Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
The board, and therefore the club, would look ridiculous if they sack someone who was appointed a few weeks ago and who hasn’t been able to buy one player yet.

Acquire Me

Disgraceful thread and some disgraceful “fans“ on here as well. Tactics cant help this group of players. Do you guys think LvG and Mourinho were clueless?

Ole and the club has a hell of a job to do before next season.

Canuckred64

To early to say it is a mistake, Ole does deserve a chance have a transfer window or two. However, I feel it was premature to make the job permanent. I wanted to see how Ole would react if things went tits up. Now that things have gone tits up, let's see how we play in the last 4 games of the season

ghagua

Way too early to think about sacking Ole. I wanted Moyes and LvG gone after pre-season, and Maureen not too soon after, but we need to wait and see with Ole. Klopp and Pep changed the way their teams played within weeks after they joined and you could see the difference with the way they approached the game. It's been 4 months since Ole took over and the football is the still the same.

Code-CX

While I’m still on the fence about Ole’s appointment, we have much bigger problems than him. Woodward has no business making the decisions he makes, our board don’t give a crap about our club apart from milking us dry, and we have a combination of one of the most spoilt, overpaid, and overrated squads in football. I genuinely wouldn’t feel anything if the whole team was sold tomorrow and replaced with players who at least give an effort.

Walters_19_MuFc

Way too early to think about sacking Ole. I wanted Moyes and LvG gone after pre-season, and Maureen not too soon after, but we need to wait and see with Ole. Klopp and Pep changed the way their teams played within weeks after they joined and you could see the difference with the way they approached the game. It's been 4 months since Ole took over and the football is the still the same.
They had a transfer window, though. Ole hasn't.

TsuWave

So its not the manager's fault now, its the players, but during the winning run it wasn't the players it was Ole?

Ole needs to be Solari'd but United tends to dither.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Klopp finished 8th? after taking over from Rodgers.
At Christmas in Peps first season there was talks of him leaving City and even retiring. It takes time for any manager taking over a club, especially one with a squad as disjointed as ours.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was once 100+ points in a 38 game season. We've lost 3 of the last five games though, and it is dropping drastically. We could be losing our whole remaining games the way we've been playing in weeks. Exactly the reason why you shouldn't give someone such a top job based on few 10s of good results especially with plently of underwhelming performances.
Sure, but if you're looking at the results from Ol'es full season,it will read something like P21, 44+ points (I am assuming we'll get atleast 6 points from these 4 games at the very least), that translates to more than 2 ppg and that translates to 80 points and this is without him having a pre-season, a transfer window and Dave in Godly form

Kaglish10

Ole haven't signed his own player yet. I will wait till then. The whole team lack the intensity and hunger on the pitch. Who can blame them when they are on heavy wages and take home their pay regardless of how they play in a match. That said, I think Ole shouldn't have played Matic today. His legs are gone already. We were playing with 10 men throughout the whole match.

Apart from this, our attackers lack the technical skills on the ball. Only Martial is capable of holding up the play upfront to bring others into play however he mostly ran to dead alley today thereby losing the ball several times. His passes were also shite, not to mention his failure to track back most of the time. Despite his poor performance, I thought he was our only attacker who looked threatening and it would have been better if the other wing had given Everton something to worry about and relieve Martial of so much burden. However I would fault him for his laziness. He's probably suited to a possession based style but that shouldn't excuse his constant laziness and laid back attitude. Likewise Paul Pogba who actually offered some creativity in the midfield today however he offered no intensity in the midfield.

I think our main problem, apart from the lack of quality in the attack, midfield and defence is the lack of intensity and mobility in the team. The likes of Pogba, Martial, Matic offer little intensity and mobility hence it's a problem having all of them in the team. And then, we have the likes of Rashford, Lingard, Fred, (Lukaku) etc who sometimes provide us with mobility but lack the quality hence, should be mostly kept as squad players because they are mostly average/decent players.

