Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Klopp and Pep were both established as world class managers before taking up the reigns at their respective clubs, and even then, their impact regarding play style was palpable from the start.

Ole relegated Cardiff and won some pokemon league in norway, and all he has going for him is "knows all about United/The United way", making the canteen staff smile and refusing to park in Sir Alex' spot.
Its utterly bemusing to compare Ole to the likes of Pep, Klopp and Jose.

RedNed77

How fast people turn there back...

Still 100% behind Ole, the club has an infestation of bad attitude players and then others with limited ability. He can't fix that overnight, time will tell if he can in time.

Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, Sanchez & Matic can all go and we should cash in. We'll be left depleted but we can start again and build without negativity around the place.
This pretty much. For me it is the wrong attitudes rather than poor players and there is an atmosphere around the squad that I dont recognise as Manchester United. Everything is jokey and dab-tastic when the players should just be appalled at how much they are underacheiving, keeping a lower profile and focusing on "gittin gud".

Smores

For me Ole has lost the reputational gain he got with his honeymoon period. He's back to being a random punt appointment.

People can act superior to those saying it was a mistake but it's foolish to deny his appointment is anything but hopeful.

I certainly don't think we should get rid, we made our decision and it's worth seeing what he does. We'll know early on next season and he'll be gone if we're struggling by Christmas. Just hire a DOF to make sure any signings are still valid for our next manager if Ole does fail.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
There’s a few reasons that make me think it was a mistake to make Ole permanent manager when we did. And just so we clear, I held this belief too when we made the announcement. We had a great run where we were running of a post Jose high. That was the easy part. The tough part was always going to be once we are down from the high. Our last twelve games or so we’ve been poor. We got lucky in some of them and gave the performance of our lives vs PSG away. But we’ve lacked a clear identity. We’ve looked devoid of ideas. Uninspired.

Yes that’s player related as well. Very much so. But what makes us think Ole will be able to convince these players to pull finger or that he will know who to ship out? See his Young love in and extending contracts for Jones and Smalling. Even during our great run we knew we needed players. We knew this, this is not news. But is Ole the right guy for that overhaul??? I doubt he is to be honest. If we don’t make UCL then I am afraid we won’t be able to attract the level of player needed and we will just sign new dross all over again.

Ole is not a big name manager. Has no experience in dealings at this level. See his comments when he was on a high. He was just happy to work with players of this calibre and he kept on saying how easy they make it. That’s worrisome for me. Ole’s name alone won’t attract players and the way we’re currently playing won’t help either. Add that to no DoF and still the same execs dealing in transfers at Utd and we could very well be sitting in a worse position a year from now.

We all realised Moyes was out of his depth quickly, yet we somehow believe Ole is not? Does that little run we had really constitute a strong enough body of evidence for us to have such belief that Ole is the man to take us forward?
Also, if that good run was enough to show that hes made for the job, then surely an incredibly bad run would illustrate the exact opposite?

Mickson

Disgraceful thread and some disgraceful “fans“ on here as well. Tactics cant help this group of players. Do you guys think LvG and Mourinho were clueless?

Ole and the club has a hell of a job to do before next season.
"Location: Norway" Says it all. I love Ole, but the (harsh) truth is that he's not good enough, his merits aren't good enough and not much is leaning towards success under him. We can switch it the other way around, why is he good enough? What has he ever done? And I love Ole, I really do.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Oh I don’t know. Maybe because he was only made permanent manager a few weeks ago ?
and that means it can't be a mistake?

We appoint a manager on a small sample size, why then is then daft to say it was a stupid appointment after a small sample size.

Look at it this way if Ole hadn't been appointed when he was appointed would he still be appointed now? probably not. So the over reaction isn't firing him, it was giving him the job permanently.

The Nani

and that means it can't be a mistake?

We appoint a manager on a small sample size, why then is then daft to say it was a stupid appointment after a small sample size.

Look at it this way if Ole hadn't been appointed when he was appointed would he still be appointed now? probably not. So the over reaction isn't firing him, it was giving him the job permanently.
You have to try to justify it some way I guess.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You keep saying should but you've got nothing to back it up. Facts show that Martial's best games came under LVG and Pogba's best games came at Juventus both playing a low tempo football. Don't take me wrong I am a big Pogba fan. However we can't deny reality.
Martial's best games under LVG were when he was running at defenders. Put him 1v1 vs a defender and he has proven to be lethal. Pogba's best games here were when he was pinging in balls from deep to one of our players who was making a run, effectively switching tempo of the game.
Now, I agree that I'm not sure whether we'll see these 2 players at their best here, but we need to atleast be patient with OGS to provide the base for these players to reach their potential.

