Are United fans arrogant?

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I'd say most fans have a huge bias to their own club (bias in debate, not just support) and when the club is successful that bias pretty much comes across as arrogance.

I do think when a club has had as much success as Manchester United though in recent history that you do get some arrogant fans that think it is our divine right to win things, but I'd say they're in the minority.

stubie

United fans of my generation have been showered with success

With some fans, arrogance will come, guess that's natural

RemiMoses

I learned to be humble after we lost the league to Leeds in 1992. I thought we'd win it, and the abuse I got from Liverpool fans really taught me a lesson.

The Wizard

I think relative to their success the general aura among United fans is of arrogance. This is largely felt by fans of clubs outside England because United haven't had the success in the continent to back it up. Whether United fans like ot or not, Liverpool still do.
How can you know this is largely felt outside of England? Liverpool fans were unbareable to other English clubs, when they were winning English trophies. Lets keep to what we know.

Your argument is like saying Barca fans, who's team have only this past 3 years equaled & overtaken United's CL haul (and still behind the elite of europe)... are seen across the continent as being arrogant also, only becasue previously they weren't successful in europe.

It is harder to judge how fans of European clubs felt 30 years ago, becasue we didn't have the same intimate TV coverage then as we do now, or the net with message boards and forums to see opposition reactions like we do now.

I certainly don't see any over arrogance from United fans when it comes to Europe. We know we are in the top teir of CL teams in say the last 10 years, but we aren't in the elite trophies wise.

Varun

Staff
Well, its not right to brand all fans as arrogant based on few that someone might come across. Every club has its arrogant set of fans. United do too.. Also, there are plenty who are just arrogant by nature and their support of any particular club has nothing to do with it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think so yes. Look at some of the posts in this forum demanding transfers or bemoaning genuinely class players like Park and Da Gea.

A lot of people support Manchester United because they are the best team. Of course that will lead to arrogant fans.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's simple statistics really. It doesn't have to be just arrogance. Also obnoxiousness. And the more fans you have the more you will see of both.

Liverpool were very successful but haven't been now for a long time. People who started following Liverpool when they got successful now have kids that follow Liverpool as well because they were brought up that way. They've never seen Liverpool win anything really but in their minds they are the biggest team because that's how they were raised.

I think there are lot of fans that show this cnutish behavior and are United fans. That's because they don't know anything but success and they mostly bicker with Liverpool fans which mostly results in childish taunts and behavior.

Thankfully I don't associate with these fans and I don't work in an office so I've managed to escape that pretty much all my life. My Liverpool mates are mostly quite sensible about football even though their fans here have the same reputation as they do in England. At least Liverpool won it the "right way". I can imagine City fans being very obnoxious in 20 years time if they keep up their winnings. Chelsea fans haven't resorted much to that I've felt.

Adebesi

Arrogant to some extent but it isnt the first negative observation that springs to mind. More spoilt that arrogant I think. And this is also inevitable on the back of all the success we have had.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was arrogant about United even when we were crap. I was (at some level) convinced that "next year" was going to be the big one, that "on our day" we were a match for anyone, that our players were underrated, that our youth team had world class talent, that any manager/player in the world would see it as an honour to work for us, that we had the best ground, the loyalist fans, the funniest chants.

The only time I doubted any of the above was when it became mathematically impossible for us to win the League - these delusions continued for a couple of decades. Such is the nature of fandom, it messes with your head.

These days I'm arrogant enough to believe that we deserve our success.

dmode

Seeing how we gifted the league this season has made me become a little bit more realistic. I have never been an arrogant supporter... we have never been unbeatable.

I'd be very happy of course to see Manchester United continue on the winning streak... but IMHO I see it as being a little more tricky these days.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
We have an almost unshakeable confidence and belief in our players and manager and we're used to success on the field. Whilst we don't consider we have a god-given right to win everything we do believe that our players have the quality, drive and passion to beat class teams and win trophies.

