Are you optimistic about the new season?

spwd

At this minute in time with the tranfers we have and haven’t done, its got to be a no from me, but obviously if we go on to get some brilliant players in I’ll rethink my answer.

meamth

The changed backroom staff alone made me feel better about next season.

If Mourinho is changing anything, it's next season. Of course I couldn't wait to see that trademark Fred diagonal pass from the right side of the flank, combined with Pogba's playmaking on the left. We could be something else this season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hm, yes – Pogba's playmaking. I suspect the key to becoming consistently – well – good next season is Pogba, and more specifically Pogba's interplay with Sanchez (who I assume will be used as a LW/LFW). What we saw far too often last season was that Pogba and Sanchez operated – unsuccessfully, clumsily – in the same area. That has to change. If it does, and if those two players click/have a great season, we should at the very least see football of a better quality.

Right side is still a problem, of course – the way it looks, we probably have to bring in someone if we want to properly challenge on all fronts (could use a left back too).

sugar_kane

Can’t wait for the new season. Feel like I’ve awoken from some mad dream where I gave a shite about the England team and have suddenly remembered who my true football love is.

Seeing the lads train again is always good but especially with the amount of exciting youth players training with the first team. I hope we see some of them break through this season.

The main reason I’m optimistic though is Carrick and McKenna joining the coaching ranks. If they can bring more positive attacking play into our set up we could be in for an enjoyable season.

Flytan

Yes and no. I think Sanchez after a summer of rest will have an excellent season and we'll look much better than last season because of it. No because I don't think we're capable of mounting a title challenge. Unless something massive changes in the next few weeks or our RW, LB, and RB options are significantly better for random reasons I'd take a 3rd place finish right now if offered. 1

CallyRed

Not really optimistic, to be honest.
Expecting much of the same as last year. Qualify for champs league but not challenge for the title. Football a bit meh.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, always optimistic about new season and also we have few things to look forward to.

Pogba - after such a world cup, he will be flying. His confidence should be sky high
Fred - haven't watched him play but read he is very good and high work rate player (which is true as per CL stats in distance covered).
Sanchez - first time in many years he got proper rest and he will be fully charged. Also no more excuses of adapting as he already had half a season with the team.
Lukaku - he has improved a lot and one more player who had very good world cup.

Apart from these even more excited to see players like Dalot and what he can bring to the team.

the chameleon

Certain things like the manager aren't ideal. Fellaini signing a new deal annoyed me. But you have to look past all these things and look to positives as listed by Roonster09. I would also add the following:
  • I'm excited about how Martial responds to missing out on a World Cup medal.
  • If Pereira will take his chance in pre-season.
  • Who will break through from the academy?
  • How will we solve the right wong problem?
  • Will this be the season that Shaw finally proved us doubters wrong?
  • Or will it all just fall apart by November and due to Mourinho's meltdowns.
Looks like an interesting season ahead. More curiosity than optimism.

HarlanEiffler

I am not as doom-and-gloom as some of the more panicking posters on here. I think that one of the most important things (and it's been mentioned in this thread before, so apologies for repetition) is the bedding-in of Sanchez with a full pre-season. Furthermore, it will be important how quickly and how profound the CM gels. Pogba can be great, but it will be interesting to see if he can adapt to his role at Manchester United, versus his role in the French team. I don't think we need that many transfers, as I am not a fan of yearly squad overhauls. A CB leader would be great to guide the younger Bailly and Lindelöf. A RW if a decent option is available.

The rest is down to the team playing to its strengths. Use Lukaku the right way, find each other in Midfield. If Mourinho achieves that, I think United will have a good season (title push and knock-out stages of CL).

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
After Jose already complaining about the season start date, I can see he already has excuses for a poor season start. If your players are tittle hungry, they will come motivated.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Have we signed any one bar Fred?no.
Then NO.

And Dalot !
You do know players can improve too right?

Another year working with Jose who has also had some new additions to the backroom staff which should help to mix things up a bit.

So much pessimism on here it's ridiculous.

We will sign another player or two before the window closes anyway, but jeez.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
With every day that passes, with no new incoming transfers, I get less optimistic.
I am hoping that we get 2 first team players.
My understanding is that Fred will be a squad player.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Are you seriously expecting a 19 year old who has about 6 first team games for Porto under his belt, to improve to such a level, that he will be better than Valencia? You really believe this?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Are you seriously expecting a 19 year old who has about 6 first team games for Porto under his belt, to improve to such a level, that he will be better than Valencia? You really believe this?
That's about as realistic es expecting Fred to be a squad player. The manager said multiple times there is a problem in midfield, spends 50m on a midfielder and you think he'll be a squad player.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Feel like next season is a countdown to Mourinho being sacked before some other poor sod has to try to make a team out of various veterans, misfits and mercenaries.
That's how I see it as well.
We are going to rely on a 33 yr old for LB/LWB duty.
We have another 30 yr old as RB/RWB.
We have Jones and Smalling - I don't need to elaborate.
We have Pogba who seems to blow hot and cold.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's about as realistic es expecting Fred to be a squad player. The manager said multiple times there is a problem in midfield, spends 50m on a midfielder and you think he'll be a squad player.
I have not seen Fred play, but I did read this in the Fred thread, which has definitely influenced my opinion.
I have not written him off, by any means, but I have reset my expectations.
If he comes good, then fantastic. But if he turns out to be a squad player, then I won't be disappointed.

