Arthur Melo - Juventus's old number five

mu4c_20le

Juve really fecked up not putting a mandatory purchase clause in there

BerryBerryShrew

The drug treatment might be on the banned list.
Never had m[any] STD's in my life, but I imagine it's more to do with what thegregster says above. Or, perhaps, the antibiotics/treatment that would be used to treat the STD can essentially mask any PEDs that could be snuck into his system? And as a result he'd have probably been banned/unable to play until a point where the treatment was fully flushed out.
Very good points. Didn't think of drug testing.

Hoof the ball

Well seems like all the rumours were true
The rumours were that he wasn't training well, but Balague states that, "In fact the coaching staff congratulated him on his understanding of the system and his quality" and "He decided to ignore days off to keep working as he knows he still has got yo catch up with demands."

Isn't that the opposite of the rumours?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The rumours were that he wasn't training well, but Balague states that, "In fact the coaching staff congratulated him on his understanding of the system and his quality" and "He decided to ignore days off to keep working as he knows he still has got yo catch up with demands."

Isn't that the opposite of the rumours?
It's Balague, so yeah

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
You are absolutely unbearable. 'It's better to have nothing than a bad egg. ...' - are you Miguel de Cervantes?! What a bizarre aphorism.

I'm joking you're not unbearable
I see what you did there. :lol: However you forgot to ask where he is from!

As far as Arthur goes for all the talk of his supposed partying, lack of professionalism and lack of stamina (I think that this was always a problem for him even when he played for Gremio, as he is one of the most unathletic players that I have seen), he never really was that spectacular other than being great at keeping possession. Despite that he was always a very lightweight version of Verratti with a far inferior passing range, eye for the final ball, progressive plays etc. Outside of a few good months at Barça, Arthur would struggle to make forward passes no matter the opponent and no matter if you held a gun to his face. Basically he was ”found” out as a fraud largely after a while. He had a decent Copa América for Brazil back in 2019 and he had a overall decent 2019 (until the fall even though he missed quite a few games at the end of the 2018-19 season if I recall) for Barça before he imploded. Bartomeu’s shenanigans to get rid of him were one of the few good things he did.

I was thus not surprised to see him fail at Juve. Never knew what Flopp wanted with him but whatever weakens Liverpool is always welcome news.

Judas

Open to offers
and people are convinced a club that brought in this bloke in a late desperate transfer already have Bellingham, one of the hottest talents in world football already in the bag? Aye alright.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
To be fair to Klopp, last day transfers are pretty always desperate signings leading to nothing valuable.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can anybody beat a midfield of :

Sahin - Melo - Saul

In terms of hype / reality let down levels?
Didn’t Liverpool play Nuri Sahin as a number 10? Not sure if it was Rodgers who deployed him in a position he shouldn’t be in

Djemba-Djemba

Wait so Ballbag is saying Liverpool staff were impressed with Arthur for his quality and understanding the system?

So impressed they've decided already they aren't buying him long term and he'll be gone soon?

That doesn't sound like they're that impressed to me.

NotThatSoph

Wait so Ballbag is saying Liverpool staff were impressed with Arthur for his quality and understanding the system?

So impressed they've decided already they aren't buying him long term and he'll be gone soon?

That doesn't sound like they're that impressed to me.
No, he didn't say that. He said that they haven't yet decided if they're going to purchase, which makes a lot of sense because they have ten months left to do so.

Djemba-Djemba

No, he didn't say that. He said that they haven't yet decided if they're going to purchase, which makes a lot of sense because they have ten months left to do so.
Ah right ok, I must have read it wrong

I bet they don't purchase him though.

These last minute deadline day signings seem to never ever work out.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Seems conflicting reports have been coming out since the original rumors from Italy (?).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ng-RIGOROUS-training-programme-fully-fit.html

The former Barcelona player readily admitted he was not where he wanted to be fitness-wise but double training sessions and extra gym work have helped him make up ground in recent days
Arthur in turn has asked if he can gain extra playing time with the club's U21s. He has also shunned extra days off during the forthcoming international break and has asked to stay instead to train every day.
No idea how reliable Simon Jones is; though if what he's saying is true then it seems Arthur is actually applying himself. Which would make sense, as impressing with us is his best chance of reviving his career.

Also quick side thing I found interesting:
He has also brought over his mother and father Lucia and Ailton, brother Paulo and girlfriend Carolina Miarelli as he looks to acclimatise quickly.
Is this a cultural thing? Seems unsual to bring the whole family along for a loan spell.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If he's got a semi serious girlfriend then hopefully he's less focused on nightlife. Let's hope so, we could do with some luck in midfield.

criticalanalysis

Also quick side thing I found interesting:

Is this a cultural thing? Seems unsual to bring the whole family along for a loan spell.
I'm just commenting on this as a random thought but I always wondered why this isn't (well from what I assume) done more when you always hear of players 'missing their families', 'finding it culturally different to live in' etc. Some footballers I can understand in terms of finance but there's been more than enough cases of big stars on big money. Perhaps their families, close ones or friends don't want to move but that money certainly makes the choice to spend time in another country a much easier option.

suheilsworld

Nick7

Jay Spearing is a blast from the past. Assume he’s doing the same role we have for Tom Huddlestone and Paul McShane last year

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Injured for three or four months. What a window.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sounds more dramatic than it is. Half of that period is during the World Cup. He will be like a new signing in January.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sounds more dramatic than it is. Half of that period is during the World Cup. He will be like a new signing in January.
Is that supposed to recomfort them?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Ah the Naby Keita line. Always reassuring.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not in that context, here he is not making the most of being young, he is actually ruining future incomes and not setting himself for the future. I totally respect the likes of Oscar going to China and collecting a very big bag of money and making the most of their youth and talent or the likes of Verratti enjoying their life while being "professional enough" to play at a very high level. But Arthur is doing neither of these things.
The difference between the Verrattis, Neymars, etc and the Arthurs, Balotellis, is that the former love their profession, while the latter only see it as their ticket to the good life
To be fair, wasn't he barely motivated whilst at Barcelona anyway? I remember the infamous story of him smoking hookah with hookers (lol) a week or so before an El Clasico and him [allegedly] ending up with an STD which saw him miss the game.
Yep.
Arthur is a one-club man obviously. Night club that is, but you can't doubt or question his commitment.
I have it on good authority that this is not true. He's definitely a multi-club man. They don't all close at the same time afterall...
The STD rumour is only a rumour and I don't think that anyone reliable confirmed it. Officially he had a groin injury.
Iirc it was confirmed he got chlamydia and he yes, he couldn't play for anti-doping reasons