Are we in the Dalglish stage?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Every day another moaning thread with a fresh new angle.

The Caf really does come alive when we lose a few games.
Is it really moaning or is it more of a discussion? It’s a forum...

Also ‘a few games’ :lol:

fergies coat

Were in they early stages of the sir Alex years.

David Moyes was Tommy Doc.
LVG was Dave Sexton.
Jose was big Ron.
Now Ole is the reincarnation of the great man himself.

ravi2

Liverpool were never as bad as we are now.
They were, and their recruitment was as bad as ours.
I think they broke a club record buying Andy Carroll

Every time I saw Hodgson managing Livers it brought a smile to my face because I knew he was so shit, which is how I suppose oppo fans now see Ole.

Loon

:lol:
Were in they early stages of the sir Alex years.

David Moyes was Tommy Doc.
LVG was Dave Sexton.
Jose was big Ron.
Now Ole is the reincarnation of the great man himself.
Never. I'd give anything to see Tommy Doc football at OT now.

Green_Red

I know a lot is being said right now about what's going on with the club and I can't help but see similarities with us and Liverpool when they brought back Kenny Dalglish to manage them in 2011.

I can remember us laughing at them almost every week when they were struggling to pick up points and the man had them playing dull and stiff football. He took over temporarily at first but there were then calls to make him permanent manager, which they did. It wasn't great, and a lot of Liverpool supporters refused to turn on him though due to his status at the club and he stayed in the job for a year before eventually being sacked.

The next thing they did? They brought in a young manager who had a defined style of play. Swansea at the time were playing good football and despite what you may think of Rogers he did pretty well at Liverpool and was a slip (lol) away from a title. Klopp then had that base to build on when he eventually came in.

Moyes was a footballing dinosaur, we all know that. LVG was pretty similar in that vein too. Mourinho is a bit more modern but still had that stubbornness and refusal to accept players sometimes need an arm round the shoulder. Ole, despite being one of the younger generation of managers these days seems to also be stuck in the 90's with his thinking. It's pretty obvious that even just copying what Fergie did doesn't work anymore. If SAF was still manager he'd have completely changed his style by now because he was excellent at moving with the times.

The four managers we've had though, can anyone tell me the difference between their styles? Because all I've seen for the past 6 years is us passing it across the face of the opposition box and hoping an individual does something brilliant.

I do think it's a matter of time until Ole goes and I wish him the best. I really hope we hire a young exciting manager because what else have we got to lose?
I read as far as here because the team Klopp put out at the weekend, only 1 player that started his first match is still getting a game and thats James Milner. What base did he build on? None, he ripped the team to shreds and rebuilt, which is what we need. People forget Klopps first 8 months they were useless.

reddevil702

Ole supporters want to draw comparisons to when Klopp first took over at Liverpool when in reality this is the true comparison.

fastwalker

I know a lot is being said right now about what's going on with the club and I can't help but see similarities with us and Liverpool when they brought back Kenny Dalglish to manage them in 2011.
I can remember us laughing at them almost every week when they were struggling to pick up points and the man had them playing dull and stiff football. He took over temporarily at first but there were then calls to make him permanent manager, which they did. It wasn't great, and a lot of Liverpool supporters refused to turn on him though due to his status at the club and he stayed in the job for a year before eventually being sacked.
The next thing they did? They brought in a young manager who had a defined style of play. Swansea at the time were playing good football and despite what you may think of Rogers he did pretty well at Liverpool and was a slip (lol) away from a title. Klopp then had that base to build on when he eventually came in.
Moyes was a footballing dinosaur, we all know that. LVG was pretty similar in that vein too. Mourinho is a bit more modern but still had that stubbornness and refusal to accept players sometimes need an arm round the shoulder. Ole, despite being one of the younger generation of managers these days seems to also be stuck in the 90's with his thinking. It's pretty obvious that even just copying what Fergie did doesn't work anymore. If SAF was still manager he'd have completely changed his style by now because he was excellent at moving with the times.
The four managers we've had though, can anyone tell me the difference between their styles? Because all I've seen for the past 6 years is us passing it across the face of the opposition box and hoping an individual does something brilliant.
I do think it's a matter of time until Ole goes and I wish him the best. I really hope we hire a young exciting manager because what else have we got to lose?
Really? I do not know what similarities you are referring to. To the extent that there are any comparisons at all they are with Roy Hodgson. By the time of his departure, Liverpool were in virtual freefall, which based on the end of last season and the beginning of this seasons is exactly where United are with Ole. Dalglish actually stabilised Liverpool after Hodgson and if I am not mistaken Liverpool almost made the Champions League in the season that Dalglish replaced Hodgson. Yes, the football was awful, but it was functional and geared towards results.

By comparison, Ole has none of Dalglish's pedigree as a manager. Whatever else you may say about him, Dalglish was a serial winner in his first spell as Liverpool manager and also won the Premier League with Blackburn. Ole's lack of tactical acumen is being exposed for all to see. To the extent that United will win the Premier League title again, I simply cannot see how it will be with Ole.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I read as far as here because the team Klopp put out at the weekend, only 1 player that started his first match is still getting a game and thats James Milner. What base did he build on? None, he ripped the team to shreds and rebuilt, which is what we need. People forget Klopps first 8 months they were useless.
More as in they weren’t shit and had a steady position in the league.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I said the same thing the other day

Our current plight reminds me of Liverpool under Dalgish circa 2011. He came in as a caretaker appointment, a club legend who could bring back the feel good factor and steady the ship after some dour football. He oversaw some good results and then got the job permanently off the back of it. Signed some overpriced English talent, it all went to shit, then the fans were forced to admit it would be better if he were "moved upstairs" while they got a better manager.

