Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
They had two chances cleared off the line by defenders - how is that limited to 'almost zero chances' where the "opposition cant even get at your goal to score"...?
Yes that is almost zero chances created, for a team that creates very high XG on their home ground.

And here's another stat for you... A lot of opposition XG comes from Arsenal mistakes. Including one of the Brentford chances if I remember correctly.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
They had two chances cleared off the line by defenders - how is that limited to 'almost zero chances' where the "opposition cant even get at your goal to score"...?
Both those chances were created by mistakes by our own players - Ramsdale for the first one (Rice cleared off the line), and Zinchenko for the second (who redeemed himself for losing the ball cheaply). If we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot, Brentford barely had a sniff.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Not so much of a typical grind as slipping up to let the weaker team back in as of late...or in other words making it more difficult on ourselves. It's been the case for a lot of our games this season. That first Luton goal was ok...yes, failed to cover that zone...it happens and it was still a good header. Those other two goals were terrible.

We have two positions that were markedly better last season. One Ramsdale who had his senior moments last year was better than both him and Raya of this year. We still haven't quite replaced Xhaka either. Havertz has had a few decent games in a row now though. He was one of our better players again yesterday! Hope he keeps improving.
I don't think it's a coincidence that we seem to have raised our level in attack in the last few games, but defensively we've had lapses costing us goals (though not points, yet). Not quite finding the balance, but I'm confident that will come.

Havertz has shown in the last few games why Arteta bought him. He really does give us something different. I feel that if he'd scored those sitters he had earlier in the season, he'd have had a much easier start to his Arsenal career. But I always saw he was getting into good positions; just lacked that final touch, pass or bit of composure. He seems to have found it now though and is linking up quite nicely with Martinelli and Jesus.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Arsenal are brilliant and when Arsenal make mistakes it shows how crap everyone else is because Arsenal are brilliant and only concede to mistakes but Arsenal are brilliant and when other teams make mistakes it's because Arsenal are brilliant.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal are brilliant and when Arsenal make mistakes it shows how crap everyone else is because Arsenal are brilliant and only concede to mistakes but Arsenal are brilliant and when other teams make mistakes it's because Arsenal are brilliant.
Spot on!

AgentSmith

:lol:

Sums it up nicely.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I am enjoying seeing a certain amount of camaraderie out there too. Gone are the players of years gone by like Mustafi who used to blame everyone under the sun. These guys do support each other and created a positive environment that wasn't there before.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
It took you a last minute stoppage time winner last night to win.

Against Brentford you scored in the 89th minute to win.

Against Chelsea you needed goals in the last 15 to draw and Chelsea arguably should have put you away or held off before then.

Against City you needed a goal in the last 5 by a deflection to win in what was a crap game by both.

Against us you were really crap and we defended well, it took a great goal to win the game.

Against Spurs I found them to be the better team and your goals were an OG and a penalty.

I watched all of them aside from last night.
Bloody hell, we sound awful.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
When City win they are cheating and it doesn't matter. When Arsenal wins...we are lucky scraping by. When Pool wins it is because they vandalised or stole the other team's bus. When Chelsea win, well it is because they spent a billion getting that win. When Spurs win....well it was bound to happen some day....oh and all the opposing teams were terrible, all of them are the worst teams in the league simultaneously.

Remember the geese

When City win they are cheating and it doesn't matter. When Arsenal wins...we are lucky scraping by. When Pool wins it is because they vandalised or stole the other team's bus. When Chelsea win, well it is because they spent a billion getting that win. When Spurs win....well it was bound to happen some day....oh and all the opposing teams were terrible, all of them are the worst teams in the league simultaneously.
Some of those are true though.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I'm just glad that we're competing for the title, rather than competing for the top four.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Sum up nicely, just missed Villa and Newcastle. They needed to be mentioned too.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
I bet you’re eyeing up that 2006 CL trophy to be retrospectively awarded to Arsenal innit? ;)
Would not turn that down, but I'm sure there is no chance anything significant is done to damage or mess with Messi's legacy. Barca is too big to fail for both La Liga and UEFA.

I was really just piling on after Changeisgood's inital post. Thought Barca deserved a dig in there as well.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Hats off to Aston Villa. Knew we'd have to be at our best to beat them today and we were far off it. Nice goal from them and while we had long spells of dominance, we never found that last pass or touch. Odegaard in particular guilty of missing our best chances. Thought Havertz was our best player today, but everyone was just a bit off it with stray passes everywhere.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I thought after a tentative start they played very well tbh (created far more than they did at Newcastle).

They're right in the mix and have quality right through the team even if Saka isn't on the level he was 12 months back. Jesus also takes far too many touches when in the box but you'd assume they'll rectify that in the January window.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Big big chance for them at Anfield next weekend.

They should've won there last season and the title bid fizzled out from the moment they conceded late on to Firmino.

Will be a statement going into 2024 if they show the correct mentality to get a win, no reason for Arteta to go there after watching that and just stick endless men behind the ball. Also have a free week while Liverpool will be playing league cup on Wednesday.

PoTMS

Go on then Arsenal. Everything is forgiven. You have our blessing to win the league.

wr8_utd

:'(
Imagine needing this lot and their incredibly annoying fans to win the league. Luckily, I'm not invested in this to the way I was during the earlier City vs Liverpool title races. Don't like either of the three teams in the race, can't be arsed who wins.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They have the best performing defense and DM in the league. Havertz looks like the microchip is finally coming online. They're still anticipating Partey and Timber back.

City will run them close but they are favorites to win out IMO

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Thank you Man Utd. I really feel this Liverpool is nothing special. The real challenge will be keeping City at bay when they have their usual resurgence after January.

ForFuchsSake

Thank you Man Utd. I really feel this Liverpool is nothing special. The real challenge will be keeping City at bay when they have their usual resurgence after January.
Arsenal are absolutely the more convincing side out of the two. Liverpool’s have some match-winning firepower but it’s still heavily reliant on Salah undoubted brilliance.

Nunez is the epitome of ‘chaos’ and can produce moments of quality but is just as likely to miss an open goal. Diaz, Gakpo and Jota are all very good but none are as good as Saka, Martinelli or Jesus IMO.

Midfield is sorely lacking in balance and depth in quality. Allison, van Dijk and TAA are all great but they lack the same cohesion and quality of play as Arsenal have. They have the Anfield/Klopp factor which will win them many games though.

City are still your biggest threat. Your sustained title challenge might hinge on how far you progress in Europe (and injuries of course).

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Funny how I was more positive that United may get a result at Anfield than my United-supporting mates. :lol:
Great weekend for us, couldn't have gone any better really.

They have the best performing defense and DM in the league. Havertz looks like the microchip is finally coming online. They're still anticipating Partey and Timber back.

City will run them close but they are favorites to win out IMO
Arteta's signings look like they're taking shape. Can see why Arteta had such tunnel vision for Rice; he has really stepped up and taken his game to the next level. Beast mentality.
Havertz, after a difficult start, looks to have settled now and is starting to make that LCM role his. Defensively he's done well but still want more from him going forward. Though his end product is much better. Still think he can slow down our play at times, but think he'll continue to improve.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You're welcome Gooners.
Honestly, call it the pessimist in me, but when City dropped points yesterday my conclusion was that might be the tipping point that made Liverpool favourites for the league,

A win today vs yourselves, a win next vs us, might have just gave them that cushion and momentum with both there and Klopps experience it might have been difficult to stop.

So yeah, I’m grateful at Utd being able to halt that thought, that’s for sure.