Argentina NT | WC Discussion

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

This is a more complete list.

I'm way more excited for the future, clearly no one cares about Argentina's prospects here and they think we are over without Messi.
Thanks mate, I cannot come here and put all the interesting names around, if I had to go deeper for 2004 you have Buonanotte or in top of my head after watching a Portugal vs Argentina from the 2006 generation in Montaigu this year (Argentina won 3:0) a guy from Velez named Prestianni was different, of course in that tournament there was Endrick from Palmeiras so no one discussed other player than him.

It's not on the same level as the Pekerman era for the under 20's but won't be surprised if in the near future we will look at Argentina on the same way they were looked when they went into those tournaments if I am not wrong between 93 or 95 until 2007 with the last under 20 WC being won by Di Maria and Aguero on the same team, even if Pekerman last title was in 2001.

Don't worry, I follow Youth Football since 1990 because the Portugal under 20 teams from that era won in 89 and 91 (Figo, Rui Costa, Paulo Sousa, Fernando Couto era) and I still remember the transition from the 1991 under 20 Argentina team who was basically a bunch of thugs kicking the other players ( even if in 89 there was Simeone or 91 Esnaider, Pochettino) and in 95 you already had the Zanettis and Sorins, no need to worry, people only look at the top clubs in Europe and they don't get the whole picture.

Is the same thing as believing Darwin cost 3 times more than Alvarez so he might be 3 times better. Business is one thing, football is another.

Last edited:

Pocho

Thanks mate, I cannot come here and put all the interesting names around, if I had to go deeper for 2004 you have Buonanotte or in top of my head after watching a Portugal vs Argentina from the 2006 generation in Montaigu this year (Argentina won 3:0) a guy from Velez named Prestianni was different, of course in that tournament there was Endrick from Palmeiras so no one discussed other player than him.

It's not on the same level as the Pekerman era for the under 20's but won't be surprised if in the near future we will look at Argentina on the same way they were looked when they went into those tournaments if I am not wrong between 93 or 95 until 2007 with the last under 20 WC being won by Di Maria and Aguero on the same team, even if Pekerman last title was in 2001.

Don't worry, I follow Youth Football since 1990 because the Portugal under 20 teams from that era won in 89 and 91 (Figo, Rui Costa, Paulo Sousa, Fernando Couto era) and I still remember the transition from the 1991 under 20 Argentina team who was basically a bunch of thugs kicking the other players ( even if in 89 there was Simeone or 91 Esnaider, Pochettino) and in 95 you already had the Zanettis and Sorins, no need to worry, people only look at the top clubs in Europe and they don't get the whole picture.

Is the same thing as believing Darwin cost 3 times more than Alvarez so he might be 3 times better. Business is one thing, football is another.
you really know a lot about youth football.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
you really know a lot about youth football.
Yes I know, without arrogance I can say a couple of things regarding this issues. The 1991 under 20 Argentina coach from my head was Reinaldo Merlo, and I guess the Pekerman era started in 95. Carlos Queiroz won the 89 and 91 under 20 WC and previously that competition was won by Yugoslavia in 1987 by Mirko Jozic who later won Libertadores with Colo Colo. That Yugoslavia team was packed.

But of course Pekerman had a more romantic approach than Queiroz who had more a strict rigid defensive and counterattacking approach, and at that time those competitions in Europe at Youth level were tough when you had countries like Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, some people might not like it but the degradation of Eastern European Football started in that decade, I am not going to say what was the reason because they will say I am a Communist.

Better not even discuss the level of the under 20 teams Brazil had in the 80's or 90's, before you played them you were already afraid .

But yeah, think the Argentina FA is going in the right direction, but I am feeling very strong Brazilian generations are coming in, we will see it now on Sud Americano next month, but the 2006 Brazilian generation will be really top level, it's not only Endrick.

Regarding Europen teams we have to see, always hard to measure France by Youth level results, it's on Ligue 1 where their progress is measured, even if they won recently the under 17 UEFA Tounament beating Portugal in the Semis and the Netherlands in the Finals, so I think they are here to stay.

Germany and Spain? Strong at Under 21 Euros, but for whatever reason last tounaments for them isn't clicking. And England will be ok.

Last edited:

IFC 1905

Once brazilians get better tactically (which is happening at club levels) and once their players leave this "Moleque" attitude, there's nothing to do, they will have a couple stars more over their badge.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Once brazilians get better tactically (which is happening at club levels) and once their players leave this "Moleque" attitude, there's nothing to do, they will have a couple stars more over their badge.
I know this is the Argentina NT topic, but Brasileirão is now full of foreign coaches, be it from Argentina, Portugal or even Uruguay, but if you want my opinion what Brazilians should follow is the Fernando Diniz Fluminense approach type of football and forget that nonsense of more "European" tactics to improve on International tournaments.

The only guy from Portugal who was there who was more close to what they like in Brazil was Jorge Jesus at Flamengo, Abel at Palmeiras is more a resultadista approach, but I am starting to feel there's pressure there for their NT being managed by a foreigner, for me it's a wrong choice.