If you want to put any stock into that worrying series of parallels, thankfully we're nearing the end of that process. Although it's interesting to note the similarities.
So basically yeah I agree

Shark

@NotShark
They never looked like serious relegation candidates for one! He’s just being colourful. Liverpool have not finished lower than 8th in 65 years. We will almost certainly finish lower than 8th this season and I’m fact very much look like we will be bottom half. Even when Liverpool have been inconsistent they’ve had good players and had the odd game where they put opponents to the sword. I’m sorry but it’s clear to me that we’re worse right now than Liverpool ever were.
I fully agree with this. Some fans are still in denial about how bad it’s really gotten.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did Dalglish have as bad a run as Ole did? I can't remember.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Liverpool were never as bad as we are now.
Liverpool were absolutelly horrendous in the late 00s and early 2010s

Let me refresh your memory

2009/10

2010/11

How the table looked when hodgson got sacked

2011/12

2012/13

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I could’ve sworn Liverpool finished second in 2008/09? Or am I totally making that up? :confused:

ggtnxbb

Ole has less than 30% winrate since he was permanently appointed and around 75% before that, while Liverpool's results under Dalglish were consistently mediocre.

Reactions: Rood

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Main difference is Liverpool were sold in 2011 to new owners who actually cared about the product on the pitch.
Not so sure about that. Other than one year, their spending hasn't really changed. They just made better transfers. Even the purchase of VVD probably never would have happened if they didn't have the Coutinho money. That year they bought VVD for 75m but still ended up -28m in tansfer fees...

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/liverpool/english-football-teams/liverpool-transfers

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not so sure about that. Other than one year, their spending hasn't really changed. They just made better transfers. Even the purchase of VVD probably never would have happened if they didn't have the Coutinho money. That year they bought VVD for 75m but still ended up -28m in tansfer fees...

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/liverpool/english-football-teams/liverpool-transfers
Wasn't referring so much to transfer spending. FSG are more data driven than the previous owners and they built a proper structure with competent people behind the scenes - something our owners have failed to do.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs fans should know about irrelevant mediocrity.

You’ve lost half of your last 40 matches and yet barely anyone bats an eyelid.
Deflection ain't gonna make it any better for you. As a Spurs fan I can assure you that you will accept and get used to mediocrity eventually, you may as well embrace it.

Last edited:

Number4.

They were, and their recruitment was as bad as ours.
I think they broke a club record buying Andy Carroll

Every time I saw Hodgson managing Livers it brought a smile to my face because I knew he was so shit, which is how I suppose oppo fans now see Ole.
they also bought suarez the same window - they weren't doing everything wrong in terms of recruitment at the time, 18 months later they were challenging for the title.

Bestietom

When Ole first came here I thought same as everyone, that he could be the one that would drive us on. Then he was made permanent and the wheels fell off.
I really don't know how I feel now. I think he did get a raw deal when promised that Herrera and Lukaku would be replaced. But all British players will not win us a Champions League imo.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"Ole isn't Kenny just as Kenny isn't Ole" - Michael Owen

The only parallel I can draw between the two is that They're both shite (Kenny in his 2nd stint compared to Ole in current form).

TRUERED89

There's not many out there young and exciting, Poch and Tuchel maybe. Heck if Ole goes I wouldn't mind Ancelotti.

Crustanoid

Constant comparison to a team who hasn’t won the league for 30 years.

We’re playing badly, they’re not
We’re being run as a club terribly. They’re not.

That’s it

We’re not on identical trajectories or in identical cycles. They will differ. The only thing the same is the constant comparing and obsessive discussion about the other team.

b82REZ

Constant comparison to a team who hasn’t won the league for 30 years.

We’re playing badly, they’re not
We’re being run as a club terribly. They’re not.

That’s it

We’re not on identical trajectories or in identical cycles. They will differ. The only thing the same is the constant comparing and obsessive discussion about the other team.
The similarities between their fall from grace and ours are scarily similar.

I'd say we're at early 90s Liverpool stage. Clinging to past glories while sitting in our echo chambers talking about how we'll do it the "right" way or the "united way".

Our current setup is prehistoric. We have no defined style or direction and keep appointing managers with wildly different philosophies and experience.

Look back at Liverpool from the start of the Premiership until now. We are almost copying their descent to the letter.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
The similarities between their fall from grace and ours are scarily similar.

I'd say we're at early 90s Liverpool stage. Clinging to past glories while sitting in our echo chambers talking about how we'll do it the "right" way or the "united way".

Our current setup is prehistoric. We have no defined style or direction and keep appointing managers with wildly different philosophies and experience.

Look back at Liverpool from the start of the Premiership until now. We are almost copying their descent to the letter.
Yep.

Predicted this: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/united-1990s-liverpool-re-enacted.428685/

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who will be our Brendan? He's one in a lifetime football manager. The Mozart of sealed envelopes.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
Utd are not at the Dalglish stage, much closer to the Hodgson era. I remember them losing at Blackburn (2010ish) 3-1. They had Ngog up front and the likes of Konchesky and Kyrgiakos in defence. A truly awful team that I believe were in the bottom half around Christmas.