Arsenal Mania: Brace Yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_Cole

I think they need to win both their remaining games, and hope Olympiakos get nothing against Bayern. Tough task for them.
They also practically need to beat them by 2 or more goals in Greece.

There is a chance though. Can see Arsenal getting through jammily. I kind of want them too because no doubt they'll get battered vs Barca/ Real/ Bayern in the knock outs.

ChaddyP

Just kind of hope it impacts on their league form.

it will. They will now blow Spurs out of the water. Had they won they would have been smug as feck and went into the spurs game thinking they are something special and get a thrashing. Its why i was fearful when they lost midweek before our game against them. They always react under pressure and crumble when they are on a high

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
They'll get through.

They are good enough to beat Dinamo at home. Bayern will beat Olympiacos at home.

But I would love it if Olympiacos beat them at home though. Really love it.

Jammydodger7

it will. They will now blow Spurs out of the water. Had they won they would have been smug as feck and went into the spurs game thinking they are something special and get a thrashing. Its why i was fearful when they lost midweek before our game against them. They always react under pressure and crumble when they are on a high
Exactly, which is why I dont fear them winning the league either

Skizzo

I
Ts not in Arsenals hands at all. All they can do is win every game and hope that Bayern win themselves. That's the definition of not being in someone's hands.
That's why he questioned it, because sir a1ex said it was in both arsenals and Olympiakos' hands, which isn't exactly true. Arsenal still need to rely on other results first.
I think we are agreeing with each other here and arguing the same point lol

Irrational.

I have to say, Arsenal fans come across as the most bipolar set of of fans in the league.

The number of times I've heard 'Arsene OUT', followed by 'we're going to be challenging for the league this year', is baffling.

NoPace

I have to say, Arsenal fans come across as the most bipolar set of of fans in the league.

The number of times I've heard 'Arsene OUT', followed by 'we're going to be challenging for the league this year', is baffling.
Not really their fault, though. Firing Wenger would be stupid but may be their only real path to a title. He absolutely deserves to stay until he retires or has them miss out on the CL, but has certainly done more then enough to be fired. They'll challenge for the league but not win it and they're going to be in the CL again.

Some manic-depression seems reasonable. Like getting mad at your parents when you're a teenager and they're providing you everything but being totally unbearable, simultaneously.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Dont think it's a tough task at all, they're actually in quite a good position still.
Olympiakos' home record in the CL is excellent though. Last season they won all 3 home games (beating Atletico and Juve), the season before the made it to the knockout stages and beat United at home before going out in the away game. In 12/13 they beat Arsenal at home and in 11/12 they beat Arsenal and Dortmund at home. Only Bayern and PSG got a result at their ground in recent years that's good enough for Arsenal to go through.

I'm not saying they're out. It's possible to win there by a bigger margin. But it's not a good position to be in for any team.

GloryHunter07

Wierd, nobody on that forum seems particularly bothered that they just got battered.

The caf would've lost its marbles..

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Wierd, nobody on that forum seems particularly bothered that they just got battered.

Another 6-7 years of thinking 3rd/4th in the league and making the knock-out's in the champions league as achievements: our fans would get used to mediocrity as well. Our standards would drop too. Their would be no 'lost marbles' on the caf either.

kps88

They're all pretty focused on the league this season. The real meltdown will start when that starts to go wrong.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Sad state of affairs but this is where we are, and this is where our expectations still are at present, despite some encouraging progress in terms of squad quality of late.

A 3-0 to lower league oppostion and then a spanking by what looks like the best team in Europe should hurt though. It should sting every single one of those players wearing the club badge and earning their living through it. I hope we see an adequate response in the NLD, but unfortunately there are a few signs that we're going back to the cavalier, irresponsible team that we tried so hard to grow out of.

Sisyphus' Boulder

Supports
Arsenal
Sad state of affairs but this is where we are, and this is where our expectations still are at present, despite some encouraging progress in terms of squad quality of late.

A 3-0 to lower league oppostion and then a spanking by what looks like the best team in Europe should hurt though. It should sting every single one of those players wearing the club badge and earning their living through it. I hope we see an adequate response in the NLD, but unfortunately there are a few signs that we're going back to the cavalier, irresponsible team that we tried so hard to grow out of.
What makes you say that? Just curious.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
What makes you say that? Just curious.
Not so much in the league as in the Cup competitions. Even in the league we needed a good kick up the backside against WHU before we got back on track...it's just this feeling that unless we get into a pressure situation we don't really play to our optimum level. This up and down performance level spells doom for any league campaign where the primary objective is consistency. Sometimes dour, ugly, boring consistency.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
To be fair to Arsenal, if anyone had offered them 3 points ahead of the two games against us, most fans would have taken it. A lot of people on the Caf expected them to lose both games. They should be angry, but crazy stuff happens in Munich quite often in recent years.

krazyrobus

What gets to me is how standoffish they were. If you are being hammered in position then get in their faces, put in a crunching tackle or two. The amount of time TA got on the ball for goal 1 was criminal.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
To be fair to Arsenal, if anyone had offered them 3 points ahead of the two games against us, most fans would have taken it. A lot of people on the Caf expected them to lose both games. They should be angry, but crazy stuff happens in Munich quite often in recent years.
I hope it's hurt their pride, to be passed off the park like that.

