Argentina Thread : Milei wants NATO security cooperation

Ady87

Appears to be a bit of a maniac. I’ve only seen a few headlines but in terms of abolishing the central bank, allowing people to sell organs, adopting the USD, relaxing gun laws and banning abortion - I wonder which he will do first.

Real Name

Good luck Argentina..

How does it work, if he doesnt have a majority in parliament he can't pass laws?
Does he have it?

CallyRed

CR7 wouldn't have allowed this in Portugal.

Footnote
I know nothing of Portuguese politics

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Does he have actual policy power or would his policies mostly get blocked by other parts of the Argentinian government?

led_scholes

On the second video he is right that the right has won the cultural war, or more specifically the ideological war. And that has happened since the 80s. So anytime I see a neoliberal claiming about being anti establishment and talking about radical ideas, this someone forgets that there is nothing anti establishing nor radical about neoliberalism.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On the second video he is right that the right has won the cultural war, or more specifically the ideological war. And that has happened since the 80s. So anytime I see a neoliberal claiming about being anti establishment and talking about radical ideas, this someone forgets that there is nothing anti establishing nor radical about neoliberalism.
That all depends on how you define “the right”. The likes of this guy and Trump are very different to the more centrist political parties who were successful 20 or 30 years before them. The battle they’re winning is fought almost entirely online and facilitated by lies and misinformation spread on social media. Which is a very different and very new battle compared to what went on in the 80s and 90s.

cafecillos

I understand he needs to side with him, as he's a far-right loon himself, but he could have not been as dumb as to not let this one go without comment. He just has no fecking clue about Argentina, obviously, because prosperity is definitely, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, undebateably NOT ahead for Argentina.

God, do I hate that fecking twat (Musk) and what has happened with this election, as I love Argentina and its people. Extremely dysfunctional and unequal country where all the ingredients are there for bigotry and populism to fester, and have been for decades. The more "moderate" right/centre and the left in that country have so much to answer for too, the whole political and economic system is rotten to the core there and that's why we are where we are.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Elon Musk kiss of death.

Looking forward to the reports on how Twitter actively helped spread disinformation in Argentina and heavily boosted this guys chance.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
62% state dependent and they vote a guy that wants to destroy anything that the state represents. How many times people will vote against themselves?
You could argue they voted against themselves every time they voted for the guys taking them to 40%, then 50%... and that at 62% you sort of start realising the other 38% can't be arsed any more.

Hundreds of thousands of well off Argentinians have moved over to Uruguay, many took their HQs with them if not their entire companies.

I don't know a lot about the situation in Argentina, but this feels simplistic.
Of course it is, it's a football forum, I'm not going to write a dissertation.

Back in 1999 I did, for my BSc in the UK, on what would happen with the neoliberal reforms / Washington Consensus in Latin America. I concluded the entire continent would turn left over the next decade, then realise it didn't work either, no magical solution, then polarisation leading to violence (that last bit hasn't been as bad as I expected).

I barely got a pass: "for an economics degree you need graphs and figures, all you talk about is history, politics and societal norms and values". Go figure, I thought it was a social science.

Appears to be a bit of a maniac. I’ve only seen a few headlines but in terms of abolishing the central bank, allowing people to sell organs, adopting the USD, relaxing gun laws and banning abortion - I wonder which he will do first.
Adopting the USD has to be number 1, the rest is idiotic libertarian discourse.

Their ability to cheat through the exchange rate and money printing is second to none. Not a terrible idea except I've no idea how you handle the day after and it would probably be all for nothing when the other guys return and reinvent the peso to go back to their own ways.

Good luck Argentina..

How does it work, if he doesnt have a majority in parliament he can't pass laws?
Does he have it?
No, he doesn't, so will insist they continue to be in the shitter because parliament stands on his way. It's all very healthy for the democratic institutions.

Bloody hell.

Who was it asking for advice about a holiday in South America? Should probably scratch Argentina off his list.
Best time to go there for services, food, wine, meds and leather goods. Don't try buy any imported products, insanely expensive if available at all.

I've gone over once a month for the last year, some people go every week. As a reference, a one hour uber will cost you less than 5 quid.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Adopting the USD has to be number 1, the rest is idiotic libertarian discourse.

