Music Arctic Monkeys

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm struggling with it. I think I liked it more the first time I heard it and am starting to like it less and less. Turner sounds like he should crooning in Brian Potter's club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm struggling with it. I think I liked it more the first time I heard it and am starting to like it less and less. Turner sounds like he should crooning in Brian Potter's club.
Everyone is struggling with it because it's absolute tripe. Some just can't bring themselves to say it. Hipsters basically.

Hipsters in typical fashion saying they like something that most don't. It's so transparent.

The album is like listening to a James Bond Theme song on repeat for 40 mins. It's okay for the first track and some of the second and then you just want to listen to something with a chorus.

I don't even think the lyrics are all that clever either. Some of it seems sloppy for such a talented Lyricist.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Everyone is struggling with it because it's absolute tripe. Some just can't bring themselves to say it. Hipsters basically.

Hipsters in typical fashion saying they like something that most don't. It's so transparent.

The album is like listening to a James Bond Theme song on repeat for 40 mins. It's okay for the first track and some of the second and then you just want to listen to something with a chorus.

I don't even think the lyrics are all that clever either. Some of it seems sloppy for such a talented Lyricist.
As a self confessed hipster I totally agree. Great album :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Lovely album.

I find it strange how some people who don't like it (which is fine) feel the need to attack the band (who aren't allowed to evolve, for the most part, apparently) or the people who do like it (you're a hipster if you do, it would seem).

Fight! Fight! Fight!

phelans shorts

Or some people genuinely like it and aren’t being a dick for no apparent reason.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
As a self confessed hipster I totally agree. Great album :)
Exactly my point.

If all these people calling it a masterpiece suddenly learned that their parents thought it was a brilliant album too....you watch how many people would make a U-turn. Hahahaha

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Or some people genuinely like it and aren’t being a dick for no apparent reason.
Some people do for sure. I have no doubt about that. However I'm willing to wager there's loads of blaggers out there who secretly know it's not a patch on their early albums but that's not cool to say so is it?

A lot of these people couldn't even name you a jazz musician if you gave them all week to think of one so how can they possibly know it's a 'masterpiece'. Makes me laugh.

It should have been a side project for Alex Turner. The rest of the band have been rendered useless until they reach for some of the older tracks when they tour and play live.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some people do for sure. I have no doubt about that. However I'm willing to wager there's loads of blaggers out there who secretly know it's not a patch on their early albums but that's not cool to say so is it?

A lot of these people couldn't even name you a jazz musician if you gave them all week to think of one so how can they possibly know it's a 'masterpiece'. Makes me laugh.

It should have been a side project for Alex Turner. The rest of the band have been rendered useless until they reach for some of the older tracks when they tour and play live.
That is one hell of an argument coming from someone criticising other people for being hipsters.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Who has said this?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Who has said this?
Their social media is full of people saying it is mainly I believe because a lot of others are attacking it for being dull.

I'm sure there's some people out there who genuinely love the album. I don't personally. I'm not afraid to be critical of a band I really admire. These last two albums just aren't for me and aren't what I'd describe as a masterpiece whatsoever. The 5 that came before these last two however haven't gone anywhere thankfully and I still listen to them all often.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Their social media is full of people saying it is mainly I believe because a lot of others are attacking it for being dull.

I'm sure there's some people out there who genuinely love the album. I don't personally. I'm not afraid to be critical of a band I really admire. These last two albums just aren't for me and aren't what I'd describe as a masterpiece whatsoever. The 5 that came before these last two however haven't gone anywhere thankfully and I still listen to them all often.
You’ll find anyone calling anything a masterpiece if you look hard enough. I think the response has been pretty measured on here as usual. I love Arctic Monkeys but even I’ve said I only like one or two songs off this.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You’ll find anyone calling anything a masterpiece if you look hard enough. I think the response has been pretty measured on here as usual. I love Arctic Monkeys but even I’ve said I only like one or two songs off this.
That's fair enough.

Please don't tell me 'Body Paint' is one of them though.....hahaha.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's fair enough.

It is actually :) I like Body Paint and Hello You but I’ve only listened a couple times so I may get sick of them/other songs grow on me.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That's fair enough.

After multiple listens, for me the best three tracks are:

Big Ideas
Hello You
I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am.

If those above 3 replaced She Looks Like Fun, Monster Truck and Ultra Cheese on the previous album... That would be an amazing album.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It is actually :) I like Body Paint and Hello You but I’ve only listened a couple times so I may get sick of them/other songs grow on me.
Really? I think it's a monstrosity. Hahaha.

There better be a Mirrorball is pretty good and I ain't quite where I think I Am is decent enough too. Nothing spectacular on the entire album though and certainly nothing that would make a greatest hits album that's for sure.

I think they have written better B sides in their early days than this stuff. But then I like my guitar music so I would say that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
After multiple listens, for me the best three tracks are:

Big Ideas
Hello You
I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am.

If those above 3 replaced She Looks Like Fun, Monster Truck and Ultra Cheese on the previous album... That would be an amazing album.
Do you think AM would be the band they are today if these last two albums were the first two they ever released? Be honest. I don't think they'd be playing to stadiums right now tbh.