Sir A1ex

Stop sounding so condescending for a moment. I just answered your question about what I thought he was questioning.

Team A and team B are going for the same thing. If it's in team B's hands, and they get a result, it doesn't matter what team A does. Make sense? I believe that's what he was questioning.
But it does matter what team A does if they are playing each other.

True, but it's in Olympiakos hands first, not Arsenals. Arsenal are relying on other results first before they hope to have it in their hands. Which doesn't typically lend itself to the phrase.
The point I was making is that it's likely to end up in Arsenal's own hands. I just don't see what is controversial about this.

Sisyphus' Boulder

Supports
Arsenal
Not so much in the league as in the Cup competitions. Even in the league we needed a good kick up the backside against WHU before we got back on track...it's just this feeling that unless we get into a pressure situation we don't really play to our optimum level. This up and down performance level spells doom for any league campaign where the primary objective is consistency. Sometimes dour, ugly, boring consistency.
Bayern at home aside, we've been horrendous in the CL, granted. Getting our backsides handed to us by Sheffield Wednesday was a wake-up call against complacency, but one which all the big teams have suffered in previous FA Cups and League Cups. Losing to West Ham may have been a catalyst for our later consistency, and to be fair to them they've been surprise giant slayers this season, so they deserve some kudos too.

I can compartmentalise the 2-0 loss against Chelsea for obvious reasons. Other than that, as you said, our league form can't be faulted. We're level on points with City, having won some tough fixtures more than convincingly. In any event, if it takes us being out of all cup competitions to finally win the title after 11 years, I'll take it.

Sometimes teams get momentum in one competition and go on to win it, while doing terribly in others. We did that last season, winning the FA Cup while having underachieving in the league, but other examples would be Liverpool winning the CL in 2005, and Wigan winning the FA Cup the same season that they got relegated.

In other words, I don't think there's good reason to worry that our inconsistency in the cup competitions might spill over into the league.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
The players should be proud of taking three points against Bayern but they should be deeply ashamed of last night's performance. It was a defensively naive game from Arsenal players. Losing this 1-0 or 2-0 would have been acceptable but 5-1 is a proper humiliation even if it is against Bayern. If you'd asked me to win one and lose one of Bayern away and Spurs at home, I'd always pick winning against Spurs. I hope the players have a strong response lined up for the derby though.

I still don't consider us title contenders. A good run of form in the league is not uncommon for us. If we're still in the top two in March, I will consider us challengers. Otherwise this is just another phase in the life of an Arsenal fan. When we're good we look like world beaters, until we lose like wankers to shit teams or lose our consistency at some point during the season. Now is the good phase in the PL, so I am enjoying it. But I know that a bad phase is coming soon and I am not sure we will be able to deal with it.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Sounds well interesting that does you should start a podcast.
I've got serious podcast related commitment issues - it's why I post all my shit here.

EDIT: Shut up, what the feck am I even on about

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
It was a nothing result for me. My opinion on the Gunners hasn't changed. They've been stellar in the EPL in 2015, I expect them to challenge far more convincingly than in recent times. These injuries though will hurt them.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I could be wrong but I don't remember us ever winning away at Olympiakos in my lifetime. (20s).

Remember losing there an awful lot and don't expect it to change. I think the Europa League it is for us this year.

Libano

If it comes down to the last match and Arsenal show up in 100% shape there is no doubt in my mind that they can beat Olympiakos, on paper they are the far better side...one early goal and it's on. They do need Bellerin back. Olympiakos will defend like crazy and hope for the counter, but quality-wise they are a mid-table side at best.

Skizzo

But it does matter what team A does if they are playing each other.
Correct, but they both have other games first.

The point I was making is that it's likely to end up in Arsenal's own hands. I just don't see what is controversial about this.
I never said it was controversial. Originally I just responded to comment on why someone questioned you saying what you did. Since then, multiple other people have questioned it too, so it obviously wasn't just me that found it an odd comment to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.