Are Bruno and Rashford a problem?

marktan

Yeah because the likes of Antony, Holjund, Garnacho, Martial, Van De Beek and Sancho are so good and will make us into a good team again.

This place has a weird fixation with our better players needing to be dropped. Was the same with Pogba. Shaw and Martial for a while under Mourinho. Guess what? Them being dropped didn't make us better.

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yeah because the likes of Antony, Holjund, Garnacho, Martial, Van De Beek and Sancho are so good and will make us into a good team again.

This place has a weird fixation with our better players needing to be dropped. Was the same with Pogba. Shaw and Martial for a whole under Mourinho. Guess what? Them being dropped didn't make us better.
Actually, I think if they had played against Liverpool we would have lost. Bruno in particular. Rash might have scored on a counter at least.

cyberman

Actually, I think if they had played against Liverpool we would have lost. Bruno in particular. Rash might have scored on a counter at least.
Why?
Oh. Work rate. We love our work rate, not getting the best out of our attacking players.
Work rate

El Jefe

This has been obvious to anyone since the Ole years. They have dictated our style of play for over three years and they took us as far as they could in 20/21.

Coming into the season they were our ‘best players’ and now we have little to show for it. Ten Hag wanted us to be the best transition team in the world primarily because of these two and it’s been an awful decision.

There have been many of us here criticising both players in their threads even during the good times saying that their style wouldn’t amount to much and to no surprise of ours here we are three years later with nothing.

Rip the team up and get rid of both.

Jonty

One of ETH's biggest mistakes was making Bruno captain when Martinez is back he should take the armband.

Rashford should not even be making the bench at this stage, his apparent apathy towards towards the club and game that have made him a multi millionaire is baffling.

Pughnichi

This place has a weird fixation with our better players needing to be dropped. Was the same with Pogba. Shaw and Martial for a whole under Mourinho. Guess what? Them being dropped didn't make us better.
You’re both right. We’ll progress when the likes of Martial, Van De Beek and Sancho are moved on. But, these three are far from regulars and similarly when Rashford and Bruno aren’t so ever present, we have a chance to improve.

nobody will ever convince me that Rashford hasn’t been shambolic for 10 months now. And Bruno, whilst he does create at least some chances is also unbelievably wasteful in possession.

I say we have a chance, it depends on the calibre of player brought in as replacements

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Funny that we havent scored in the last 4 games and Rashford has not started any of them

Saddy

It's a disgrace our captain doesn't come out and talk after the match - probably still lying on the changing room floor crying !

ListerOfSmeg

Supports
The mighty Reds
Bruno is of shite character but he is at least capable of delivering fairly consistently when not surrounded by utter dross.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One of ETH's biggest mistakes was making Bruno captain when Martinez is back he should take the armband.

Rashford should not even be making the bench at this stage, his apparent apathy towards towards the club and game that have made him a multi millionaire is baffling.
Those are your takeaways from the last few weeks?

Jonty

Those are your takeaways from the last few weeks?
Wouldn't limit it to the last few weeks nor would they be my only takeaways but our two talismans of recent seasons should be offering more than a mix of histrionics and malaise.

Remember the geese

Shows Rashfords form was the saving grace last season and the attack is severely lacking in quality
It was. However, what is the point in building a player up into something he is not? Top players do it year in, year out. He simply isn't deserving of his status or the pedestal he is placed on.

Cassidy

It was. However, what is the point in building a player up into something he is not? Top players do it year in, year out. He simply isn't deserving of his status or the pedestal he is placed on.
Not sure what pedestal I put him on. He is the best attacking player in the team

Remember the geese

Not sure what pedestal I put him on. He is the best attacking player in the team
Not you specifically. However, he should be leading this team through his productivity. Similarly to Salah at Liverpool. His status and wages demand that. He just isn't up to it though.

Cassidy

Not you specifically. However, he should be leading this team through his productivity. Similarly to Salah at Liverpool. His status and wages demand that. He just isn't up to it though.
A side that creates very little. Yes he should be as productive as Salah…. He should not be on the wages he is on we agree there

Von Mistelroum

Rashford certainly is, but it's irrelevant as he'll never go anywhere. He knows he wouldn't get the same treatment elsewhere and would be expected to prove himself, and work hard for his money.

goalscholes

Yes for a controlling football team, they lack sufficient consistency and discipline.

Bruno is a physical machine, but in a way, he’d be much more effective coming on with dominant midfielders around him, to create a moment of magic.

flameinthesun

Yes for a controlling football team, they lack sufficient consistency and discipline.

Bruno is a physical machine, but in a way, he’d be much more effective coming on with dominant midfielders around him, to create a moment of magic.
Yeah I think he can only really be effective in the 10 role with 2 CMs behind him who can provide some defensive solidarity. Basically in a 4 2 3 1. The further back he goes the less he becomes.

Cassidy

Makes perfect sense. Top players do it every season. He is marketed and rewarded as if he is one. He isn't.
Salah would not be as productive as he is at Liverpool at United.

As I said already Rashford is paid too much

Remember the geese

Salah would not be as productive as he is at Liverpool at United.

As I said already Rashford is paid too much
If Salah was at United, he wouldn't be having seasons like this one (2 goals in 17 league games) or 21/22 (4 goals in 25 league games). It simply isn't good enough.

Cassidy

If Salah was at United, he wouldn't be having seasons like this one (2 goals in 17 league games) or 21/22 (4 goals in 25 league games). It simply isn't good enough.
Does not change the fact he would not be as productive as he is at Liverpool which was the point

Remember the geese

Does not change the fact he would not be as productive as he is at Liverpool which was the point
The bottom line is that I expect more from Rashford. You do not appear to. We need to cut our losses because we won't get anywhere with fair weather players. We either put our trust in Garnacho like Arsenal did with Martinelli and sign a Trossard type player to compete and rotate with him, or we sign a left sided forward who is more consistent than Rashford and use Garnacho as his deputy.

House Mkhitaryan

When literally every single player is performing well below their potential, it's gotta be the system and the coaching. Replacing these two (or anyone else) doesn't seem to change anything.

CasaStreets

When literally every single player is performing well below their potential, it's gotta be the system and the coaching. Replacing these two (or anyone else) doesn't seem to change anything.
That is one conclusion you could reach. The alternative diagnosis is that our backups to these two are not an improvement, so it doesn't matter who plays, who is coaching them, and what system they're playing. I think the fact we scored 57 & 58 goals during the last two seasons answers this question. These two may be our best but they aren't good enough and neither are our other players.