Are you optimistic about the new season?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Yes, but I'm accepting the fact the Man City will be better with Mahrez so we will really be fighting for top 4 again. I think we would have been much better off with letting City have Sanchez, and we had bought Mahrez. Our front office has lost the big picture.

SpyLuke10

If we sign Alex Sandro, and 1 or 2 or both of a good centre back or right winger then I will be very optimistic. But right now with just Fred the only signing who might slot straight into our starting XI, I'm not too optimistic yet.

SpyLuke10

Yes, but I'm accepting the fact the Man City will be better with Mahrez so we will really be fighting for top 4 again. I think we would have been much better off with letting City have Sanchez, and we had bought Mahrez. Our front office has lost the big picture.
This myth that we'll be fighting for 4th must stop. We came 2nd last season. We will sign more players.

Sanche7

Remind me, which other top 6 team have improved massively for us to be fighting for top 4?
Liverpool maybe, Chelsea are in tatters, Arsenal have signed an average GK, two meh defenders and a young CM
Have Spurs signed anyone?

Lukaku and Pogba have been very good this WC and if they can carry on that form, it could help us massively. Also I expect Sanchez to improve and Fred to help our midfield.
Dalot will slowly become first choice and his crossing will really help Lukaku.
Also I expect us to sigh a CB & LB.
But yeah, let's go into meltdown

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Ah, the criticism of the club and our chief executive begins. No doubt fuelled by reports of Ronaldo signing for Juventus. Shambolic indeed...

Oh, but we just need a CB, LB, CM, RW and then we'll be good to go.

Honestly, just feck off and take up tiddlywinks. I don't know why some you lot get so caught up with who we sign even though it's unbearably apparent that it isn't a case of just buying these players and all ends hunky dory.

How the club can be getting stick for its transfer business so far is beyond me.
Agree with you. Also, the club may choose not to give Jose full backing in the transfer market if they don't think he's doing well enough with what he already has. Rightly or wrongly. It doesn't always have to boil down to Ed Woodward's incompetence or the Glazers' stinginess.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If we start using our players properly I’ll be very excited. Let’s start with putting Sanchez on the right and Martial on the left. A front six of Matic, Fred, Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and Lukaku is fantastic. Add Lingard and Rashford to fight for first team places, and we look terrific IMO.

But we’ll probably persist with Sanchez on the left, and have to stomach Mata running through Molasses on the right, or Lingard played out of position. Like some other posters, I’m hoping for a more fluid attacking approach brought by McKenna.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Will wait to see how the squad looks once the transfer window has closed before deciding how optimistic I am.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Remind me, which other top 6 team have improved massively for us to be fighting for top 4?
Liverpool maybe, Chelsea are in tatters, Arsenal have signed an average GK, two meh defenders and a young CM
Have Spurs signed anyone?

Lukaku and Pogba have been very good this WC and if they can carry on that form, it could help us massively. Also I expect Sanchez to improve and Fred to help our midfield.
Dalot will slowly become first choice and his crossing will really help Lukaku.
Also I expect us to sigh a CB & LB.
But yeah, let's go into meltdown
No doubt the top four teams going into the season are City, United, Liverpool and Spurs. Do you really think we easily take 2nd among those four? If yes, that's just fantasy. And if we are 4th with 2 months to go, 5th will probably be a couple of bad losses away. Unless we sign another 2 very good players, there is no way we can say top 4 is locked up.

RedDevil@84

Yes, pretty optimistic to finish 2nd behind City with a gap of 10 pts.

As excited as always getting into a new season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not. with this current team we have no chances.
What makes you say that?

After a season in which our players were widely considered to have performed below expectations - both individually and as a collective - they still managed to pull off a second place finish in the league and enjoy an FA cup final in the process (albeit one we lost!). There is more to come from this group of players, a lot more. The addition of Fred - a highly rated prospect and potential foil for Pogba - plus the inevitable inclusion of a right winger that Jose has been searching for since his arrival, plus a top class defender may just bring it all together.