Pocho

Yes I know, without arrogance I can say a couple of things regarding this issues. The 1991 under 20 Argentina coach from my head was Reinaldo Merlo, and I guess the Pekerman era started in 95. Carlos Queiroz won the 89 and 91 under 20 WC and previously that competition was won by Yugoslavia in 1987 by Mirko Jozic who later won Libertadores with Colo Colo. That Yugoslavia team was packed.

But of course Pekerman had a more romantic approach than Queiroz who had more a strict rigid defensive and counterattacking approach, and at that time those competitions in Europe at Youth level were tough when you had countries like Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, some people might not like it but the degradation of Eastern European Football started in that decade, I am not going to say what was the reason because they will say I am a Communist.

Better not even discuss the level of the under 20 teams Brazil had in the 80's or 90's, before you played them you were already afraid .

But yeah, think the Argentina FA is going in the right direction, but I am feeling very strong Brazilian generations are coming in, we will see it now on Sud Americano next month, but the 2006 Brazilian generation will be really top level, it's not only Endrick.

Regarding Europen teams we have to see, always hard to measure France by Youth level results, it's on Ligue 1 where their progress is measured, even if they won recently the under 17 UEFA Tounament beating Portugal in the Semis and the Netherlands in the Finals, so I think they are here to stay.

Germany and Spain? Strong at Under 21 Euros, but for whatever reason last tounaments for them isn't clicking. And England will be ok.
Haha you know more than I do, for sure. Really loved those Pekerman’s teams.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Haha you know more than I do, for sure. Really loved those Pekerman’s teams.
He won 95/97/2001 and on the middle of that it was the Spain of Casillas, Puyol, Marchena and Xavi.

I remember the 2005 Argentina team who won was another coach and it was Messi there, and the 2007 team was Aguero with Di Maria.

Believe it or not Di Maria first 2 seasons after he left Rosario Central he struggled a lot and only exploded in 2009 at Benfica under Jorge Jesus who has a good relationship with Aimar.

Last edited:

Pocho

He won 95/97/2001 and on the middle of that it was the Spain of Casillas, Puyol, Marchena and Xavi.

I remember the 2005 Argentina team who won was another coach and it was Messi there, and the 2007 team was Aguero with Di Maria.

Believe it or not Di Maria first 2 seasons at Benfica after he left Rosario Central he struggled a lot and only exploded in 2009 at Benfica under Jorge Jesus who has a good relationship with Aimar.

The rest is history and 2026 played in the American Continent perhaps with hot temperatures usually European teams struggle to win tournaments there, even if it’s played in 3 different countries.
how did Aimar played at Benfica? He arrived as a veteran. Always loved him and he was Messi’s idol as a kid.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
how did Aimar played at Benfica? He arrived as a veteran. Always loved him and he was Messi’s idol as a kid.
Aimar arrived there if I am not wrong in 2008 when Quique Flores was their coach, think Saviola was a season later under Jesus, probably it was under Jesus he, Saviola and Di Maria exploded together, Cardozo the striker from Paraguay already there.

Think those 2 seasons under Jesus must have been great for him, he arrived from Zaragoza at a time he was already struggling with physical problems, and if I am not wrong he arrived at Benfica to replace Rui Costa who finished his career there.

All in all I think their fans like him and have good memories of him, of course I am not that interested regarding their feelings, but I do remember when he arrived in Europe with huge expectations around him to a Cuper or Benitez Valencia who had Ayala, Killy Gonzales, Mendieta and so on, strong era of Spanish League.

While Saviola arrived at Barcelona also with great expectations on him after the 2001 under 20 WC I might be wrong played and won in Argentina under Pekerman, think Saviola broke all the goal scoring records.

If I am not wrong River had something like Aimar as a 10, Saviola and Juan Pablo Angel as strikers, don’t know if they were coached by Passarella or Ramon Diaz, at that time best River or Boca players went directly to top Spain or Italy sides.

Now things in the market are way different with the advent of the Premier League and my feeling is that to come directly to England they come via a Brighton type of club or they stop first in a Dutch or Portuguese League and if they perform well there then they will be signed.

Looks money isn’t a problem. Perhaps the confusion by some posters here regarding the quality of Argentina players is related to not seeing them exactly on those top clubs, if you ask them who is Fausto Vera they don’t know he is a guy from Argentinos Juniors who is at Corinthians and IMO is already more than good enough to play on a Ligue 1 or Bundesliga side.

It’s a bit like Almiron only exploding now under Howe at Newcastle and when he was signed to a MLS club everyone was saying he would never make it.

Perhaps one day they will say the same thing regarding Thiago Almada then, but you can bet without Messi they will say Argentina won’t win nothing in 2026 in this topics.

Reactions: Invictus

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Aimar arrived there if I am not wrong in 2008 when Quique Flores was their coach, think Saviola was a season later under Jesus, probably it was under Jesus he, Saviola and Di Maria exploded together, Cardozo the striker from Paraguay already there.

Think those 2 seasons under Jesus must have been great for him, he arrived from Zaragoza at a time he was already struggling with physical problems, and if I am not wrong he arrived at Benfica to replace Rui Costa who finished his career there.

