Arsenal 2021/22 | PLEASE LOCK (SERIOUSLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinNombre

We finished on 61 points. A slight improvement gets us top six, which is the highest we can get to really. Top four is too far away.
The target should be 5th place and anything below 6th should be sackable (though I think Arteta should have been sacked already).

You have matched United's spending over the last 2 summers in transfers and your wage bill has gone up while United's has gone down.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The target should be 5th place and anything below 6th should be sackable (though I think Arteta should have been sacked already).

You have matched United's spending over the last 2 summers in transfers and your wage bill has gone up while United's has gone down.
What's the working out for this in terms of wages?

SAFMUTD

I can understand the White signing, also Odegaard's but what the feck are they thinking signing Ramsdale?

Can't they see they have a lot of more urgent positions to address before a overspending on a back up keeper?

Castia

Awful business.

They're well behind the top 6 and have been given a decent budget it seems this summer....for them to identify Ramsdale and Ben White for £80m is fecking hilarious.

The fans will be going mad come mid season when they're miles off with these shitters underperforming I cant wait.

Becks_VII

I can understand the White signing, also Odegaard's but what the feck are they thinking signing Ramsdale?

Can't they see they have a lot of more urgent positions to address before a overspending on a back up keeper?
What do these teams see in Ramsdale? Never thought he looked anything special. And as said above they had other more pressing issues to address. I know Leno isn't great by any means, but I think he's better than Ramsdale!

The Purley King

ESR will be a top player in a couple of years.
I quite like the youth strategy but it can fall apart if there are no good experienced pros for the kids to learn from.
I think Arsenal may well fall into the trap of the blind leading the blind.
I read something this morning about the class of 92 and how many experienced pros were already here that they based a lot of things on. Clue - it was a lot

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I never want Arsenal to amass any points usually during a season but a draw would do us a favour at this early stage. Then again, seeing them rooted at the bottom of the table during the international break is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Feck it, 4-0 to Chelsea!

Deery

Dreary
Mental that they’ve spent £130m and don’t look to have improved their starting 11..

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
How much have they spent to add White to their starting XI from last season's dizzy heights of 8th?

I don't think there's any point in comparing spending without accounting for the situation at the club. I hate this argument when people use it against us, it's hardly fair to use it against other teams.

If Arteta is gonna be sacked it's gotta be because he is failing to motivate the players and he doesn't have a semblance of a plan, not cos of net spend.

Number32

What? Clichy wasn't our youth product, neigther was Fabregas, Nasri, Song. And the leader thing is just some lazy thinking, you need good players on the pitch, leadership is not a substitute for talent.
I can see you will make the same mistake again if you tough so, even worse this time. Leadership is the most important thing to keep the team together and get the result. Without Cantona the class of 92 would just bunch of kids that become journey men in PL later (as Robie Savage's career).

Good luck with your average talented players for the rest of the season!

What? Clichy wasn't our youth product, neigther was Fabregas, Nasri, Song. And the leader thing is just some lazy thinking, you need good players on the pitch, leadership is not a substitute for talent.
I don't think you'll do well with talent but poor mentality. With Arsenal right now I'm not sure where the arrogance comes from that demands your players perform like an Arsenal team.

Kelly15

I used to hate arsenal, now I just feel sorry for them. Shows how far they have fallen. You used to have such a great team with amazing players that had so much character. Who is going to lead these kids?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I can see you will make the same mistake again if you tough so, even worse this time. Leadership is the most important thing to keep the team together and get the result. Without Cantona the class of 92 would just bunch of kids that become journey men in PL later (as Robie Savage's career).

Good luck with your average talented players for the rest of the season!
It's not just a bunch of kids though. You can have question marks over them, but Leno, Xhaka, Partey, Aubameyang, Lacazette are all senior players. There's 4 guys that have captained their country in the team, & guys like Tierney who are tipped to do so soon.

