Are you optimistic about the new season?

ZAGREB RED

Trying but not succeeding in envisaging a great season ahead. Hope I am wrong, obviously.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think that's what annoys me. Jose was full of excuses last season, and he's been given a load more. Its exactly why I thought we'd attack the transfer market, give the manager what he wants, and then if it all goes tits up, the blame can firmly be placed on him.
My thoughts exactly.
Jose now has an excuse to play bad football and scrape into 4th place.
Last year, he did use the Perisic excuse. This time around, he is going to name several players who he was not allowed to buy. And to be fair, our squad is very much under powered and it would be a miracle for any manager to win the league with the squad we currently have.
As an example, our back line is pretty much made up of the the same players we had under SAF - Smalling, Jones, Young, Valencia.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I predict second in the league and the FA cup for us this year. Our biggest achievement will be beating Liverpool to second place. Possible mutiny at the end of the season and Jose walking.
If Jose can get 2nd place, with our current squad (and considering the strength of LFC and MCFC squads), it will be like a league win.
If he achieves this, then the board should beg Jose to stay (similar to what happened at Arsenal and Wenger - getting top 4, while spending little).

Tony247

We need a CB and backup striker then we are good to fight for champion's league spot. RW would have been a good improvement to fight for league but that's where we are.. so.

Kemizee

Last year when City made all their signings we knew they were going to be the team to beat.

This year when Liverpool made all their signings we know they are going to be the team to beat together with City.

So that puts us at 3rd place at best. No, I am not optimistic about the new season because I know we're not going to win the title. We're the new Arsenal now -- content on making top 6/top 4 and winning the odd domestic trophy here and there.

Pretty much this....

lococol

That's a decent-ish season. Doubt we would be able to achieve such results while undergoing a mutiny that sees Jose walk.
I dont think it will be for a few of our players though. Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, David de Gea should all be winning major stuff and if we only win what I mentioned I think it would cause a lot of friction towards the end of the season. How long has Jose had now? Even though I personally dont think we will be, we should be trying to win major things this season. There are no excuses really. I think there is a lot more to come from this side. I think Martial has spat the dummy about the France squad but will settle down once the season starts. Also, some people are saying that money is tight because the Glaziers are happy milking us as long as we get top 4 but that does't make sense from a business perspective as they will want us winning everything on all fronts because that is what will recruit new fans around the world. Just a thought

lococol

Be surprised if we finish in the top 2 tbh. Certainly won't be winning the league. I expect a hard battle for top 4.
We will score goals galore this season. Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard and Rashford will score loads between them.

stevoc

To be honest no i'm no longer optimistic about the season ahead. I think and have thought for a while that we desperately need a good right winger and a top left back, yet the club seem intent on signing another player in the position (CB) the squad is most stacked in terms of numbers. And even then we seem to be way down the list of potential targets from the start of the window.

Now the window isn't closed yet and we could still sign a winger but it's not looking promising. It's hard to understand why a club with United's resources seems to be struggling so much to reinforce the squad in badly needed positions.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Honestly I would settle for a top 4 race if the football is more enjoyable, that means a strong possibiity of a worse season in terms of ranking in comparison to the previous one but I just look for the best balance between entertainment and wins

WMY

Be surprised if we finish in the top 2 tbh. Certainly won't be winning the league. I expect a hard battle for top 4.
Why is everyone thinking liv will smash it? They are a team of losers(no winners) with a manager who lost 7 straight finals. Many new UNPROVEN signings. What makes you think they will gel from the get go? It's statistically difficult for salah firminho mane to outperform than they did last year.

Meanwhile we have serial winners in Sanchez Pogba Degea Matic and most importantly Mourinho! Our players didn't perform anywhere close to what they are capable of last season. City, spurs have peaked. We have every chance for top two. I admit that it'll take a lot of stars to align for us to win the league this year.

We will make sure no one remembers the bridesmaids from scouserland

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm more optimistic after watching Fred vs Real Madrid. I've long believed that most matches are won in the middle of the pitch. In other words, the team with the best midfield often controls the match, the possession and the pace. That control means victory is much more likely. Well, for the first time since Scholes and Carrick were at their best, we just might have the best midfield in the league. This is assuming Fred and Andreas continue to improve and settle-in with the rigors of the EPL. With a choice from Pogba, Matic, Andreas, Fred, Herrera, and others we could be dominant in the middle again.

We have not had quick-thinking, quick-footed midfielders for a long time. We now have two in Fred and Andreas. (Yes, Pogba can play like that but more often he is best using his body to keep possession than with quick passing) This could change how we approach matches. Our defenders will have the confidence to pass to the midfield. Our midfield will be much better at keeping possession in tight spaces. Our midfield will have more confidence to be adventurous. And Fred and Andreas' quickness will help with defense.

