Argentina NT

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's a formation in training.

They're playing Italy in Manchester on Friday.

Raru9

I looking foward to see what Sampaoli introduces a very good squad with the best player of the world. A few thoght that Argentina would reach a final in 2014. With better players and players maybe this time.....

Too bad that in the Eliminatorias Argentina was in risk to get out, so much pressure and little time to work to the WC, not like Brazil or Uruguay.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Strange to call them dark horses but I think they have a solid shout of winning it.

All they need is luck to go on their side and I'd say they are strong enough to reach the semis at least. If Messi plays the way he's played all season, then I think he'll be instrumental.

You just know that it's written in the stars that he'll just end up winning this thing with a game winning goal. It just seems too perfect of a fairy tale.

They have the attack to threaten any defence in the world, it's just whether their defence and midfield can back it up.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Their path to the world cup will be insanely difficult, unlike in 2014

Charles Miller

I looking foward to see what Sampaoli introduces a very good squad with the best player of the world. A few thoght that Argentina would reach a final in 2014. With better players and players maybe this time.....

Too bad that in the Eliminatorias Argentina was in risk to get out, so much pressure and little time to work to the WC, not like Brazil or Uruguay.
About the little time for Sampaoli to prepare his team i agree with you.

About the pressure, the Brazilian nt always play under much more pressure than Argentina.

LLMU

I would love to see this team win the next World Cup as i always have a soft spot for Argentina (probably due to the jersey) and also at least a bright spark after seeing them lose two World Cup finals in my lifetime so far.

Heath.1967

They could win the world cup, in my opinion they have so many elite class-world class players: Messi, Dybala, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, Banega, Mascherano, Rojo, Otamendi, Romero

Last edited by a moderator:

Raru9

About the little time for Sampaoli to prepare his team i agree with you.

About the pressure, the Brazilian nt always play under much more pressure than Argentina.
I mean the pressure on Argentina's squad to get out in the Eliminatorias.

Obviously the Brazil's squad has pressure on doing a decent WC, but in the Eliminatorias since Tite came, was a easy and very good perfomance.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They could win the world cup, in my opinion they have so many elite class-world class players: Messi, Dybala, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, Banega, Mascherano, Rojo, Otamendi, Romero
Half those players aren’t elite world class players, imo.

They can field a WC attack, hell probably even 2, but what’s behind them is where they fall short in quality.

That being said, Rojo, Otamendi, Paredes, Mascherano (if he’s still playing), Banega etc isn’t a bad lot to have. They just need to be defensively solid and play as a unit. Something I think Sampaoli can achieve.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mascherano was world class in 2014, nowhere near that now I'm afraid. Think his presence at the back is going to be a problem for them.

Rojo, Otamendi and Romero are all solid players, wouldn't put them anywhere near the world class bracket though.

Trouble with the others is it's exactly to me like Gerrard-Lampard era for England. These players are brilliant for their clubs but as soon as they put the Argentina shirt on they go to pieces mentally.

Higuain haunted by his misses in the major finals for them even if his overall record is decent, Dybala can't get a start because Messi is in his space and Icardi keeps hitting the keeper with chances he'd score with his eyes closed for Inter.

This video of them playing Venezuela is a good summary of their issues.....some of the chances Icardi misses here:

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Goalkeeper,defence and midfield are still not good. You can have all the firepower in the world and it won’t matter one bit when the problems are so obvious all over the rest of the pitch:

- Federico Fazio will likely start next to Otamendi, with Argentina playing a very high line. Disaster waiting to happen.

- Mercado at RB doesn’t have a single offensive bone in his body. Tagliafico on LB is interesting but hasn’t played at this level before and a couple of months in the Eredivisie won’t change much.

- A central midfield pairing of Biglia and Banega are nowhere near good enough against the big boys, that’s why Messi again and again have to come deep to get the ball, usually the whole opposing team is between him and the goal when he receives it.

Would be nice if Paredes and Lanzini manage to impress this international break, I like them. Would be nice if Ascacibar made the WC,although extremely unlikely.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
This video of them playing Venezuela is a good summary of their issues.....some of the chances Icardi misses here:
Was even worse against Peru, with worldclass striker Dario Benedetto leading the line. Messi created 4-5 clear cut chances a that were all missed.

