Argentina Thread : Milei wants NATO security cooperation

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What would suppose to close the central bank? is there any precedent? I believe that only iran and north korea don't have it but one thing is not having it and the other shut it down. What would that mean for the economy?

owlo

What would suppose to close the central bank? is there any precedent? I believe that only iran and north korea don't have it but one thing is not having it and the other shut it down. What would that mean for the economy?
tldr; Effective dollarisation and the gov only being able to spend what they earn [net] in tax receipts as they wouldn't be able to print money. Obvious hyperinflation of the peso. (ps. both Iran and the DPRK have one. Lack of independence is different from non existence.)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
tldr; Effective dollarisation and the gov only being able to spend what they earn [net] in tax receipts as they wouldn't be able to print money. Obvious hyperinflation of the peso. (ps. both Iran and the DPRK have one. Lack of independence is different from non existence.)
Thank you for the response

Question for the argentinians or whoever knows their political system. Countries like US, european countries and many others, being the president doesnt equate do whatever you want, there is congress, senate and other types of organisms that the president or PM cant bypass. How argentina works and is there a majority or minority of milei's party?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We’re entering dark times globally.

Luke1995

What does Milei's election means for Brazil and Uruguay in regards to commercial relationships and diplomacy ?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Worked in the Argentina government of the 90’s

Also

In the end will be a big grift as always. He said that would eliminate the government, but I can't see touching anything relevant in health, education and anywhere

He got elected, he can start stealing like any other Argentinian politician

Sweet Square

In the end will be a big grift as always. He said that would eliminate the government, but I can't see touching anything relevant in health, education and anywhere

He got elected, he can start stealing like any other Argentinian politician
Pretty much

Kaos

So it seems the infamous and ever-elusive Trump 'pivot' we were all waiting for landed at this fella's doorstep instead.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
So it seems the infamous and ever-elusive Trump 'pivot' we were all waiting for landed at this fella's doorstep instead.
I still have hope for Trump's pivot in 2024

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Huh. This is all… a bit unexpected. What’s in it for him to make so many u-turns so quickly?
he’s the argentinian corbyn. he just realised that only shit heads seem to vote in numbers these days, and they’re easy to sell lies to. you hoodwink them and once you’re in power, you can run as you see fit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It’s easy to talk shit when you don’t have to make decisions.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Well, it's going as good as one would expect so far. 20-25% monthly inflation, with the promise of stabilization around April (now June). His first package of laws (around 600 of them, that more or less gave him special powers over the congress for a year) flunked in Congress, then a light version (with around 300 laws) was approved in general and in the internal discussion it was reformed to the point that the government itself decided to discard it. Not before threatening not to send any new laws through the Congress for the rest of the year :nervous: . Of course, as this was happening Milei was visiting the Vatican and Israel, crying in front of the Wailing Wall and promising to bring Argentina's embassy to Jerusalem.

His latest fight is against the governors who opposed to his packages of laws (Ley Omnibus) especially the governor of the Chubut province. A presidential decree esentially defunds that province, as it uses a substantial part of its 2024 budget to amortize its debt with the central government. Several governors (mostly opposed to Milei) have supported Chubut and the next steps are unclear.

On the bright side, he achieved a fiscal superavit in January, the first in argentinian economy since 2012 which is a very good sign for the markets and the IMF. Sadly, this esentially came from removing subsidies from retired people, energy, public transport (whose fees have tripled in a month) and other cuts that esentially affect the middle class. We'll see how it goes from here.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What does head the ball autocorrect from?
I'm guessing "head the ball" means "heid the baw", which can also be translated as bawheid. It means the guy is a total moron.

It's one of those beautiful phrases, like gowl or fannybaws, that reminds the Irish and Scottish that we share more than just an undying resentment for the tea drinking, soap using English.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I'm guessing "head the ball" means "heid the baw", which can also be translated as bawheid. It means the guy is a total moron.

It's one of those beautiful phrases, like gowl or fannybaws, that reminds the Irish and Scottish that we share more than just an undying resentment for the tea drinking, soap using English.
Emotive language. Powerful even.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I’m interested in how his economic policies work because nothing has worked for Argentina and they’ve had different ideological administrations.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

:lol:

Perfectly explained.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
A psychotic poor man's Trump. That he got elected shows what a crazy world we're living in.

He'll be shortly remembered as a clown and swiftly forgotten.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
First macro indicators:

Argentina devaluated argentinian peso and cut some expenses

70% of expenses cuts are:

- 38% on pensions
- 27% on public salaries
- 64% on public subsidies
- 86% on public infrastructures

Due to the devaluation of the argentinan peso:

- +9.6% export growth
- -14.3% import decrease

What it means a good commercial balance

This combination of factors has supposed the first surplus on the public treasury since 2012 by 2 billion euros that after paying interest debt ended with 500 million euros

the counterpart? poverty jumped from 49.50% to 57.4%

Is that a 1 step backwards to jump 2 forward? or a recipe for a disaster?