Many in this thread seem to lack faith (hardly surprising given the shite they have had to endure post-SAF) but I think there are many positives that you're not able to see. The way our players have performed for their national teams is a huge plus, the idea of them bringing that form home and transferring it to the domestic game is really exciting. I think United are going to surprise a lot of people next season.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Funny one this. I am a massive Mourinho fan and would certainly back him, but equally, this is the least excited I have been for a United season. I think we'll do okay, top 3 in the Premier League and probably QF/SF of the Champions League. So I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic, I'm just honestly not excited.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact I'm invested in England's World Cup campaign so haven't been thinking about club football for a while.

Le Red

I come here after a while to take a look "hey let's see how MU's doing."
First thing I find out is that City's signed Mahrez.
Second is we extended with Fellaini.
But then I go to the transfers section like "well we must be linked with somebody good right?"
Wrong.
No I'm not optimistic, and I fail to see how anyone could be.
If you guys are happy about being a joke in Europe and being City's bitches as long as we finish 2nd in the PL, then you might as well support Arsenal.
Our club is mediocre right now. Our manager, once great, is outdated and more stubborn than he ever was.
Our board is unable to see that running a football club is not the same as any other business.
Our ship has taken the wrong turn since captain SAF left, and most of the crew insists we must keep going forward in the current direction.

Momochiru

Pretty optimistic, can't wait for pre-season to start. We have a very strong squad, just need couple small adjustments. I think Fred will be very good for us. Expect another young player to emerge this season. Also I think city won't replicate last season, so it will be much tighter at the top.

Drz

And me. Really hope they persuade Mourinho to be a bit more adventurous
I hope the appointments mean he has realised that he needs to be. Mourinho has been in the game a long long time despite his relatively young age, he needs to reinvent himself. To average joe, football always evolves every 5 or so years. A manager that has been in the game longer than that, and having won more in the past than recently, has to come to the inevitable conclusion that he needs to press the "refresh" button at some point.

Watching our players grow and be more influential outside the club has to have the same effect too.
Barring Rojo and De Gea (with mitigating circumstances) I'm quite happy with the performances our boys at this world cup.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
After tonight, the new season can’t come soon enough. I just want that next (meaningful) match.

R'hllor

Not really, we might win it this season or next but real lack of vision having way to big of an impact for some weird reason.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Depends. If Sanchez allows us to play the football we did in the first half of last season, then of course I am. If Sanchez continues to shaft us and make us play the football we did in the second half of the season, then no I am not.

marktan

No. Need a RW and a LB minimum.

Our biggest problem by far has been our lack of quality in the wide forwards. Starting the season with the same shite in Mata, Lingard, Rashford, Sanchez etc means our title challenge will be over before it starts.

M4nu4Life

I still don't feel we have solved our midfield problems from last year.

Our full backs are getting older, and we need one good Left Back or for Shaw to get fit.

Rashford, Martial and Sanchez all like to play on the left side of the attack, if we can swap one of these players for someone who plays on the right.

Short answer no.

Rednotdead

I want to be optimistic but at present I see no justification. That could change though, depending on who we sign - if anyone.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yeah i'm pretty optimistic. Not pinning everything on Fred but by all accounts, he is a player that can move the ball quickly between the lines and will help with the overall temp on the counter attack. TFM returning after a GOOD season for Palace will be an addition to the squad for the better. Sanchez has had his first summer off in probably 20 years (joke) so he should be pretty fresh and some new methods on the training pitch from a coach who apparently plays attacking pressing football. Not sure we can topple City but some of our key players had a great W/C and hopefully they can continue that form into the season (Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard) and you never know, Sterling and Walker had an inconsistent W/C so may end up starting the season with a bit of a hangover. Always optimistic for new season

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There is nothing to be optimistic about tbh. Fred alone, cannot do that for me, just not good enough to make me salivate for this upcoming season if we keep the same general squad, with the same aging/unperforming players.

Toddler

Not really to be honest (at this point). We haven't strengthened enough to be much better. We have still the same starting fullbacks, which is very sad. I hope that will be addressed. We would still need a left winger with goals and assists in him. This is not gonna happen I reckon. A leading CB would be also vital. I trust only Bailly to be good enough.

