Are you optimistic about the new season?

SAFMUTD

I don’t really care that much for titles anymore, I just want to enjoy watching my team again. Is it too much to ask to play some atractive football? It’s been 6 years of absolute boring and depressing football.

I can’t see how someone support Manchester United if they started seeing football recently, honestly I don’t care if we end up in 4th place as long as we play attractive football.

Mourinho has sucked up all the joy, and it’s not about goals. It’s about the aggresive winning mentality, about wanting to win by as much goals possible, right now I expect that if we are 1-0 up we will park the bus, its just depressing.

So, no, I’m not optmistic about the new season. We might end up winning some title, but with Mourinho in charge I just don't see how we can get back to being a team enjoyable to watch.

lysglimt

Scout
I am convinced that after this season - either Mourinho has left because of several key-players not performing, or several key-players have left because of Mourinho

Bestietom

I am convinced that after this season - either Mourinho has left because of several key-players not performing, or several key-players have left because of Mourinho
Think it could be Mourinho before the players.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
We have Pogba, Sanchez, Messi Lingard, Lukaku, Fred, Matic, De Gea, a hopefully found himself again Lindelof, crazy Bailey, breakthrough season coming Pereira, United bulwark Smalling, 2nd most valuable young player Rashford, Martial who will finally come good again, still what I consider the best backup goalie in the league... And much more, We will be fine. Imho if we indeed don't bring in anyone else in this would be THE time to show Mou can coach a team, not a collection of individuals and mercenaries.

Don't forget our team wasn't exactly a pinnacle of sparkling youth and world class power when we won the league after RvP came in.

reddaz71

We all like to moan and groan about how the club is being run,about how the Glazers are only in it for themselves and the football is boring etec etc etc,well why dont ALL the match going fans do something about it all and boycott some of the games,that is the only way the Glazers will ever listen!!!!

RedNed77

I don’t really care that much for titles anymore, I just want to enjoy watching my team again. Is it too much to ask to play some atractive football? It’s been 6 years of absolute boring and depressing football.

I can’t see how someone support Manchester United if they started seeing football recently, honestly I don’t care if we end up in 4th place as long as we play attractive football.

Mourinho has sucked up all the joy, and it’s not about goals. It’s about the aggresive winning mentality, about wanting to win by as much goals possible, right now I expect that if we are 1-0 up we will park the bus, its just depressing.

So, no, I’m not optmistic about the new season. We might end up winning some title, but with Mourinho in charge I just don't see how we can get back to being a team enjoyable to watch.
Pretty much agree with you. I'd sacrifice the enjoyable football if we were looking like we could win Major trophies, but not for the 2nd place trophy, the net spend one or the League Cup/Europa League. I'd rather be an entertaining also ran than a tumescent one.

As much as I'm not particularly looking forward to the new season, I've still been snapping up tickets for the games though. Watching it live will be less soul destroying than following the match day forums which I seem to get sucked into when I'm not at the game, even when I promise myself I wont look at it.

Inter Yer Nan

Lack of signings obviously has hurt my enthusiasm especially when you see Liverpool have addressed their problems and City aren't likely to fall too far. I do believe Lukaku, Sanchez and Pogba will have strong seasons and then there's the hope there's another Lingard this season, maybe (hopefully) Shaw? I'd hope we can get a better defender in too since it's clear we've been in for that because I do have concerns maybe Lindelof needs more seasoning and Bailly is injured so often. I think we need a lot of stars to align to be competitive but we have to get closer to the title this year and maintain our top 2 status in addition to a further European run because anything less is unacceptable and no amount of excuses will make it better. I'm concerned with the lack of genuine quality/consistency at LB, RW, RB positions and much prefer an upgrade at CB.

Obviously the biggest concern is that the football doesn't really improve, we finish 3rd (or lower), win nothing again and obviously Pogba will angle for a move at that point regardless of who the manager is.

So I enter the season with less enthusiasm this season then any since 2013 because in 2014 I was happy with the summer signings and no more Moyes, 2015 I didn't think there were truly outstanding sides and saw we'd progressed, 2016 I was very happy with Jose's appointment and the new signings and 2017 I was happy with the signings and actually felt we'd win the league.

What I do think though is that we will either come 2nd and get to the last 8 of the CL or come 3rd and maybe get a round further in CL and possibly win a domestic cup. I base this on my gut and I think the press are just creating stories and trying to paint a bleaker picture than is the case and Jose is just lowering expectations so the lads don't feel as much pressure as previous. My guess is that it's actually a fairly happy camp and Jose thinks he's got the talent to do well and he will be hell bent on destroying the 3rd season syndrome the critics love to talk about. Now 2/3rd in the league and a CL SF and domestic up sounds like a good season but IMO it's really not given that it's Manchester United, the most successful English club and Mourinho, a proven winner and the talent in the squad/invest of previous years. It's been 5 years since we last won a league title and 10 years since a champions league. Would I sack Jose based on that season? NO. But I'd demand proper investment next summer (filling in the missing pieces) and then demand it's win or bust next season.

SAFMUTD

Pretty much agree with you. I'd sacrifice the enjoyable football if we were looking like we could win Major trophies, but not for the 2nd place trophy, the net spend one or the League Cup/Europa League. I'd rather be an entertaining also ran than a tumescent one.

As much as I'm not particularly looking forward to the new season, I've still been snapping up tickets for the games though. Watching it live will be less soul destroying than following the match day forums which I seem to get sucked into when I'm not at the game, even when I promise myself I wont look at it.

We are not even close to compete for major trophies, if we we´re like atletico that play boring football but have got to the later stages of UCL we could discuss if playing boring football is worth it, but right now we aren´t, let alone winning, but compiting for major titles.

