Arthur Melo - Juventus's old number five

Brophs

The One and Only
He's on course to break the record for how many times the same player can be like a new signing for a club.

TheReligion

Abusive
So Liverpool signed him and he’s had 13 minutes v Napoli and now requires surgery and will be sidelined for months.

:lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Probably beating the Saul Niguez loan for absolute pointlessness.

Cloud7

So Liverpool signed him and he’s had 13 minutes v Napoli and now requires surgery and will be sidelined for months.

:lol:
Sometimes it’s amazing just how terribly a signing can go. I’m sure he’s not on cheap wages either

TheReligion

Abusive
Sometimes it’s amazing just how terribly a signing can go. I’m sure he’s not on cheap wages either
Liverpool must have had one of the worst transfer windows in history?

Nunez for €100m
Arthur
Selling Mane for next to nothing

Oranges038

Probably beating the Saul Niguez loan for absolute pointlessness.
Well there was the Steven Caulker one where he ended up playing as a striker.

You also had Kim Kallstrom at Arsenal. He fell on a pebble and was out for months.

Falcao had 2. Not many are going to beat that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Isn't insurance paying the wages when a player is sidelined for a sustained period of time?

Cloud7

Isn't insurance paying the wages when a player is sidelined for a sustained period of time?
Even if it’s not the club paying it, it’s still been a disaster of a move so far

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

This signing has been great craic. :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The thumbs up friend's vacation in Italy is over. He wants to go back to England but Klopp has given his house to Darwin Nunez.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
There’ve been a few Brazilians who’ve preferred partying to putting the graft in but this guy is up there with the likes of Robinho and Adriano for lack of professionalism.

He looked pretty special at gremio, absolutely tailor made to occupy a midfield role in the tiki taka Barca sides. His decline has been steep.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
A pity, a player with a great talent to receive and hold the ball surrounded by rivales.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
"his professionalism and ability were clear to all who worked with him". :lol:

Klopp is fantastic with the English language.

TsuWave

There’ve been a few Brazilians who’ve preferred partying to putting the graft in but this guy is up there with the likes of Robinho and Adriano for lack of professionalism.
Was Adriano unprofessional?

I was reading this recently:

They said that I disappeared. “Adriano walked away from millions.” “Adriano is on drugs.” “Adriano disappeared into the favelas.”

You know how many times I’ve seen those headlines? Shit. Well, here I am. Smiling in front of you. Do you want to hear the truth? Straight from me? No bullshit? Well, pull up a chair then, brother.

Now, I know what you are thinking. “But Adriano, why did you walk away from football? Why did you leave us?”

I get this question every time I go back to Italy. You know, sometimes I think I am one of the most misunderstood footballers on the planet. People don’t really understand what happened to me. They have the story all wrong. It’s very simple, honestly. In the span of nine days, I went from the happiest day of my life, to the worst day of my life. I went from heaven to hell. For real.

August 4, 2004. Nine days later. I was back in Europe with Inter. I got a call from home. They told me my father had died. Heart attack.

I don’t really want to talk about it, but I will tell you that after that day, my love for football was never the same. He loved the game, so I loved the game. It was that simple. It was my destiny. When I played football, I played for my family. When I scored, I scored for my family. So when my father died, football was never the same.

I was across the ocean in Italy, away from my family, and I just couldn’t cope with it. I got so depressed, man. I started drinking a lot. I didn’t really want to train. It had nothing to do with Inter. I just wanted to go home. To be honest with you, even though I scored a lot of goals in Serie A over those few years, and even though the fans really loved me, my joy was gone. It was my dad, you know? I couldn’t just flip a switch and feel like myself again.

Not all injuries are physical, you understand?

When I popped my Achilles in 2011? Man, I knew that’s when it was over for me, physically. You can get surgery and rehabilitate it and try to carry on, but you will never be the same. My explosiveness was gone. My balance was gone. Shit, I still walk with a limp. I still have a hole in my ankle.

It was the same thing when my father died. Except the scar was inside me.

“Man, what happened to Adriano?”

Brother, it’s simple. I have a hole in my ankle, and one in my soul.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/adriano-has-a-story-to-tell-soccer

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Was Adriano unprofessional?

I was reading this recently:
I wasn’t aware of the exact reasons behind his decline aside from the well publicised injuries (which to be honest came well after there’d been years of stories about his drinking, drug use and lack of professionalism) but a significant part of professionalism in any walk of life will be how you deal with adversity and whether it completely sinks you or whether you grit your teeth and work your way through it.

Evidently he feels his father’s death sent him into a depression led career death-spiral, but the gap between his fantastic ability and his dearth of professionalism was extremely well publicised both in his homeland and in Europe from reasonably early on in his career.

For context, Alisson Becker’s father who he was extremely close to drowned unexpectedly late last year. He took a week or two to visit his family in Brazil before returning and knuckling down. Aside from Salah, Becker has pretty much been the only player at the club who has performed this season.

antk

I wasn’t aware of the exact reasons behind his decline aside from the well publicised injuries (which to be honest came well after there’d been years of stories about his drinking, drug use and lack of professionalism) but a significant part of professionalism in any walk of life will be how you deal with adversity and whether it completely sinks you or whether you grit your teeth and work your way through it.

Evidently he feels his father’s death sent him into a depression led career death-spiral, but the gap between his fantastic ability and his dearth of professionalism was extremely well publicised both in his homeland and in Europe from reasonably early on in his career.

For context, Alisson Becker’s father who he was extremely close to drowned unexpectedly late last year. He took a week or two to visit his family in Brazil before returning and knuckling down. Aside from Salah, Becker has pretty much been the only player at the club who has performed this season.
Mental health is health. You don't say that a player with a broken leg that doesn't train is unprofessional, and you shouldn't say that a player that is suffering from depression is unprofessional.

Illness isn't "adversity" to "work through".

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Mental health is health. You don't say that a player with a broken leg that doesn't train is unprofessional, and you shouldn't say that a player that is suffering from depression is unprofessional.

Illness isn't "adversity" to "work through".
It’s a tough one. We aren’t in a position to judge really, without being close to him at the time. A differentiation has to be made though between being depressed and having depression. One is a mental health disorder, another is an emotion that everyone goes through when dealing with tough times. And part of being successful in life - and I don’t mean monetarily - is having the mental strength and emotional intelligence to deal with adversity. Rather than turning to drink and drugs. That’s not a judgement.

I would venture that dealing with depression as a mental health affliction would’ve presented itself before his father’s death. And although we can’t say for sure it didn’t, from his own description it sounds like he was very affected by his father’s death and went into a self destructive cycle as a result. Which is different.

But I don’t want to be quick to judge when I don’t know all the facts. Whether he genuinely has mental health problems, or he lacked the mental capacity to deal with his grief, the way his career unravelled was tragic. His choices to disappear into the favelas and be seen in videos brandishing automatic weapons, suggests he still had the capacity to seek out diversions he found fulfilling. It just wasn’t football. A real shame because he was a super player in his prime.