Are Utd Making You Depressed?

::sonny::

Yes, because they don’t sign the best in class
for each role, but former United players without a professional cv

Zed 101

OP - Yes or rather, I used to find that watching football was a nice escape from my day-to-day, but now I have zero desire to watch us, but I do, as we all do because it is our job to keep watching :) and I find watching us leaves me flat and feeling like I could have spent that time doing something more rewarding....

I care about winning, obviously which fan doesn't but FFS give me some effort, desire, bust a gut and go down fighting.... there are millions of fans and hundreds of professional footballers who can only dream of playing football for Utd, it is an insult to all of us to see the apathy from the current squad

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I've lost so much interest in football because of United in 2022.

It didn't matter if we lost or won before, it was always something to look forward to because the players always replicated the effort. Now it feels as though most of them are going through the motions and it's completely taken away the joy of watching football.

I don't even care to watch other games now because I'll always compare it to United...which is irritating because then I end up missing Benzema ruining Chelsea or Arsenal getting a humbling from Palace.

Bestietom

I travel over from Ireland now, But just once in 2022, so far. Yes I get depressed when I see some players not even trying.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The way United have performed is a slap on the face for all fans. I’ll always have a certain degree of disdain against this current crop of players. Least likeable bunch by far. Can’t wait till be bring some new faces in.

Beagle

They have freed up at least 4 hours and at most up to 10 hours from my week. I'm chuffed.

Steve 007

It’s the lack of effort that gets me down.
I wouldn’t mind being mid table if it was their ability and they put blood sweat and tears in. We are not making any effort. Every week we play like it’s a friendly , we make little effort. We have Everton and Norwich next. Two teams we should batter and build some momentum to actually try to fight for 4th. I’d bet Everton see this as an opportunity to win a game and start their fight.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
United and Football is a hobby of mine.

I believe all I can do is watch a match and provide my support to the club and its players whilst trying to enjoy the match as much as I can. Even if it doesn't make me as happy due to decisions, performance or results, it doesn't exactly make me depressed.

I do not believe I am important or big enough to look down at this club - all I am is a single number amongst millions. Its not my money that is being lost. Its not my decisions.

The fact is that 95% of our fanbase would make the same mistakes and cause the same problems that they complain about as players or managers - this is why we sit obese in front of a TV or stadium whilst the rest - well just do their job.

thomash99

Used to ruin my day when we lost a game but at this point it's normal, so it's more of an annoyed, numb feeling

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Another week of depression. Imagine if there is an United fan with other issue and top it by United's result.

A9X SJ

It is depressing, even more so I don’t think I’ve had United player in my Fantasy Football team all season

Loon

:lol:
Angry. Genuinely. I can’t watch my beloved team with such hostility.

I await a new United side.

RedDevilMachine

What an atrocious this season has turned out to be. This has to be the most depressing and underwhelming season I can remember. At least under Moyes, we have breakout young stars like Januzaj who gave us a glimmer of hope. It's so hard to remain positive these days, covid, Russia and now Utd.

Chripper

I've been a fan since 1992. As I get older I'm becoming less invested with results.

I've always been more invested when it comes to international football.... I'm Scottish... so I'm used to depression and being disappointed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd say that it ruins my mood as I end up dedicating precious free time to an experience that only serves to annoy and frustrate. But depressing? Nah real life problems cause that.

Ole'sattheWheel

I think the social media side of things are worse than the actual football.
The worst shit liverpool & city fans got when we were on top were those cringe chain-texts of some joke about how shit they were.

Nowadays everything is a full-frontal meme you can't escape when we do something bad. My life improved ten-fold when i unfollowed everything football related on twitter/facebook/instagram and stopped coming on here all the time. I still care about United and want them to win obviously - but am I going to let them ruin my only 2 days off per week when the team clearly don't give a feck? Nope

Reactions: oates

MUW4Eva

Not depressed. Just sick of watching them.
If you are sick of watching the men's team, then why not watch the women's team, they are everything that the men's team are not!

They have heart, desire, and work for the badge!

el3mel

The worst shit liverpool & city fans got when we were on top were those cringe chain-texts of some joke about how shit they were.

Nowadays everything is a full-frontal meme you can't escape when we do something bad. My life improved ten-fold when i unfollowed everything football related on twitter/facebook/instagram and stopped coming on here all the time. I still care about United and want them to win obviously - but am I going to let them ruin my only 2 days off per week when the team clearly don't give a feck? Nope
I never get annoyed by any memes. The problem is, I hate watching us at the moment and feel like watching United is becoming a waste of my precious time that can be spent doing something more useful. Before watching United was some sort of entertainment to clear my head in my free time, now it sucks postponing my work just to watch a game I know very well before it starts that it'll be shit and we'll suck.

Coops73

A little, this forum makes me feel worse and yet here I am.

I do find that I come on less, comment less, I rarely go in the match day thread, it’s like a fecking bear pit in there.