I don´t think much of the United fan base was made because of the titles but of the way we used to play. I know the main objetive for teams is to win at all cost, but for great teams the goal is to win while playing attractive football. Remember Capello at Real Madrid, he had boring football and eventhough the results were good he was sacked, simply because in a top team like Madrid you are not allowed to play that way. We claim to be the biggest team in England and one of the world top teams, so we better start acting like it.

RedNed77

We are not even close to compete for major trophies, if we we´re like atletico that play boring football but have got to the later stages of UCL we could discuss if playing boring football is worth it, but right now we aren´t, let alone winning, but compiting for major titles.

I don´t think much of the United fan base was made because of the titles but of the way we used to play. I know the main objetive for teams is to win at all cost, but for great teams the goal is to win while playing attractive football. Remember Capello at Real Madrid, he had boring football and eventhough the results were good he was sacked, simply because in a top team like Madrid you are not allowed to play that way. We claim to be the biggest team in England and one of the world top teams, so we better start acting like it.
Seems like a lack of ambition in some respects. We smashed the world transfer record with Pogba when we signed him. I think a lot of us, myself included, thought we’d start flexing our muscles like the other financial royalty in Europe, build some momentum and fill some of the other glaring holes in our squad with some galactico players. Sadly it never materialised and any kudos we built up from the Pogba signing fizzled out. We’re now back to being unappealing due to Jose’s shitball and Woodys parsimony. It’ll be a long season bud.

El Presidente

I’ve already made peace with myself. We won’t be challenging without wingers and fullbacks. All the CBs in the world won’t change this. We will still finish top 4, mind you.

What hurts, though, is that we’ll have to witness City and Liverpool out of all clubs to battle it out (although I don’t think there will be much of a fight). It’s like that nightmare from the Moyes season where you had to cheer for City.

champp1nho

Not really optimistic, I think Utd will win some top6 games and perform succesfully overall vs other top teams, because parking the bus and playing just flavourless football, but in the long run the teams level to perform fluctuates too much. Same boring football week in week out as the last 3 yrs or so. Hope Jose and the team proves me wrong and this year's gonna make caf a bit more happy.

Right now, no, I'm not optimistic. The mood around club seems downbeat and this summer's transfer activity has been very disappointing, with only one day of the window left. We have some terrific players, but we need to perform far better, if we're to challenge this season. I remain concerned about the defense, particularly the full backs, and the fact we haven't sorted the right wing issue.

Let's see if we can get a couple of key signings tomorrow and play a more expansive game this season. I fear a title race between City and Liverpool, with us scrapping for top four. Let's see how we go.

Shark

@NotShark
The writing was on the wall. This season was destined to be a complete and utter disaster.

JonDahl

“It’s only pre-season”
“It’s only a friendly”
“We’ll be better when we’ve got all our players back”
“We’ll be better once the season starts”
“It’s the glazers fault for not spending any money”
“We don’t have a DoF”

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pre season means nothing, what are you all complaining about? Sanchez is back to his best because he scored a goal against Milan in pre-season. We finished 2nd. As if Chelsea and Liverpool are better than us, you're having a laugh. All is rosy, Pogba is world class and Lukaku is one of the best strikers in the world. Mourinho is still one of the best managers around because he won the champions league 8 years ago with Inter.

Ya fecking right. Piss off.

Snafu17

I mean, Fellaini could personally throw the match that lights OT on fire in the next few minutes, but the preseason games would still mean feck all. Even if we are genuinely shit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I didn't think I was optimistic at all, now I think I was overly optimistic.

DRM

League gone
Top 4 I doubt it
Top 6 possibly
Top 10 YESSSSSSS IM REALLY CONFIDENT

el3mel

Season is done and dusted. We're going to finish 6th or 7th.

Mourinho is a dead man walking and he needs to go. However, he should take Ed, Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez with him. They're all part of the problem. Feck all of them.

Time to have a fresh start from next season. We should play the reserves in Europe League next season though.

Won't be interested even a bit in watching any game this season. Another Moyes season.

JonDahl

Pre season means nothing, what are you all complaining about? Sanchez is back to his best because he scored a goal against Milan in pre-season. We finished 2nd. As if Chelsea and Liverpool are better than us, you're having a laugh. All is rosy, Pogba is world class and Lukaku is one of the best strikers in the world. Mourinho is still one of the best managers around because he won the champions league 8 years ago with Inter.

Ya fecking right. Piss off.
Anyone who disagrees is a troll and should go and support someone else!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fivethirtyeight are modelling us to finish a (comfortable) sixth, with fewer points than under Moyes, and more likely to be relegated than win the league. That’s how average our performances have been for too long.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I was laughed at for suggesting we might not be back in the top 4 all season after the first weekend. 6th could be a struggle with other teams looking better than us.

Kapardin

Fivethirtyeight are modelling us to finish a (comfortable) sixth, with fewer points than under Moyes, and more likely to be relegated than win the league. That’s how average our performances have been for too long.

Repeat after me. 2nd place, 81 points, progress...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Repeat after me. 2nd place, 81 points, progress...
Yeah, this mantra is getting frustrating, especially when all the evidence is widely available to look beyond the results. A certain section of the fanbase is likely to be in for a real shock.

We can still turn it around, and by turn it around I mean finish top four and give ourselves the possibility of a fair cup run, if we make a demonstrable improvement. If not, it is going to be a long old season.

Judas

Open to offers
My view was we should comfortably finish top 4 with what we have, and if we didn't get that Jose should probably just give up being a manager. Still too early to write us off from top 4 to be honest, but it's going to be an ugly season.