Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fts 74

I love Ole,but I do get the impression with him sometimes that he still cant believe hes the Utd manager.

The big question for me is, does he genuinely think he can turn it around, does he have enough belief in his own ability to do it?

In the real world, when I became a manager a few years ago, I was promoted from within so I just carried on as usual with the staff as i'd always done before my promotion, until I was sat down and told things are different now I need to start acting like a manager, it took a while but I got there.

Now,im not suggesting its like that with Ole, but these players and any new ones, really need to look at him as if hes an elite manager of one of the biggest football clubs in the world,what he says/does has to carry weight or they'll throw him under the bus.

I think like most of us,hes desperate to get to the end of the season and now knows who he wants to get rid of and try and bring in,but until then,hes trying to keeping these players onside.

Im willing to give him a chance,and ill get behind him like I have all the others, but the lunatics running the asylum really do need to step up and give him what he needs to make us successful again.

EngimaMK

Blame Ole as much as you like, and I'd probably agree that he kmaybe isn't the right man to deliver the turn around we need. However, it isn't Ole's fault that Smalling and Jones are still two of our top defenders. It isn't Ole's fault that Ashley Young is the only suitable man to be playing at right back every week. It isn't his fault that we have Matic huffing and puffing around the pitch every week. It isn't because of Ole that Sanchez is at this club and is the best paid player in the league for simple putting a shirt on. Nor did he choose a flat-footed Lukaku as his main cutting edge. This squad is not good enough, Ole or no Ole. This squad is pathetic.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I think you are confusing 'Pressure' with 'Challenge'. Substitute the word in the quoted post, it will be correct. Pochettino has faced and is facing all the challenges you claim. But pressure comes with expectation. Requirement to do something. If Pochettino doesn't reach final, meh. if pochettino doesn't keep spurs in top 4, meh (he has injuries and transfer policy to fall back on, but life moves on, he won't be fired). Bottomline - no, Pochettino doesn't face the same pressure as a United manager would. FACT.
Expectation? Very people expect that United will finish top 4 this season. Very people expect that United will finish top 4 next season - they expect you'll have a decent chance, but recognise that there will be 5 other strong or very strong contenders and that United are in a bit of a mess currently.

United, as a club, really aren't doing themselves any favours with this "expectation" nonsense. Times have changed. You need to rebuild a dynasty and that won't happen quickly - to continue to focus on shoot-term expectations is the last thing you need.

MisterLupus

The club should have waited until May before deciding on OGS's appointment. I don't understand what the rush was for. It's not like there was a queue of other top clubs battling for his signature. By any standards, 7 losses in 9 matches is a dreadful run.
These are also dreadful circumstances though - all of which I believe the manager has no influence over whatsoever. I don't know if Solskjær will be a hit - in fact if some of the transfer rumors I've heard are true I'm somewhat skeptic as he seems to be going for young players (which is good) but second-rate ones more suited for Europa League than of Champions League quality so my main concern with him is that he'll carry with him something of a small-club mentality at a time where we need to flex our muscles and get the best talents out there into our fold. But skepticism aside - it's silly season anyways so all rumors in regards to potential targets are probably utter bullcrap - he should be given next season to prove himself.

To me this comes down to these simple facts - these three things I am 100% sure of despite all other uncertainties:

1) He's given it his all for this club and saved us on so many occasions plus he's as loyal and committed to us now as he ever was during his playing career meaning he'd probably be even more disappointed in himself than even the biggest edgelords on this forum if he didn't succeed here. He deserves a fair chance and it would be so undignified telling him to sod off at this point when he's not even been given the opportunity to build his own team that it's actually quite telling and pretty astonishing how petty and shameless some supporters are for even suggesting it.

2) It would be such an adventure if he did in fact turn the tide and shape us into champions again. Just imagine our old supersub hero returning once more - as a sub even - and then ending up saving the day for us again. We're talking stuff of legends here almost unparalleled in club history - so it's well worth the risk especially considering we're already bellies up in a pool of agony anyways meaning there's nothing left to lose.

Then there's this...

...the third and foremost) Nothing I've seen since he took over and nothing I saw during the last months of Mourinho for that matter (a man I find it so hard to stomach that I actually celebrated his departure by the way so don't think I'm positively biased towards him) - absolutely nothing of it - leads me to believe our manager was ever the main issue. I'm with Keane on this one - and I've said it for a long time ever since Van Gaal in fact - that we have too many crooked egos in the squad that are not playing for anyone but themselves - lacking the passion and drive reqiured to carry us forth. "Bluffers" he called them and I tend to agree because we've seen all of them perform at their best (here or elsewhere) and they are world class when they bother showing up - but some of them has been totally absent for us and others so inconsistent it should be quite clear for most supporters by now that beyond their paychecks none of these give a rat's ass about this club and that their hearts have never truly settled here at all.