Their ability to cheat through the exchange rate and money printing is second to none. Not a terrible idea except I've no idea how you handle the day after and it would probably be all for nothing when the other guys return and reinvent the peso to go back to their own ways.
This is very objectively a terrible idea, kind of Brexitlike. Esentially Argentina would renounce to its ability to implement monetary policy and/or stimulize its economy. In a country too saddled with foreign debt to expand its already enormous public spending in the case of a major crisis. In a world economy that's going through its most unstable period in the last 40 years. While at the same time the winning government is also threatening to cut ties with two of its major economic partners. So yes, a recipe for disaster.

MoskvaRed

I’m going to Argentina in January - should be interesting…Although Milei may be a loon, is adopting the dollar much different to the 1:1 exchange rate under Menem?

nimic

something nice
Scout
You could argue they voted against themselves every time they voted for the guys taking them to 40%, then 50%... and that at 62% you sort of start realising the other 38% can't be arsed any more.

Hundreds of thousands of well off Argentinians have moved over to Uruguay, many took their HQs with them if not their entire companies.
So in your view, the only ones who are working are the well-off (many of whom own their own companies), while the poor, those who can't survive without government welfare, are... what? Lazy?

antohan

This is very objectively a terrible idea, kind of Brexitlike. Esentially Argentina would renounce to its ability to implement monetary policy and/or stimulize its economy. In a country too saddled with foreign debt to expand its already enormous public spending in the case of a major crisis. In a world economy that's going through its most unstable period in the last 40 years. While at the same time the winning government is also threatening to cut ties with two of its major economic partners. So yes, a recipe for disaster.
It probably is indeed. I can see all sorts of reasons why not, the problem is I can also see how their monetary policies have completely eviscerated Argentina's productive capacity.

I don't know the exact numbers right now as I haven't done any business with Argentina for years but the way it works is that they have an "official rate" at, say, $350/USD that people can hardly buy any dollars at (thus paying $1000/USD in the grey market) but if you are an exporter of beef, grains, whatever, when your dollars arrive they will exchange them at, say, $200/USD.

They just randomly and whimsically manage that as an effective form of taxation, more so if commodities are at high prices. It's mental, a country can't possibly work like that, not for long.

PS: but of course you must know all this if you support Santiago Wanderers

antohan

So in your view, the only ones who are working are the well-off (many of whom own their own companies), while the poor, those who can't survive without government welfare, are... what? Lazy?
That's a deliberate oversimplification which is entirely on you.

It is a fact that the São Paulo agenda is anchored on increasing people's dependency on the state so that they can be controlled by the state.

Essentially, give them fish and make sure they have no idea how to fish. That's what the corrupt Kirchneristas have done systematically to sustain their political dominance.

Again, if 62% of the population depend on the state, who got you there other than the people running the country for the last two decades?

Bert_

It is a fact that the São Paulo agenda is anchored on increasing people's dependency on the state so that they can be controlled by the state.

Essentially, give them fish and make sure they have no idea how to fish. That's what the corrupt Kirchneristas have done systematically to sustain their political dominance.

Again, if 62% of the population depend on the state, who got you there other than the people running the country for the last two decades?
What do you reckon will happen to the 62%? All go and get better paid jobs tomorrow?

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
What do you guys mean by 62% state dependency? Argentina's public sector seems to medium sized according to be google (roughly 17%).

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm not saying they didn't. Argentina is complete mess, clearly it's been poorly ran on top of whatever other problems there might be. Running a strong representative of that for president seems like a monumental miscalculation. I just happen to think the alternative of introducing insane anarcho-capitalism on an already suffering and struggling population is very much not the solution. As bad as things are, they can get much worse.

It's a football forum, I'm not going to write a dissertation. :angel:

Bert_

What do you guys mean by 62% state dependency? Argentina's public sector seems to medium sized according to be google (roughly 17%).
Guessing it's a catch-all stat that includes pensioners, child-benefits, tax-credits etc. State dependency is very subjective. To some it means the unemployed, to others it means anyone that's ever used a public service.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

All the people I know who are dependent on the state is because they have health issues or can't get jobs that pay enough to support their households. Not because they're lazy. I would bet my house (if I could afford one) that it's the same in argentina. People not being able to make a living and needing help doesn't make them lazy.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Well done Argentina, well done.
In some ways they've elected someone who is worse than Trump, Modi, Bolsonaro, Orban, etc. On the other hand, Argentina is such a mess that it's easier to understand how someone like that could get elected. The other countries didn't have such an excuse. Particularly Britain, who had the least excuse of anyone for their omnishambles elections.