Argentina NT

jetlee

I'm surprised that here people only talk about possible lineups. How are they doing under Sampaoli? Because the results suggest it is not all rosy.
Now they are in a playoff place but depending on the last 2 round of games they can end up in any place between 2 and 7.
What I am most surprised is the low amount of goals, just 1 own goal in their last 2.
So how do people who watched them rate their chances of qualification?

Kapardin

Exactly how a team with forwards like Messi, Dybala, Icardi and di Maria become so goal-shy?

Its' a pity, I think with a semi-competent coach, this could have been Argentina's golden period. Instead, they look a disjointed mess.

WhoDaGOAT

I'm surprised that here people only talk about possible lineups. How are they doing under Sampaoli? Because the results suggest it is not all rosy.
Now they are in a playoff place but depending on the last 2 round of games they can end up in any place between 2 and 7.
What I am most surprised is the low amount of goals, just 1 own goal in their last 2.
So how do people who watched them rate their chances of qualification?
Peru will not be an easy game

Their wing backs aren't good enough and Icardi is wasting lots of chances.

Banega is the only creative midfielder and Mascherano is on the wane.

jetlee

I thought Sampaoli will put some fight back into this team. Maybe if they somehow fell over the line and qualify it will give the players a boost and the coach gets more time to build something.

RooneyLegend

Thought they played well against Venezuela, just the ball refusing the go into the back of the net. Especially in the first half. It's a mystery of how a nation with some of the best players in Europe struggles so much to put the ball in the back of the net.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I haven't been following their group.
How likely is it, they qualify?

Fenomeno9

Sampaoli needs time to fix this team. He only been there 3 games.

jetlee

I would say it is more than likely they qualify but it's because of the quality of their players, and they have to make it count real soon.
They are in fifth, playoff place and they have 2 games left. Against Peru (4th place now) at home an then Ecuador (8th) away.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Argentina have plenty of talented creative midfielders too. Banega, Pastore, Vazquez, and Lanzini are all good. I just don't understand why they are so reliant on one player to create everything.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its quite likely they'll qualify without needing the playoff vs Oceania or whatever its called. They are 5th with 4 auto qualifiers and 5th going into the playoff. Had they taken a couple of chances the last night they'd be 3rd.
They are only behind Peru on goals scored and 1 point ahead of struggling Chile. I'd fancy in the end both Argentina and Chile will pip Peru. When Argentina face Ecuador its is likely they will have nothing to play for if the lose to Chile. If they beat Chile and Argentina beat Peru (it will give them a 4 point cushion Chile). They've made hard work of it but they will fall over the line.
Fixtures left:
Argentina: (H) Peru, (A) Ecuador
Peru: (A) Argentina, (h) Colombia
Chile: (H) Ecuador, (A) Brazil

tekkers3

As a New Zealander hoping to see Messi live, I hope they qualify 5th and come to NZ for the play off.

On the other had I would say New Zealand's only chance of getting to the world cup is by playing Peru, as both Chile and Argentina should be too good, especially at home

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Confirmed lineup vs Peru

A lot more emphasis on creativity (Paredes, Banega, Papu) and less emphasis on defensive solidity (Biglia).

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Aguero, Dybala, and Icardi have all been on fire for their clubs. Weird to not have them in the lineup although it was obvious something had to change.

Nice to see Papu get a chance.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Aguero, Dybala, and Icardi have all been on fire for their clubs. Weird to not have them in the lineup although it was obvious something had to change.

Nice to see Papu get a chance.
Aguero is injured.

tekkers3

Any predictions or hints that Argentina will play to their expectations today?

I am from New Zealand and am closely following this as the 5th place team will play us :) still not sure who we would have a better (still low) chance of beating, but would be incredible if the Argentinian superstars came here..

izec

Benedetto is the odd one out, but lets see. I expect Dybala and Icardi to come on at some point when Argentina will have problems scoring again.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Feck my life.

Is everyone ready for the sideways and back-pass show?

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
Benedetto is the odd one out, but lets see. I expect Dybala and Icardi to come on at some point when Argentina will have problems scoring again.
Lol the same Benedetto that was playing in Mexico recently??? Above Dybala and icardi?? Goodness me talk about wasting talent

Womp

idiot
What's with Argentina and overlooking Dybala and Icardi? Who imo should be among their best players.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Pathetic as always, only difference is Messi is also having a poor game which usually isnt a case....but amazing thing is, even on a poor day he created two good and only chances for them:lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Messi was extremely bad (probably the worst on the pitch) when the game started, but last 10 minutes he was very threatening, both the run+shot and the lobbed pass. Mascherano is holding the team together. All the attacking players are absolutely awful, AdM included, and especially the left flank.

Gasolin

Come on Argentina, I can't imagine a world cup without Messi.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Watching Argentina should make everyone understand that it's not just England that struggle. International football is tough.
Specially in this forum, international football is ridicously underrated

freeurmind

weak willed
Fernando Gago?
Specially in this forum, international football is ridicously underrated
I don't think people dispute how difficult it is but United supporters don't have the best relationship with the national team.

Bojan11

Their manager seems to be stuck up his own arse.

They seem to have hired a lot of managers like that since Pekerman.

Tapori

Fernando Gago?

I don't think people dispute how difficult it is but United supporters don't have the best relationship with the national team.
Oh aye, not for a second denying that. Just after criticism of the Eng NT can be OTT in terms of performances.

How you can't have Aguero is baffling though. Argentina at times are like the Pakistan of football.

freeurmind

weak willed
Oh aye, not for a second denying that. Just after criticism of the Eng NT can be OTT in terms of performances.

How you can't have Aguero is baffling though. Argentina at times are like the Pakistan of football.
No Aguero, Icardi, Dybala or even Higuain. Crazy.

Aza Boy

Lucky Argentina, Colombia is 1-2 down to Paraguay...need to sack, Sampaioli...dont get it, used to be a legendary coach in Argentina. Menotti, Bilardo.Perhaps, it is time to Simeone moved from ATM to train this weak-mentally Super Stars....

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
they can go through with 0:0 in the last game so they had a lot of luck with other results...