All in all I think their fans like him and have good memories of him, of course I am not that interested regarding their feelings, but I do remember when he arrived in Europe with huge expectations around him to a Cuper or Benitez Valencia who had Ayala, Killy Gonzales, Mendieta and so on, strong era of Spanish League.

While Saviola arrived at Barcelona also with great expectations on him after the 2001 under 20 WC I might be wrong played and won in Argentina under Pekerman, think Saviola broke all the goal scoring records.

If I am not wrong River had something like Aimar as a 10, Saviola and Juan Pablo Angel as strikers, don’t know if they were coached by Passarella or Ramon Diaz, at that time best River or Boca players went directly to top Spain or Italy sides.

Now things in the market are way different with the advent of the Premier League and my feeling is that to come directly to England they come via a Brighton type of club or they stop first in a Dutch or Portuguese League and if they perform well there then they will be signed.

Looks money isn’t a problem. Perhaps the confusion by some posters here regarding the quality of Argentina players is related to not seeing them exactly on those top clubs, if you ask them who is Fausto Vera they don’t know he is a guy from Argentinos Juniors who is at Corinthians and IMO is already more than good enough to play on a Ligue 1 or Bundesliga side.

It’s a bit like Almiron only exploding now under Howe at Newcastle and when he was signed to a MLS club everyone was saying he would never make it.

Perhaps one day they will say the same thing regarding Thiago Almada then, but you can bet without Messi they will say Argentina won’t win nothing in 2026 in this topics.
Your youth knowledge is exemplary.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Yes, very interesting posts @SCP. And great memory.

Pintu

But is it new? I dont remember this ever happening...
The Finalissima has only been played twice before. In 1985, France, led by Platini, defeated Uruguay with Francesoli. It did not happen in 1989, but rather in 1993, when Maradona's Argentina defeated Schmeichel's Denmark. During the time when the Confederation Cup, which did not originally include UEFA, was held from 1992 to 2017, the Finalissima was not played. However, Denmark, with M Laudrup, took revenge against Argentina in 1995, as Europe participated in the Confederation Cup for the first time.

Pocho

great post, lets see How Julian develops at City.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
great post, lets see How Julian develops at City.
Let's see if Guardiola improves him or if in a couple of seasons he will need the Gabriel Jesus move to enjoy more freedom to play, and if there's space for him and Haaland in the same 11.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What I already mentioned on the other day regarding some people outside Argentina who haven't really payed attention to what they are producing, this one probably will be joining a club related with the City Group, not expecting him to go straight into City, but who knows. Top 2003 age group prospect in Argentina, at least for me.

People think there it's only River and Boca, but there's always Racing, Independiente, and particularly Velez Sarsfield and Rosário Central, even Argentinos Juniors and Newells, so at the pace they're going to sell more, another bunch of new players will be promoted and the show will go on.

Of course the bad side of this is probably the gap between Brazil top clubs and Argentina will increase, if they don't start increasing the release clauses of their top prospects. Argentina won't be finished without Messi.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
These lot seem to have a strong generation coming up.

We’re also linked to Varela, 20 year old defensive midfielder from Boca Juniors.

Guys like Alvarez, Enzo and Garnacho are just the tip of the iceberg.

avgp_1

These lot seem to have a strong generation coming up.

We’re also linked to Varela, 20 year old defensive midfielder from Boca Juniors.

Guys like Alvarez, Enzo and Garnacho are just the tip of the iceberg.
Yeah Varela looks mighty impressive. Looks a player like Casemiro. I guess by we you mean Barca?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah Varela looks mighty impressive. Looks a player like Casemiro. I guess by we you mean Barca?
Yeah

Busquets renewal might make me give up on club football completely.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Yeah

Busquets renewal might make me give up on club football completely.
Barca to renew Busquets? This can’t be serious or is Xavi that stupid? I not even sure Busquets can play in the MLS level 2 seasons ago

Kopral Jono

This is very out of topic but it just dawned on me how Anglocentric Argentina is when it comes to sport. Obviously football is a religion, but their rugby union team and women's field hockey team are consistently regarded as up there with the very best. I think tennis and golf are also popular there (with regard to the latter Angel Cabrera springs to mind) and the motorsports fanatic that is my partner's old man has also told me stories about Juan Fangio.

Cricket is the only stereotypically English sport missing in their repertoire.

IFC 1905

This is very out of topic but it just dawned on me how Anglocentric Argentina is when it comes to sport. Obviously football is a religion, but their rugby union team and women's field hockey team are consistently regarded as up there with the very best. I think tennis and golf are also popular there (with regard to the latter Angel Cabrera springs to mind) and the motorsports fanatic that is my partner's old man has also told me stories about Juan Fangio.

Cricket is the only stereotypically English sport missing in their repertoire.
We also compete at basketball, handball and volleyball

Kopral Jono

We also compete at basketball, handball and volleyball
No, of course, I'm fully aware of Argentina's prowess in basketball. What I'm trying to say is you'll be hard pressed to find a country outside the Commonwealth that competes in each sport mentioned at the level of Argentina. Even Canada, a country that shares a head of state with the UK, has very little in common with England when it comes to sport.