Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The squad selection for the qualifier games against Uruguay and Venezuela

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The rumored starting XI vs Uruguay

Which would look something like this I guess?

IFC 1905

The player who would play in the right position could be Acosta or Bustos, Rigoni... there's no confirmation of it. The midfield is pretty much crap.

Also Acuña has been tested in there.

@Peyroteo how is he doing at Sporting?

The MID though :drool:

Here's the full list

Bole Top

their volantes look pretty underwhelming when you look at that lineup.

Fenomeno9

their volantes look pretty underwhelming when you look at that lineup.
Paulinho and Renato Augusto looks underwhelming on paper as well for us but their performance has justify there place so far. I give this a chance.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
About time Icardi gets in the squad

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Had Icardi been "vetoed" for what happened with his ex and Maxi López?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Not Peyroteo, but Sporting fan here.

Acuña has played all 6 official matches Sporting had this month, 2 of them against Steaua Bucuresti from Romania, always as a starter.

We play mainly a 4/4/2 or recently a 4/2/3/1 where he plays as a Left Winger, 487 minutes, 1 goal and 1 assist against Steaua and more 3 assists on the League.

He is not very creative but works for the team and looks well integrated, besides we have Gelson playing on the Right Wing, so it is a good mix and contrast.

Only factor is that we don't play 3 at the back, but he probably played that system in Argentina I guess?

buckooo1978

never thought I'd say it but they are really missing Rojo in that defence

a better central defender than Otamendi

buckooo1978

Fake news :lol:
dude Rojo and I ain't got no time for haters

in all seriousness he's a more solid CB than Otamendi, certainly based on last season's form

I imagine Rojo will play left when fit

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I literally forgot Icardi was Argentinian.

Trizy

Romero! He's won us all over after last season :drool:

Argentina better hope Rojo is back and hitting form for the world cup. Great centre half on his day.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Mascherano will likely be dropped (his form since the 2016 Copa America has been dreadful, he might be on a steady decline).

Rojo-Otamendi-Musacchio is Argentina's best bet for a 3 man defense IMO. I don't know why Musacchio is never called up. He's a quality defender.

IFC 1905

Not Peyroteo, but Sporting fan here.

Acuña has played all 6 official matches Sporting had this month, 2 of them against Steaua Bucuresti from Romania, always as a starter.

We play mainly a 4/4/2 or recently a 4/2/3/1 where he plays as a Left Winger, 487 minutes, 1 goal and 1 assist against Steaua and more 3 assists on the League.

He is not very creative but works for the team and looks well integrated, besides we have Gelson playing on the Right Wing, so it is a good mix and contrast.

Only factor is that we don't play 3 at the back, but he probably played that system in Argentina I guess?

Thanks for that. Acuña is not used to play like that at all. That's something Sampaoli himself said.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
dude Rojo and I ain't got no time for haters

in all seriousness he's a more solid CB than Otamendi, certainly based on last season's form

Carrer Otamendi is more solid imo, I say this because I know more or less the potential of the 2 when they played in Portugal, and Otamendi was better, Rojo had 1 great season with Leo Jardim in 2013/2014 and last season with Mou.

Otamendi with AVB and Vitor Pereira at Porto was way better than Rojo, also was good at Valencia, in WC 2014 Rojo played as a left fullback and not as centerback, just my opinion, and I like Rojo tbh, even if I did not liked the way he left the club, not United fault tbf.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thanks for that. Acuña is not used to play like that at all. That's something Sampaoli himself said.
Tbf the majority of Argentinian players who are playing in Europe are not playing under this system, maybe Mercado last season at Sevilla, anyway Sampaoli going full Bielsa vs Uruguay, hopefully goes better than Bielsa at Lille. :lol:

Last edited:

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
As always, pretty shitty team. Let's see how Messi plays.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

He's great, @SCP pretty much said everything. He's a fighter, very strong defensively and puts great balls in the box, which already has had an impact on our set pieces compared to last season. Bas Dost will love getting on the end of his crosses. The one thing I haven't liked so far is that he loves cutting to his left foot a bit too much.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Which would look something like this I guess?

That looks unbalanced. It's way too attacking especially in an away game against Uruguay. Neither Messi or Dybala will be great at helping the midfield and the 2 wide players are too attacking.

I get why Argentina would play 3 at the back since they have plenty of quality CBs but I don't think they have capable wingbacks to pull it off.