I get what you are saying, the teams that were posted before with all the kids is ridiculous, it never works out that way, there will always be a mix of ages in the team. However, while those senior players are still there, what's the best strategy to build for the future, buy more senior players so they all get old at the same time & have to replace them all, or buy young players so they can develop & you can then add some senior players if needed once the current senior players go?

lysglimt

Scout
It takes a special kind of talent to sell Martinez for £15 million and sign Ramsdale for a fee that could rise to £30 million.

Brophs

The One and Only
My overriding impression watching Ramsdale last season was that Bournemouth had done very well to get £10m for him. I don’t see it at all.

lysglimt

Scout
It's not just a bunch of kids though. You can have question marks over them, but Leno, Xhaka, Partey, Aubameyang, Lacazette are all senior players. There's 4 guys that have captained their country in the team, & guys like Tierney who are tipped to do so soon.

I get what you are saying, the teams that were posted before with all the kids is ridiculous, it never works out that way, there will always be a mix of ages in the team. However, while those senior players are still there, what's the best strategy to build for the future, buy more senior players so they all get old at the same time & have to replace them all, or buy young players so they can develop & you can then add some senior players if needed once the current senior players go?
I agree with what you are saying but why sign lightweight players ? You have so many of them already. I looked at the Arsenal-side against Brentford and that team can be bullied by most P.L-sides. None of the new players will solve that problem.
Any team playing Arsenal can have a go at them physically

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Reminder:

Arsenal have spent €392.4m in the last 3 seasons.
United have spent €443.6m in the last 3 seasons.

That's a difference of pretty much €50m. One decent signing basically. Can't say Arsenal haven't spent a feck ton of cash lately and yet do you see much difference in Arsenals squad? It's younger, but I don't really see any top quality players.

Robbie Boy

£109.5 according to reports. Almost exactly the same as we've spent on:

Heaton - £0
Varane - £36m
Sancho - £73m
Their spending has generally been poor in recent years, but this summer takes the piss. This place would have exploded if that was our summer business. I literally rate none of their incoming transfers this summer, though they may prove me wrong. Odegaard is their big name signing, but for me, he's just an uninspiring player. White may come good in time, but again, his deficiencies were glaringly obvious when he was playing for Brighton.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mental that they’ve spent £130m and don’t look to have improved their starting 11..
They have. White has it all to prove but you have to assume he is better than what they had before. I also like the look of Lokonga. Is Odegaard better than Smith Rowe, I am not sure. But when you're effectively a mid-table team, your options are limited.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I also don't understand why people are comparing our transfer business with theirs. Two teams that operate in entirely different markets. You should be comparing them with teams like Villa and Leicester.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I agree with what you are saying but why sign lightweight players ? You have so many of them already. I looked at the Arsenal-side against Brentford and that team can be bullied by most P.L-sides. None of the new players will solve that problem.
Any team playing Arsenal can have a go at them physically
Think the Ben White signing is the dodgy 1 for me. You want your central defenders to be strong & powerful, Gabriel coming back will help with that, but the jury is still massively out on White, especially when he's let a boy who is 6 ft 4 go out on loan without giving him a chance.

For the rest of the park, its more about aggressiveness & intensity for me. Man City players are hardly physically strong but the work hard & are still aggressive to win the ball back. Partey will help add some strength in midfield, & it's not like Xhaka & Lokonga are small.

In attack you had a boy in Balogun starting his first league game because of injuries, so think it's harsh to judge him too much. However, I do agree I think we could do with a bit more of a focal point going forward. I was on here last season saying how much I like Toney. Really like the look of Vlahovic as well. Would love someone of that mould when we replace Auba / Laca.

