Are our fans quicker to complain than they used to be 10 years ago?

RedChisel

The lowest position United have finished in these 10 years is 7th. Some clubs have gone out of business in that time. I think a bit of perspective is needed sometimes when we start whinging.

Yes a club of our size should be doing alot better but in those 10 years we've still had a couple of 2nd place finishes and won 4 trophies.

We still have it better than 99 percent of fans in the country. Just comes off a little spoilt and entitled at times. United fans have no divine right to win everything.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
No. Fans complained from day one under Moyes :lol:
No they didn't. Most matchgoing fans backed Moyes until the January of that season. Many were of the opinion that he'd been let down by Woodward in the transfer window and didn't put all the blame on him for some of the poor performances.

It's a common misconception that the wider support was against his appointment. Some may have had reservations but the general consensus was that he'd be a solid choice.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No they didn't. Most matchgoing fans backed Moyes until the January of that season. Many were of the opinion that he'd been let down by Woodward in the transfer window and didn't put all the blame on him for some of the poor performances.

It's a common misconception that the wider support was against his appointment. Some may have had reservations but the general consensus was that he'd be a solid choice.
I didn't realise were only talking about match day supporters. I know on here at least there was a negativity over the appointment because I was constantly trying to defend the choice and give him a chance. I don't know if the thread is still around but it'd be interesting to go back and read.

Fellini was another one that people complained about straight away. That whole summer was negative with the 3 amigos/Herrera etc.

fps

Fans are right to complain. Man Utd are slowly becoming Everton.

kps88

People forget just how much complaining went on in here during SAF's time as well.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Most complaints are right when it comes to the general direction this club has been going in this past decade.

But the reaction to these first two games has been a bit ridiculous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The lowest position United have finished in these 10 years is 7th. Some clubs have gone out of business in that time. I think a bit of perspective is needed sometimes when we start whinging.

Yes a club of our size should be doing alot better but in those 10 years we've still had a couple of 2nd place finishes and won 4 trophies.

We still have it better than 99 percent of fans in the country. Just comes off a little spoilt and entitled at times. United fans have no divine right to win everything.
Have you ever hung out on a message board dedicated to some of these other clubs? They do a hell of a lot of moaning too.

Plus Manchester United, the club, puts itself on a pedestal. It markets the stadium as “The Theatre of Dreams“ ffs. Nobody dreams of a couple of 2nd place finishes over 10 years.

I do agree that we have a lot of spoilt, entitled fans. But if you acknowledge yourself that the club has underachieved over the last 10 years then you can surely understand why there’s been a lot of complaining throughout that period. Plus I can assure you there was a hell of a lot of moaning in the 10 years before that too!

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The idea is that in the last few years the fans had valid reasons to complain, whereas 10 years ago, there were only moments, here and there.
It's normal to complain now, when we expected to close the gap, or even a title challenge and we got one of the worst football from the league in the first 2 games.

Steve 007

No I don’t think they are.
There are genuinely fans who wanted rid of Fergie everytime he didn’t win the league or had a few poor results.
The press have always had us in crises if we have a few poor results.
Our pundits like Keane as much as he was a legend was pushed out due to negativity about our players.
Just look at the way many are ready to turn on Ten Hag after a fantastic first season because we’ve had two poor games. There are genuinely two threads on the forum. One slagging Shaw off for his performances this season and one saying our season is screwed as he’s injured.

You couldn’t make it up.

JuriM

The Ffia/FantasyFootball/Fm generation, where everyone wants to have the World's best XI in their team and only that, win sextuple every season and score 200+ goals.

Telsim

The Ffia/FantasyFootball/Fm generation, where everyone wants to have the World's best XI in their team and only that, win sextuple every season and score 200+ goals.
Ah yes, that is what everyone wants. Good job, mate, you really got'em this time! Damn those computer video games!

:rolleyes:

Glorio

No I don’t think they are.
There are genuinely fans who wanted rid of Fergie everytime he didn’t win the league or had a few poor results.
The press have always had us in crises if we have a few poor results.
Our pundits like Keane as much as he was a legend was pushed out due to negativity about our players.
Just look at the way many are ready to turn on Ten Hag after a fantastic first season because we’ve had two poor games. There are genuinely two threads on the forum. One slagging Shaw off for his performances this season and one saying our season is screwed as he’s injured.

You couldn’t make it up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Crazy isn't it.

Anyway, with regards to EtH, he's obviously trying to implement a new system of play (which looked to work away against Spurs in the first half), however, we're having teething issues as expected.
Let's not start pretending we didn't all see the first iteration of his imprint on this team last season after some initial stinkers.
Everyone in the know who has spoken to the press about him says he lives and breathes football, and is a stickler for detail. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the issues he needs to fix. Whether he has the resources to fix them to the extent he might wish for is a different matter.

