Argentina NT

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Argentina defended their way to the last WC final, Mascherano led the team to the WC final will be a better description.
I could care less about Argentina. Hope theyd never made the WC. But this obsession you have with CR7 is sickening. Its not healthy. Just going to block you because this madness disgusts me.

I hope you get the help you need, friend.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I could care less about Argentina. Hope theyd never made the WC. But this obsession you have with CR7 is sickening. Its not healthy. Just going to block you because this madness disgusts me.

I hope you get the help you need, friend.
I have no problem with people who think/believe Messi is better, it’s the brigade who think of their opinions as ‘facts’ that I have an issue with.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I have no problem with people who think/believe Messi is better, it’s the brigade who think of their opinions as ‘facts’ that I have an issue with.
I dont care about Messi also. He can retire for all I care. You fail to understand its not Messi, or any player in the world the problem here, its the fact youre unhealthy obsessed with CR7.

Youre Max Cady from Cape Fear, to put it in perspective for you.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I dont care about Messi also. He can retire for all I care. You fail to understand its not Messi, or any player in the world the problem here, its the fact youre unhealthy obsessed with CR7.

Youre Max Cady from Cape Fear, to put it in perspective for you.
I only respond in kind to the Messi brigade most the time.

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about in the 2nd sentence.

Anyway, do what you got to do.

Culero

For me Messi should be employed as a pure forward for Argentina. The team needs to be built to provide a platform for him to spear head. Rather than as a team he must knit together. I hope Sampaoli works on the midfield combinations and releases Messi from having to be the heart beat of the team.
100% agree. Sampaoli did one thing right in this match for once. He setup Messi as goalscorer instead of his "9", you could see they never tried to setup Benadetto to score rather he is making runs to stretch the defence. That left Messi with more space in the hole and the one who was always making runs to the center of the box.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
That's the only way, imo. It includes finding a team that's able to defend tightly without a lot of contribution from Messi. For all the stick the defense gets for yesterday's game, the team was far from the required compactness to support them. That has to be sorted out until next year.

To me it's not super-important if Messi plays like yesterday or in the way you propose. I guess both can make sense in the right setting. That said, finding a way to include Dybala would obviously be a plus.
Whilst it's not ideal relying on one player, when it's Messi I think you can make an exception as he's the most consistent player arguably in football. Even when he starts a game poorly or doesn't have an overly great game overall, he always creates something and he always scores goals.

As you say, I think if Argentina can build a team that's compact defensively and difficult to break down and have some midfielders who are solid with decent forward distribution and give Messi even remotely good service, he can create chances for himself or a couple of other team-mates around him. If he does that 3/4 times a game, Argentina probably end up with 2/3 goals.

RedDevil@84

Argentina defended their way to the last WC final, Mascherano led the team to the WC final will be a better description.
Spot on.
Mascherano was unreal in the knockouts. I always chuckle when people say Messi took them to 2014 WC final.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Yup. Just like Pepe in Euros.
Ecactly. Portugal's defence and management made them hard to beat and were the reason they won the tournament. Ronaldo was pretty ordinary in all games except Hungary.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
A team can do that but it doesn't make them favorites. There's no chance they're in the same bracket as Spain, Germany, Brazil or France. In one off games anything can happen but as things stand they're not a very good team.
For now they are not a good team. But that can change in 7 months time. That is why I say by virtue of the talent available to them, they will be classed as favorites.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Whilst it's not ideal relying on one player, when it's Messi I think you can make an exception as he's the most consistent player arguably in football. Even when he starts a game poorly or doesn't have an overly great game overall, he always creates something and he always scores goals.

As you say, I think if Argentina can build a team that's compact defensively and difficult to break down and have some midfielders who are solid with decent forward distribution and give Messi even remotely good service, he can create chances for himself or a couple of other team-mates around him. If he does that 3/4 times a game, Argentina probably end up with 2/3 goals.
You just described argentina at the 14 WC. Messi progressively disappeared as soon as the quality of the opponent and the stakes were raised. Throughout his career, argentina and messi have been consistently better when Messi was made to adapt to the team, rather than when they adapted the team to Messi

Forget making Messi the heart of the team. Ask him to be either the goalscorer, or the facilitator-in-chief. That's where he has excelled for them.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
You just described argentina at the 14 WC. Messi progressively disappeared as soon as the quality of the opponent and the stakes were raised. Throughout his career, argentina and messi have been consistently better when Messi was made to adapt to the team, rather than when they adapted the team to Messi

Forget making Messi the heart of the team. Ask him to be either the goalscorer, or the facilitator-in-chief. That's where he has excelled for them.
On the other hand, that team was damn close to winning the thing. With a little more luck and better shot conversion they could have done it. Not sure more could have been expected from that group of players.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Forget making Messi the heart of the team. Ask him to be either the goalscorer,
or the facilitator-in-chief. That's where he has excelled for them.
They made the final, and only lost in ET to a quality German side...