RedIan

Sacking Ole isnt the answer, some of the players are the problem. We cant keep changing the manager...

I Remember very clearly, fans were chanting Fergie out at Old Trafford and waving fergie out banners, it was booming form the stretford end and United road ... we were doing crap In his early year or two... the rest is history. Was it a Mark Robins goal away in the FA cup at Forest that saved his job/
Give OLe a chance to change it. Knee jerk looses every time.
There is a deep problem here and it isnt the manager.

Acquire Me

"Location: Norway" Says it all. I love Ole, but the (harsh) truth is that he's not good enough, his merits aren't good enough and not much is leaning towards success under him. We can switch it the other way around, why is he good enough? What has he ever done? And I love Ole, I really do.
Its not about Norway this. The fact is we have a real problem with our player and culture in our club. The problem has been around since SAF retired. The rebuild has to be done regardless of the manager.

Mickson

Its not about Norway this. The fact is we have a real problem with our player and culture in our club. The problem has been around since SAF retired. The rebuild has to be done regardless of the manager.
I agree we have bigger problems than Ole. With that said, I don't think that Ole is a very good manager.

Someone

Something
I think it's clear at this point that it's more about the players than the manager. We do have good enough players to do well at the club, but they were only arsed when they were trying to prove a point after mourinho got sacked, not they're back to their old ways.

Christie

Oh boy here we go blaming the managers again. There’s only 1 common factor among the last few managers we had and it’s the players.
The board is basically unchanged since the beginning of our downfall. At least we changed some of our players. So the board is a far bigger bigger common factor.

Anyway, Ole isn't the only problem we have, but he is still one of our problems so he has got to go.

That applied for Mourinho too, so we need to keep the same standards.

Stretch

Question, do you think Ole is the man to get the right players for that rebuild? In particular if we don’t have UCL football next season and if our current form continues. Will he be able to attract the right level of player? Seriously would love to know

Paul_Scholes18

The board is basically unchanged since the beginning of our downfall. At least we changed some of our players. So the board is a far bigger bigger common factor.

Anyway, Ole isn't the only problem we have, but he is still one of our problems so he has got to go.

Our transfers have been really poor overall. I blame Woodward for being very poor at negociating so that we pay too much for players. Although the managers deserve blame for not buying better players.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Talking about the football they played, not necessarily the results. Don't recall right now, but I think Klopp led them to 2 cup finals or something (losing both)
Klopps team arguably doesn't even play the same football now as it did last season. Both Pep and Klopp have adapted their style in the premier league.
Solskjaer clearly had us playing good football very quickly, to suggest otherwise would be ridiculous.
The football Solsjkaer wants to play requires players with good fitness, we simply don't have that at the moment.

Sauldogba

Oh boy here we go blaming the managers again. There’s only 1 common factor among the last few managers we had and it’s the players.
Theres two and its an even bigger factor than the players.
Its the board.
When i another like and am allowed to start threads i will make one about this very issue because if this ole appointment dont work the board including woodward need to go.

crossy1686

career ending
People genuinely replying to this thread are just giving it legs. Let the knee-jerk reactionary lot have their fill. They'll be building a statue of Solskjær if he wins anything.

Jacob

Romantic choices rarely works out. Won't judge him until he's had a chance sign players with a full preseason under his belt.

Acquire Me

Who runs hell when you are at the Caf mate?

You dont think Ole deserve a couple of weeks more before we go all crazy in here?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ole was put in by the players. Now they're screwing him over.
The problem is the players.

RedMilo

Some fans are a fecking embarrassment to our club - this is fecking joke of a thread - shut it down. It been a lack of strategic planning since SAF left, from the board downwards. Before Ole's appointment we didn't have a sniff of top 4, now we are in contention. Todays game made me angry. Our players have proven they can compete if the attitude and the desire are there and they play as a team. Since the PSG game, all we have heard in the press is this players leaving, that players leaving, the next wont sign a contract until they earn £x000k a week. They have took their eye of the ball and a lot play for themselves and not the team - they haven't got a winners mentality otherwise they would be focused on finishing the job in hand, this isn't Ole's fault. There is also a quality issue there as well, the likes of Young/Smalling/Fred shouldn't be starters but you cant knock their attitudes. Ole has identified the issue and said only this week, it was about creating a first class environment where players can be the best they can be, he is on the right path, now the club and fans need to back him through thick and thin because its a going to take a few years to see a consistent improvement but Ole will get us there.

Acquire Me

Question, do you think Ole is the man to get the right players for that rebuild? In particular if we don’t have UCL football next season and if our current form continues. Will he be able to attract the right level of player? Seriously would love to know
I dont know. I hope he and the club will make the right moves this summer. We need to end the bad culture, move on some players and acquire the right type of players. We dont need superstars like Pogba imo.