Have to say Antony is a weird one, Mount too (seems an expensive positional experiment) but they may yet surprise us, even if that's looking less and less likely with Antony

Zed is not dead

We've been shite in the first two games, no argument here (though I'd point out we won one which no-one seems to remember) but I'm surprised at how quickly everyone here has gotten so negative. ETH is suddenly being questioned after being praised about 2 weeks ago, Mount is now useless, Casemiro is past it, Bruno isn't reliable etc.

The forum seems to have pulled a complete 180 because of a bad 8 days. Granted, its probably because there's really negative posters that only bother to post when we lose and the more positive ones are less likely to post now so it's probably not the same posters but I've still been surprised at how little it took for the mood to change and I don't think it was like this years ago.

Is this because of other things like the eternal sale or the *You know what* debacle that the club has mismanaged over the last week or are we just much quicker to complain after several years of underperformance?
This.

I don’t mind being disappointed and criticism is perfectly fine.
But more often than not it’s not criticism but just people venting. Just « shite this » and « shite that » and « shambles this ».
There are posters that didn’t post when we had a good run of games last season, but started to post again where our form dipped, who only ever post to be negative. Never a positive word, no debate, no nuance.
Just like Yagami waited 3 months to come back after a bad display from Casemiro for example

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
In fairness 10 years ago we were off the back of a league winning season, starting a bright brave new era under the chosen one. Other than the shite transfer window (oh what could have been) there wasn’t a lot to complain about.
Imagine if we knew then what we know now :(

Steve 007

I think Chelsea have been a bigger disappointment than us. Arsenal dug in against palace but a better team with all that possession wins that game. Liverpool were really poor against Chelsea and got a lucky draw. Villa (every pundits dark horse) were battered against Newcastle who lost to city. In conclusion only Man City and Brighton have been really convincing and spurs have renewed hope. As fans we need to realise this is a harsh league with many many good teams and we won’t get it all our own way.
Both our own fans and the press are hammering our team and manager after two games. We will perform easier if the pressure lid is kept on.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Its difficult to say because social media has become so big and it gives everyone a platform and extreme opinions are as visible as any. I do think the Caf is becoming more moany, i joined in 2015 so was after the good times of SAF but since then it does feel as though there a lot more people criticising the team, manager, management etc and people almost celebrate being "right" when someone doesnt perform (the EtH thread is a live example!)

It might just be user numbers have increased on the Caf in recent years but definitely seems to be more critical over the past few years.

dalriada

No. Fans complained from day one under Moyes :lol:
I thought there was a split at the time with most of the fans going along with the "Chosen One" optimism about Moyes but a big chunk that predicted doom because he hadn't won anything and hadn't managed a top club - the early supporters of Mourinho as SAF's successor. Moyes seemed to me to have broad support until it all started to go obviously wrong, but the "Chosen One" banners were around pretty well until he was sacked.
There was some moaning even during SAF's last years but it was about different issues - team ageing, failure to solve the midfield, why did he persist with Tom Cleverly, etc. It reflected the fact that we won something most seasons, so the subjects for complaint were around comparisons with the top European teams like Barca and Real Madrid. When we drifted out of the top four under Moyes, everyone was in shock so the moaning became harsher in tone and it's pretty well been that way since for obvious reasons. I think every manager since has attracted criticism from from a section of the fans, at least after the usual honeymoon periods when everyone hopes we've turned the corner.
Most of the fans have complained about the Glazers since they took over - not surprising given the controversy about the way it was done.

Skills

Snitch
The answer to this won't be what you're expecting. Complaining is relative and there was no less of it then than there is now, but what has happened is that what the fanbase complains about, and how certain it is to make up its mind and be adamant it is an issue, carries a heavier tone as the dissenting voices are vociferous, with good reason.

Ten years ago takes us back to 2013. As a fanbase, we'd have been absolutely used to - and expectant of - domestic success and our aspirations would most certainly have been to lock horns with the best in the world in pursuit of more Champions League trophies. Dissenting voices against the manager himself would have been drowned out, but gripes about playing style or team selection would have been aired, not en masse, but noticeably enough for talking points to be discussed. Issues with the Glazers abound, but Ferguson still winning despite his hands being tied, and quelling upheaval would again keep the lid on anger and annoyance. With Ferguson at the helm, gripes could only be small and there was merit to him figuring things out, ergo, doubt could never be absolute.

