Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can't really stand Arsenal, but now that City will more than likely go on to win it I'm sickened for them.

It's not just losing the title, but the fact that you have to be near perfect to be in with a chance of winning it, and one off day in an overall incredible second half of the season is enough to see it gone.
You were like that under Fergie for many a season. Look at the second half of 2002/03 season when you reeled in a very good Arsenal under Wenger by pretty much winning every game for the last three months (and also a 2-2 down at Highbury).

The wins in 2008 and 2009 were similar.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think next year will be their best chance. Another year on De Bruyne and Walker's wheels, maybe Silva fecks off, maybe City get a few points deducted.
Maybe. Don’t think that last point will happen though.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
You'll just have to keep going. The problem is if any season Man. City were going to drop off it would be after winning the treble and ultimately they've still eased into 91 points. Can't see them collapsing next season like they did in the year Liverpool won it.

Pep fecking off is a year closer at least I guess. :lol:
What Klopp did for Liverpool is remarkable. 99 points!

DJ_21

They've won 16 out of 18 games in 2024? One poor result really isn't something you can blame them for.
It’s that 1 game that’s cost them the league though. City don’t drop many points which means you need to try and win every one. They did the hardest part which was their head to head with city. Didn’t lose any of them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ah, the old days where competing teams fighting for the title could afford to lose 2,3 games and still potentially end up as champions.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s that 1 game that’s cost them the league though. City don’t drop many points which means you need to try and win every one. They did the hardest part which was their head to head with city. Didn’t lose any of them.
They or Liverpool needed to built a commanding lead over xmas when City fecked off to the World club cup. Instead they cancelled each other out at Anfield (Liverpool also had the 0-0 v you a week earlier) and Arsenal then lost successive games for the only time this season v West Ham and Fulham.

Man. City also winning 3-2 at Newcastle was a big moment in the season. That ridiculous De Bruyne assist to Oscar Bobb in the last minute sparked their latest title winning run.

SER19

It will be a different team to suffer next year. Just not us.
Ya add it to Klopp and Liverpool, Brighton being cheated of CL football.

The ramifications of their cheating are so far reaching its hard to fathom how nobody is talking about it, let alone elevating city to a status higher than any team ever. Dead sport.

wr8_utd

:'(
They or Liverpool needed to built a commanding lead over xmas when City fecked off to the World club cup. Instead they cancelled each other out at Anfield (Liverpool also had the 0-0 v you a week earlier) and Arsenal then lost successive games for the only time this season v West Ham and Fulham.

Man. City also winning 3-2 at Newcastle was a big moment in the season. That ridiculous De Bruyne assist to Oscar Bobb in the last minute sparked their latest title winning run.
City were really wobbling before the CWC with 1 win in 6 League games. Coming back after the break and with those games at Goodison and St James Park, you thought that was going to be the end of their challenge.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
You can point to any result as decisive when the margins are this fine.

Spurs and Forest just scored zero goals on 4 XG combined in two matches City didn’t really deserve to win. It’s not like them winning out was inevitable. They’re a great side but rode their luck as well.

eire-red

You were like that under Fergie for many a season. Look at the second half of 2002/03 season when you reeled in a very good Arsenal under Wenger by pretty much winning every game for the last three months (and also a 2-2 down at Highbury).

The wins in 2008 and 2009 were similar.
Yeah I've actually been debating something along these lines in another thread, pointing out the similarities to United in their pomp.

Just feels like the bar is even higher now with this City team. If Pep stayed on for another decade, I genuinely think they'd win probably minimum 7 or the next 10 titles. With him and their unmatchable resources, I think the gap is now bigger than it ever has been.

Maybe not at the very top ie City vs Liverpool or Arsenal, or whoever manages to muster up a stellar season to even have a hope, but it feels like any hope of a shock winner like a Blackburn in 95, or Leicester in 2016 is unimaginable.

Vidooq

I'm still under the impression that Arsenal had to win at City in order to become champions, instead of playing for the draw. I will circle back to this post once the league is done, to see if these 3 points turn out to be crucial.
My impression after the City-Arsenal game. Arsenal simply had to have a go at them then. For context, City were winning unconvincingly, while Arsenal was having thumping wins like 5-0, 6-0 etc. I was baffled by how happy Arsenal was that day, that they did not lose that game, and ended up with a clean sheet.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
City were really wobbling before the CWC with 1 win in 6 League games. Coming back after the break and with those games at Goodison and St James Park, you thought that was going to be the end of their challenge.
They had two awkward games v Brentford aswell in that period. One they were losing 1-0 up to half time and the other was 0-0 until about 15 minutes left.

DJ_21

Ye that’s true. Should have been beating West Ham and Fulham but even with them losses it was still in their hands up until you beat them at their place. That late goal against Newcastle for city has shown to be a crucial goal in the title race and that’s what champions can do, hang on in their and score a last minute goal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City are too strong for them (or anyone really). They only went ahead and added Haaland to a team that won two in a row.

Nicolarra90

Not really because some years it’s a 2 horse race, sometimes 3 teams involved. Could be upto 4 next year.
Every year since 2018 has been a one horse race. With some fake run-ins where there's been little emotion since city has hardly been close to drop a point.

erikcred

You can point to any result as decisive when the margins are this fine.

