Are the lads back in training yet?

fps

Sorry, did Fernandes put the ball over one goal to hit the top corner of another goal?! Love that - interesting again he went to Mata. Those two play very well together generally, where is Mata's contract at? He seemed to have a bit of a renaissance once he was with another footballer with a similar way of looking at the game, and may be a very useful squad player for the next couple of seasons.

romufc

Sorry, did Fernandes put the ball over one goal to hit the top corner of another goal?!
I think they use the goal infront to act as a wall. It looks like Rashy might be off freekicks.

I would think that one more penalty miss and he might be off those too.

fps

I think they use the goal infront to act as a wall. It looks like Rashy might be off freekicks.

I would think that one more penalty miss and he might be off those too.
Oh no, I'd forgotten all about the penalty issues from this season..............! (Still this season!? Feels like years ago)

romufc

Oh no, I'd forgotten all about the penalty issues from this season..............! (Still this season!? Feels like years ago)
Penalty issues... so annoying. Especially at the start of the season where we missed penalties at crucial times.

Wolves and Palace, 3 points turned into 1 and 0.

Brightonian

It seemed like Rashford sorted out his penalties later in the season. Weren't both his misses earlier on? Transfermarkt shows 2 missed and 6 scored by him, but not when or against who.

Still, until Bruno misses one I'm sure he'll be the one taking them. I don't see that lasting forever though - as good as his record is, that hop-kick approach seems fallible.

romufc

It seemed like Rashford sorted out his penalties later in the season. Weren't both his misses earlier on? Transfermarkt shows 2 missed and 6 scored by him, but not when or against who.

Still, until Bruno misses one I'm sure he'll be the one taking them. I don't see that lasting forever though - as good as his record is, that hop-kick approach seems fallible.
He has scored 22 of his 24 penalties he has taken.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not surprised though, not a great look for your CB is it?

Could you imagine Vidic, Stam or even Blanc getting shoved off like that
Vidic got mugged off by Torres on several occasions. Blanc at United got done up against pacey strikers.

romufc

Vidic got mugged off by Torres on several occasions. Blanc at United got done up against pacey strikers.
I did make that case. I haven't seen a CB that never gets mugged off. Didnt the might VVD get floored by rashford at OT this season?

Sometimes you just don't expect a forward to do something which catches you off guard. What makes a good CB is making sure that these are rare occurrences.

romufc

But that's expected linderlof is a cb come on how can you compare?
Expected? I do not expect any player to be barged of the ball.

Yes, Lindelof is a weaker CB than usual, Maguire is slower than our usual CB, do we go on about his pace every week?

mancan92

Expected? I do not expect any player to be barged of the ball.

Yes, Lindelof is a weaker CB than usual, Maguire is slower than our usual CB, do we go on about his pace every week?
And if we had seen maguire get outpaced then we would have commented but one of the basic requirements for a cb is strength and not being bullied off the ball. Whereas pace isn't.

Attacking midfielders are not expected to be the strongest so if they get knocked off occasionally then fair play. Whereas defenders shouldn't unless its against people like giroud.

romufc

And if we had seen maguire get outpaced then we would have commented but one of the basic requirements for a cb is strength and not being bullied off the ball. Whereas pace isn't.

Attacking midfielders are not expected to be the strongest so if they get knocked off occasionally then fair play. Whereas defenders shouldn't unless its against people like giroud.
Yes, I agree and I do think Bailly if fit should be our first choice.

However; Lindelof has done ok this season, given his lack of physical presence. You would think the coaches would have seen this and tried to get him to improve on this.

pascell

It was a behind closed doors friendly for the reserves.

People like Dalot, Chong and Gomes played, and Ravel Morrison played against us apparently.

These type of friendlies aren't uncommon at all but they rarely get talked about.
I remember reading about that, sure it was shortly after Bruno signed.

Brightonian

He has scored 22 of his 24 penalties he has taken.
Yep, hence 'as good as his record is', and 'until Bruno misses one I'm sure he'll be the one taking them.'

I just personally have a hunch that technique is not going to be successful indefinitely, but I will be very, very happy to be proven wrong. I know it's an irrational feeling.

georgipep

Yes, I agree and I do think Bailly if fit should be our first choice.

However; Lindelof has done ok this season, given his lack of physical presence. You would think the coaches would have seen this and tried to get him to improve on this.
People put too much importance on defenders being built like tanks. One Paolo Maldini comes to mind, who never was the "physical" type but was smart, technical and agile.

Before I get crucified and misquoted, let me state clearly that I'm not saying Lindelof is of Maldini's mould or quality. One can hope he has the potential and will get closer though.

criticalanalysis

People put too much importance on defenders being built like tanks. One Paolo Maldini comes to mind, who never was the "physical" type but was smart, technical and agile.

Before I get crucified and misquoted, let me state clearly that I'm not saying Lindelof is of Maldini's mould or quality. One can hope he has the potential and will get closer though.
You're confusing 'physical presence' with size. No one is asking Lindelof to grow 4 inches taller but any defender, who aspires to be any good knows how to use their physical strengths to their advantage. It's a part of the game as much as 'intelligence'. Maldini knew plenty how to use the length of his stride (for tackling/shielding etc) and shoulders to defend so that's a poor comparison.

Hoping for Lindelof to show a higher level than he's shown is futile imo, when he's shown nothing suggest this 'potential'. He's an average placeholder, who may not harm our performances but I predict he will fast stand out as the weakest link in team. AWB, Shaw and Maguire are all superior defenders and athletes. Then everyone in front of him (the likely first 11) are easily levels above in mentality and technique.

At the moment, he's been able to blend in well enough during our period of inconsistency simply by being fit/available and giving neither here or there performances. However, once the squad clicks and plays more on the front foot, if he continues to pussy foot, it will be clear.

Evans999

Inter-squad training 90 minutes match at Old Trafford today, Bruno and Pogba on separate teams

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Does anyone know how it turned out, intrigued to know what the two sides were and who won.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Try to piece together the two sides

Red: Williams, TFM, Pogba, Matic, Jesse, Rashford, Greenwood,

Gold: Shaw, AWB, Fred, McT, Bruno, James, Martial,

According to a reddit user:

Home:

Matic Rashford Brandon Lingard Ighalo Pogba Dalot Gomes Tahith Greenwood Maguire TFM

Away:

AWB Shaw Fred Mcsauce Mata Bruno James Martial Pereira Tuanzebe

meamth

Apparently team in red is fighting for the first 11 against Tottenham.

You can see the team in yellow are all starters.
Pogba might be on the bench vs Tottenham.

RyRy11

How do you reckon they picked teams? Two Captians and they get to choose one at a time?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That's 100% not the case. Maguire and Rashford also wore the home kit.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

I seriously doubt that. All of Rashford, Pogba are in red and I'm sure they are seen as first team starters.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Try to piece together the two sides

Red: Williams, TFM, Pogba, Matic, Jesse, Rashford, Greenwood,

Gold: Shaw, AWB, Fred, McT, Bruno, James, Martial,

According to a reddit user:

Home:

Matic Rashford Brandon Lingard Ighalo Pogba Dalot Gomes Tahith Greenwood Maguire TFM

Away:

AWB Shaw Fred Mcsauce Mata Bruno James Martial Pereira Tuanzebe
One side with Lingard and one with Pereira, too tough to call this one.