These players are poison to the entire outfit making it impossible for any manager to create the stability needed for success - either in need of a serious reality check or the boot. Otherwise - if we don't fix this - we could get Pep, Zidane, Klopp and Poch all in here at once with Solskjær as mascot running around the field plus a cloned Sir Alex in the making ready to take over twenty years from now and we'd still be eternally stuck on the same turd.

Last edited:

Reddy Rederson

I bet you couldn't believe people were praising the manager when we were that great run? That how football works, you win you praised you lose you get brickbats.
Well that’s pretty fecking stupid them isn’t it? Ole got them playing well, well done ole. And once again the players are playing the same way as under Jose. But it’s never the players, right? It’s always the “toxic” managers. :rolleyes:

Reddy Rederson

So, winning run = Ole made a fight of it

Losing run = Ole has nothing to do with this, not his responsibility or fault. Players are trash and it’s 100% Mourinho’s fault. Not even Ferguson or Busby in their prime could or would do better.

:lol:
Or, ole wasn’t here during Jose’s time and once again Pogba is showing his true colours as player who couldn’t give a feck. But, no. Let’s just blame ole.

TsuWave

That's a bit simplistic summary of the posters on CAF who are still behind Ole.
I think it's more like
bruv, I beg you read the posts, that’s literally what was said, here:

Ferguson nor Busby at the peak of their management powers could have done any more.
We were miles away from challenging for a top 4 place when he arrived and despite inheriting a very limited team of players he made a fight of it.
They are not his players....all blame is on Jose 100%
see.

also, Ole has set us up for counters from the go so I don’t know where you guys got this whole attacking, some next man even said “dominating”, football thing from. Hell, Van Gaal has had his foot on Ole’s neck in the press for a minute now, because he sets us up to counter/park the bus.

and then you went on to list a bunch of “hard” teams we had to play as if it justifies Manchester United having a 7 losses in 9 games record.

Our manager is inept. He is way out of his depth. His managerial history is relegating Cardiff and managing in a league with part-time fishermen.

This is not the hill to die on.

TsuWave

Or, ole wasn’t here during Jose’s time and once again Pogba is showing his true colours as player who couldn’t give a feck. But, no. Let’s just blame ole.
Yeah, man we have a 7 losses in 9 record because Pogba doesn’t give a feck despite him being instrumental in the run that gave an unqualified Ole the permanent job in the first place.

The fact that you even singled out and/or attempted to attribute this shit to Pogba :lol:

I’m convinced you guys scream “curse you Pogba!!!!” when you spill your coffee in the morning or some shit

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Managers live and die by results. Results got him the United job permanently. Results are now the rod that supporters are beating his back with now.
There is no quick/easy fix for turning United around. He has had the benefit of being in situ to assess the squad. He has seen the best and worst of.
He needs to stop being so deferential to Ferguson and the past history of United. He needs to be his own man and live and die by the choices he makes. He needs to understand this is his chance to write his own chapter in United’s history.
The United board will need to show strength if he hits a wobbly patch in 2019-20 if they truly believe he is the man for the rebuilding of the squad.
Players want to play for Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino. It remains to be seen whether players would join United because of Solskjaer.

edgar allan

bruv, I beg you read the posts, that’s literally what was said, here:
see.

also, Ole has set us up for counters from the go so I don’t know where you guys got this whole attacking, some next man even said “dominating”, football thing from. Hell, Van Gaal has had his foot on Ole’s neck in the press for a minute now, because he sets us up to counter/park the bus.

and then you went on to list a bunch of “hard” teams we had to play as if it justifies Manchester United having a 7 losses in 9 games record.

Our manager is inept. He is way out of his depth. His managerial history is relegating Cardiff and managing in a league with part-time fishermen.

This is not the hill to die on.
Our players are certainly inept, our last manager was most definitely inept ( as were the two before him)
We are 3rd in the league points won since he took over, nothing special but above the level we had been at earlier in the year. Our failings are all on Jose and the players atm.
The rebuilding job at this club is immense, if Ole didn't fully appreciate how much the standards have dropped since he was at the club he certainly does now.

edgar allan

You think our squad isn't much better than that of Everton and Watford?
I think Young, Darmian, Mata, Jones, pereira, Matic, Lingard, Sanchez, martial, Lukaku, Rojo, Bailly, Mc tominey & Fred are little better than players on their first teams and those that have more potential talent are not as committed or driven.