It is going to be really interesting to see how Fred does this year. He has potential for sure.

But people need to lower their expectations, for Freds own sake if nothing else. I have written some scouting reports on Fred earlier this year since I actually see him play quite regularly here in the Ukraine. He is not going to come in and boss Uniteds midfield, sorry but thats just naive. If he over the season starts to compete with Herrera and Fellaini for real I would deem it a success.

Fred is arriving from a league that nowadays is on the level of the minnow leagues in Europe. The Ukrainian league is not even on the level of a league like for example the Dutch Eredivisie. He and Shaktar plays 6 "real"games per year: all against Dynamo Kyiv who is not what they once were. Not even close. The conflict here has drained the Ukrainian football of all money except for Shaktars oligarch-sponsored team.

The premier league here even changed the system so that we would have 4 games in the league between Shaktar and Dynamo per season instead of two. Add to that the cupfinal and supercup we get 6 "real" games per year domestically.

Add to that that the Dynamo of today are a shadow of what "we" once were; its practically the Ukrainian U21-team. Had to get rid of all the "expensive" imports if they even were that. Funny enough Dynamo edges Shaktar in their head-to-heads this season. What that says about Shaktars quality I dont know but that game will always be a war whichever players wear respective shirt so I guess maybe not so much....

Add to those six games Shaktars ventures into Europe you have the games from which its possible to judge Fred on. He has performed good in Europe without standing out. But playing in Europe is something different than playing in the Premier League. He isnt used to play more than 10-15 "real" games per season and the tempo and grind of the PL will be a challenge and hopefully not a shock.

And he doesnt speak English at all btw. He is a hard worker though and seems to have is head screwed on straight compared to other Brazilians that play and have played for Shaktar over the years.

Its a real step up for him and I just hope that everyone gives him a season at least to adapt. I think Mourinho will and that he will be used sparingly to begin with as should he be. I get a bit worried when I read some of the posts here though.
I also noticed that you avoided my question about a 19 year old with 6 first team starts, expected to take over as RB. That was cunning.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'm always usually pretty optimistic ahead of a new season but this one feels a little weird, I think most are in that same boat. I think our squad is underrated and Mourinho has held them back to an extent, but it's up to the players to step up a bit more. We definitely needed to replace our fullbacks, that doesn't look like happening and we needed more in attack, on our right side obviously.

If the squad on paper can actually turn up to play the games I think we'll be ok but football is never that simple. I'm praying there isn't any transfer drama with Pogba and we can hopefully add a player or two.

AndyJ1985

I have not seen Fred play, but I did read this in the Fred thread, which has definitely influenced my opinion.
If what he says is true then we should be worried, because all we've done is sign two more squad players in an already bloated squad, when what we actually need are first team players who can immediately make a difference.

minoo-utd

Another year working with Jose who has also had some new additions to the backroom staff which should help to mix things up a bit.

So much pessimism on here it's ridiculous.

We will sign another player or two before the window closes anyway, but jeez.
Oh yes the same old story then. Waiting for the likes of Rashford, Lingard, Lindelof, Martial to improve, good luck with that.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I have not written him off, by any means, but I have reset my expectations.
If he comes good, then fantastic. But if he turns out to be a squad player, then I won't be disappointed.

I also noticed that you avoided my question about a 19 year old with 6 first team starts, expected to take over as RB. That was cunning.
I didn't ignore it I specifically said how ridiculous it is. Expecting Dalot to be a mianstay in our starting 11 is as ridiculous as expecting Fred to be a squad player.

Fred will start in our midfield, and Ukranian league watchers being comprehensive about him because he's from a weak european league won't change that. Willian and Fernandinho both played at Shaktar and became mainstays in title winning teams. Both played major roles in their first season. Fernandinho even came directly from Shaktar and Willian was bought by the manager we have now.

Shaktar's scouting of Brazilian players is very good, and both City and United know this. Hence why both were after him.

mark_a

I'm a born optimist, but that battles with being a bit of a realist as well!