Having Messi is a blessing in disguise; him playing usually results in the opponent parking the bus and makes the defence look much better than they really are. In the last friendly, vs Nigeria, Messi wasn’t playing; 4 goals conceded, could’ve been even more.

Javi

As long as they have Messi they will always be in with a shout for the WC. Helps that they have loads of other great players too. The constellation is what recent history would suggest as 'classic' Argentina because the unknown factor is still the coach. Does he have successful tactics in place and is he able to implement them? I guess we'll see. I'm no Argentina fan but I'm surely looking forward to seeing them play at the WC with their great players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
People are far too focused on their poor show in the qualifiers, meanwhile during those qualifiers they made the final of the copa america where they lost on penalties

Before that, they lost on penalties in the final of the Copa

Before that they lost a WC final in extra time to germany

In all 3 finals they were missing their second-best player(Di Maria) and Aguero. In all 3 finals they missed huge chances that would have likely won them the game.

They should be among the 3 big favourites in Russia together with Brazil and Germany

bebeanderson

Argentina reminds me of Brazil in 2002. The media scrutiny, nobody believes in us team. Brazil also had basically no practice time in the new 3-5-2 system, and had domestic players with huge question marks such as Kleberson and Gilberto Silva.

The only difference is, if we equate Messi to Ronaldo, Argentina needs a “Rivaldo” to step up and carry the other load. That could be Higuain or Aguero but they seem too passive to take matters in their own hands. Rivaldo kind of feuded with Ronaldo and secretly thought he was better (as in all his career, lol), they famously were competing for who would be top scorer. That edge was a necessary evil in that campaign. I feel like Argentina needs a forward who’d say Piss Off to Messi and take a 30 yard shot or something..

Cafu and R.Carlos sort of provided the leadership, while Ronaldinho entering his prime provided flair and athleticism. I think Mascherano needs to do a better job at being a leader and Di Maria could emulate some of the things Ronaldinho did, maybe.

Last edited:

Raru9

Romero: He's a good GK but not as the same level as De Gea, Manuel Neuer... But always make a good perfomance in his NT.

Fazio, Mercado: Not bad CB and RB. Not top, but very good players.

Rojo: I think is good player but as good as Fazio or Mercado.

Tagliaffico: Is a young player who can be better in the coming years.

Masherano: Like said up, he was world class in 2014 but today..... Lacks a bit of all. And i don't think he gonna play as CB, but like MCD.

Bigllia: Normal player.

Banega: Again, not a bad player at all. He is very good. But very irregular, motsly with the NT.

Di Maria: Was world class in 2014, now is one or two step down.

Sergio, Messi even Higuian when he is focus are top players.

Overall, is not a bad squad, who had the better attack on the paper.

TheReligion

Abusive
Should be a good one, watching Messi live is always an honour. Italy got some young players in their squad aswell finally.

Would probably pop up if it was a Saturday match.
Hope so. Got the tickets on a whim so thought I'd brave the council house all for what will hopefully be a good game.

Anyone else to look out for live on either team?

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Argentina reminds me of Brazil in 2002. The media scrutiny, nobody believes in us team. Brazil also had basically no practice time in the new 3-5-2 system, and had domestic players with huge question marks such as Kleberson and Gilberto Silva.

The only difference is, if we equate Messi to Ronaldo, Argentina needs a “Rivaldo” to step up and carry the other load. That could be Higuain or Aguero but they seem too passive to take matters in their own hands. Rivaldo kind of feuded with Ronaldo and secretly thought he was better (as in all his career, lol), they famously were competing for who would be top scorer. That edge was a necessary evil in that campaign. I feel like Argentina needs a forward who’d say Piss Off to Messi and take a 30 yard shot or something..

Cafu and R.Carlos sort of provided the leadership, while Ronaldinho entering his prime provided flair and athleticism. I think Mascherano needs to do a better job at being a leader and Di Maria could emulate some of the things Ronaldinho did, maybe.
Mascherano is as good as retired. Let's not compare cafu and Roberto Carlos with Tagliafico and Mercado, please. Two of the best fullbacks in recent times against players that look average for Europa league teams.