Reddy Rederson

Yeah, man we have a 7 losses in 9 record because Pogba doesn’t give a feck despite him being instrumental in the run that gave an unqualified Ole the permanent job in the first place.

The fact that you even singled out and/or attempted to attribute this shit to Pogba :lol:

I’m convinced you guys scream “curse you Pogba!!!!” when you spill your coffee in the morning or some shit
When did anyone say Pogba was shit? No one did. You just make that claim because you have no answer to the actual criticism aimed at him, which is that jogba isn’t trying. “But, but, but he made two chances”. Two chances, who knew the bar had dropped that low. That’s what world class is now? Lingard must be world class too. It’s easy to be great when everything is going fine, it’s when it all starts going wrong you see who players really are. Our “stars” are all guilty of not giving a feck.

Mcking

Okay 95 % He has continued playing Young when it is obvious that he is absolutely finished and has been slow to leave Matic out also , but he can bring no-one else in and he is stuck with a limited team and players that haven't got the desire or bottle for a fight when required.
That's not ole's fault that is what he inherited from previous managers.

His appointment may/may not turn out to be a success but blaming him for the mess of this season is ridiculous.
Are you really putting the whole blame on Mourinho and others and absolving Solskjaer from any blame for losing 7 in 9 and having us playing awfully for weeks? Managers are meant to manage the situation. If Solskjaer is unable to do so, then he simply shouldn't be a manager.

Mcking

I think Young, Darmian, Mata, Jones, pereira, Matic, Lingard, Sanchez, martial, Lukaku, Rojo, Bailly, Mc tominey & Fred are little better than players on their first teams and those that have more potential talent are not as committed or driven.
The fact you mentioned players that rarely play for us says everything. That our players look unmovitated goes a long way to show the incompetence of the managers we've had at helm.

edgar allan

The fact you mentioned players that rarely play for us says everything. That our players look unmovitated goes a long way to show the incompetence of the managers we've had at helm.
Most of those players play very often

minoo-utd

He needs to work hard in the summer and show us what type of players he will not use and who he will bring in. 1 or 2 additions will never be enough for him to succeed next year. We need minimum of four additions and to axe around 6 7 as a start, also we have this contract situations, so he has to show what he's made of. Not a yes sir type of manager.

edgar allan

Are you really putting the whole blame on Mourinho and others and absolving Solskjaer from any blame for losing 7 in 9 and having us playing awfully for weeks? Managers are meant to manage the situation. If Solskjaer is unable to do so, then he simply shouldn't be a manager.
Like bringing in a new captain to pilot the titanic after it hit the iceberg

Reddy Rederson

The players look like that because they are cnuts. They were cnuts for Jose, and now they’re being cnuts for ole. Why people don’t see the very obvious attitude problems in some of these players I don’t know.

edgar allan

The players look like that because they are cnuts. They were cnuts for Jose, and now they’re being cnuts for ole. Why people don’t see the very obvious attitude problems in some of these players I don’t know.
A few of them have attitude issues but the majority are just no longer good enough and/or their legs have gone

Mcking

Most of those players play very often
We have 15 more points than Everton and 21 more points than West Ham with a manager that you labelled inept managing about half of our games. Imagine how the gap would be if we didn't have a manager that is inept managing half of our games. That says a lot about the difference between our squad and that of the likes of West Ham and Everton. With the same squad, we finished second in the league last season and beat every team when Mourinho actually bothered to do his job. Now you are trying to diminish such squad just to defend a manager that did something which has never been done for about six decades while getting outplayed by every other team. A joke really.

Mcking

Like bringing in a new captain to pilot the titanic after it hit the iceberg
Like bringing in a new manager to manage a team after the previous manager proved to be 'inept'. Maybe the new manager is just as inept as the one he replaced until proven otherwise.

Mcking

Unless being a cnut is our main criteria for signing players, then it takes something special to have a 25-man squad that is completely made up of cnuts. If it was one or two players that has such issues, then good point, but if it is a whole squad that is unable to perform, then the manager simply isn't doing his job correctly as was the case with Mourinho.

Seth.R

Whilst he obviously does deserve some criticism, and I don’t necessarily think he was the perfect man for the job, I still don’t doubt he can do well here at United.

Let’s think back to what we were doing when we were playing well:

• Full-backs pushed all the way up - lots of natural width and lots of passing options.
  • Lots of quick short-passing combination plays (linked to the first point).
  • Pressing the ball aggressively and winning the ball back high up the pitch (leads on from the first point again - we had numbers in advanced areas).
When Ole first came in, he let the reins off and we were playing and attacking with freedom.