I do have a feeling that I'm not sure we'll improve enough next season to challenge for 1st and a worry that there will be tougher competition for 2nd. I mean realistically, we (mostly) have good enough players, but some individuals have not performed at a high enough level often enough.

What's going to change that next season? That's my thinking. Will things "click" into place?

Players stepping up and claiming a place in the team is what we want, but that hasn't happened enough. We're carrying a lot of players who sit in the squad but aren't guaranteed first team picks you'd trust

Last edited:

Baxter

If there isn’t at least 2 or 3 more in, then no. Going into the season with virtually the same squad and expecting a big improvement is mental.

Mourinho has already got some complaints in, and complaining about having to play a weakened team at the start of the season doesn’t exactly bode well for a quick start. Wouldn’t be surprised to see United outside the top 4.

laughtersassassin

Unless we make some serious signings there is honestly no hope of a good season barring McKenna making a magical difference to how we play.

In which case if we sign no one and inevitably have a bad season I am seriously concerned about our long term future. Another bad season and I can't see any reason why Pogba and De Gea wouldn't be out the door. Currently, they are a level ahead of us. Need to focus on keeping these qualit players and adding to them. We have become okay with mediocrity in recent year and it has got to change.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Excited to see how the new coaching staff works, maybe we'll be better going forward.
I do think we need 2 more signings, an rw and a defender - yes, i am an optimistic cnut that thinks that Shaw finally will get his shit together, and stay fit.

dove

Reading the comments you would think we are destined for a relegation battle :lol: How can our fanbase be so generally depressed and pessimistic is beyond me. We signed 2 players, we will definitely add at least a couple more, an exciting coach joined our coaching staff. But instead of being optimistic we worry about Sarri, Liverpool and some even worried about Spurs finishing above us :lol:

laughtersassassin

I'm a born optimist, but that battles with being a bit of a realist as well!

I do have a feeling that I'm not sure we'll improve enough next season to challenge for 1st and a worry that there will be tougher competition for 2nd. I mean realistically, we (mostly) have good enough players, but some individuals have not performed at a high enough level often enough.

What's going to change that next season? That's my thinking. Will things "click" into place?

Players stepping up and claiming a place in the team is what we want, but that hasn't happened enough. We're carrying a lot of players who sit in the squad but aren't guaranteed first team picks you'd trust
But we have 3 positions where we have no players that are good enough to be a top team. Left back Right wing and our Lack of centre back pairing are all up there with the worst in the top 6. Even Valencia is gone at right back but maybe Dalot can secure a place after a few months if he performs well.

Winrar

Guardiola has his team in full throttle so I expect them to win the league again. However we should be giving them more of a challenge than we did last season, especially with players like Lukaku, Sanchez, and Pogba.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
But we have 3 positions where we have no players that are good enough to be a top team. Left back Right wing and our Lack of centre back pairing are all up there with the worst in the top 6. Even Valencia is gone at right back but maybe Dalot can secure a place after a few months if he performs well.
You must have forgotten that Arsenal exist. Also Lovren, and Karius. Also Christensen and Cahill. Also the average players Chelsea bought last season that saw them plummet to 5th place (Bakoyoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, Morata).

We had the 2nd best squad last season, and so long as we get in 2 more good signings we'll still have the 2nd best squad in the league with a fighter's chance of overcoming City.

laughtersassassin

Reading the comments you would think we are destined for a relegation battle :lol: How can our fanbase be so generally depressed and pessimistic is beyond me. We signed 2 players, we will definitely add at least a couple more, an exciting coach joined our coaching staff. But instead of being optimistic we worry about Sarri, Liverpool and some even worried about Spurs finishing above us :lol:
You must have forgotten that Arsenal exist. Also Lovren, and Karius. Also Christensen and Cahill. Also the average players Chelsea bought last season that saw them plummet to 5th place (Bakoyoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, Morata).

We had the 2nd best squad last season, and so long as we get in 2 more good signings we'll still have the 2nd best squad in the league with a fighter's chance of overcoming City.
Yes 2 more signings and we sort 2 of our 3 big problems then we will be talking.

Also in regard to Liverpool with Van Dijk having Lovern isnt the worst anymore as atleast they have a pairing our problem is we dont even have a pairing and still play Smalling and Jones who should never kick a ball for United again.

Chelsea will no doubt outspend us and there squad really underachieved so would be foolish to count them out. Im being realistic. As it stands with Fred and Dalot who is 19 we have no chance of competing with City. Now that could change in the coming weeks. We will see.

Bare in mind City whole bench almost would start for every other team in the league. That is how far they are ahead of the pack.

dove

Yes 2 more signings and we sort 2 of our 3 big problems then we will be talking.

Also in regard to Liverpool with Van Dijk having Lovern isnt the worst anymore as atleast they have a pairing our problem is we dont even have a pairing and still play Smalling and Jones who should never kick a ball for United again.