This was also the point I was trying to make. Stop asking him to keep the side ticking and dominate the game. Instead be strong defensively, have decent distributors in the middle who can get the ball forward to him in the final third (with some wide players who can occupy the full-backs) and he'll probably score goals on his own.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Wondering that myself. He looks massively out of his depth. The fact Icardi and Dybala are often left on the bench while this guy starts (and generally stinks up the place) is a travesty.
Just because he has scored some goals for Boca Sampaoli thinks he is a great player.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
To be fair Messi didn't jump on the line like a clown in the final acting like he's the coach. Maybe if he had he would have won the WC.

;)
Still a better footballing performance than having your captain being shut down by Adrien Silva and being eliminated in the 117th minute by a Ricardo Quaresma header after hitting the post 20 seconds earlier. I bet it hurt watching the clown lift the cup.

Stocar

This was also the point I was trying to make. Stop asking him to keep the side ticking and dominate the game. Instead be strong defensively, have decent distributors in the middle who can get the ball forward to him in the final third (with some wide players who can occupy the full-backs) and he'll probably score goals on his own.
They remind me of many Brazil squads of the last few decades that everyone always expected to play spectacular football, but that were mostly frustrating to watch, and usually barely scraping when they were actually winning. There's a lot of hubris, insane expectations and anachronistic ideas about the game around these teams. And there's the fact those Brazil squads, however dysfunctional, were generally well balanced and strong on all positions, unlike this Argentina squad. I agree it would be good idea for them to make things more simple and form a more functional unit to support Messi, regardless of names.

meninred

The team has no shape at all.I dont think they will progress much farther in the competition.

AshRK

I can easily see them performing well at the WC, but Sampaoli must play his best players. Same with other national manager. If they are to win/do well, they must play the best individuals they have.

RedStarUnited

The team has no shape at all.I dont think they will progress much farther in the competition.
They usually defend well and thats golden in tournament football. In the last 3 tournaments they have been in, this is their record in KO games;

Played 10
Goals Scored 16
Goals Against 2

They got to 2 finals of the Copa on pens and a world cup they narrowly lost to Germany 1-0.

What they need to address is how the hell Dybala,Aguero, Icardi and Higuain dont play well. In qualifying for this world cup, only higuain scored and he only scored 1 goal.

Fenomeno9

I can easily see them performing well at the WC, but Sampaoli must play his best players. Same with other national manager. If they are to win/do well, they must play the best individuals they have.
Best individuals shouldn’t play if there national team performances is below par.

AshRK

Best individuals shouldn’t play if there national team performances is below par.
Yes we all saw how great Benedetto was. I dont understand how it is a difficult thing to play your best players. France under Deschamps is another example where the manager is thick enough to play his best players. Germany hardly drops its best players , neither I ever saw Spain during their dominance not pick their best players. Icardi and Aguero should get the nod ahead of Benedetto unless Benedetto starts banging goals for his country too.

Fenomeno9

Yes we all saw how great Benedetto was. I dont understand how it is a difficult thing to play your best players. France under Deschamps is another example where the manager is thick enough to play his best players. Germany hardly drops its best players , neither I ever saw Spain during their dominance not pick their best players. Icardi and Aguero should get the nod ahead of Benedetto unless Benedetto starts banging goals for his country too.
Like someone mentioned above Higuian has only 1 goal in qualifying and Aguero has routinely underperform for them. Why should they automatically start if they don’t show up.

Benadetto shouldn’t start btw.

Stocar

They usually defend well and thats golden in tournament football. In the last 3 tournaments they have been in, this is their record in KO games.
That mostly has to do with other teams setting up very cautiously when facing them. And probably getting that extra bit of motivation playing against, what is at least on paper, an attacking dream team. That makes for some very dull games.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@IFC 1905 or someone else, last two games fans were singing some song for 90% of the time, anyone knows a name of that song?

Ban

Still a better footballing performance than having your captain being shut down by Adrien Silva and being eliminated in the 117th minute by a Ricardo Quaresma header after hitting the post 20 seconds earlier. I bet it hurt watching the clown lift the cup.
That was uncalled for cause I was responding to Cal and his obsession with Ronaldo and with belittling Messi.

