Argentina NT

El Pasillo

They could win the world cup, in my opinion they have so many elite class-world class players: Messi, Dybala, Higuain, Aguero, Di Maria, Banega, Mascherano, Rojo, Otamendi, Romero
Aside Messi, the rest of their attacking players hardly turns up for the NT unfortunately despite delivering at their respective clubs.

This is not the first time Sampaoli is making it all about Messi. I don't know why he needs to go overboard with it. Messi has lots to contribute, but the team does not just start and end with him.
Last WC, if not for heroics of Mascherano and Di Maria, Argentina would have struggled to clear knockouts and reach the finals.
Sampaoli's statement about Messi is completely justified tbh.

There's no shadow of doubt that Messi is the best & valuable player for Argentina.

Messi has consistently bailed them out countless of times for them as we saw during WC-qualifers. They would have probably not made it without Messi.

You're right that Mascherano was brilliant for them during last WC, but then so were other Argentina players at the back.

And why do you suggest that Di Maria was even close to be important as Messi in their attacking play during WC?

Di Maria was more or less non-existent throughout the group-stage and had a horrible overall performance despite his winning goal vs. Switzerland.

Last edited:

bebeanderson

Aside Messi, the rest of their attacking players hardly turns up for the NT unfortunately despite being great at their respective clubs.

There's no shadow of doubt that Messi is the best & valuable player for Argentina.

Messi has consistently bailed them out countless of times for them as we saw during WC-qualifers. They would have probably not made it without Messi.

You're right that Mascherano was brilliant for them during last WC, but then so did other Argentina players at the back.

And why do you suggest that Di Maria was even close to be important as Messi during WC?
Even if it’s true that Messi is the best, I think the constant mentioning of it by the coach and players creates a lazy environment where nobody else takes responsibilities and keeps themselves in check.

Raru9

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43380161

"This is going to be his team," Sampaoli said, before his side's friendly against Italy on Friday.

"Messi is the best of all and is in a stage of maturity that can he can carry the team on his shoulders. It is more his team than mine."

This is not the first time Sampaoli is making it all about Messi. I don't know why he needs to go overboard with it. Messi has lots to contribute, but the team does not just start and end with him.
Last WC, if not for heroics of Mascherano and Di Maria, Argentina would have struggled to clear knockouts and reach the finals.

In Brazil 2014, if not for Messi, Argentina not reach best 16.

Di Maria was good, but againts Switzerland was the excellent play and assits of Messi that put that chance to Di Maria.

Masherano was esplendid againste Bélgica, but again, Messi was influencial in the playmaking of the goal.

Semis was very very closed. Both teams was more worried to keep a clean sheet that score a goal. Sergio Romero here in penaltys was all.

But, i agree that if Di Maria were playing the final against Germany, the WC is for Argentina.

RedDevil@84

Aside Messi, the rest of their attacking players hardly turns up for the NT unfortunately despite delivering at their respective clubs.

You're right that Mascherano was brilliant for them during last WC, but then so were other Argentina players at the back.

And why do you suggest that Di Maria was even close to be important as Messi in their attacking play during WC?

Di Maria was more or less non-existent throughout the group-stage and had a horrible overall performance despite his winning goal vs. Switzerland.
I am not saying Messi is not the best and most important player, but this is not the first time the coach is saying such stuff. From his words it seems the tactic is to just give the ball to Messi and let him do the rest. And Messi has some kind of responsibility to make everyone tick while coach has limited.
Firstly it is too much pressure on Messi and then creates a set of players who would start thinking, why work hard when it is all about Messi.

Schneckerl

Everytime I'm looking at their squad I can't get over the fact how fecking average their midfield is.

Twenty years ago they had Veron, Simeone, Almeyda and ofc Redondo who didn't play.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
same old story, they choose average players, who play in the Argentine league, which is of a very low level. Unexplained choices.
Pablo Perez, Maxi Meza? Come on man!
No Dybala an Icardi, two of the best player in the world right now.

Charles Miller

I agree they dont need call players from Argentina league, but its harsh to say their domestic football is "very low level". In terms of individual quality it could be, because as any South American country their best players are in europe; but in terms of tactics its a very rich league.

I bet guys like Ariel Holan(Independiente) or Marcelo Gallardo(River) would do a better job in PSG that what they have now. I suspect they would do a better job in another big european club, but i'm not gonna say which club, in order to not create a meltdown here.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I agree they dont need call players from Argentina league, but its harsh to say their domestic football is "very low level". In terms of individual quality it could be, because as any South American country their best players are in europe; but in terms of tactics its a very rich league.
Those who say those kind of things don't even know the quantity of high level coaches Argentina has atm, imo only Italy and Germany can claim they are better on that department.

IFC 1905

I use to follow argentinian media, Mitre, Fantino, Mariano Closs, Gustavo Lopez, etc, and i agree they are more pasional.4.

As we say it in spanish, they are "bad milk". They do it on purpose, with bad intentions.

That's why they celebrated with this chant (among others) after the Ecuador match

"And I don't care what they say
those f*cking journalists, those motherf**kers
oh, oh! we must support La Seleccion!
We must support until death!
Because I love Argentina, it's a feeling
that I carry within my heart
..and I don't care what they say
those f*cking journalists..."

IFC 1905

same old story, they choose average players, who play in the Argentine league, which is of a very low level. Unexplained choices.
What are you talking about? Maxi Meza is a great player, sadly he'll go to Europe soon. And he has nothing to do with Icardi or Dybala in terms of position and playstyle....he's not replacing them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43380161

"This is going to be his team," Sampaoli said, before his side's friendly against Italy on Friday.

"Messi is the best of all and is in a stage of maturity that can he can carry the team on his shoulders. It is more his team than mine."

