Argentina NT

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I have almost zero expectations for this team and I am still left disappointed.

Gago injuring himself 4 minutes after coming on just about sums up the night.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Incredible. What's the background to that?
Aguero got in a car accident. Icardi and Dybala are deemed too young for such an important game. Higuain was left home after a slow start to his season with Juve.

freeurmind

weak willed
Incredible. What's the background to that?
Not sure. Sampaoli was hired as coach, had a few iffy results and then started picking the locally based strikers. I think they have too many forwards, they just need to pick 2 to play with Messi.

Womp

idiot
Aguero got in a car accident. Icardi and Dybala are deemed too young for such an important game. Higuain was left home after a slow start to his season with Juve.
Dybala played against the best team on the planet in a CL final only a year ago. He is single handedly carrying Juve's attack this season and is one of the most in form players on the planet. There has to be some sort of politics or something going on when it comes to the Argentinian FA.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Dybala played against the best team on the planet in a CL final only a year ago. He is single handedly carrying Juve's attack this season and is one of the most in form players on the planet. There has to be some sort of politics or something going on when it comes to the Argentinian FA.
This is the national team that made Maradona manager for a world cup who bemused everyone with his selections and tactics. So it's nothing new that Argentina pick the wrong players and play without any system.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This game was played at Boca Juniors stadium and Benedetto is their striker.

So yeah, there's that...

Sampaoli didn't play Paredes either because he was deemed too inexperienced, instead he played the uninspiring Biglia.

notcool

Supports
a
Higuain can't press like Sampaoli wants, Icardi picked up a knock and Dybala supposedly can't play with Messi.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They're in a much better position than what it seems actually. If they win they go through but even if they draw or lose they still have their chances. Conmebol is a mess

Frank Grimes

They're in a much better position than what it seems actually. If they win they go through but even if they draw or lose they still have their chances. Conmebol is a mess
I would say the fact that so many teams are still in a chance of qualifying means it's healthy and competitive, Conmebol that is.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

ACL rupture for Gago, out for 6-8 months :(

Finally he gets called up again to the NT and this happens to him 5 minutes after coming on..

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I would say the fact that so many teams are still in a chance of qualifying means it's healthy and competitive, Conmebol that is.
I meant it's a mess to figure out all the possible scenarios :lol:

Conmebol in general is awesome. Easily the best qualifiers in the world

RAVred

Not that good of a chance honestly... They have to win against Ecuador away, hell even a draw isnt an easy thing to do for a team thats playing like this (a few decent teams in Conmebol have lost to them IIRC).

A draw isn't good enough, hell even a win may not be. A draw would require all other results to pretty much work out for them

RooneyLegend

They are a mess but the coach isn't helping. Needing goals and having icardi and Dybala on the bench is madness. Needing some creativity and not involving Lanzini is madness.

Schneckerl

Not that good of a chance honestly... They have to win against Ecuador away, hell even a draw isnt an easy thing to do for a team thats playing like this (a few decent teams in Conmebol have lost to them IIRC).

A draw isn't good enough, hell even a win may not be. A draw would require all other results to pretty much work out for them
A win means they are at least 5th and get to play New Zealand.

3 match days ago I though the talk about Argentina not making it was overblown, now it looks like there is a legit chance they actually miss out.

jungledrums

Does a draw ensure they finish 5th at least? Or if they draw is there still a chance they'll miss out altogether on the play offs?

Schneckerl

Does a draw ensure they finish 5th at least?
No. It likely wouldn't be enough.

A draw is enough if in addition 2 out of those 3 results happen: 1) Chile loses by more than 2 goals @ Brazil 2) Paraguay doesn't win vs Venezuela 3) Colombia wins @ Peru.

Argentina 5 last WCQ results in Ecuador with most recent first.

D
L
L
W
L

Chances of Brazil fielding a B-team and trying not to win on purpose?

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's amazing how a manager can ignore two top class forwards because they are too 'inexperienced' for an important game even though they have been consistently great in one of the best leagues in the world for more than a couple of years.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Does a draw ensure they finish 5th at least? Or if they draw is there still a chance they'll miss out altogether on the play offs?
They need to win to be sure of fifth place, a draw will only be enough if several different conditions are met (it's explained above). Ecuador have nothing to play for which works in Argentina's favour but those South American teams hardly ever give up and let you win.

notcool

Supports
a
It's amazing how a manager can ignore two top class forwards because they are too 'inexperienced' for an important game even though they have been consistently great in one of the best leagues in the world for more than a couple of years.
He didn't ignore them because they were too young. Icardi got injured and Dybala is considered too similar to Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They need to win to be sure of fifth place, a draw will only be enough if several different conditions are met (it's explained above). Ecuador have nothing to play for which works in Argentina's favour but those South American teams hardly ever give up and let you win.
A win almost guarantees qualification without playoffs.