Now? We've seen everything enough times over to be stuck in a Groundhog's Day loop of misery and despair. Relative to the glory days of the aforementioned Ferguson era, these are the darkest times some of the fanbase have ever experienced, and even for those who grew up with or before Fergie's era, this is a different kind of uncertainty because it's a team and collection of individuals that are hard to identify with and a club that is harder to connect with and back than it ever has been. Not only has the football been bad, what the club stand for and the values most were raised on are being eroded.

The Post-Ferguson era has also ushered in civil war(s) amongst the fanbase; people selectively picking managers - and players - to back to the very end and defending them to the hilt, whilst giving others extremely short shrift. Such things didn't exist ten years ago; the fanbase was nowhere near as fractured or entrenched in opposing camps - we're the most disenfranchised fanbase in the country; no other club has infighting to this degree. It's been a huge turnaround from the United against the world days that had us despised for our unity and collective certainty of purpose.

The: 'It's been 1, 2, 5 10 games' thing is also wearing thin and so people who once held their tongue and let things run their [obvious] course are more outspoken and certain in their belief that things are wrong because they've seen it all before. Lest we forget it took only two games for LVG to do a complete about turn in how he approached an entire season previously, and just last season, ETH himself succinctly arrested a perceived slide by entering the transfer market after a hammering by Brentford in the second game of the season. If managers can change tact in such short order because they see things are in need of immediate address, it shouldn't be a surprise when a weary, and by now, rather conditioned fanbase does the same. We know more than a thing or two about failure, feck ups and calamitous goings on at varying points in a season. Same goes for players; the benefit of the doubt is not there and there is less credit in the bank or tolerance for failing, but not for failing's sake, rather, in the hope issues get fixed and addressed to avoid the whole script being force-fed over a whole campaign, yet again.

Ten years is a really long time for a giant to be in the doldrums. What is a concern is we rarely look like we're moving forward - if it's not one thing going wrong, it's another, and the net result is we mostly appear inert, certainly when a wider net is cast and analysed. There isn't more or faster complaining than 10 years ago as a whole, but the topics for complaint are rawer, more serious, more certain and more egregious - we've gone from relative 1st world problems of a giant club not doing as well as it should in the Champions League, peered to other giants, to a club with so many issues that you can take your pick of what you wish to be up in arms about at any given time. You're not going to pay much attention to a complaint about 'zombie football' whilst your team is winning the league, compared to the knives being out for, say, Mason Mount before his United career has really gotten underway. What we have now is far more volatility, anger, intensity and frustration; you can say these things are quicker to rear their head and that what was a slowburn in the past in that sphere has gone, but the speed at which complaints are made? No, that hasn't changed, but the topics of conversation have.
Good post. Particularly agree with everything in bold

Revan

Assumptionman
I didn't realise were only talking about match day supporters. I know on here at least there was a negativity over the appointment because I was constantly trying to defend the choice and give him a chance. I don't know if the thread is still around but it'd be interesting to go back and read.

Fellini was another one that people complained about straight away. That whole summer was negative with the 3 amigos/Herrera etc.
Caf was incredibly supportive of Moyes.

I know this cause I was easily the most negative poster (and against Moyes since the beginning) when it came to that and was constantly abused, name-called and put in ignore lists. While most people were pretending that it is okay and it is just X games.

Hammondo

I don't think so, if we played this badly back then fans would be complaining more due to the higher expectations.

Skills

Snitch
Caf was incredibly supportive of Moyes.

I know this cause I was easily the most negative poster (and against Moyes since the beginning) when it came to that and was constantly abused, name-called and put in ignore lists. While most people were pretending that it is okay and it is just X games.
Yeah the Caf had labeled the likes of Rio, Evra and co as toxic players who'd 'downed tools'. Wanted them kicking out for the sake of Moyes :lol:

el3mel

If Ferguson was appointed today, there'd be fans calling for him to be sacked a month in.

I'm not saying fans are wrong to moan after 11 years. But Mount, ETH and Casemiro haven't been here 11 years.

What I'm saying is people were mostly positive about 2 weeks ago. 11 years justifies complaining but 2 games doesn't and that's all its taken for the complete shift in attitude here. If you're not being consistent than yes, it is knee jerk to get angry after just 2 games.

Either that or the people who are consistently annoyed because of the last 11 years just dont post unless we lose so I didn't notice them until the last game.
Fans have seen too many false dawns. Too many times we thought we were back then things went down hill again, so whenever we lose, it's a natural instinct to expect it to go south again like what happened before. This club doesn't give any slight confidence whatsoever to its fans.

crossy1686

career ending
No, you’re just more aware of it now due to social media. I remember when we finished 3rd twice in a row and people were questioning whether or not it was time for Fergie to go. The expectations and demands of being at United are extremely high, and people will ask questions when those self imposed standards aren’t being met.