I willingly worked this weekend in a vain attempt to avoid it, yet I listened on the wireless and recorded the game to watch later.

Im getting numb to it, I’ve resigned myself to the mediocrity of this team and the disdain I feel towards almost all of them and that in itself is what makes me sad.

Yorke to Cole

I am not feeling great about what has transpired this season. If I am depressed it should not be because of Manchester United TV. It is because or there is other issues surrounding my life.

However, with the expectation we were promised this season and how certain issues on and off the field have encompassed the club, whether it is do with what individuals have done away from football, as well as collectively on the field, we have really witnessed a diabolical effort.

I accept hard work and endeavor, but with what has enfolded this season, I have in (another discussion), said this club really owes its supporters a season.

Chripper

There's validity to that.

I'm not on social media (I loathe it) so I'm ignorant to what anyone on the outside thinks. Definitely helps with mental health, etc.

lee82gx

The last 10 years have really taught me a lot about football fanship. I played football as a recreation and its nothing compared to following United. Its just the 5 stages of grief really. I'm well past acceptance. The only sad part is that we part ways, I am emotionally detached from United. I didn't know it was possible, but it is. Its just something else also happening, to me. I don't talk about football unless someone strikes it up, or a mate goads me into it, but those close to me knows, I've given up. It just doesn't not make sense to invest my emotion and time into a group of players lead by the Glazers anymore.

I honestly respect the fans of lower clubs be it Aston Villa or Forest or whatever, in that they can week in week out support the team, pay for the tickets, pay for the kits, pay for the travels and just not ending up with any substantial success.

Red00012

I never turn off a Utd game but switched off at 3-0 tonight . The most unlikable squad I’ve experienced

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Past few weeks I've genuinely forgotten we're playing.

Tuned in tonight with mates at the pub and I wish I hadn't.

We are grim as feck.

MUW4Eva

All of the people who are down and depressed, why not watch the women's team, they are everything that the men's team are not.

They play with heart, desire and passion, score goals, and play gor the badge!

I urge everything to watch them, as they are far more of a representative of the club then the men's team currently are!

Xanther

Everyone, almost everyone that joins us turns useless.

Out-of-date tactics since Quieroz left, oft-complained about scouting department, clueless CEO hiring dinosaurs who have no business in the modern game, said clueless CEO hiring dinosaurs with styles that don't build on the previous whatsoever, no pre-existing culture of tactics and modernisation, etc, etc.

The list goes on and on and it's difficult laying any blame at all at Sancho when just last year he was respected all around the world. How can anyone be expected to perform when they're in a sinking ship?

I'm sick of watching these players join us and become lost, to be honest. I have a vested interest in football, and specifically Utd. If awesome players join us and are unable to perform due to poor conditions, then I'd rather they never joined and I'd rather watch them excel in some other team. Watching Pogba at Juve and Di Maria at Madrid was a sight to behold, and now with Sancho it's happened again. Let's not bother keeping count, there's many others.

There have been 2 possible sources of hope watching Utd in the past 12 years, one of which is not real.

(1) you switch on the game, not interested in the style or approach, you just want to have fun watching Utd batter someone. Typically can be done when watching Utd play against someone low-level like Aston Villa

(2) you switch on the game, and hope that you see signs of Utd implementing tactics, styles and instructions that are fit for the time and place. If you see this being attempted over a number of games without break, you can forgo the need to see Utd batter someone, or even forgo seeing Utd win, because you know it'll lead to higher peaks in the long-term (and you hope you can outplay those pesky Spanish sides when it comes to Europe, not just reduced to half-chances).

From 2009-13 we saw a lot of (1) and even won a few titles, but for sure in heart and mind, we were behind on the tactical front, on the modern game. We never saw (2).

Since 2013 until now, we have seen a lot less of (1) and still none of (2).

We haven't seen (2) since Quieroz left, it's been literally 12 years in standstill. We've literally seen tiki-taka take the world by storm, die out slowly to be replaced by gegen-pressing and we're still without identity. 2 tactical and technical revolutions and Utd decided instead, it didn't want to show up to the party.

Is it any surprise at all then, that players like Pogba, Varane, Sancho, etc have struggled here? Absolutely not.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Yeah its miserable at the moment. The whole club stinks at the moment. I'm genuinely a bit surprised people are getting themselves hyped up about the 'next clearout' & how ETH will turn us around when in all probability we'll still be the same 3 years down the line.

Finding it hard to identify with anything about the club. The football we've played for the last 9 years has been shite, there's not been any real spirit or fight in the way we approach the game & honestly worst of all i can't stand our fanbase at this moment in time. It started with the hero worship of Moyes, but i just find the managerial cults that form quite crass and weird.

So yeah, grim time to follow this club.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s been bad for so long it’s laughable. I can’t get depressed when the outcome is easily anticipated.