I'm looking forward to watching our midfield develop and how Mou will use these new weapons from a tactical standpoint. We can easily deploy 2 DMs and 1 AM or 1 DM and 2 AMs and either formation will give Pogba more license roam and attack.

Now if we could just get a RW and/or RB.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Honestly I would settle for a top 4 race if the football is more enjoyable, that means a strong possibiity of a worse season in terms of ranking in comparison to the previous one but I just look for the best balance between entertainment and wins
Me too!
When Jose signed I expected trophies.
1st season we got 2 trophies.
2nd season, 0 - but we did get 2nd place and expected progression.
3rd season - given the board have basically shut Jose down, 4th place with boring football is not something to look forward to. if the board backed Jose and we I felt confident that we were now fully equipped to go for the title, then I would excuse the borning football and focus purely on the results. Alas, the fans have been screwed.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Me too!
3rd season - given the board have basically shut Jose down, 4th place with boring football is not something to look forward to. if the board backed Jose and we I felt confident that we were now fully equipped to go for the title, then I would excuse the borning football and focus purely on the results. Alas, the fans have been screwed.
Exactly. The board can feck off at the end of the day

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Seems like Rio isn't as well.

vivaronaldo

my thoughts on the season is one where I can sit back and relax

if jose wants to park the bus , so be it , if jose wants to attack so be it ,I coudnt care less as he'll be judged only on his results and none of this mind games mumbo jumbo that goes on

however , if he does not win a major trophy , he should walk .......a finish other than 1st is going backwards....this is his 3rd year , its his team , he's culture , he's style ,time for excuses is over ...

the start will be huge - a poor start and I think we may have a new manager by xmas and I think it explains his urgency to get players back ....our start is what got us 2nd last year , but im sorry that wont be enough to save him this year ...he's gone from 6th , to 2nd to .......only 1 spot left otherwise its a backwards year

he went trophyless once already , that excuse is done ...........over to you José , best of luck

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
Me too!
Klopp is a figure of derision here, and that's to be expected on a United forum. As of last season, he had spent 150 million less than Mourinho. He lost his best player midway through the year, and got top 4 with awesome football and got to a CL final. Pochettino has consistently spent low sums and got 3rd with really good football too.

Now, Klopp's spending is on par with Mourinho - yet United fans, and Mourinho himself say this must warrant a title challenge from Liverpool, yet its okay if Jose doesn't do the same, because he hasn't been backed? He has 3 of the 5 highest paid players in the division in his team (all his signings) - all world class or thereabouts, plus the best GK in the world, an elite premier league DM and until he took over, what were considered to be 3 of the brightest young prospects in world football.

Its not a stretch at all to expect him to challenge. He's had more backing than any manager barring Pep (if he gets in a CB it'll mean 30-50 million higher spend than Klopp, and I won't even get into net spend or wages) and has outspent Tottenham and Arsenal by a country mile.

Listar

my thoughts on the season is one where I can sit back and relax

if jose wants to park the bus , so be it , if jose wants to attack so be it ,I coudnt care less as he'll be judged only on his results and none of this mind games mumbo jumbo that goes on

however , if he does not win a major trophy , he should walk .......a finish other than 1st is going backwards....this is his 3rd year , its his team , he's culture , he's style ,time for excuses is over ...

the start will be huge - a poor start and I think we may have a new manager by xmas and I think it explains his urgency to get players back ....our start is what got us 2nd last year , but im sorry that wont be enough to save him this year ...he's gone from 6th , to 2nd to .......only 1 spot left otherwise its a backwards year

he went trophyless once already , that excuse is done ...........over to you José , best of luck
The problem with that is he already has an excuse ready made with the helping hand from the board. With no signings (except Fred) how is he expected to improve on last season results? If he gets top 4 and not top 2, he can very well say he didn't have the backing in this transfer window and it will be hard for us to say otherwise. If he did get in two signings but end up outside top 2, then yes he should walk.

Listar

Klopp is a figure of derision here, and that's to be expected on a United forum. As of last season, he had spent 150 million less than Mourinho. He lost his best player midway through the year, and got top 4 with awesome football and got to a CL final. Pochettino has consistently spent low sums and got 3rd with really good football too.

