.
At least show me something. It does not need to be perfect( and can't in that short period) but show me glimpses of something on which you will work next season.
I see defensive football without any attacking idea. And that is my biggest problem with him.
He has already showed it and when players were not up for it, he changed it again.

Shark

@NotShark
Can anyone actually see what kind of football he wants us to play? Any uniqueness or characteristics? People mention Klopp struggling at first too. But you could see what he was trying to build. Can't see ANYTHING with Ole apart from getting worse and worse with each and every game.

The thing I can see is that we lost any danger going forward that we had. 1 shot on target in 90 mins against City at home. 1 shot on target against Barca. Horrific.
This is it. A lot of people seem to be turning a blind eye to what’s occurred over the past month and a bit, in order to make themselves feel better about next season. Regardless of the players Ole is working with, we shouldn’t under any circumstances be getting thumped 4-0 to Everton. That’s just appalling tactics and coaching.

UncleBob

:lol:

Roboc7

My initial reaction was that no matter how well he did he should have only been the caretaker, I did start to cave but feel that initial thoughts were correct.

Looking at it now who would the board have appointed who wouldn’t have been a mistake, Poch was never going to happen so I have no idea who they’d have gone for and maybe they didn’t either.

Spurs, Liverpool and City are all brilliantly coached teams. City and Liverpool recruit very well and City are backed by huge resources.

We have money but that’s it, I have no idea what manager would succeed here. Ourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal have all been left behind, if Spurs spend some money they will kick on as well.

Our whole club is one mistake after another.

Jerome Holland

Anyone who suggested we don’t sign him during that amazing run was called an idiot on here.
It never made sense to hire him without knowing how he can manage when things weren’t going well. The caretaker role is completely different beast to permanent. If he came in as the permanent manager straight of the bat no way that run we had still happens. His done brilliant to get us into this position but surely the sensible thing would be to assess the decision at the end of the season? No other club was going to come in for him and he wouldn’t have walked away so what was the harm?

Be interesting to see how he deals with this De Gea situation now.
Exactly my point. This whole argument of United needing to bring back players because of this and that is garbage. Ole won the league with Molde ranked the 24th best league in Europe on Uefa's co-efficient ranking. Pep,Klopp,Poch all never played for the clubs they are currently managing. Ole doesnt have a cooking clue. i had a discussion with my mates about how he is always talking to his technical staff like he is looking for answers.

We pay exorbitant amounts on kits and jackets. We have the right to speak our mind. Look at his substitutions? He makes changes in the 80th minute when the game is gone which he did at Barca too. we were chasing this game long before the 65th minute and yet he sat there like a manager out of his depth.

Viral United

1) When Ole take job in December we all expecting one of worse season in PL but Ole did steady our ship atleast for while, not only we play better we also start talking about top 4 place again, and if our form was continue we could have finish 3.

2) If you compare our PL season pre JM and post JM we can easily say we play better post JM while having JM team, so in other word Ole manage JM's team better then JM.

3) When you compare last 9 game we also need to remember his previous game as well, we beat Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs away can you remember when was the last time that happen?

4) I also frustrated by Young and Rashford, but let be frank, if not young who is going to play there?, if not rashford who is going to play there? It's not like we have great players siting on our bench.

5) Ole did try to change system,
- we start to play high press system, but our players didn't drill enough and now they look like tired from start of game.
- Injuries also did play his part.
- We try to play from back but and for one reason to another we start making silly mistake and its ended in goals.

We don't have blind faith in Ole,
But we have to give him preseason and transfer window before we do our judgement. Its really stupid to think he is not right person at all.
He show he can do a job, and we also know our players are shit and need replacing. So how about give him time what he need?

Sylar

The decision to appoint him (and not wait until end of season) is crazy as there was no rush. Only way it would have made sense is if we were trying to make early deals for players and telling them "we have a manager and this is ourplan for next year". However I think thats more me hoping that was the case. Reality is probably Ed will wait until end of pre-season after he attends it.

fallengt

Lost Ole to who? Frickin Molde?

Read your post again and this time try not to laugh

ForestRGoinUp

We should still be bringing in Paul Mitchell as DoF. Would be nice to see us put in a long term plan for getting Pochetinno in.

It's funny all the Top Reds with blind faith in Ole (and frankly every manager) have been the ones constantly getting it wrong for the past 6 years, yet they act like anyone who questions these decisions is some glory supporter.

ForestRGoinUp

1) When Ole take job in December we all expecting one of worse season in PL but Ole did steady our ship atleast for while, not only we play better we also start talking about top 4 place again, and if our form was continue we could have finish 3.

2) If you compare our PL season pre JM and post JM we can easily say we play better post JM while having JM team, so in other word Ole manage JM's team better then JM.

3) When you compare last 9 game we also need to remember his previous game as well, we beat Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs away can you remember when was the last time that happen?