For every thread like this, you could have an opposite thread pointing out that fans are too tolerant these days and are content with the clubs slide to non competitiveness because people are ‘trying’.

If you’re under the impression people are annoyed because of two games of football, you’ve had your head firmly in the sand for most of the second half of last season.

People are right or wrongly asking why after a full year of Ten Hag, we still don’t have a recognisable style of play, why we’ve only come from behind to win once, why his signings aren’t improving, why Mason Mount, and why we start the season looking this unfit or off the pace, and this is despite spending almost £400m in 12 months, which is almost half of our £1b spend of the last 10 years.

People aren’t moaning for no reason at all other than being miserable. United look poised to take a step back before taking a step forward again and people aren’t happy about it.

Ludens the Red

The answer to this won't be what you're expecting. Complaining is relative and there was no less of it then than there is now, but what has happened is that what the fanbase complains about, and how certain it is to make up its mind and be adamant it is an issue, carries a heavier tone as the dissenting voices are vociferous, with good reason.

Ten years ago takes us back to 2013. As a fanbase, we'd have been absolutely used to - and expectant of - domestic success and our aspirations would most certainly have been to lock horns with the best in the world in pursuit of more Champions League trophies. Dissenting voices against the manager himself would have been drowned out, but gripes about playing style or team selection would have been aired, not en masse, but noticeably enough for talking points to be discussed. Issues with the Glazers abound, but Ferguson still winning despite his hands being tied, and quelling upheaval would again keep the lid on anger and annoyance. With Ferguson at the helm, gripes could only be small and there was merit to him figuring things out, ergo, doubt could never be absolute.

Now? We've seen everything enough times over to be stuck in a Groundhog's Day loop of misery and despair. Relative to the glory days of the aforementioned Ferguson era, these are the darkest times some of the fanbase have ever experienced, and even for those who grew up with or before Fergie's era, this is a different kind of uncertainty because it's a team and collection of individuals that are hard to identify with and a club that is harder to connect with and back than it ever has been. Not only has the football been bad, what the club stand for and the values most were raised on are being eroded.

The Post-Ferguson era has also ushered in civil war(s) amongst the fanbase; people selectively picking managers - and players - to back to the very end and defending them to the hilt, whilst giving others extremely short shrift. Such things didn't exist ten years ago; the fanbase was nowhere near as fractured or entrenched in opposing camps - we're the most disenfranchised fanbase in the country; no other club has infighting to this degree. It's been a huge turnaround from the United against the world days that had us despised for our unity and collective certainty of purpose.

The: 'It's been 1, 2, 5 10 games' thing is also wearing thin and so people who once held their tongue and let things run their [obvious] course are more outspoken and certain in their belief that things are wrong because they've seen it all before. Lest we forget it took only two games for LVG to do a complete about turn in how he approached an entire season previously, and just last season, ETH himself succinctly arrested a perceived slide by entering the transfer market after a hammering by Brentford in the second game of the season. If managers can change tact in such short order because they see things are in need of immediate address, it shouldn't be a surprise when a weary, and by now, rather conditioned fanbase does the same. We know more than a thing or two about failure, feck ups and calamitous goings on at varying points in a season. Same goes for players; the benefit of the doubt is not there and there is less credit in the bank or tolerance for failing, but not for failing's sake, rather, in the hope issues get fixed and addressed to avoid the whole script being force-fed over a whole campaign, yet again.

Ten years is a really long time for a giant to be in the doldrums. What is a concern is we rarely look like we're moving forward - if it's not one thing going wrong, it's another, and the net result is we mostly appear inert, certainly when a wider net is cast and analysed. There isn't more or faster complaining than 10 years ago as a whole, but the topics for complaint are rawer, more serious, more certain and more egregious - we've gone from relative 1st world problems of a giant club not doing as well as it should in the Champions League, peered to other giants, to a club with so many issues that you can take your pick of what you wish to be up in arms about at any given time. You're not going to pay much attention to a complaint about 'zombie football' whilst your team is winning the league, compared to the knives being out for, say, Mason Mount before his United career has really gotten underway. What we have now is far more volatility, anger, intensity and frustration; you can say these things are quicker to rear their head and that what was a slowburn in the past in that sphere has gone, but the speed at which complaints are made? No, that hasn't changed, but the topics of conversation have.
Couldn’t have put it any better. Bits in bold in particular.

We've been shite in the first two games, no argument here (though I'd point out we won one which no-one seems to remember) but I'm surprised at how quickly everyone here has gotten so negative. ETH is suddenly being questioned after being praised about 2 weeks ago, Mount is now useless, Casemiro is past it, Bruno isn't reliable etc.

