Argentina NT

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
apparently they are waaay below international standard, according to the manager. I think Banega returning from injury though and he left out Pastore from the squad
Sampaoli has gone totally nuts as Lo Celso played in most of the warm up games and was regular for PSG after xmas.

Benega is part of Di Maria, Higuain generation but he still had plenty of good games for Sevilla last season (Old Trafford for one) and he improved Argentina when he came on v Iceland.

Stacks

Sampaoli has gone totally nuts as Lo Celso played in most of the warm up games and was regular for PSG after xmas.

Benega is part of Di Maria, Higuain generation but he still had plenty of good games for Sevilla last season (Old Trafford for one) and he improved Argentina when he came on v Iceland.
He's a Maverick manager like LVG.

IFC 1905

So, any Argentinian to confirm what is actually going on?

There is not a good relationship between the players and Sampaoli. The players don't feel comfortable with some of his decisions. They had a meeting which involved everyone where they exposed their differences and swore to give everything to win this last match.

Then the media and some people from outside tried to make it look like coup d'etat. In my humble opinion it's all due to political things, people from outside who want to have the power over the FA. It's all really dirty though.

IFC 1905

If both Ronaldo and Messi played together in that team, they'd still struggle. Played horrendously in every part of the pitch.
If ronaldo played in this team there's no way he would score a single goal.

Maybe he would've converted the penalty Messis missed but that's all.

The entire team has no football.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I remember how sampaoli played with Chile and i thought this Argentina team with the players they have upfront was gonna run away with the wc.

Its amazing how a bad relationship between players and manager can ruin the football you play

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They just need to win by a goal margin to go through, basically. It's a funny old game, isn't it?

Chicharo

There is not a good relationship between the players and Sampaoli. The players don't feel comfortable with some of his decisions. They had a meeting which involved everyone where they exposed their differences and swore to give everything to win this last match.

Then the media and some people from outside tried to make it look like coup d'etat. In my humble opinion it's all due to political things, people from outside who want to have the power over the FA. It's all really dirty though.
Yeah, it is understandable.
Anyway, as always, best of luck, win it. Ok, relationship is not good, but then, Leo, show why you are the best
Any info about the lineup?

MJJ

If ronaldo played in this team there's no way he would score a single goal.

Maybe he would've converted the penalty Messis missed but that's all.

The entire team has no football.
Please, you are seriously underrating messi's passing and ronaldo's off the ball movement.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
They'll probably get knocked out by France in the next round anyway, but it'll still be good to seeing a fightback from them. Show some effort. Anything.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Sure they'll come to their senses if Bauza is prepared to be flown in.;)

Grande

I do think the critique has gone a bit over the top with Argentina this WC so far.

Yes, not beating Iceland is disappointing, but breaking down a fully charged Iceland is not easy, something The Netherlands, Turkey, Czech Republik, Portugal, Austria, England, Ukraine, Croatia and now Argentina can testify to. Messi scoring a penalty would give Argentina an underwhelming victory in their opener, which would put them on par with France, England, Uruguay, and above Germany, Brazil and Spain at that point, all favorites neither of whom played convincingly in their first game.

Croatia was a semi final tip of mine to begin with, so I expected them to beat Argentina on Russian soil. Up until the first goal, gifted by a madmans fluke miss, I thought Argentina was the better team in a tight game, producing the best chances and controlling the terms of the play. They should have been 2-1 or 3-1 up with normal finishing or even just a little luck. When their reserve reserve keeper turned the game, Croatia could play to their strengths. In the end, frustration, desperation and stress got to the players got to the players, and it ended really badly.

I never counted this Argentine team as one of the favorites, looking at the squad, but up there on the level below with the likes of Portugal and Uruguay. With Messi scoring a pen, Meza hitting the open goal and Caballero hitting the ball, the stress and desperation we see now would look different. Argentina would be talked of as a runner up doing fairly well if not impressing. Playing in Russia and not Brazil, that would be hard to cricize much.

Of course, part of the problem seems to be that many Argentinians, including Maradona, seem to expect their team to be the best team in the world, and are constantly disappointed to the point of bitterness when the actual players play to their actual capabilities, more or less, and it is really easy to see how that affects Messi, the players and also the coaches.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think if they played without Messi today they'd do better.

Lam

Expect Messi to score a hattrick and Argentina to go through
Ronaldo v Messi to take a turn (at least till next Portugal game in which Ronaldo will score a brace for Portugal)...

padr81

Supports
Man City
Needs a goal, Aguero and Dybala on the bench 2 subs left, brings on Meza....

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Much rather see Iceland in the last sixteen than this crock of shit.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Much rather see Iceland in the last sixteen than this crock of shit.
Will be neither and Nigeria will deserve it too, much better than both Iceland and Argentina in whats been a poor group (Croatia aside)

MetoTTT

I knew the Argies will be "the sneaky way" in the 1/8 since Iceland lost vs Nigeria. I feel now for France who will play this team almost "dead"...back to life now.

wr8_utd

:'(
Di Maria, Mascherano and Higuain need to be left behind somewhere inhabitable.

predator

Youth NITK
So happy for Rojo but how was that not a handball against him earlier?
He did handball it. However he misheaded it and it hit his arm. There's no way he intended to head it into his arm instead of getting a clean contact header on it away from the box. The human body's reaction time is simply not fast enough to intentionally stop those sort of 'handballs'.

Steven7290

He did handball it. However he misheaded it and it hit his arm. There's no way he intended to head it into his arm instead of getting a clean contact header on it away from the box. The human body's reaction time is simply not fast enough to intentionally stop those sort of 'handballs'.
He headed it away and the ball hit his arm. Not deliberate
I know it's not deliberate, but so weren't other incidents from this same tournament that penalties were awarded for after VAR review.

Zoo

Mascherano needs to be dropped. He is a complete liability.