Now, Klopp's spending is on par with Mourinho - yet United fans, and Mourinho himself say this must warrant a title challenge from Liverpool, yet its okay if Jose doesn't do the same, because he hasn't been backed? He has 3 of the 5 highest paid players in the division in his team (all his signings) - all world class or thereabouts, plus the best GK in the world, an elite premier league DM and until he took over, what were considered to be 3 of the brightest young prospects in world football.

Its not a stretch at all to expect him to challenge. He's had more backing than any manager barring Pep (if he gets in a CB it'll mean 30-50 million higher spend than Klopp, and I won't even get into net spend or wages) and has outspent Tottenham and Arsenal by a country mile.
With all that awesome football you still fall below a well past it Mourinho. And no trophies to show off as well at the end of the season. To be honest, you can't even win the "awesome football" trophy as that belongs to Pep last year. So you can F off where you come from.

I fully expect you to call for Klopps head when he doesn't win the title this season since he has now been backed so much.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We still have time to improve the squad. If we bought back Rafael and Nani right now? We're be a better team. Pathetic to say not even joking. As is, the club have shown a lack of ambition and this steams back to under Sir Alex when we refused (for whatever reason) to keep improving the team. We need to buy players and personally i'd look at full back and out wide but who knows if we're even looking at these positions. Our width is awful. Shaw? Valencia? Young is our best bet but 9/10 he cuts back on himself and lofts the ball in. Lukaku looks to have a better cross then these people. Pereira is a nice addition in midfield and maybe Mitchell will step up. We have talented young lads coming through that could give us better balance but it's doubtful they will be used though Jose might go that route. All because the club are cheap.

soccerMad

We have to start on the right foot. There is no margin of error for Jose. I cannot imagine if we were to lose or draw the very first game. The pressure will be too much and the moaning will not stop. All hell will break lose and it will be the longest season for us fan.

Jose have to get it 100% right from the very first match and a good start. And build it from there, you'll never know what will happen, football is a wonderful game and nobody will be able to forsee what is going to happen in the future.

Just start the 2018-19 season and we'll take it from there. :devil:

Last edited:

iKeano

So hard to be optimistic about anything to date.

A board that doesn't care about football.
A manager that doesn't like the club, the players or the fans (never seen a more unhappy Utd manager in my life!).
Some players that don't care about the club or the fans.
Quality players being ostracised.
Well below average players being rewarded.
Divided fanbase.
Blind loyalty to a badge that might as well say Man United Advertising Agency than MUFC.

Providing the cash is incoming in the right direction, the harsh reality is that; the Club don't care, Glazers don't care, José doesn't care, some of the players don't care.
Fools like us in the stand pay hand over fist when José himself dismissed a pre-season game saying 'I wouldn't pay to watch us right now'... the manager of Man Utd saying that about HIS OWN TEAM!

City and Liverpool duking it out to win the league.
Utd more concerned with corporate sponsors than improving the squad.

How would you possibly be optimistic about any of the current sh1t-show that is Utd!?

micmac

I feel like we're going to kill it this season despite what's happening in the press.

We can't help that this year was a short transfer season and a WC year but also the backroom staff is pretty new as well and used the preseason to gel a bit. By next month I doubt ppl would be looking back at a lost against Bayern in an exhibition match as anything significant.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErranMorad

I'll be optimistic even with the squad available if Jose shows some optimism and enthusiasm. I think it is good enough to challenge, even if it falls just short at the end. It's the morose and acerbic Jose that is dampening my expectations. Most managers would get on with it and try to make the best of what is available. Not our Jose though, he has bitch, moan and cry each time he opens his mouth. Which spoils the whole mood and makes you worried about an incoming meltdown. He can air his grievances to Ed all he wants but at least in public he needs to show a braver face. We are Manchester United. This underdog mentality doesn't suit us. I doubt it'll ever work us.

MooseTheMooche

I feel like we're going to kill it this season despite what's happening in the press.

We can't help that this year was a short transfer season and a WC year but also the backroom staff is pretty new as well and used the preseason to gel a bit. By next month I doubt ppl would be looking back at a lost against Bayern in an exhibition match as anything significant.
I wish I could share such optimism as you, but I pretty much agree with everything that Rio has said today. On top of that I’d add that we are an incredibly disjointed team, there is no cohesion in our play, and we can barely string few passes together. As for the new back room staff, I am not really sure about them, Carrick? Seems to me that he is someone like Giggs was to Van Gaal, McKenna? I am not sure about him either, because apart from reading a few articles that praised his work, there is nothing that would suggest that he would be the catalyst for change. The overall outcome is very grim, and I just hope that we are not in for a “ride” like the Moyes season. I’d love to be wrong though, and that we will be having an incredible season, against all the odds

BaneIsPain

Easy.Let the football do the talking. I’m keen to see how United will start this season. It is not the same feeling when Moyes took over.