GM K

Now I get what Jose meant when he said coming second last season was the best achievement of his career or something like that.

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
I think you needed a world class manager with Ole as assistant manager.

Acquire Me

Some fans are a fecking embarrassment to our club - this is fecking joke of a thread - shut it down. It been a lack of strategic planning since SAF left, from the board downwards. Before Ole's appointment we didn't have a sniff of top 4, now we are in contention. Todays game made me angry. Our players have proven they can compete if the attitude and the desire are there and they play as a team. Since the PSG game, all we have heard in the press is this players leaving, that players leaving, the next wont sign a contract until they earn £x000k a week. They have took their eye of the ball and a lot play for themselves and not the team - they haven't got a winners mentality otherwise they would be focused on finishing the job in hand, this isn't Ole's fault. There is also a quality issue there as well, the likes of Young/Smalling/Fred shouldn't be starters but you cant knock their attitudes. Ole has identified the issue and said only this week, it was about creating a first class environment where players can be the best they can be, he is on the right path, now the club and fans need to back him through thick and thin because its a going to take a few years to see a consistent improvement but Ole will get us there.
Good post mate.

Luke1995

By 2021 Ed will probably appoint Carrick or Mckenna anyway. It will be a long time before someone is allowed to stay here more than three years, sadly.

Stretch

I dont know. I hope he and the club will make the right moves this summer. We need to end the bad culture, move on some players and acquire the right type of players. We dont need superstars like Pogba imo.
Agree we don’t necessarily need superstars but we do need talented and effective players with the right attitude. Question is, would these players choose to come to Utd now? Ole doesn’t have manager appeal and we might not have UCL either. I’m very concerned about this. What worries me more is Ole giving players like Young and Jones new deals.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
We do, we have a problem with culture in the dressing room, we have a problem at board room level, a problem with lack of football knowledge at the top levels of the club, a problem with that Old trafford itself needs some money and investment. We have problems coming out of our ears.

But equally saying we have other problems at the club, doesn't mean we can just ignore who the manager is and say it isnt a problem, it is! If we want to go forward we need to get that part of the club right just like we need to get the rest of issues right and right now and their is more evidence Ole is the wrong man for the job rather then right man.

Ole was brought in as a temporary manager to give the club time to get its ducks in a row properly, he was dramatically under qualified for the job but was brought in to give everyone a lift at the club, and it worked incredibly for a few months, but then it began to wear off, we didn't the wait to see if he could rebound from that, we made a rash decision and gave him the job permanently, something that would likely never have happened if we had waited another couple of weeks. We made a rash decision, admitting when you've made a mistake is part of been a good businessman not mention been an adult, and if we want to get this club back on track we need to start by addressing the clubs past and recent mistakes.

Cantonaaa!

I think Ole will step down at the end of the season if results don’t improve and a decent replacement can be found. Seems to me like someone who would have the clubs best interests at heart.
He would never do that so soon. It's not in his character to give up that easily. I know it, you know it, and he know's, that he deserves at least a full pre-season and transfer window, and time until christmas before he eventually get's the sack.

sparx99

yes but united still need to let a few players go and bring in new. it's a genuine shock when cty lose or even draw... nevermind losing 4:0

spurs knock them out of the cl... look a how everbody views it as some shock.. an amazing feet by spurs

remember you're trying to keep up with pep arguably the best manager in the world in terms of squad biulding.
Yes. My point was that Guardiola lost 4-0 to lesser Everton side in his first season at City. The following summer he made a number of high profile changes to shape the squad to play his style.

In my view what you can see has happened is this:

1. Ole tried to change to a high press attacking style and had initial success. This included a commitment to a Matic, Herrera, Pogba midfield and a Lingard, Rashford, Martial front three.

2. Injuries, Fatigue and Suspensions have both stretched the squad during the busiest time of the season and ruined the form of some of those who have missed games. Disjointed performances during this time is understandable.

3. A slight fear of casting aside veteran players has meant we haven’t stuck with those few things that have been working in recent weeks. Examples include not dropping Matic for McTominay, not dropping Young for Dalot (though Shaw’s suspension made that harder).

The truth is we don’t know how good/bad Ole is until he has time to change some personnel and drill the team in his style of play. This past 2-3 months has just been bouncing game to game trying to get results. The process has necessarily been put aside until the summer.

spiriticon

I don't know if Solskjaer was a mistake, because even if we did pry Pochettino out of Levy's cold dead hands I don't know if he would do any better.

At the moment I don't see anybody being successful in the United job, harsh as it may sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.