The forum seems to have pulled a complete 180 because of a bad 8 days. Granted, its probably because there's really negative posters that only bother to post when we lose and the more positive ones are less likely to post now so it's probably not the same posters but I've still been surprised at how little it took for the mood to change and I don't think it was like this years ago.

Is this because of other things like the eternal sale or the *You know what* debacle that the club has mismanaged over the last week or are we just much quicker to complain after several years of underperformance?
I don’t think this is the case actually. Kinda touching on from the post previously quoted but maybe there’s some selective reading of posts on your part if you believe there’s been a total turnaround with the team and ten Hag. People were questioning this window and team before the wolves game. Ten Hag isn’t unanimously loved either, there’s plenty who still think the jury is out with him. It’s just that depending on how things are going the Ten Hag praise/criticism will always be lopsided because either side will obviously be more vocal depending on results. It’s the nature of the beast really…

GiveItToGi...nowait

We have been shit for 11 years. 11 years without challenging even once for the major trophies like PL or CL, struggling to finish top 4 every year (some times even top 6). We have become a banter club used for memes and only good in getting liked and retweets on social media. We have been playing awful football as well for the majority of these 11 years.

Yet it's the fans who are knee jerk and quick to complain.

Amazing stuff.
:lol: Only just finishing inside the top six clubs in the country, oh the horror !No club has a God given right to win things. All we can do as fans is be patient and enjoy the journey, the bad times will make the good times even better.

Robbie Boy

Excellent post.

I particularly agree with the 4th paragraph. The 'civil wars' started during the Jose era and have only gotten worse.

I just don't understand how some fans become obsessed with any of our players or managers, when none have had any major success here. The manager obsession is particularly weird; they were all fecking shite post-Fergie. ETH had a relatively good first season, but there's still question marks there. Yet, we still have ardent Jose and Ole defenders on here; it's all very odd.

El Jefe

Ten years ago we used to complain about specific things. The lack of midfield, zombie football and no value in the transfer market/Glazernomics. But people largely loved the team and players representing us as well as SAF.

Now we complain about everything and rightfully so. There isn't one aspect of this club that I feel is unimpeachable in the way SAF or the winning mentality of the players we used to have were.

We should be quicker to complain and not accept the shite that's been served up the last 10 years.

el3mel

:lol: Only just finishing inside the top six clubs in the country, oh the horror !No club has a God given right to win things. All we can do as fans is be patient and enjoy the journey, the bad times will make the good times even better.
First: I can't endure this kind of mentality. United are a huge club spending ton of money on the best managers and players every year, yet you see posts like these content with mediocrity and want us to accept it to. Finishing top 6 and winning no League titles for 11 years for a club with the size of United is an absolute disaster. Enjoy your mediocrity, but don't force us to lower our expectations to feel better about the club being shit.

Second, I will enjoy the journey when it's fun. The journey has been shit through and through.

Zed 101

It is a lot easier to complain to a larger audience that is the main difference, what used to be a whinge with your mates down the pub can now be broadcast to billions..... also 10 years ago we had not suffered through Moyes, VDG, Mourinhio, Ole, Ragnick and the dominance of Pep

Cans&Bans

It's all social medias fault in terms of the levels of complaining.
Back when I started going properly in the early 80's, we were pretty shit and we did our moaning with our mates (however, I was only a kid and I still thought we were the dogs bollocks)

Now you've got no mark nobheads with you tube channels and other nobheads following them and taking their word as gospel etc. It creates toxicity between some fans and in turn, makes the moaning increase ten fold.

Me personally - I don't give a shite anymore. I know we're not good enough yet, so why bitch and whine? Our time will come again

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
A loser's attitude.

Rojofiam

I'd say most fans are not willing to give time to players or managers anymore, because when's the last time that eventually worked out in the last decade?

I do think we should give ETH, Murtough and current players time, though. They've earned it in the last 12 months.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We have too many snowflakes in the world nowadays. If they don't bitch and cry about United then they'd be busy annoying the world with their pointless protests against pollution or trying to cancel hard working innocent British people like Dan Wootton, so if anything this forum is doing the world a service. Of course I'm joking you twats

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
No, there's just more to complain about

RuudTom83

All due to utter dogshit like talksport...meaning we all get bombarded with endless negativity 24/7 all for clicks.

Alan Partridge

Yes. People tend to complain more when are going badly compared to when they’re going well.

Born2Lose

There's a difference between being a loyal fan and running out of patience when your club is run by incompetents at the highest level.