Blackwidow

I guess weather conditions etc. play a big role and for sure travelling. But as Brazil did not have any problems I think that a lot of the bigger teams have issues right now. The competivity is not there because so many teams are that good but because the teams like e.g. Uruguay, Chile or Argentina are substandard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He didn't ignore them because they were too young. Icardi got injured and Dybala is considered too similar to Messi.
There is a cat and mouse game going on. Sampoli said Icardi is injured, Spaletti said he isn't.

I think Sampaoli is wrong”, Spalletti said.

“I don’t think he is not playing well, I have to say I see no decline nor physical problems. He was perfect in the last game.”

notcool

Supports
a
There is a cat and mouse game going on. Sampoli said Icardi is injured, Spaletti said he isn't.
Well, Sampaoli, I think, only said 'physical problem' and not 'injury' so perhaps he wants a certain fitness from Icardi to play his energetic, pressing game. However, I've read that Sampaoli prefers Icardi over Higuain so I doubt he wouldn't want Icardi in the team either because of not suiting his style or any other reason.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
His teammates were fine, the chances they missed was mostly great goalkeeping and defending. Messi missed his chances too

You've got to wonder if things would have been different with Icardi on the pitch though

Aboutreika18

Not sure why people are bemoaning Aguero and Higuain being left out.

They've never convinced at International level and never been able to replicate their goalscoring form at club level for the NT.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Us missing the world cup isnt that strange considering we have a shite squad, but how are Argentina doing this poorly with those players?

Bole Top

Us missing the world cup isnt that strange considering we have a shite squad, but how are Argentina doing this poorly with those players?
they're just badly managed team that don't have the luxury of playing in group with Latvia, Andorra and San Marino like their European rivals. South American qualifiers are tough and it's harder to mask your weaknesses.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
they're just badly managed team that don't have the luxury of playing in group with Latvia, Andorra and San Marino like their European rivals. South American qualifiers are tough and it's harder to mask your weaknesses.
You make it sound like Bolivia and Venezuela are actually decent teams :P

Bole Top

they aren't, but they are more likely to hold Brazil or Argentina than Latvia, San Marino, Gibraltar, Andora etc. especially Bolivia. somehow I doubt Argentina would be struggling to score against those nations.

Zlatattack

I love watching Messi play football. He's hypnotic! I think Argentina failing to qualify has to be put down to the coach. Look at that attacking talent.

They could play Arguero, Messi, Dybala, Icardi, Di Maria and then play 5 fans from the stands and still have a decent team!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Isn't Bolivia one of the toughest places to go for an away match due to their altitude or something? But considering 4 teams go through, and iirc the 5th gets a playoff, Argentina really shouldn't be struggling.

But again, it seems every manager ends up mismanaging them somehow, as it's not just their tactics, but their squad is fairly imbalanced too (top heavy), IMO. I'm sure they had high hopes with Sampoali taking over - but I guess patience is needed. He hasn't been in the job that long.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Hard to disagree when you mention Gibraltar, Andorra or San Marino :D
Latvia has a very decente team... if the sport is basketball :D

Isn't Bolivia one of the toughest places to go for an away match due to their altitude or something? But considering 4 teams go through, and iirc the 5th gets a playoff, Argentina really shouldn't be struggling.

But again, it seems every manager ends up mismanaging them somehow, as it's not just their tactics, but their squad is fairly imbalanced too (top heavy), IMO. I'm sure they had high hopes with Sampoali taking over - but I guess patience is needed. He hasn't been in the job that long.
In a perfect world, Argentina players would spend a few hours in chambers to adjust themsleves to the oxigen level of Bolivia. Unfortunatelly, international football is a mess in pre-match arrangements. There's barely time to make a couple of training sessions before the matchs, since mos of the players comes from Europe and will spend 8+ hours on a bloody plane to get to any suth american country.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
True, but the first five countries go through. Ok number 5 will play New Zealand, but still.