And that maybe is totally not. Di Maria is good , but not even a psg starter.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think Mascherano might surprise a few people, he's definitely preparing himself for this and it's going to be the last big tournament of his career. His experience and leadership would be very useful too.

IFC 1905

Yeah it also happens to me really. No one speaks about that but I find the context (not the players) very similar.

IFC 1905

Which part you dont think so?

Argentina is way more pasional than Brasil from what I've seen. If for example, the 7-1 happened to the Argentinian team, none of those guys would be able to put a foot in argentine soil. At least, and this is serious, none of them would be playing nowadays, bar Messi.

Argentinian people and journalists are way more demanding than the brazilian ones from what I've seen, we do live football as a matter of death and life. I've met a lot of guys from Brazil who doesn't like football at all, or doesn't like Brazil as their team. That isn't common here to be honest.

So the pressure these kids are carrying with them is so high that a guy like Messi who's able to score from half way line to a little training goal, could miss a penalty in a final.

Charles Miller

Argentina is way more pasional than Brasil from what I've seen. If for example, the 7-1 happened to the Argentinian team, none of those guys would be able to put a foot in argentine soil. At least, and this is serious, none of them would be playing nowadays, bar Messi.

Argentinian people and journalists are way more demanding than the brazilian ones from what I've seen, we do live football as a matter of death and life. I've met a lot of guys from Brazil who doesn't like football at all, or doesn't like Brazil as their team. That isn't common here to be honest.

So the pressure these kids are carrying with them is so high that a guy like Messi who's able to score from half way line to a little training goal, could miss a penalty in a final.
I use to follow argentinian media, Mitre, Fantino, Mariano Closs, Gustavo Lopez, etc, and i agree they are more pasional. In Brazil traditionally the middle class dont want to be linked with the football world, and this is the main difference with other football countries and probably explain the people you have met.

But still i think the pressure over the Brazilian players is bigger because that 1-7 in 2014.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I use to follow argentinian media, Mitre, Fantino, Mariano Closs, Gustavo Lopez, etc, and i agree they are more pasional. In Brazil traditionally the middle class dont want to be linked with the football world, and this is the main difference with other football countries and probably explain the people you have met.

But still i think the pressure over the Brazilian players is bigger because that 1-7 in 2014.
Actually don't agree at all the pressure is bigger for Argentinian players than Brazilians, I don't know what would have happened with Scolari in 2002 if we was eliminated from the group stage as Bielsa...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Whats this about Dybala possibly not making the WC squad?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Isnt there a better CM than Biglia to play for Argentina? Everytime ive seen him i just find him so average

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Whats this about Dybala possibly not making the WC squad?
He'll probably make the squad, but it's tricky to find a place in the first XI for him. On 5Live they were talking about him having said he finds it hard to play with Messi as they occupy the same space. They have more pressing problems in that they have a deep defensive line that makes it harder for Messi to positively affect the game. So players like Dybala are a bit of a luxury.

RedDevil@84

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43380161

"This is going to be his team," Sampaoli said, before his side's friendly against Italy on Friday.

"Messi is the best of all and is in a stage of maturity that can he can carry the team on his shoulders. It is more his team than mine."

This is not the first time Sampaoli is making it all about Messi. I don't know why he needs to go overboard with it. Messi has lots to contribute, but the team does not just start and end with him.
Last WC, if not for heroics of Mascherano and Di Maria, Argentina would have struggled to clear knockouts and reach the finals.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Isnt there a better CM than Biglia to play for Argentina? Everytime ive seen him i just find him so average
Biglia is one of those NT players who just can’t seem to get dropped, like Joe Hart or Podolski. He is apparently good friends with Messi too.

I personally rate Paredes higher.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
This is not the first time Sampaoli is making it all about Messi. I don't know why he needs to go overboard with it. Messi has lots to contribute, but the team does not just start and end with him.
Last WC, if not for heroics of Mascherano and Di Maria, Argentina would have struggled to clear knockouts and reach the finals.
It can help the squad to be more confident about having him playing for Argentina, like every major tournament they're in most attention is going to be in Messi anyway. Then it can also be detrimental if they base their whole system around him and he has a bad game or just make the team over reliant on him and stop trying things on their own.