We will see but at this point i'm expecting Liverpool and Tottenham to be somewhat on par with us and city winning it again.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah i'm pretty optimistic. Not pinning everything on Fred but by all accounts, he is a player that can move the ball quickly between the lines and will help with the overall temp on the counter attack. TFM returning after a GOOD season for Palace will be an addition to the squad for the better. Sanchez has had his first summer off in probably 20 years (joke) so he should be pretty fresh and some new methods on the training pitch from a coach who apparently plays attacking pressing football. Not sure we can topple City but some of our key players had a great W/C and hopefully they can continue that form into the season (Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard) and you never know, Sterling and Walker had an inconsistent W/C so may end up starting the season with a bit of a hangover. Always optimistic for new season
Fred might move the ball quicker, as long as it doesn't go to Valencia or Mata. Those positions need strengthening as well. Jose needs to tell Sanchez to play right and let Martial play left.

Jacko21

The fact that watching England has been a welcome relief is probably indicative of where United have been at and just how much hope England have restored.

The World Cup and England made me enjoy football again. Last season was a slog. I'm not quite back into club mode yet.

I'm not prepared for another City cakewalk, nor I am prepared to lose hour after hour watching United players half-arseing it. I want to enjoy watching United, so I just hope Mourinho finds the right formula early on, because our start will make or break our season.

For the last five consecutive years, I have wanted the season to end prematurely. Please don't make it a sixth.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
In one word: No. In a few more, it depends if we sign a couple of world-class players: an FB and a winger are vital. A CB would be nice

Heinzesight

Up until this pre-season I’d normally be excited about watching the tour, buzzing about watching a friendly at 2am (BST) or something but I’ll just wait until our first PL game.

JoaquinJoaquin

Up until this pre-season I’d normally be excited about watching the tour, buzzing about watching a friendly at 2am (BST) or something but I’ll just wait until our first PL game.
Yeah the tour isn't exciting me this year, where in previous years it would. Not sure whether that is down to a good portion of our players not being there, or lack of additions etc.

Will watch on catch up delay, But won't be staying up late for any.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Allegedly there's a FIFA mandate that clubs need to give players 21 days off after major tournament finishes? Only read it somewhere but that's going to make it very interesting start to season for all the top clubs with them all having players still involved in the WC. Can see them all including Man. City dropping points in first 4 games as they will all have disrupted 11s.

DRM

Nope, not at all. It will be the same old shite we've been seeing the past few years (actually ever since Fergie retired).

iKeano

Not excited at all unfortunately. Not even excited about any signings thanks to José's tactics.

Any semblence of excitement will be drained from the fans the minute we go 3 at the back (read 5 at the back the wing backs play so deep, read 7 at the back the holding mid-fielders sit so deep) at home to Leicester.
Couple that with José alienating the OT crowd, throwing players under the bus while having his inexplicable favourites, trolling us with Fellaini at every turn, grimacing from August to May at every press conference like he's managing the greatest club in the world under duress.

MUFC OK

Not excited at all unfortunately. Not even excited about any signings thanks to José's tactics.

Any semblence of excitement will be drained from the fans the minute we go 3 at the back (read 5 at the back the wing backs play so deep, read 7 at the back the holding mid-fielders sit so deep) at home to Leicester.
Couple that with José alienating the OT crowd, throwing players under the bus while having his inexplicable favourites, trolling us with Fellaini at every turn, grimacing from August to May at every press conference like he's managing the greatest club in the world under duress.
I'm 'Mourinho in' but everything you've said there is spot on. Our fan base is ready for an absolute meltdown when it becomes apparent that we wont be challenging for the title in October.

BigBebe

I might have added 'playing McTominay whilst leaving Pogba and Fred on the bench' but otherwise, that pretty much sums it up.

Canagel

No. I've never been less excited before a new season than this one. We still haven't addressed the fullback situation. Dalot is one for the future and I don't expect him to settle straight away. Smalling and Jones are still here. Valencia and Young will be one year older, more slower. No right winger. No right wing at all actually. Our wing options are terrible. Mata, Lingard, Rashford, Sanchez are not good enough to play as wingers. Fred is a good player but we still needed another midfielder and sold Fellaini or Herrera to make up that space. One injury to Pogba and suddenly we look average again in midfield. I was much more excited heading into last season but this time around I don't really feel anything.