As for our defence, that's another story entirely. Apart from the fact that we mostly have clowns in defence, we have no ball playing defender to build up the play and help in our transition to attack. At this stage, Stones would look better than all of our defenders. Ole should have retained Lindelof who's the only semblace to a ball playing defender to the central defence role and should not have shifted him to a full back role. I think Jones should have played as the fullback. Heck! There was no reason why O'Connor wasn't given a trial in the role. At least, this would have given us something to look forward to, than the shite offered to us today. I think Ole lacks the ruthless to call off the bluff of these players.

Overall, I would give Ole a chance until he's brought in his own players in the summer.

liamp

They had a transfer window, though. Ole hasn't.
Over the past 5 summers, we've brought in ~25 first team players and transferred out ~25 first team players and we don't look much the wiser for it. We really have to stop believing in the restorative powers of a transfer window and realize that just churning our first team is not going to fix anything in isolation. Not saying you fall into this category, yours is just the latest post I've seen talking about this.

Rake

We don't know if it was a mistake, only time will tell. We should have waited until the end of the season though. Or maybe nobody we wanted was available?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That is no excuse for losing 6 in 8 and getting consistently outplayed by every other team.
It is when not only did the tram get weaker. There was no significant can't new investment. In a league in which EVERYONE bar Spurs significantly strengthened with investment in the summer. Even relegated teams.....

Obviously last season's team was not the best ever runners-up, but the players showed what they can do as they did in our winning run not so long ago.
It was just a purple patch. They have returned to their true mean as a squad. The squad JM begged to upgrade via investment and was abused thoroughly for.

Our season died in the summer. Not today

TsuWave

At Christmas in Peps first season there was talks of him leaving City and even retiring. It takes time for any manager taking over a club, especially one with a squad as disjointed as ours.
Klopp and Pep were both established as world class managers before taking up the reigns at their respective clubs, and even then, their impact regarding play style was palpable from the start.

Ole relegated Cardiff and won some pokemon league in norway, and all he has going for him is "knows all about United/The United way", making the canteen staff smile and refusing to park in Sir Alex' spot.

ghagua

Talking about the football they played, not necessarily the results. Don't recall right now, but I think Klopp led them to 2 cup finals or something (losing both)

Tyinde

And how do you know he was the only one? Did the board tell you this?
Stop being naive. If you are a manager, would you take over Utd after JM? Every professinal think their career professionaly. The manager we have interest on, dont have interest on us, this is the reality people need to live with.

ghagua

I disagree but where did they finish that season?
Klopp finished with 2 cup final appearances I think (not sure), but both managers had their teams playing good football within weeks. We are getting neither at this stage. No results or good football.

Bojan11

Stop being naive. If you are a manager, would you take over Utd after JM? Every professinal think their career professionaly. The manager we have interest on, dont have interest on us, this is the reality people need to live with.
So no professional manager in the world would come to us after JM? Are you feeling ok?

Velvet Revolver

Ed should bite the bullet and sack him now in order to save him the trouble of doing so in November. 6 defeats in 8 is unprecedented in it's awfulness. It's becoming increasingly clear that he hasn't got a clue how to turn the tide. United need a new manager and staff with a clear vision how to play progressive football.

A few months later and it's like Mourinho never left:
Knee jerk at its finest!

Still faffing about with the defense (is he really the man to shore up this defense?)
You cannot create a magical defender out of thin air can you? who do you think in this squad can be a decent defender? we need to bring in one and untill the transfer window is open Ole has to deal with this dross. You can clearly see no amount of coaching can make these players play any better!

Still playing the same formation
and what formation would you like us to play? We have an extremely unbalanced squad. No formation can solve that unless we have a major overhaul!

Still willing to give the deadwood more chances
The entire squad barring a few are deadwood so what players should play then? academy players? yeah right one bad game and thier entire history will be humiliated by fans like you!