They would have gone out in the group stage without Messi in 2004.

I imagine the idea is to take the pressure off the rest of the squad or something. Because Messi will always have that anyway. Funnily the player himself would benefit from everyone sharing responsibility.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even if it’s true that Messi is the best, I think the constant mentioning of it by the coach and players creates a lazy environment where nobody else takes responsibilities and keeps themselves in check.
Agree.

Charles Miller

As we say it in spanish, they are "bad milk". They do it on purpose, with bad intentions.

That's why they celebrated with this chant (among others) after the Ecuador match

"And I don't care what they say
those f*cking journalists, those motherf**kers
We must support until death!
Because I love Argentina, it's a feeling
that I carry within my heart
..and I don't care what they say
those f*cking journalists..."
I watched that. I was follow more the Argentinian media than the Brazilian these days, because Brazil was already in the wc and our last games were really boring.

My opinion as a neutral is that people like Mariano Closs, Gustavo Lopez and Fantino(even Liberman) are honest journalists and have no intention to harm the nt. Only thing is that they dont accept be just fanboys and PR of the players. That guy Agnelo from Radio Mitre is nos trustable imo.

Also, i dont know if there's any translation for "mala leche", but i doubt it would be bad milk:lol:

RedDevil@84

They would have gone out in the group stage without Messi in 2004.

I imagine the idea is to take the pressure off the rest of the squad or something. Because Messi will always have that anyway. Funnily the player himself would benefit from everyone sharing responsibility.
Yes, agree about the group stage in last WC.

I somehow feel that saying it is all about Messi, repeatedly, won't help the team much.

IFC 1905

My opinion as a neutral is that people like Mariano Closs, Gustavo Lopez and Fantino(even Liberman) are honest journalists and have no intention to harm the nt.

Also, i dont know if there's any translation for "mala leche", but i doubt it would be bad milk:lol:

All those you mentioned are the worst of them all dude :lol::lol: specially Fantino and Liberman who is like Peyroteo but in fox sports

I didn't know how to translate it too kkkkk that's why I said it literally

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Tagliafico, Bustos, Paredes, Lo Celso... at least new young players are being tried out in positions where Argentina struggles (fullback and midfield).

bebeanderson

Tagliafico, Bustos, Paredes, Lo Celso... at least new young players are being tried out in positions where Argentina struggles (fullback and midfield).
I've only watched this Bustos kids once, and he was all over the place defensively. Taglafico is also slow, so is Fazio. Interesting to see when they face a fast team.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Di Maria was good, but againts Switzerland was the excellent play and assits of Messi that put that chance to Di Maria.

Masherano was esplendid againste Bélgica, but again, Messi was influencial in the playmaking of the goal.

Semis was very very closed. Both teams was more worried to keep a clean sheet that score a goal. Sergio Romero here in penaltys was all.

But, i agree that if Di Maria were playing the final against Germany, the WC is for Argentina.
Mascherano was brilliant against the Dutch I forgot, if it wasn't for that last ditch tackle on Robben you wouldn't have even played the final.

I think he should've got the golden ball ahead of Messi but of course Fifa wouldn't give it to a defensive midfielder.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
That was the best football I have seen Argentina play in a long time.

They can actually pass the ball around, and they have some proper fullbacks.

I know it's just a friendly, but Italy had plenty of great players on the pitch like Buffon, Bonucci, Rugani, Verratti, Jorginho, Insigne and Immobile. Argentina made them look average.

IFC 1905

Didn't like Fazio at all. Thought Bustos and Taglia were ok. Otamendi pretty well.

Didn't like Paredes and Biglia. Lo Celso had a great 1 st half.

Di Maria and Higuain horrible. Lautaro didn't even play a minute....come on you bald headed..

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Was a bit shaky in the first part of the second half, gave Italy chances for fun. But all in all a deserved win.
Caballero, Tagliafico and Lanzini, in particular, stood out IMO. Oh Higuian as well, but on the other end of the scale. Disappointing that Paredes didn't do more when he got the rare start.

Would have liked to see Ascacibar get a chance, his quick feet could be life saving when we get countered on (which is likely to happen a lot at the WC).

Caballero

Bustos/Mercado - Otamendi - ? - Tagliafico

Ascacibar - Banega

Di Maria - Messi - Lanzini

?

bebeanderson

That was the best football I have seen Argentina play in a long time.

They can actually pass the ball around, and they have some proper fullbacks.

I know it's just a friendly, but Italy had plenty of great players on the pitch like Buffon, Bonucci, Rugani, Verratti, Jorginho, Insigne and Immobile. Argentina made them look average.
Lol come on man, this was an awful Italy team

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah just like in 2010, when Argentina won 0-4 against Germany with DiMaria. :lol:

Classical Mechanic

They truly awesome attacking options but the rest of the side is pretty underwhelming. You wouldn't be surprised to see them win it but also wouldn't be surprised if they went out as soon as they faced a live dog.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah just like in 2010, when Argentina won 0-4 against Germany with DiMaria. :lol:
Maradona was the manager

He played two wingers (Di Maria and Maxi Rodriguez) in central midfield, and left Cambiasso at home.

He played 21 year old Otamendi at right back and left Zanetti at home.

Terrible coach.

TheReligion

Abusive
Probably because he wanted to see Messi play live for the first time.

Don’t blame him. I’d be annoyed too.
Yep. Could have at least given him 10 minutes.

TBF Messi could have come and warmed up and greeted the fans too. Pretty shitty to be honest. Ronaldo would have.

Mr Smith

Dybala will be on the plane, don't you worry. Out of curiosity though, where would you fit him in? Dybala is effectively Messi's heir with the NT, and trying to fit them into the same XI has so far caused more headaches than solutions.