Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Really disappointing again from Arsenal given all the time off they’ve been having.
Ive often felt this can go against you, especially this early in the season. Players shouldn't be tired yet, our form has dropped since the FA Cup match vs City and I think it's partly because we haven't played much. The sharpness isn't there right now.
We really missed Partey today too, second half especially our midfield was fading.

Telsim

My thoughts too. We have exceeded expectations but our form has dropped quite a bit. It doesn't feel like we have a game in hand right now.
You don't win in an endurance test, which is what the league is, against a team that is immune to injuries and fatigue. Simple as.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ive often felt this can go against you, especially this early in the season. Players shouldn't be tired yet, our form has dropped since the FA Cup match vs City and I think it's partly because we haven't played much. The sharpness isn't there right now.
We really missed Partey today too, second half especially our midfield was fading.
I did say I don’t know why Arteta messed around with the team for the cup game. That performance was really poor.

I know different managers do different things but when you’re playing one game a week you surely want to build momentum and keep a psychological advantage.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
They should have given a fight against City in the FA cup. It reminds me of our loss to City in that Carabao semis when we were challenging for title under Ole and after that loss we just started to crumble and City took that one step further. This is similar. What's the point of resting and not competing for everything.
I agree. Felt we rolled over too easily for them wanting to "prioritise" the league and it's backfired (as I thought it would). We had good momentum and we were developing a good winning culture. That little shift in mentality of sacrificing the FA Cup has set us on our poor run and we haven't won't since.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
They should have given a fight against City in the FA cup. It reminds me of our loss to City in that Carabao semis when we were challenging for title under Ole and after that loss we just started to crumble and City took that one step further. This is similar. What's the point of resting and not competing for everything.
Because we are already looking very tired out there and are very thin in many areas on the pitch.

AndySmith1990

My thoughts too. We have exceeded expectations but our form has dropped quite a bit. It doesn't feel like we have a game in hand right now.
How have you exceeded expectations? You made a post on this forum a couple weeks back stating Arsenal had the best team in the league. Being 1st should be expected, no?

Zen

They were better in the FA Cup than they were tonight.... quite comfortably so too, not sure why people are suggesting they didn't fight for that game or rolled over. Was the game watched?

AshRK

Because we are already looking very tired out there and are very thin in many areas on the pitch.
You have been playing one game per week. Confidence matters. You losing to the side who are challenging you defenitely gives other side an edge.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure about that. I mean, can we really be tired barely halfway through the season? We haven't played much the last month or so but are in our poorest run and form now. That rest hasn't seemed to help.

Fact is we have a young, small squad and we have been overachieving so far.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
How have you exceeded expectations? You made a post on this forum a couple weeks back stating Arsenal had the best team in the league. Being 1st should be expected, no?
It's just the typical Arsenal fan this season, they all got far too cocky, far too soon. It's coming back to bite them and now they are all back peddling, saying they didn't expect this much from their team, so we are proud of them regardless blah, blah, etc.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
They were better in the FA Cup than they were tonight.... quite comfortably so too, not sure why people are suggesting they didn't fight for that game or rolled over. Was the game watched?
I'd say we were kind of the same, tonight we added self-inflicted mistakes and against City you get shot down.

FujiVice

Away to Villa next. What a horrible fixture to play after a bad run of form.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Looking tired is worrying though given your schedule has been very easy on you
We have played the same starting 11 barring injuries for a while now. Frank might have been right that it has made us also a bit predictable. Partey isn't that durable in the first place either. He has been struggling since that FA cup game. We needed him today.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think maybe you've misunderstood or taken something out of context. I do remember saying that the table doesn't lie, and yes, we have been the best team in the league for most of the season so far. Things are obviously shifting a bit and right now, we're the 2nd best team in the league after tonight's game. But still a long way to go and I'm enjoying it - the ups and the downs.

We have exceeded expectations because at the start of the season NO ONE would have expected us to even be in a title race. I personally have always been "one game at a time" and haven't been drawn into all this title talk.

Last edited:

AshRK

Not sure about that. I mean, can we really be tired barely halfway through the season? We haven't played much the last month or so but are in our poorest run and form now. That rest hasn't seemed to help.

Fact is we have a young, small squad and we have been overachieving so far.
Momentum matters and your team was on a roll so losing a game against a tepid City side that day was not a smart move.

Imagine beating them at their own ground. That would have defenitely helped the confidence. This city side are serial winners. They know how to get the Momentum back and they have done that.

Like I said this is too similar to United's loss to them in the carabao semis. I heard some of our fans say the same that it's a meaningless competition, we have bigger fish to fry. Well that's not how it works.

Flexdegea

Lot of these blow in arsenal fans who popped in here this last year mostly talk rubbish.

One consistent of Arsenal for the last 2 decades is the collapse or flapping in the league ya get normally after the half way stage or 2nd half of the season.

I think back to the abuse Neville got for his comments a while back regarding city and United finishing ahead, you would think he said something disgraceful when he was just stating reality of how he mostly sees arsenal.

They even done it last year as well at the end of season.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
What I mean when I saw that is that Arteta made too many changes. From memory, think he made 3-4 changes in starting 11. It was clear he was happy to sacrifice the FA Cup. At least that's how I saw it anyway.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Don't worry, they'll be changing the narrative now that they've been found out. It was always about getting top 4.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Momentum matters and your team was on a roll so losing a game against a tepid City side that day was not a smart move.

Imagine beating them at their own ground. That would have defenitely helped the confidence. This city side are serial winners. They know how to get the Momentum back and they have done that.

Like I said this is too similar to United's loss to them in the carabao semis. I heard some of our fans say the same that it's a meaningless competition, we have bigger fish to fry. Well that's not how it works.
I completely agree. You can't pick and choose which games/comps you'll show up for. If you want to create a winning culture, you gotta try to win every game.

I think Arteta's inexperience there showed. I bet if he could have that game again, he wouldn't make so many changes in that FA Cup game.

Mr Smith

You have to wonder whether Arsenal's belief might drop now. They had a five-point lead not that long ago and now they're level. Their squad is very thin even with the additions in January. If I'm an Arsenal fan I'm very worried right now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not enough goals in the front three. It was always likely to come and bite them at some point this season

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
You have to wonder whether Arsenal's belief might drop now. They had a five-point lead not that long ago and now they're level. Their squad is very thin even with the additions in January. If I'm an Arsenal fan I'm very worried right now.
We have a game in hand but it doesn't feel like it matters

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I’m definitely worried, can’t lie.

The offense has really ground to a halt. We need Jesus back badly and we need a result at the weekend even more badly.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Not enough goals in the front three. It was always likely to come and bite them at some point this season
Maybe but tonight was all about our defence fecking up. You can't gift opportunities to people, and we did that tonight for 2 of their goals.

Eplel

They've already settled for 3rd place at r/gunners