Still shunting Rashford to the wing
Ole played him as a striker too but he is way to inconsistent to be our main striker at this point! and its not like he is playing as a out and out winger!

Still putting Matic straight back into the team
I agree with you on this one, this was misguided. However i believe ole wanted to rotate to keep the midfield fresh for the midweek game!

Still calling out the players in the press
I think he is just stating the obvious. We all see these players doing feck all in the games. What would you like ole to do? throw his arm around these spoilt brats and cajole them to play for him?

Still talking about the past
Dont we all do that? the whole 'united way' is a reference to our past isnt it? You could say its the past but its all about the history and heritage of the club. The fundamentals of the this great club - 'Do not ever give up'. But none of the players seem to grasp that so if ole needs to beat that into thier pea brains then yeah do that i guess!

Still negative
Clutching at straws! Ole has been the most positive amongst all the of managers since SAF! stating the obvious doesn't make him a negative person. He has been quite positive in the whole wake of disastrous results!

Rant over!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The board, and therefore the club, would look ridiculous if they sack someone who was appointed a few weeks ago and who hasn’t been able to buy one player yet.
I don't necessarily advocate getting rid of Ole, but I'd much rather the board stuck their neck out and looked ridiculous by sacking him and admitting they made a mistake (if they felt like that was the best course of action) instead of sticking with him out of some misguided sense of being principled. Real Madrid have looked ridiculous when sacking some previous managers but they ultimately tend to still win stuff.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Agreed, it was a mistake to appoint Ole. It would be a bold move of Ed to remove him now though, and I just can’t see it happening.

Will Ed really trust him with a £200m kitty? I wouldn’t.
Thats the issue now, if we don't remove Ole and bring in a Director of Football and a manager who know what they are doing, we are leaving it to the man who is the most responsible for current squad (Woodward) and Ole whose only real experience of top level transfers was at Cardiff which was a disaster!

I would have a lot more respect for Woodward if he went to Ole and the Media look we made a rash decision we need to spend a bit more time thinking this through and planning our our next move, so we get our future right.

RevGary

Supports
Seattle Sounders (MLS)
As some people have already said, it’s not Ole. It’s the lousy players we have. They get paid to score goals and keep the other team from scoring. Bottom line. Part of the solution is simple. You lose, you don’t get paid. Every time Man United lose, the players and staff go without a paycheck. Plus start with a significantly lower salary for all and pay per goal, per save, per tackle, etc. Get a yellow card and lose some pay even with a win. Why would well-paid players with absolutely no reason to excel do so when their pay is guaranteed either way? They clearly have no interest in excelling. It’s a huge problem in all sports.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Considering the lack of tempo in our game under LVG and that we hardly ever outran the opposition during Jose's time, I'd say OGS has a point here
I was referring to fitness not tempo, which is different.

However lets indulge ourselves in terms of tempo. Most of our players have been brought by managers who believed in a lower tempo. Pogba, Matic, Sanchez, Martial, Lindelof and co feel comfortable in such style of football. The rest can't be expected to play SAF's tempo anymore. Smalling's and DDG's distribution of the ball is already horrible as it is. Imagine if you pressure them to be quicker, Jones will break, Young is too old to run for 90 minutes and Lingard, well, he's shite.

Which leads us back to square 1 ie we need a total clear out.

desertred87

I guess people are now understanding the Amadaeus assessment that I was ridiculed for in the Ole thread :lol:.

It is not too late to sack him now, it will show conviction from our board for success. However, if his replacement is not Pochettino or maybe someone like Erik ten Hag, he deserve at least one season to buy his own players and implement his philosophy. Maybe get us back to how we were during honeymoon period.
And Ole doesn’t?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
It’s not a good article imo, and while Edwin being the mastermind behind Ajax makes for a good image, the reality is that he’s merely one of the many factors responsible for the current succes of Ajax. Rather have him than Woodward though, but that’s another discussion.