That's not arrogance but it is a feeling that is alien to many supporters of other clubs, so they, quite understandably, have a poor understanding of where we're coming from.

City fans thought we were arrogant once, a feeling thay were totally unable to comprehend.....until they got mega rich owners and could afford any player in the world. Since then they've given arrogance a completely new meaning.

We're going to be the nice guys soon.....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
i'd say yes

when you see match previews with predictions of United winning 5-0, 6-0, 7-0 etc, it shows no respect to the other team. That is arrogant

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
As much as I hate to admit it, there are a lot of Man United fans out there who are arrogant. I cringe when I see people saying it's not acceptable for the team to not buy a new central midfielder, or that they're very unhappy with the season just past. Yes, not all is perfect but you're in a privileged position if you support this club to have the team you have and the players you have on show. Seriously, I come from Scotland and if any of you were forced to watch our football all the time then you would soon realise just how privileged you are.

It's usually at it's worst on matchday. If we beat a team like Fulham by a couple of goals, you'll see plenty of moaners complaining that it should've been by more when the fact of the matter is that the majority of team would happily accept a comfortable victory over a mid-table Premier League side.

Luckily though, the majority of the arrogant, ignorant ones are the ones you see on the Facebook page for example. Unfortunately though, it's not limited to there and while the standard of posting here is decent I'd say, there can be times when a lot of the arrogant fans come out and show their true colours.

Dave89

As much as I hate to admit it, there are a lot of Man United fans out there who are arrogant. I cringe when I see people saying it's not acceptable for the team to not buy a new central midfielder, or that they're very unhappy with the season just past. Yes, not all is perfect but you're in a privileged position if you support this club to have the team you have and the players you have on show. Seriously, I come from Scotland and if any of you were forced to watch our football all the time then you would soon realise just how privileged you are.

It's usually at it's worst on matchday. If we beat a team like Fulham by a couple of goals, you'll see plenty of moaners complaining that it should've been by more when the fact of the matter is that the majority of team would happily accept a comfortable victory over a mid-table Premier League side.

Luckily though, the majority of the arrogant, ignorant ones are the ones you see on the Facebook page for example. Unfortunately though, it's not limited to there and while the standard of posting here is decent I'd say, there can be times when a lot of the arrogant fans come out and show their true colours.
Well to be fair I think the heatbreaking end to this season has vindicated that stance.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Spoilt, arrogant, appreciative, demanding, confident...etc

It's a bit difficult to stereotype an entire set of fans (barring Liverpool fans, obviously - the robbing bastards). Even on here, for every person you've got bemoaning the state of our team, you've got another one more calm and confident as to future chances. In the matchday thread, there are armies of spastics, rivalled also by the many people saying that it'll be fine, or that we should be grateful.

As for your average match-goer, I don't see us as more spoilt or demanding than anyone else, although I suppose we've not had a really shaky period in quite some time. I've been to a fair few [other grounds regularly with mates though - in particular, The Reebock - and their fans go fecking mental when they're not playing well. Even under Allardyce, the Bolton fans were incredibly demanding, and shouting all sorts of abuse at, say, Ricardo Vaz Te (who was fecking shite, to be fair).

In terms of arrogance, arrogance is quite often a defence against something anyway. With United's success has come a lot of resentment naturally, and a lot of arrogance that exists may well because it's the easiest way to counter the many rival fans that dish it out. I don't doubt that we have a lot of arrogant fans given the size of our club and the success of it, but there will be other factors too.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well to be fair I think the heatbreaking end to this season has vindicated that stance.
I was actually going to mention that in my post and forgot to address it. I understand that it obviously cost us in the end, but it's not an isolated case. There have been plenty of seasons where it hasn't mattered but fans will still look back and complain. When we complain, it's just degrading our rivals and thinking more of ourselves. When the team wins, you should just take it and accept it. Obviously it could've been different this season, but it's no reason to go into an upcry as some fans did long before it settled the title.