Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
There's no guarantee everyone's beloved Poch could handle the size of the task here, the pressure and expectation at Spurs is nothing like Man United. Jose bought most of the shite and complained about it afterwards, complete contradiction! People have a right to question certain things, but to write him off already is utterly ridiculous. He can be our Pep/Zidane, he's a young modern style manager who will die to succeed here, give him a break and some players! Pep couldn't do shit with this team he would have sold everyone! So judge next season.
This is part of the delusionary and destructive attitude that United needs to drop as part of any attempted re-building of a dynasty. It ties in with the equally destructive "it's the league title or nothing" attitude that some United fans adopt.

Times have changed. No one (outside of a few delusionary United fans) expects United to be winning the league title anytime soon. No one even expects that you'll finish in the top 4 next season - instead they expect that you'll have a decent chance of top 4, but easily might not make it given that there are 5 other reasonably strong or else very strong contenders.

Godfather

We didn’t dominate teams. We were slightly better than under Mourinho and got results. I remember people in one of the other Ole threads saying we were winning games against the run of play and that it wasn’t sustainable but they were drowned by “Ole’s at the wheel!!” type posts. Plenty of people voiced concerns early

Finally some sense. Especially in our last wins under Ole we looked fecking shit and pretty much fluked it.

Zoo

This is part of the delusionary and destructive attitude that United needs to drop as part of any attempted re-building of a dynasty. It ties in with the equally destructive "it's the league title or nothing" attitude that some United fans adopt.

Times have changed. No one (outside of a few delusionary United fans) expects United to be winning the league title anytime soon. No one even expects that you'll finish in the top 4 next season - instead they expect that you'll have a decent chance of top 4, but easily might not make it given that there are 5 other reasonably strong or else very strong contenders.
What he said was accurate. United are a soap opera, the media scrutiny is immense and relentless. Look what it did to Mourinho.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What he said was accurate. United are a soap opera, the media scrutiny is immense and relentless. Look what it did to Mourinho.
The media scrutiny is now especially relentless because of United's decline and associated soap-opera antics. There are only two ways to end it:

1) The scrutiny will lessen if the decline continues, because a new "norm" for your club will have been firmly established and it will no longer be of such surprise or interest.

2) The scrutiny will start to lessen if United reverse the decline and show that they are successfully re-building a dynasty.

As I've said, the whole "we are a special case, we are elite, we have higher expectations" (etc. etc.) attitude and pleading needs to stop as part of your getting back on track.

simplyared

Yes it was a mistake and a mega one imo. Now it's down to the board to act and take responsibility. We hung on to Mourinho far too long. We gave him a contract when we didn't need to and now we've done the same with Ole and we're paying for it. Lets not repeat the other mistake and hang on to Ole. We've all been in a fairytale. Now it's over! In with a top proven manager who gets on the touchline engages with his players and has an attidude. I've lived with Scandinavians over half my life. They believe more in a different aproach to leadership and the qualities required. Works for them but not for an institution like Man utd. Took a German to understand what Liverpool was all about. There's another one at the helm at PSG!

Viral United

It doesn't help when he seems to be given all the credit for an obvious new manager bounce in the beginning, and none of the blame for the recent run. That line of thinking is quite stupid, in all honesty.
He should be question for its last match performance I never said that I am happy with his latest performance.
We need to remember when he was appointed where we were and were we are now.
The stupidity is calling him out without giving him one Transfer window and per-season.

ForestRGoinUp

He should be question for its last match performance I never said that I am happy with his latest performance.
We need to remember when he was appointed where we were and were we are now.
The stupidity is calling him out without giving him one Transfer window and per-season.
I think some just see the stupidity in falling for a new manager bounce and giving the guy the keys to the castle.

Edit: *crumbling* castle

Last edited:

Boxing Clever

Supports
Southend United
There's no guarantee everyone's beloved Poch could handle the size of the task here, the pressure and expectation at Spurs is nothing like Man United. Jose bought most of the shite and complained about it afterwards, complete contradiction! People have a right to question certain things, but to write him off already is utterly ridiculous. He can be our Pep/Zidane, he's a young modern style manager who will die to succeed here, give him a break and some players! Pep couldn't do shit with this team he would have sold everyone! So judge next season.
People say that the pressure of being at Man United is so huge: How is that true? You get more tabloid column inches and criticism? Managers and players don't usually read it anyway. More pressure from fans? Matchgoing fans are usually very supportive and are certainly not hostile, even when things are going badly.

And how is the pressure of being a professional footballer/manager particularly stressful compared to other jobs - say a pilot or in the emergency services, or a clinician in a hospital emergency department? It just isn't really, is it?

All the talk of pressure being a defining factor in anything is a load of bollocks in my opinion.

El Zoido

Ole will be a legend if he turns down the permanent job offer and steps down at end of the season.
Or people will call him a quitter. It’s a bad situation, I feel for him. I don’t think he’s a bad manager but he’s inexperienced, and a club with this much instability isn’t the best place to be for any manager, let alone one just starting out at this level. I’d be amazed if he’s still in a job by Christmas.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Or people will call him a quitter. It’s a bad situation, I feel for him. I don’t think he’s a bad manager but he’s inexperienced, and a club with this much instability isn’t the best place to be for any manager, let alone one just starting out at this level. I’d be amazed if he’s still in a job by Christmas.
I actually think he is a worst choise than Moyes was.

RE1999

So just for the record the problem is the manager (Moyes, LVG, Jose and OGS) and not the way the club is run.

Seems rather unlikely that 2 proven top class managers, one experience manager and one unproven manager are to blame....

ForestRGoinUp

It's just...the more you think about it, the worse it sounds...