If you want I will go into how you 'shut us down' exactly but there's no need, agree?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@IFC 1905 or someone else, last two games fans were singing some song for 90% of the time, anyone knows a name of that song?
Dunno which songs you're talking about but i'll take a guess "argentina es un sentimiento no puedo parar"

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
That was uncalled for cause I was responding to Cal and his obsession with Ronaldo and with belittling Messi.

If you want I will go into how you 'shut us down' exactly but there's no need, agree?
I'd actually love to hear it as it would bring some good memories back but you're right. There's no need.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They should get Pochetino as their manager. Don't think he'd like international football but he'd be good. He'd be perfect for United.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dunno which songs you're talking about but i'll take a guess "argentina es un sentimiento no puedo parar"
feck, not sure :lol: seemed like a slow abd "peaceful" song on the tv, this is more like a chant.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
They should get Pochetino as their manager. Don't think he'd like international football but he'd be good. He'd be perfect for United.
I'm not sure he'd work for international football, his success seems very much built on both being able to ingrain a system in to his players and being able to improve their abilities. Club football is conducive to both those things because he gets to work with those players day-in, day-out. I'm not sure he'd have the time with them at international level to really achieve either of those things.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
People posting about Argentina team selection probably is missing one point. First time, they have a manager who goes for the players that fits the team rather than shoe horning all the available talents.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure he'd work for international football, his success seems very much built on both being able to ingrain a system in to his players and being able to improve their abilities. Club football is conducive to both those things because he gets to work with those players day-in, day-out. I'm not sure he'd have the time with them at international level to really achieve either of those things.
Exactly. Pochettino wouldn't have time with Argentina.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A great offensive strategy require good wingers or/and offensive full-back. Di Maria, Pastore, Dybala... aren't pure wingers and won't run the show on the flanks.

The issue is Argentina doesn't seem to have great lateral defenders nowadays. Think about Dani Alves who was a part-time winger who release space for Messi & enable opportunities. Think about City last season who was extremely disappointing despite spending so much: how was it possible to offer great football with Sagna (34 years) & Clichy (32 years)?

To get the most out of Messi, you need mobility about him. With Dybala, something great could be done but I haven't the feeling that Sampaoli has the right vision. Also, his choices are sometimes odd and lack consistency.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
A great offensive strategy require good wingers or/and offensive full-back. Di Maria, Pastore, Dybala... aren't pure wingers and won't run the show on the flanks.

The issue is Argentina doesn't seem to have great lateral defenders nowadays. Think about Dani Alves who was a part-time winger who release space for Messi & enable opportunities. Think about City last season who was extremely disappointing despite spending so much: how was it possible to offer great football with Sagna (34 years) & Clichy (32 years)?

To get the most out of Messi, you need mobility about him. With Dybala, something great could be done but I haven't the feeling that Sampaoli has the right vision. Also, his choices are sometimes odd and lack consistency.
Sampaoli's style of play is a bit weird. Doesn't he use a 3-3-1-3?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Argentina named their latest squad ahead of two final warm ups against Italy and Spain before final 23 has to be named.

Goalkeepers

Romero (Man. United)
Guzman (UNAL)
Caballero (Chelsea)

Defenders

Fazio (Roma)
Fuenes Mori (Everton)
Mercardo (Sevilla)
Tagliafico (Ajax)
Mascherano (Hebei China)
Marcos Rojo (Man. United)
Otamendi (Man. City)

Midfielders

Paredes (Zenit)
Biglia (AC Milan)
Perotti (Roma)
Di Maria (PSG)
Acuna (Sporting)
Lo Celso (PSG)
Ever Banega (Sevilla)
Lanzini (West Ham)
Salvio (Benfica)

Strikers

Messi
Aguero (Man. City)
Higuain (Juventus)

Some interesting selections there. Dybala and Icardi are injured so Higuain is back and will surely stay for the World Cup. There are 22 names in that squad so I do wonder if there's space for Argentina to actually take the 5 strikers otherwise you're a bit understocked in other areas.

Only 7 defenders named with Argentina playing a back 3 now. Think that's going to be the problem area. Mascherano has declined badly last 18 months, Fuenes Mori hasn't even made his comeback yet for Everton yet is already called up, Fazio is too slow for the counter attack and Rojo seems injured again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would like to see Paredes get a run although guess his move to Russia has harmed his chances.

He did well at Roma and his box to box with Banega's more cultured game is probably the best Argentine combination for central midfield