4) I also frustrated by Young and Rashford, but let be frank, if not young who is going to play there?, if not rashford who is going to play there? It's not like we have great players siting on our bench.

5) Ole did try to change system,
- we start to play high press system, but our players didn't drill enough and now they look like tired from start of game.
- Injuries also did play his part.
- We try to play from back but and for one reason to another we start making silly mistake and its ended in goals.

We don't have blind faith in Ole,
But we have to give him preseason and transfer window before we do our judgement. Its really stupid to think he is not right person at all.
He show he can do a job, and we also know our players are shit and need replacing. So how about give him time what he need?
It doesn't help when he seems to be given all the credit for an obvious new manager bounce in the beginning, and none of the blame for the recent run. That line of thinking is quite stupid, in all honesty.

Ronaldo's Love Child

We didn't need hindsight to know we were creating a problem for ourselves by appointing OGS earlier than originally announced.

It was made VERY clear to OGS and everyone else that he was being appointed on an interim basis. He was as happy as a kid on Christmas Day whenever he spoke to the press just to be given this opportunity. He knew the terms of his contract and he would have been happy to continue to the end of the season at least in the knowledge that he had done an amazing audition and put himself into the frame for the permanent manager's position.

United went on an amazing winning streak maybe because of OGS or maybe because he simply wasn't Mourinho (or maybe a bit of both).

At that point if we would have allowed the status quo to remain then we would have been no worse off but instead the Board pandered to public opinion and went against their earlier intention by announcing him as the next permanent manager. At a time when we desperately need to be sending a message out we had a clear strategy moving forward we succeeded in doing the exact opposite.

The losing streak since the PSG game is actually incidental. I wouldn't even have a problem if we STILL announced OGS as permanent manager at the end of the season but we should do what we say we're going to do otherwise we look like reactionary headless chickens !

Amir

It doesn't help when he seems to be given all the credit for an obvious new manager bounce in the beginning, and none of the blame for the recent run. That line of thinking is quite stupid, in all honesty.
But awfully comforting, which, let's be honest, is all we have left. ;)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Wow, just... wow!

Lost Ole... Manchester United - the biggest club job in British footy, the 3rd biggest managerial job ON EARTH... and Ole, a failed, relegated Cardiff boss, at Molde for 3 years where not 1 PL has been interested in him...

And you think, somehow, that we needed to close the deal... that's honestly incredible.

You do understand that barring Guardiola and Klopp, we could have anyone in the PL we wanted, right? Anyone.

Even if you erroneously discount Pochettino from that, you've got at least 14 managers that are proven better candidates than OGS just sat there, in your own league.

It was, I think, Woodward's worst decision yet - and I'm including Moyes in that.

This is a manager proven worse than Moyes, but with the fanbase in love with their memories of him as a player, being given license to rip up our squad and then spend millions to rebuild us, as Liverpool and City are at their strongest.

This is a footballing nightmare.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I feel it is a little exaggerated, Kane and Eriksen really the only two world class players Spurs have.

Son is great, power, pace and lethal on either foot, but a tad below Sterling, Mo Salah, and Hazard, certainly never mentioned alongside these players. Probably better than what we have however with Martial just not living up to his potential.

Alli good but young and a bit inconsistent, tbf he has had an alright season, will always be compared to that season he scored like 15 goals or something. Sissoko has been good but people honestly think he is as good as Pogba? Apart from that, Dier? Average footballer who offers nothing going forward. Wanyama, Winks, Lamela, these three seem injured 90% of the time. Moura has been good off the bench for them, but not in the same league as the Hazard's of the world.

The CB's fair enough Vertonghen, Alderweieirreield are a good defense, probably both start over our CB's. Lloris, seems drunk half the time, Fullbacks for them have been bang average this season, Shaw would start over Davies and Rose who both have been merely ok this season with some injuries thrown in for good measure. The only reason Trippier would get a spot is because despite how bad he has been, Young has probably been worse.

ForestRGoinUp

Wow, just... wow!

Lost Ole... Manchester United - the biggest club job in British footy, the 3rd biggest managerial job ON EARTH... and Ole, a failed, relegated Cardiff boss, at Molde for 3 years where not 1 PL has been interested in him...

And you think, somehow, that we needed to close the deal... that's honestly incredible.

You do understand that barring Guardiola and Klopp, we could have anyone in the PL we wanted, right? Anyone.

Even if you erroneously discount Pochettino from that, you've got at least 14 managers that are proven better candidates than OGS just sat there, in your own league.

It was, I think, Woodward's worst decision yet - and I'm including Moyes in that.

This is a manager proven worse than Moyes, but with the fanbase in love with their memories of him as a player, being given license to rip up our squad and then spend millions to rebuild us, as Liverpool and City are at their strongest.

This is a footballing nightmare.
Ole's managerial career might have been better off had he respectfully declined the offer and told the club to get their shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.