It is not in any way unrealistic to think that in 2 years time there could (should) be an entirely new starting XI, or maybe more likely 8 or 9 new starters. And we've just handed the responsibility of overseeing that to a guy with no experience whatsoever at this level, who seems to hold a more romantic view of the club than even the toppest of reds here.

What we're hearing is that we're going to work harder than any other team. This, if even achievable, could only ever give a marginal advantage considering how hard every team works.

What we're also hearing is that we need players with United DNA, something that doesn't exist.

SouthPredators4

Come on now. He is playing a bunch of overrated, over-the-hill or inept players. At least give him a window before judging.

edgar allan

For the sake of the club. He isnt good enough.
He has still got all Jose's terrible buys. Ferguson nor Busby at the peak of their management powers could have done any more.
Let's give him a couple of seasons to try and get in players good enough for the club.

Red00012

Yes ok I know he did ok some how and put us back to challenge for 4th but losing 7 games out of last 9? What's your excuse?
There was always going to be a dip in form at some stage 2 of the games were against Barcelona, one was away v arsenal where he won one there already and one was against city who we are miles behind.
I could mention wolves who have the best record against the top 6 teams in the league, but I don’t think we should be losing to them twice.

grahamo

Ole's the manager. Back him! He hasn't even had the chance to sign a player yet. There isn't a manager in the world that could have done better with that squad of losers. I believe ole and his staff will turn this around. Good luck to them!

ForestRGoinUp

Ole's the manager. Back him! He hasn't even had the chance to sign a player yet. There isn't a manager in the world that could have done better with that squad of losers. I believe ole and his staff will turn this around. Good luck to them!
They have so much experience doing just that after all! Hooray!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The problem Ole might have is that yes there are players who need to go, but it might be players he didn't want to go who actually do go. Then he could be left with the most inept of his squad to build round. Which is not ideal.

edgar allan

The problem Ole might have is that yes there are players who need to go, but it might be players he didn't want to go who actually do go. Then he could be left with the most inept of his squad to build round. Which is not ideal.
Add in a club that expects that a couple of players and 150 million will turn around this sinking ship and players signed on huge undeserved long contracts and we have a perfect storm.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Add in a club that expects that a couple of players and 150 million will turn around this sinking ship and players signed on huge undeserved long contracts and we have a perfect storm.
It is the fact that people are saying we can get players on cheaper pay than the ones going. Well if they see say someone like Herrera going to PSG for the supposed £200k and said player is supposedly replacing him, then they might just say well I am you think I am as good as him and want that sort of money.

edgar allan

It is the fact that people are saying we can get players on cheaper pay than the ones going. Well if they see say someone like Herrera going to PSG for the supposed £200k and said player is supposedly replacing him, then they might just say well I am you think I am as good as him and want that sort of money.
Agreed, We will long regret destroying any sense of a pay structure with the Sanchez signing

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's been in the job for 4 months. How about giving the guy a fair crack at the whip before you throw him to the wolves?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Can we honestly lock this thread, it's one of the most embarrassing threads I have ever seen posted on the caf.

Four months in, no pre-season, no players signed, performing well above expected.

OP of this thread should be ashamed and, honestly, put back in the noob forum. Cringe.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
We didn’t dominate teams. We were slightly better than under Mourinho and got results. I remember people in one of the other Ole threads saying we were winning games against the run of play and that it wasn’t sustainable but they were drowned by “Ole’s at the wheel!!” type posts. Plenty of people voiced concerns early

Thank you. I didn't know.

fergieisold

Wolves have already torn him apart, twice!
Jesus, FA cup maybe but league game was a little unlucky. We should have had 2/3 in the first half. And then people seem to be ignoring the fact the other lost games were against barcelona and City!! Amazing that some think Ole should be winning those. We played well vs City and well vs Barcelona in the first leg.

Ole is right, Everton was the real standout bad game.

Infra-red

Torn us apart?? Utter nonsense.

Outplayed in the FA cup but were architects of our own downfall in the league game
Jesus, FA cup maybe but league game was a little unlucky. We should have had 2/3 in the first half. And then people seem to be ignoring the fact the other lost games were against barcelona and City!! Amazing that some think Ole should be winning those. We played well vs City and well vs Barcelona in the first leg.

Ole is right, Everton was the real standout bad game.
It was a joke - the poster above said some fans are ready to throw Ole to the Wolves and... oh... nevermind.

Roll on May. This season can't be over soon enough!

Jackal

He's been in the job for 4 months. How about giving the guy a fair crack at the whip before you throw him to the wolves?
A fair crack of the whip while United's rival strengthens? Ole should do the honourable thing and step down in the summer. He's out of his depth.

You don't lose 7 games in 9 and ask for more time. There's no mitigating factor in such a poor run of results.

Let's not forget he said "the quality of the squad is unbelievable" when he was hired. He cannot say that back then and change his stance after 4 months.

daekyun

At the point in season when Jose was let go, I don't think any interim manager could have turned around the team anyway. Not even Poch, Zidane or Sir Alex!

I don't think people would be this harsh on Ole if he didn't have the winning streak and then the losing streak.
Would we feel better if we had won both Wolves games but had lost to spurs and arsenal?
Just feel the winning streak raised the expectations too much and did himself (Ole) no good.

DSG

Can we honestly lock this thread, it's one of the most embarrassing threads I have ever seen posted on the caf.

Four months in, no pre-season, no players signed, performing well above expected.

OP of this thread should be ashamed and, honestly, put back in the noob forum. Cringe.
Agree. I don’t see why the forums should be hijacked by illogical posters who are trolling....

BigRon1985

I actually think he is a worst choise than Moyes was.
Is it just me but is he starting to sound like Moyes with all those cliched soundbites about work rate, running, fitness, the United way etc?

He’s even beginning to look like Moyes! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.