This is the type of experimental music a band can only put out once they have a certain popularity and core fanbase. Similar to when the Beatles went all weird. They would have never been able to get away with some of that stuff without the early pop songs with catchy choruses.

I think AM is their best album to date. Ticks off the choruses and riffs that fans want but is also a bit more grown up that the debut album.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Do you think AM would be the band they are today if these last two albums were the first two they ever released? Be honest. I don't think they'd be playing to stadiums right now tbh.
What a weird little crusade you've decided to go on. Does it offend you that people enjoy things you don't?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

This is the type of experimental music a band can only put out once they have a certain popularity and core fanbase. Similar to when the Beatles went all weird. They would have never been able to get away with some of that stuff without the early pop songs with catchy choruses.

I think AM is their best album to date. Ticks off the choruses and riffs that fans want but is also a bit more grown up that the debut album.
I certainly agree that if these were their first two albums, they wouldn't be half as popular as they are. But what's that got to do with me liking these two albums?

AM is a great album (to me anyway), I adore that. But in my old age, I don't need stadium rock anthems, I prefer this new chill out vibe. If I'm in the mood for something bigger, I got their entire back catalogue.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What a weird little crusade you've decided to go on. Does it offend you that people enjoy things you don't?
It's not a crusade. For those that genuinely enjoy the jazz style I have no issue. It's all those that pretend they do I'm referring to. There's a lot of people out there who won't have a bad word said about the band at all. It's pretty silly really.

I'm a huge fan of theirs but at least I can be honest. These last two albums haven't been good at all. I don't even think the band look that happy performing them live either. Helders looks bored out of his brain. It justs really flat and comes across as the Alex Turner Project to me.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The “it’s like a Turner side project” would be more barbed if his actual side project hadn’t been the better band for the last 13 years

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's not a crusade. For those that genuinely enjoy the jazz style I have no issue. It's all those that pretend they do I'm referring to. There's a lot of people out there who won't have a bad word said about the band at all. It's pretty silly really.

I'm a huge fan of theirs but at least I can be honest. These last two albums haven't been good at all. I don't even think the band look that happy performing them live either. Helders looks bored out of his brain. It justs really flat and comes across as the Alex Turner Project to me.
Isn't that just your opinion? Like other people's opinion that these albums are enjoyable?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think if this album came out and it was by a brand new artist, people would be more receptive to it. It's a nice enough sounding piece of work without being spectacular.

phelans shorts

I think if this album came out and it was by a brand new artist, people would be more receptive to it. It's a nice enough sounding piece of work without being spectacular.
Yeah, it’s good but not great. Arctic Monkeys are expected to be great every time out at this stage though so we’re seeing this bizarre and undeserved level of backlash rather than treating everything on its own merits.

Kylar Stern

I've had it on heavy rotation the last couple of days and its definitely a grower. TBHC was the same, initially I was surprised by the new direction but it quickly became my favorite AM album by quite some distance and the Car feels like it might go the same way. I've seen a train of thought that newer fans like the newer albums, whereas people who have been fans for a while prefer the older ones; I saw them back to back at Leeds Festival in 05 and 06 and have liked them ever since, and my album ranking at the moment is:

TBHC
FWN
The Car
WPSIA
AM
Humbug
SIAC

I think its fair to say that across all the albums there are wildly different songs and pretty much something for everyone; even WPSIA has Riot Van or FWN as heavy as that is has 505; its all subjective and all down to personal taste.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
For me it's:

Whatever People Say I Am
AM
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Tranquility Base
Suck It And See
Humbug
The Car

Kylar Stern

For me it's:

Whatever People Say I Am
AM
Tranquility Base
Suck It And See
Humbug
The Car
Equally valid; the thing with AMs discography is that there really is something for everybody - and I suspect as more albums drop peoples personal rankings will change dramatically as their own tastes change. WPSIA was my favorite for a long time, and A Certain Romance remains my favorite track by them but more recently it has dropped down in my own personal opinion.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
my album ranking at the moment is:

TBHC
FWN
The Car
WPSIA
AM
Humbug
SIAC
For me it's:

Whatever People Say I Am
AM
Tranquility Base
Suck It And See
Humbug
The Car
AM
Tranquility Base
The Car
Suck It And See
Humbug
Whatever People Say I Am

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Whatever People Say I Am
AM
Humbug
Suck It And See

Tranquility Base

The Car

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
WPSIA has banger after banger. Some unreal tunes on it that have stood the test of time.
Yeah but I got into them a lot later and I'm at an age where none of that stuff is relateable to me. So then I'm looking for a vibe and I prefer chill vibe than dancefloor vibe of you get what I'm saying.

AM is the anomaly as it's just fecking excellent.

Gavinb33

When The Beatles went weird they released all timers in Sgt Peppers and Revolver, when AM went all weird they released well this which isn't an all timer.

No one is saying artists can't change their style far from it I welcome it, the only thing I'll say from a fans perspective if you do change all I care about is if it sounds good to me if it doesn't well I am going to say that too.

Nickosaur

New album is lovely. Think I preferred Tranquility Base but The Car is a grower for sure.

I've grown up with them. Debut album was one of my favourite albums now but tastes change. It's probably the last one I'd willingly listen to now.