Talking about tactical mistakes... You know Ten Hag got trashed 6-2 at Feyenoord a couple of months ago right? Lost 0-3 away at PSV twice, last year and then again this season... Lost to AZ Alkmaar just a month ago, and while being the favourites Ajax might not even actually win the league this year. I’m not exaggerating when I say that someone like Schteve McClaren would probably be more likely to succeed at United than Erik ten Hag :lol:
I m sure those managers would have gotten this Ajax side to the semi finals of the champions league and playing such good football too. Some people may want to underrated what Erik ten Hag has done at Ajax, but I m sure their fans are enjoying the football they are playing and the directions the club is heading. With regards to his tactical mistakes, I don’t follow the Netherlands league to know enough about what went wrong in those games, but in the champions league, he has done great tactical.

I thought it was a great article, but to each their own.

And Ole doesn’t?
What signs are there that Ole deserves to? New manager bounce is not a sign by the way. Do we want players that knows how to run, but not know how to put passes together or dictate the play? Or players that fit the United way that Ole hasn’t even produce since the honeymoon period, which was mostly down to the productivity of the players willingness to make Mourinho look bad.

Last edited:

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Yeah keep blaming Ole when you have this fantastic squad thas has no balls, no moral and no backbone whateverthefeck. Do NOT give Ole a chance at doing as he has planned, to overhaul and change the team and performance over time. Just blame the subtstituting and formations - ask yourself how these fecking players can perform like this when they obviously CAN do better when they bother. Their motivation is to get new contracts and better wages then they start underperfoming again. Get Morninho or some other GREAT manager, buy some crap ex-elite players and continue disregarding whether they fit in and will bleed for the club. Kick out the only soul left of the club and see how great everything becomes. Blame the manager again and again. I tell you, Poch would not have been able to do better, Neither any other manager. That.is.not.the.problem.here! Nah I wont write more here, this place is getting to me haha. I do hope there is more intelligence amongst the supporters than shows in here sometimes. open your eyes if you think getting rid of Ole will fix anything. Soon no manager will bother risking taking this job. It will be a carrier-ending choice if the squad is not overhauled and I am not only talking about skills and talent. Everyone should be able to see this.

Ekeke

It does seem like it was. However, I think almost everyone made the mistake.

I was one of the last on here to say that okay, what Ole is doing is enough. Give him the summer and see what he can do with some new players.

It was just a few days before we officially gave him the contract I believe.

I still feel that way but yeah, we're playing really poorly and its not a very good sign

Stretch

There’s a few reasons that make me think it was a mistake to make Ole permanent manager when we did. And just so we clear, I held this belief too when we made the announcement. We had a great run where we were running of a post Jose high. That was the easy part. The tough part was always going to be once we are down from the high. Our last twelve games or so we’ve been poor. We got lucky in some of them and gave the performance of our lives vs PSG away. But we’ve lacked a clear identity. We’ve looked devoid of ideas. Uninspired.

Yes that’s player related as well. Very much so. But what makes us think Ole will be able to convince these players to pull finger or that he will know who to ship out? See his Young love in and extending contracts for Jones and Smalling. Even during our great run we knew we needed players. We knew this, this is not news. But is Ole the right guy for that overhaul??? I doubt he is to be honest. If we don’t make UCL then I am afraid we won’t be able to attract the level of player needed and we will just sign new dross all over again.

Ole is not a big name manager. Has no experience in dealings at this level. See his comments when he was on a high. He was just happy to work with players of this calibre and he kept on saying how easy they make it. That’s worrisome for me. Ole’s name alone won’t attract players and the way we’re currently playing won’t help either. Add that to no DoF and still the same execs dealing in transfers at Utd and we could very well be sitting in a worse position a year from now.

We all realised Moyes was out of his depth quickly, yet we somehow believe Ole is not? Does that little run we had really constitute a strong enough body of evidence for us to have such belief that Ole is the man to take us forward?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was referring to fitness not tempo, which is different.