I have a feeling that once top four became a real possibility, we’ve held back a bit and have been playing a lot more pragmatically.

This hasn’t been helped by our squad burning out fitness wise, and the loss of form and later dropping of Herrera who was crucial to our style under Ole.

I do feel after a proper break and a full pre-season, Ole can get us playing how we were before again. Add a few quality additions to our squad, and we may be alright.

I don’t think we should expect a title challenge next season though. Our re-building has stopped and restarted multiple times, and we’re having to re-start yet again. Let’s build next season and push for a title challenge the following season.

Reddy Rederson

Unless being a cnut is our main criteria for signing players, then it takes something special to have a 25-man squad that is completely made up of cnuts. If it was one or two players that has such issues, then good point, but if it is a whole squad that is unable to perform, then the manager simply isn't doing his job correctly as was the case with Mourinho.
Our “stars” are cnuts, rotting the rest of the team. There’s a couple of players that still care and try every game. But what you can do when the supposed best players down tools, don’t care, don’t want to try? Playing for united isn’t enough motivation? Hundreds of thousands a week isn’t enough motivation? Tens of thousands of fans screaming your name isn’t enough motivation?

Loublaze

ATLien
Reality is sinking in and im starting to think maybe his appointment was a mistake. I hope he proves me wrong but success won't come quickly no matter what IMO

Reddy Rederson

True but this is a thread on Solskjaer and its possible that they don't give a feck he scored a goal 20 years ago and are not motivated playing under him.
Yeah, I just don’t think that should matter. Whether they like him or not shouldn’t come in to it. And if it does, I think that says more about them, than him.

Loublaze

ATLien
On question we have to begin to ask ourselves now we've lost so many games is, do our players respect him? They're certainly not playing like they do.
He could be out of his depth and they can see through it. He had a good start at Cardiff, the owner loved him and so did the fans, and he tried to play attacking football and managed to sign United prodigy Mats Daehli but he only managed 7 wins all season. Something was really amiss. The players liked him but he just couldn't get results.

Frank Grimes

He could be out of his depth and they can see through it. He had a good start at Cardiff, the owner loved him and so did the fans, and he tried to play attacking football and managed to sign United prodigy Mats Daehli but he only managed 7 wins all season. Something was really amiss. The players liked him but he just couldn't get results.
Indeed, this Rashy and Youngy talk does not inspire confidence in me. I was personally always against his appointment and stated as much many times, he hasn't the pedigree required.

If someone told you after Moyes disaster season that Liverpool would have Klopp(available at the time) and we would be managed by Solskjaer (relegated with Cardiff) 5 years from now, you would have cried. Sad times.

Loon

:lol:
I really hope he talks to Fergie THIS time. Ferguson will have some good ideas about what to do with this squad.

The Kloppster

Supports
Liverpool
Our “stars” are cnuts, rotting the rest of the team. There’s a couple of players that still care and try every game. But what you can do when the supposed best players down tools, don’t care, don’t want to try? Playing for united isn’t enough motivation? Hundreds of thousands a week isn’t enough motivation? Tens of thousands of fans screaming your name isn’t enough motivation?
I agree 100% with this. The rot currently at your club has to start with Woodward obviously (get him out ASAP), but then you look at what I imagine is becoming a very toxic dressing room. Pogba is no doubt a great player, but I don't think he is right for Man Utd at present. When things aren't going well for a club, he is definitely the guy to down tools and start turning players against the club or manager. He is a toxic element to what is going on behind the scenes, I'm sure.

You need a Roy Keane or Bryan Robson character back in there. True leaders, warriors. Players who would tear Pogba a new one with his behaviour. This is what successful Man Utd sides were built on in their heyday, yet I don't see that anymore with the prima-donna social media videos posted by these players, and the fact that their heads drop game after game if things aren't going their way. They are behaving like a team of snow flake Millennials.

Ole needs to be given a chance. He gets what the Man Utd DNA is, what your team is about, and the fans love him too. Sacking him after such a short spell will just add further turmoil for your club now. Any manager would have problems with that dressing room at present. The past 3 managers have struggled with this lot, which tells you something. There needs to be a clear out of the toxic players (but not all are bad), and start rebuilding with new ones, to create a new team spirit. It's the one thing that has made Liverpool and City so strong this season - team spirit.

I think Ole could be that man, given the chance, but I'm not sure how long he has if bad results continue. I actually feel sorry for him at the moment.

Roy Keane's rant on TV the other night was spot on after the derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.