Deery

Dreary
They have. White has it all to prove but you have to assume he is better than what they had before. I also like the look of Lokonga. Is Odegaard better than Smith Rowe, I am not sure. But when you're effectively a mid-table team, your options are limited.
For £130m spend I’d want more than someone that might push the first team on, I’d want a superstar or two, we’re talking about a team that has the pulling power to get Aubameyang.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Their spending has generally been poor in recent years, but this summer takes the piss. This place would have exploded if that was our summer business. I literally rate none of their incoming transfers this summer, though they may prove me wrong. Odegaard is their big name signing, but for me, he's just an uninspiring player. White may come good in time, but again, his deficiencies were glaringly obvious when he was playing for Brighton.
Of course you would have went mental, because you are operating at a different level in the market now, because of the improvement Ole has made. You'd be better comparing where we are right now to where you were the summer you signed Maguire, Wan Bissaka & Dan James. That helped you build a platform so you can then go for the likes of Bruno, then improve further & become an attractive place where you are in the market of the Sancho's & Varane's of the world again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also don't understand why people are comparing our transfer business with theirs. Two teams that operate in entirely different markets. You should be comparing them with teams like Villa and Leicester.
The sad, hilarious truth is that this is spot on

Donnarumma, Sergio Ramos, Varane or Wijnaldum wouldn't even have picked up the phone for them

It's still absolute madness that they spent actual money for ramsdale though :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For £130m spend I’d want more than someone that might push the first team on, I’d want a superstar or two, we’re talking about a team that has the pulling power to get Aubameyang.
They signed Auba in 2018. Right after selling Alexis Sanchez to United. And for him it was either arsenal's money or stay at dortmund. He was nearing 30 and arsenal were 1 year removed from playing CL football. Wenger was still manager

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So they let Martinez go for about 20m, and sign Ramsdale for up to 30m? Following the even sillier 50m for White.
Have they heard something about Brexit and British players that no-one else has heard?

Deery

Dreary
They signed Auba in 2018. Right after selling Alexis Sanchez to United. And for him it was either arsenal's money or stay at dortmund. He was nearing 30 and arsenal were 1 year removed from playing CL football. Wenger was still manager
Still would have aimed higher with someone like Pau Torres and Sabitzer even John McGinn.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
ESR will be a top player in a couple of years.
I quite like the youth strategy but it can fall apart if there are no good experienced pros for the kids to learn from.
I think Arsenal may well fall into the trap of the blind leading the blind.
I read something this morning about the class of 92 and how many experienced pros were already here that they based a lot of things on. Clue - it was a lot
Yeah that's the problem for Arsenal really. A young spine of White-Tierney-Odegaard-Saka- Smith Rowe-Martinelli isn't that bad really to build around as there's lots of quality there....but as said before the experienced players are a real problem. Giving Xhaka a new deal is a mistake, WIllian signing been a waste of time and they'd love to get Auba and Lacazette off the books. Feels while those all are around in the squad they just won't do anything, certainly not under Arteta.

One thing I would say though....Man. United to me felt like that in 2018-19 period and now two years on you should be challenging for the league. Sometimes one signing can change the mentality as seen with Bruno.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Still would have aimed higher with someone like Pau Torres and Sabitzer even John McGinn.
Put Tiago Silva, Kante and Lukaku in Arsenal team and they'd be making top 4 no problem. Just shows how far Chelsea are ahead of Arsenal these days in terms of experienced signings when go back 6-7 years ago and there wasn't that much between them. Infact go back to 18/19 season and there was grand total of 2 points between them.

But Chelsea got top 4, put Arsenal in their place in europa final and even with transfer ban have moved well ahead again.

Deery

Dreary
Pau Torrres will only sign for a CL club. He turned down Spurs on that basis. Not sure I agree on McGinn. He's a solid mid-table midfielder in my opinion.
He’s better than Xhaka I think anyway, but if you’re throwing £50m at Pau Torres?

Halftrack

Their CBs were all shite in the air, and their one CB signing is also shite in the air. Compared to them, Lindelöf is a beast aerially.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Many people have argued Ramsdale weaknesses but he surely has strengths.
So, genuine question, what are they ?

Status
Not open for further replies.