Spurs and Forest just scored zero goals on 4 XG combined in two matches City didn’t really deserve to win. It’s not like them winning out was inevitable. They’re a great side but rode their luck as well.
They had many decisions go their way. Can't think of a single borderline one against them in the last 6 months.

erikcred

Even if they don't win it on Sunday, I back Arsenal to do a 2019/20 Liverpool season next year.
Same here. It'll be near impossible for Pep to motivate his team to a 5th title on the bounce. Especially in the first half of the season. With Klopp gone, it's basically a free run at the title for Arsenal.

Real Name

They had an icredible season but they're competing against state backed cheats.

It's a question if they'll be in the same position next year.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Insulting another member
I am not sure you are defending him very well. If he is slow and he is obviously far from the tallest, that's a bad combo right there. He is injured now quite a bit. We want the aggression from our players but if he is lunging in like this it is also conducive to resulting in more injuries.

He is athletic but he is just not really the right build for a CB. Man Utd fans were reflecting that he was out for last weekend's game but Martinez was pretty poor in our first game this season. He was even subbed I think. You are not getting half of your stable CB pairing from him which is imperative to long term success of the team.

I would want two new CBs if I was a Man Utd fan...first wish.
Why would I need to defend him? I am not his mother.

In all of my previous three posts I have mentioned that I do not see him as a solution at center back in the long term. But here we are. First it was "he is okay on the ball" when in fact he is excellent and then came this "I am not defending him well", when I am myself saying that I think he is more suited for an inverted LB role. :lol:

Did you read my posts, dumdum? Or another trophy-less season where you bottled the title and the CL semi in a span of 3-4 days playing with your mind?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interested to see what happens if they don't do it. Liverpool finished 2nd then 1st and then fell off a cliff and were arguably one of the worst champions we've seen. If they don't do it this year will they be able to pick themselves up and mentally go again for a third time?

erikcred

Interested to see what happens if they don't do it. Liverpool finished 2nd then 1st and then fell off a cliff and were arguably one of the worst champions we've seen. If they don't do it this year will they be able to pick themselves up and mentally go again for a third time?
There's nothing arguable about it. They put up the worst title defence I've seen, with basically the same group (unlike us in 2014 or Blackburn or Leicester who lost managers or big players). But tbf, they were coming off two 95+ point seasons and a CL. It's understandable that they lose motivation when things don't go entirely their way. Something I hope will happen to City next season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There's nothing arguable about it. They put up the worst title defence I've seen, with basically the same group (unlike us in 2014 or Blackburn or Leicester who lost managers or big players). But tbf, they were coming off two 95+ point seasons and a CL. It's understandable that they lose motivation when things don't go entirely their way. Something I hope will happen to City next season.
True, I think with Klopp's style and what they did during that time it was more understandable to have a drop off.

Find it hard to see that happening for City though if they do 4 in a row. It's possibly Pep's last season so they'll throw everything at the league and CL to try and do a double to send him off.

Arsenal though...if they fail at the last two seasons in a row...it's a big mental hill to climb.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Why would I need to defend him? I am not his mother.

In all of my previous three posts I have mentioned that I do not see him as a solution at center back in the long term. But here we are. First it was "he is okay on the ball" when in fact he is excellent and then came this "I am not defending him well", when I am myself saying that I think he is more suited for an inverted LB role. :lol:

Did you read my posts, dumdum? Or another trophy-less season where you bottled the title and the CL semi in a span of 3-4 days playing with your mind?
How did this post "insult another member"?

Usually a moderator sends a DM explaining the reason for an infraction. Can get explanation for this one? Thanks.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Same here. It'll be near impossible for Pep to motivate his team to a 5th title on the bounce. Especially in the first half of the season. With Klopp gone, it's basically a free run at the title for Arsenal.
Wishful nonsense.
People said the same after the treble yet they'll win the league and probably FA cup again and were unfortunate Europe was derailed on pens.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Usually a moderator sends a DM explaining the reason for an infraction. Can get explanation for this one? Thanks.
I've spent quite a few hours wondering, but maybe just maybe calling someone "dumdum" might just have had something to do with it?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Perhaps you should re-read your post, "dumdum"?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We're talking about a side that are likely to win a 4th league title (and countless other trophies) on the bounce and some think they'd have motivation issues going for a 5th?
Umm, OK.

Outside of Arsenal, who are likely to stop them next year?
Certainly won't be us, Chelsea, Klopp-less Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle.
You could argue that City next year may have potentially thier most comfortable winning season.

Last edited:

TheGame

It's not just that though, they've had a consistent 3 out of 4 defence which has helped this season and a lack of injuries. It's important to grab the opportunities while you can as you don't know what will happen next season. Yes they may have another good season but in a season where City weren't at their best for large parts, it was a big chance to take advantage and those earlier results in the season have cost them.

Wengerista

Supports
Arsenal
We did that last year and have made objective progress this time, so I'm fairly confident. If we'd regressed on last season in points and/or consistency, seeing out games, making freak errors or enough other important components of winning, then it'd be a different story.