Archie Battersbee: RIP

hobbers

I really don't think this is the correct thread for this. You're trying to make a connection where there's no evidence that Archie died attempting a Tiktok trend. His mum saying that it was because of that was something she quickly stopped saying yet it keeps being brought up by other people.
The likelihood that Archie wanted to take his own life means the two cases are almost identical.

Two kids who were hooked on tiktok/instagram. Both became depressed, probably caused by the interactions they were having online. Tiktok and Instagram algorithms fed them more and more content featuring depression and self-harm, and this had an amplifying affect on their mental health, eventually leading to their suicides.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The likelihood that Archie wanted to take his own life means the two cases are almost identical.

Two kids who were hooked on tiktok/instagram. Both became depressed, probably caused by the interactions they were having online. Tiktok and Instagram algorithms fed them more and more content featuring depression and self-harm, and this had an amplifying affect on their mental health, eventually leading to their suicides.
You're completely right but if you look at the Corinthian's previous comments today you'd see that they won't be posting it because of what you've pointed out.

Yea, one of the reasons I posted it was to dispel the myth (if there was one) that Archie tried killing himself. I think the reality is they had unfettered use of social media at too young an age. The reality is that this 'challenge' has resulted in two needless deaths.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

There’s a lot of speculation here

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Which mom wants to believe that their kid wanted to die? Whether or not he did commit suicide or try to commit suicide, his mother isn't a reliable source for his intentions.
I’d say it’s more reliable evidence than @ThierryFabregas saying he read such and such on online forums.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So sad, R.I.P to them both.

I think social media as it is now should be banned. It’s toxic garbage and if it hurt the ruling class as much as it hurts ‘normal’ people it’d be considered a threat to society and outlawed.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I really don't think this is the correct thread for this. You're trying to make a connection where there's no evidence that Archie died attempting a Tiktok trend. His mum saying that it was because of that was something she quickly stopped saying yet it keeps being brought up by other people.
I mean, my general pov on this case is the dangers of social media. The link I posted speaks to that albeit not a similar type of case.

Edit: and yes I do believe that Archie was influenced by what he saw online and didn’t commit suicide. But I understand others think it was suicide. Generally, male suicides tend to be at a higher age bracket.

hobbers

There’s a lot of speculation here
Not that much. The only speculative part I can see is what actually triggered their depression.

Archie's tiktok channel revolved around depression, so it's a safe bet his feed will have been pumping that sort of content to him.

With Molly's case the depression and self harm content that was being pumped into her instagram feed is so grim it seems Meta are trying every dodge to not have to show it in this hearing.

facund

I do believe that Archie was influenced by what he saw online and didn’t commit suicide
Is this a roundabout way of saying he was attempting a TikTok challenge?
If not, can you elaborate as it is unclear what you mean.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Is this a roundabout way of saying he was attempting a TikTok challenge?
If not, can you elaborate as it is unclear what you mean.
Yea I think he was attempting a TikTok challenge.

facund

Yea I think he was attempting a TikTok challenge.
Fair enough, I struggle reconciling that and thus tentatively lean toward suicide.
Your wider point on social media, the internet in general really, rings true. We've yet to see the true scale of it's insidious effects.

Carolina Red

Staff
I had a student a few years ago who “died from the Blackout Challenge”. It’s never really been established, as far as I can tell, if he really did or if he died of suicide and it was called that.

Regarding the Blackout Challenge’s legitimacy, the Rolling Stone actually made a mention of it in an article about TikTok…

“The Blackout Challenge, for instance, far predates TikTok; the numbers regarding how many kids have died from the challenge, as reported by Women’s Health and many other outlets, are actually sourced from a 2008 CDC press release, which started tracking reports of deaths resulting from the challenge (then called “the choking game”) as far back as 1995.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...-penny-challenge-momo-bogus-hoax-1277018/amp/

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I had a student a few years ago who “died from the Blackout Challenge”. It’s never really been established, as far as I can tell, if he really did or if he died of suicide and it was called that.

Regarding the Blackout Challenge’s legitimacy, the Rolling Stone actually made a mention of it in an article about TikTok…

“The Blackout Challenge, for instance, far predates TikTok; the numbers regarding how many kids have died from the challenge, as reported by Women’s Health and many other outlets, are actually sourced from a 2008 CDC press release, which started tracking reports of deaths resulting from the challenge (then called “the choking game”) as far back as 1995.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...-penny-challenge-momo-bogus-hoax-1277018/amp/
Yea it definitely predates TikTok (and social media generally), it's just the virality of content (due to social media) means that something that can lead to danger is so much more harder to contain nowadays.

When I was in school (~16 years ago), we had a variant of this challenge called 'American Dream', that also resulted in people losing consciousness. Although it found its way into our school, the only way it could move to another school is by word of mouth, or a phone call, or meeting up etc. Now this idea can jump from one area to another in a matter of seconds.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yea it definitely predates TikTok (and social media generally), it's just the virality of content (due to social media) means that something that can lead to danger is so much more harder to contain nowadays.

When I was in school (~16 years ago), we had a variant of this challenge called 'American Dream', that also resulted in people losing consciousness. Although it found its way into our school, the only way it could move to another school is by word of mouth, or a phone call, or meeting up etc. Now this idea can jump from one area to another in a matter of seconds.
Yeah it’s wild how that stuff has gone from people whispering about it in their friend group to just broadcast across the internet. Worst part, besides the obvious, is it leaves so much uncertainty. I changed schools a year later, so I don’t know if that kid’s family and friends have ever found out definitively why he died. It’s sad.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Was unlikely to be ruled a suicide due to his age but the contents of his TikTok, the texts with his mother and the voice messages paint the picture.

TikTok challenge has been ruled out:
But we can say for certainty that Archie never videoed or photographed himself to prove that he took part. He never searched the internet for any blackout or online challenges, and never accessed YouTube for challenges, and we can say with certainty that he never communicated with friends about an online blackout challenge
Shame his mother never apologised for what she said about his treatment by the hospital. They did everything they could which the inquest acknowledged.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Doesn't the coroner really only have the evidence provided by his family to go off anyway?