Toddler

I don't think anybody can be very positive about this season at this point. By pure logic, we have not improved as much as we should have compared to others (and we will not) and that leads to lower expectations. We have a manager that seems to be in a brink of a meltdown (at least he is handling the press quite awfully), then we have Pogba rumours; doesn't matter if they are true or not, they are not helping the cause and the list continues... At this point I can just hope we reach top 4, which is quite laughable.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why is everyone thinking liv will smash it? They are a team of losers(no winners) with a manager who lost 7 straight finals. Many new UNPROVEN signings. What makes you think they will gel from the get go? It's statistically difficult for salah firminho mane to outperform than they did

No way.

I can not believe Donald Trump posts on red cafe.

LordTyrion

We still have time to improve the squad. If we bought back Rafael and Nani right now? We're be a better team. Pathetic to say not even joking. As is, the club have shown a lack of ambition and this steams back to under Sir Alex when we refused (for whatever reason) to keep improving the team. We need to buy players and personally i'd look at full back and out wide but who knows if we're even looking at these positions. Our width is awful. Shaw? Valencia? Young is our best bet but 9/10 he cuts back on himself and lofts the ball in. Lukaku looks to have a better cross then these people. Pereira is a nice addition in midfield and maybe Mitchell will step up. We have talented young lads coming through that could give us better balance but it's doubtful they will be used though Jose might go that route. All because the club are cheap.
The warning signs were there when Ed refused to sign Perisic. You either back Mourinho or you don't, and if you have no intention of signing 29 years old's for £50m, then why employ Mourinho FFS...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Me too!
You say the board have shut Jose down? How do you know that? You don't know that at all.

I'm optimistic, always am. We have a better squad than at any time since Fergie left. Players like Sanchez and Pogba and Lukaku should smash it this season, all 3 of them lots to prove. Best keeper in the game. A better defence than a lot of people give credit for. Matic, Fred, Perreira, Pogba, Hererra, Mata, McT, Fellaini is at the very least a proper midfield, something we've been crying out for for years.

Serial winner manager, and he is, whether you guys / girls like that or not. More successful than >95% of all managers past and present. Not far off Fergie levels of success. No reason we can't have a great season.

Optimistic.

lococol

Can't wait for Jose to shut up the pessimists and haters this season. Bring it on!

Djemba-Djemba

I think we'll finish top 4 because Chelsea and Spurs haven't really improved and Arsenal haven't done any business that would worry me although getting rid of Wenger will be a huge boost to them.

Not what any of us were hoping when Jose became manager but I think it's the best we can hope for. This current squad with this manager isn't going to be winning the really big trophies.

RetroStu

Been a fan since the 80's but i honestly can't remember a time i have been this depressed about Utd. I knew it would be bad after Fergie retired, but i didn't think it would be as bad as its been so far.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think we'll finish top 4 because Chelsea and Spurs haven't really improved and Arsenal haven't done any business that would worry me although getting rid of Wenger will be a huge boost to them.

Not what any of us were hoping when Jose became manager but I think it's the best we can hope for. This current squad with this manager isn't going to be winning the really big trophies.
Chelsea have a new manager and made some decent signings/have some very talented kids coming through. I'd be very surprised if they didn't improve on last season.

Arsenal are the biggest unknown quantity out of all the big clubs. I'm desperately hoping they have an absolutely woeful season - which is a distinct possibility - if only as a distraction from our own inevitable horrors.

Djemba-Djemba

Chelsea have a new manager and made some decent signings/have some very talented kids coming through. I'd be very surprised if they didn't improve on last season.

Arsenal are the biggest unknown quantity out of all the big clubs. I'm desperately hoping they have an absolutely woeful season - which is a distinct possibility - if only as a distraction from our own inevitable horrors.
I wouldn't worry about any Chelsea kids doing anything, they'll never be given the opportunity to be a success anyway. I think they'll improve too, but they look like they'll struggle badly for goals if they go into the season with Morata and Giroud as their strikers.

I think we'll get top 4 but it won't be fun or nice to watch. Really dreading this season to be honest.

Godfather

Can't remember the last time I was that pessimistic about a season. Well apart from when Moyes was hired. But that was after we won the PL so I was still pretty confident we would have a decent season (how wrong I was).

RedorDead21

I think we'll win the title. I think we'll get a top CB in the door before tomorrow night. Already a damn hard team to beat we just need more from our midfield and I think Fred will raise our levels on that front which in turn will give our attacking play more success.