IFC 1905

He's great, @SCP pretty much said everything. He's a fighter, very strong defensively and puts great balls in the box, which already has had an impact on our set pieces compared to last season. Bas Dost will love getting on the end of his crosses. The one thing I haven't liked so far is that he loves cutting to his left foot a bit too much.

I like him. He's been playing for the national team. I wouldn't say he's a great, great player but he has a lot of sacrifice in his game, and that's appreciated. I think he's one of those players you wanna have in your squad.
Pretty much what I told you :D

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Pretty much what I told you :D
Yup. With Gelson on the other side he gives balance to the team. I think he'll be very important and I can see him staying for several years. Rodrigo Battaglia is doing very well too so far, if someone breaks William's release clause there will be two argentines starting for us.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
That's some front 3. What would that be worth in today's market? 500m + or so.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This team is so desperately in need of creative midfielders it's almost tragic.

Biglia and Pizarro offer absolutely nothing other than easy sideways passes to the nearest player available. Neither can move the ball quickly or with purpose.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Sampaoli's 3-1-2-1-2 lineup against Venezuela tomorrow

That's... different. I can't wait to see Dybala play CM

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sampaoli's 3-1-2-1-2 lineup against Venezuela tomorrow

That's... different. I can't wait to see Dybala play CM
That's not how it will look like at all. They'll use the same formation as the Uruguay game. Di Maria and Acosta as wingbacks and Dybala, Messi and Icardi as the front 3.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Carrer Otamendi is more solid imo, I say this because I know more or less the potential of the 2 when they played in Portugal, and Otamendi was better, Rojo had 1 great season with Leo Jardim in 2013/2014 and last season with Mou.

Otamendi with AVB and Vitor Pereira at Porto was way better than Rojo, also was good at Valencia, in WC 2014 Rojo played as a left fullback and not as centerback, just my opinion, and I like Rojo tbh, even if I did not liked the way he left the club, not United fault tbf.
They play under different systems too, Rojo at United gets a lot more protection than Otamendi at City who much like our CB's has to defend vast spaces.
Anyways what channels do these games get shown on? Want to watch the Brazil one.

Revan

Assumptionman
Had Icardi been "vetoed" for what happened with his ex and Maxi López?
That was the rumour. Sampaoli won't let Messi dictate his team though, and it isn't surprising that the first moment Argentina does not have a nothing manager, Icardi gets called.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That's not how it will look like at all. They'll use the same formation as the Uruguay game. Di Maria and Acosta as wingbacks and Dybala, Messi and Icardi as the front 3.
Yup was going to say the same, those positions are wrong, 1 of the good things for Argentina is as unconventional Sampaoli might be, he knows how he wants his team to play, and Dybala alonside Banega doesn't make any sense at all.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They play under different systems too, Rojo at United gets a lot more protection than Otamendi at City who much like our CB's has to defend vast spaces.
Anyways what channels do these games get shown on? Want to watch the Brazil one.
You can say that yes, the way Pep wants his teams to play project much more the fullbacks than Mou, maybe why they started with 3 at the back on the first 2 matches, but clearly the team showed lack of creativity, with the back 4 they also will be more exposed because Fernandinho doesn't have the positional awareness of Yaya or Gundogan imo.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
That was the rumour. Sampaoli won't let Messi dictate his team though, and it isn't surprising that the first moment Argentina does not have a nothing manager, Icardi gets called.
Thanks!, very strange situation anyway, for him and the rest of the team

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
How does Di Maria look as a wingback? On paper it looks crazy, maybe less so than Dybala in central midfield, but still...

Fenomeno9

Dybala is not playing CM tomorrow. He will be in a front 3 with Messi and Icardi.

Banega is capable of linking the defense with the attack. If Sampaoli can get the best out of him. I think it would improve them a lot.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
How does Di Maria look as a wingback? On paper it looks crazy, maybe less so than Dybala in central midfield, but still...
He looked poor vs Uruguay. Was alright defensively but offensively he didn't add anything and his crossing was pretty poor.

WhoDaGOAT

Dybala is not playing CM tomorrow. He will be in a front 3 with Messi and Icardi.

Banega is capable of linking the defense with the attack. If Sampaoli can get the best out of him. I think it would improve them a lot.
A motivated & fit Banega is world class and a joy to watch. It's a shame that he only plays well for a few weeks of the year.

Emery knows how to manage him.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
He looked poor vs Uruguay. Was alright defensively but offensively he didn't add anything and his crossing was pretty poor.
Thanks. One would have thought that with Sampaoli they'd stop putting square pegs in round holes. Maybe he knows something we don't though.