Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Everyone getting in to use up their 2023 reserve of shit talking. Beautiful to see fans from every team trying to get one in :lol:

AshRK

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Good post. I think White for £50m gets less scrutiny because of Maguire for £80m. He's just Lewis Dunk with a sunbed.
Arteta must be a real miracle worker if he’s getting all these “bang average players” ( Rice, White, Jesus, Zinchenko etc.) to challenge City for the title.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Arteta must be a real miracle worker if he’s getting all these “bang average players” ( Rice, White, Jesus, Zinchenko etc.) to challenge City for the title.
If he could stay in his technical box, he'd easily challenge for the quadruple every season

AshRK

I don't think any of them are bang average players (maybe zinchenko is) but the point is you may very well have to upgrade them if you want to win the title.

erikcred

They haven't bottled it. They've just lumped on that front three performing and I think they're all slightly overrated.

I said last season that Saka leaves me a bit cold. Got slated for it. Good player but he's just very robotic for me, same thing over and over. Mid paced and its all cut inside shoot.

Martinelli just isn't that good and Jesus we all know doesn't score lots.

City will likely win the league. Not because they're great but due to having two genuine goalscorers and the least amount of injuries.
Reminds me of "Salah is a one season wonder" because he keeps cutting in and shooting.

Marwood

Reminds me of "Salah is a one season wonder" because he keeps cutting in and shooting.
Nah Salah is just a much better player. He's exciting to watch, there's some unpredictability about his game even in this age of regimented play. His pace alone makes him more dangerous and more entertaining to watch.

the_cliff

Jesus: 3 Goals.
Saka: 5 Goals (2 Penalties).
Odegaard: 4 Goals (2 Penalties).
Martinelli: 2 Goals

Surprisingly Eddie Nketieh is their top scorer in Non Penalty Goals with 5. He also has a Goals per 90 of 0.51 (The highest in the team). Jesus in comparison has 0.33, Saka 0.29 and Martinelli 0.15.

I think Martinelli, Saka and Jesus have been in bad form this season which shows how good they are that they're still in the title race despite this. They do need to start scoring soon though, otherwise it will be too late.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean he bought them all didn’t he?

Anyway, Rice isn’t average. He’s a really good player.

The issue with Arteta, or the recruitment team, is in my opinion they have wasted money in the wrong areas.

Zinchenko wasn’t really an upgrade on Tierney, Raya wasn’t over Ramsdale, Havertz seems unnecessary and cost a fortune whilst Jesus isn’t prolific enough to lead the line for a title winning team.

The club has spent a phenomenal amount on problems that didn’t need solving.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I mean he bought them all didn’t he?

Anyway, Rice isn’t average. He’s a really good player.

The issue with Arteta, or the recruitment team, is in my opinion they have wasted money in the wrong areas.

Zinchenko wasn’t really an upgrade on Tierney, Raya wasn’t over Ramsdale, Havertz seems unnecessary and cost a fortune whilst Jesus isn’t prolific enough to lead the line for a title winning team.

The club has spent a phenomenal amount on problems that didn’t need solving.
I sort of agree with your point, but you have to say, bar this summer, the signings have been made in mind to allow us to establish a system and way of playing to allow us first to get back in the Champions League, and then hopefully keep us there, so the likes of Zinchenko and Jesus were important parts in that.

That doesn’t mean they can’t be improved upon again to try and take us to the next level, and that also doesn’t mean they are automatically of no use whatsoever and can’t still become valuable squad members.

This summers transfers you can look at differently, so I can understand some criticism there.

Roux

You can seen the whole line. I know the ball is behind Bowen's knee, but can you see any of it? That should tell you whether it crossed the line.

https://x.com/ArsenalReport/status/1740698112208130201?s=20
again that doesn't prove anything to me - it's inconclusive. We've already seen during the World Cup that the ball can in-play from the top view and look out of play from the side view. If nobody can conclusively prove the ball went out of play then play should continue as normal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
again that doesn't prove anything to me - it's inconclusive. We've already seen during the World Cup that the ball can in-play from the top view and look out of play from the side view. If nobody can conclusively prove the ball went out of play then play should continue as normal.
Can it? Surely as long as the camera is directly above or directly in line on the side view then that takes out the curvature of the ball argument?

Agree about the rest of your post though, they just can’t give it because Bowen’s leg is in the way, but it does look out to me, as when they fast forward and rewound frame by frame you could see the curvature of the ball break the line.

the_cliff

All of this ball over the line talk is irrelevant. Just like against Newcastle the problem with Arsenal has been scoring, when team sit deep and can defend set pieces well Arsenal struggle to score this season. It's a pattern.

Roux

Can it? Surely as long as the camera is directly above or directly in line on the side view then that takes out the curvature of the ball argument?

Agree about the rest of your post though, they just can’t give it because Bowen’s leg is in the way, but it does look out to me, as when they fast forward and rewound frame by frame you could see the curvature of the ball break the line.
yep - this demonstrates it well:

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
yep - this demonstrates it well:

That’s different though, that’s similar to the 1 at Newcastle, where we didn’t have a view directly in line with the touch line. In the image posted earlier, you have a view right along the touch line. The problem is that Bowens leg obscured the view, so I totally get why they allowed the goal, but if his leg wasn’t there you’d have a really good viewpoint that takes into account the curvature of the ball. Same if you have a camera directly above the line.

In saying that….

All of this ball over the line talk is irrelevant. Just like against Newcastle the problem with Arsenal has been scoring, when team sit deep and can defend set pieces well Arsenal struggle to score this season. It's a pattern.
I agree with the Cliff here.

Last edited:

Roux

That’s different though, that’s similar to the 1 at Newcastle, where we didn’t have a view directly in line with the touch line. In the image posted earlier, you have a view right along the touch line. The problem is that Bowens leg obscured the view, so I totally get why they in, but if his leg wasn’t there you’d have a really good viewpoint that takes into account the curvature of the ball. Same if you have a camera directly above the line.

In saying that….

I agree with the Cliff here.
Well his leg obstructing the view of the ball means you can't really say its over the line conclusively.

Also - i'm not disputing it changed the game or anything, just simply pointing out that it wasn't conclusive like the original person i replied to said - using the words 'its was clearly out'.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well his leg obstructing the view of the ball means you can't really say its over the line conclusively.

Also - i'm not disputing it changed the game or anything, just simply pointing out that it wasn't conclusive like the original person i replied to said - using the words 'its was clearly out'.
Understood, I was only answering your point about top cameras and side cameras, agree with the rest.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

He lost all respect when he continued to player on bail and under investigation for being a serial rapist. If convicted, he'll be one of the worst sex offenders in British legal history. Trying to win a league title more important than safeguarding the public though.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
If we don't do anything get Arteta out. Sick of his tactics game in game out. Why is Smith Rowe sat on the bench holding his balls every game? Why does Saka play every single game despite clearly being burnt out? How the feck is Nketiah getting games and is at this club?

All these last minute wins are peppering over the cracks. We need a proper number 9 and another winger as Saka looks completely burnt to the crisp playing every game for 2 years now.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
If Tottenham keeps losing all their key players to injuries Arteta might still scrape 4th