Chelsea will no doubt outspend us and there squad really underachieved so would be foolish to count them out. Im being realistic. As it stands with Fred and Dalot who is 19 we have no chance of competing with City. Now that could change in the coming weeks. We will see.

Bare in mind City whole bench almost would start for every other team in the league. That is how far they are ahead of the pack.
If we add 2 more quality players in the positions we need I am confident we can win 90 points. Whether it would be enough to win the league or not depends on the other teams, especially City.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Lovren is absolutely not good, he always does this for Liverpool where he looks competent for a stretch of game then loses his brain. He will literally throw a game away (ie Spurs). The same can be said for Karius who not only makes mistakes regularly due to deficiencies in his game but also has game costing moments (there are multiple examples in the last season where he did not make the correct play which cost a goal).

Chelsea have not outspent us since the SAF days. We are the second biggest spenders. The only one that will outspend us are City.

The only ones stopping us from winning the league are ourselves and City. If we do not get 2-3 players in key positions then we will not, and even if we do City will still get 90+ points which means it will be a very tough challenge in the league.

Cee90

Where did I suggest that?

I simply stated a fact that players can improve. I'm talking about our existing squad of players which contains many talented individuals. Not once did I mention or refer to Dalot.

What exactly are you on about?

Last edited:

Cee90

Oh yes the same old story then. Waiting for the likes of Rashford, Lingard, Lindelof, Martial to improve, good luck with that.
Are you serious?

Lingard has improved immensely over the past year or so, whereas the likes of Rashford and Martial have plenty of potential, Lindelof not so much, but it's still early days.

You are utterly deluded if you think we're going to sign 11 new players who will come into the side and win us things.

My point is, we have a good squad of players who have the potential to improve. Do you not think so?

There will be a few more signings in addition to Fred and Dalot, so stop getting your knickers in a twist that we've only signed 2 players so far.

Tibs

If we see players being utilised in their best positions, and play with even 10% more attacking intent, then I believe we can at least win the league/close second - and a domestic cup.

No chance in the CL, semi's at the most if we get an England'esque walk in the park prior. Can't see us beating Juve, Madrid, Barca, PSG or Bayern.

minoo-utd

Are you serious?

Lingard has improved immensely over the past year or so, whereas the likes of Rashford and Martial have plenty of potential, Lindelof not so much, but it's still early days.

You are utterly deluded if you think we're going to sign 11 new players who will come into the side and win us things.

My point is, we have a good squad of players who have the potential to improve. Do you not think so?

There will be a few more signings in addition to Fred and Dalot, so stop getting your knickers in a twist that we've only signed 2 players so far.
Surely not 11, not even 6 or 7. But we need reinforcement in specific areas 3 or maybe 4, no? Simple question you want to win the P.L and or the C.L with Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Young, Shaw, Darmian and Jones? Wonder who is deluded here! At least sell some and get two full backs and a winger ffs.

Noc-Z

ffs
I've not got any optimism.

De Gea is a solid keeper, so no problem there.

Defence: where to start? Young and Valencia are not full-backs they're wingers filling in and neither are really good enough. I have no idea who our first choice CB pairing is and I'm not sure Jose does either. It should probably be Lindelof and Bailly - he signed both didn't he? But we seem to be linked with another CB. We do have about 5/6 in the first team but Jose can't have confidence in them if he really is looking at Alderweireld for example.

Midfield: no idea how Fred will fit in or adapt to the league. Matic is too slow for this generation of football. Herrerra and Fellaini aren't good enough. I'm not even sure Fellaini is a midfielder tbh. McTominay isn't good enough to be a first choice starter yet (and who knows if he'll ever be). Pogba doesn't seem happy under Mourinho (who would be he's miserable) and honestly, I don't think he's good enough. People seem to be raving about his World Cup performance, but as entertaining as the WC is, the standard isn't really that good. So France beat Croatia in the final? And it's supposed to be the biggest prize in football? Where do you think Croatia would finish in the premier League? Mid table?

Attack: I like Lukaku. He's one post-Ferguson signing that looks like he belongs here. I'm quite happy with him. He's probably not World Class, has too many weaknesses for that, but you wouldn't replace him at this time would you? Sanchez looks a massive mistake, I don't see him turning things around at all. We still don't have a RW. Martial is understandably unhappy. May leave. In any case - he's a striker not a winger. Rashford I also see as a striker so at best he should be back-up to Lukaku, that's all.

Really, looking at the entire team in between De Gea and Lukaku, is there any player that you absolutely would not replace, given the chance?

There's so much needs to change it's hard to be optimistic.

Is Mourinho even happy here? Does he have a hunger to succeed? I think he's too jaded now personally.