However lets indulge ourselves in terms of tempo. Most of our players have been brought by managers who believed in a lower tempo. Pogba, Matic, Sanchez, Martial, Lindelof and co feel comfortable in such style of football. The rest can't be expected to play SAF's tempo anymore. Smalling's and DDG's distribution of the ball is already horrible as it is. Imagine if you pressure them to be quicker, Jones will break, Young is too old to run for 90 minutes and Lingard, well, he's shite.

Which leads us back to square 1 ie we need a total clear out.
Martial is fine in a higher tempo, his technique is good- his work ethic needs to be worked upon.
Pogba is fine as well- he should be more involved in chance creation than being the receiver of the final pass, as in his pass should be the one that switches the tempo to a higher gear
Matic and Sanchesz- shouldn't be in the side- Sanchez is finished and Matic lacks agility to play at higher tempo
Lindelof is fine as well- Considering we increase our tempo in the final third only
Smalling shouldnt be the starting CB and Dave's distribution can definitely be worked upon. It was pretty decent in LVGs second season

gulli_G

Knee Jerk reactions. Calm down, he was visibly fuming in his interviews and post match conference. Stopped short of saying players didn't care after the match. Rest-assured some surprising names will be gone this summer or by January.

mu4c_20le

I don't necessarily advocate getting rid of Ole, but I'd much rather the board stuck their neck out and looked ridiculous by sacking him and admitting they made a mistake (if they felt like that was the best course of action) instead of sticking with him out of some misguided sense of being principled. Real Madrid have looked ridiculous when sacking some previous managers but they ultimately tend to still win stuff.
Sacking a manager less than a month after giving him a contract has to be one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. Not even Jose levels of toxicity would warrant that type of knee jerk decision.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Martial is fine in a higher tempo, his technique is good- his work ethic needs to be worked upon.
Pogba is fine as well- he should be more involved in chance creation than being the receiver of the final pass, as in his pass should be the one that switches the tempo to a higher gear
Matic and Sanchesz- shouldn't be in the side- Sanchez is finished and Matic lacks agility to play at higher tempo
Lindelof is fine as well- Considering we increase our tempo in the final third only
Smalling shouldnt be the starting CB and Dave's distribution can definitely be worked upon. It was pretty decent in LVGs second season
You keep saying should but you've got nothing to back it up. Facts show that Martial's best games came under LVG and Pogba's best games came at Juventus both playing a low tempo football. Don't take me wrong I am a big Pogba fan. However we can't deny reality.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
yes but united still need to let a few players go and bring in new. it's a genuine shock when cty lose or even draw... nevermind losing 4:0

spurs knock them out of the cl... look a how everbody views it as some shock.. an amazing feet by spurs

remember you're trying to keep up with pep arguably the best manager in the world in terms of squad biulding.

Last edited:

MrBest

Im no Ole lover and although i have shown some excitement, i always maintained we should have decided the manager at the end of the year. Saying this, it is not ole fault. This team is a bunch of pathetic overpaid money sucking b words. The players are pure toxic and i could easily bane 11 to 15 players to ship out. I honestly think, sign 5 players in the summer, sell 10 and draft in 5 youngsters. Klopp had the same formula over a number of years. The players have no work ethic at all, are amongst the worst in the league yet the highest paid. Pogba is the biggest joke i have ever seen. We should play him up, cash in on 150m. Ive said for years, the guy is lazy, careless and not world class. I would not be against selling de gea for 40m plus courtois. That is already 190m plus 150m available. Sell some other dross for another 50m and we can reshape the squad. They say you cannot have loads of changes at once, truth is we need 11 changes because the men (or children) we have playing for our badge are pathetic. I mean this from pogba, martial rashford etc. They have nowhere to run to now, the pressure is on them not Ole. Ole saved them 4 months ago and this is how they have repaid him. Literally, we lost 4 0 away to everton, i am embarrassed to think what City will do to us on Weds. 7 0 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.