g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arturo Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

What a 'scintillating' post. Were you as delighted with Cleverley's performance? Do you really think we don't need another midfielder in ?

Face-shattering from you Kevin, face-shattering.
What do you expect from a football professor?

Godfather

In current form Fletch would be ideal back up. Not sure when we decided back up players had to be mid table standard (Cleverley)
IN current form Fletch would be the first on the team sheet tbh. It would probably be him alongside Vidal at this stage. As Pogue also mentioned.

Bojan11

IN current form Fletch would be the first on the team sheet tbh. It would probably be him alongside Vidal at this stage. As Pogue also mentioned.
Vidal hasn't had a proper preseason yet.

If we do sign him, I expect him for a few weeks to be on the bench and get used to our system.

NJM78

If you look at his record with Alkmaar, Munich and the Dutch, then you can assume we will do better than last season. Especially when you consider what he had at his disposal at Alkmaar and with the Dutch. Bayern Munich's transfer windows weren't as good as they are now, when he was there, still he got them to the Champions League final and won the championship with them.

Ferdinand's and Vidic's form last year wasn't any better than most of the squad. Giggs didn't play much and Evra was reliable, but still made far too many errors, mostly because he was overplayed IMO. We had to replace them eventually. Since when has it been a bad thing in our history to trust the youth and the manager for the season ahead? And I'm sure, we will sign some players before the window closes.
I'm not not trusting van Gaal and yes those players did not play as much as in the past but the experience they give is vital Vidic was a rock when it really mastered and Evra although overplayed and prone to positional errors really came good against the likes of Bayern. Obviously players retire leave etc but to lose four in one go is not a positive. Yes I am aware of van Gaals past and as recently as a few weeks back you can see that he gets results from lesser teams.
I still think he will need a more experienced CB and a better midfielder to partner Herrera as when the season gets into full swing with high pressure games against the likes of City coming thick and fast we will need some strong characters in the changing room.

bucky

I'm not not trusting van Gaal and yes those players did not play as much as in the past but the experience they give is vital Vidic was a rock when it really mastered and Evra although overplayed and prone to positional errors really came good against the likes of Bayern. Obviously players retire leave etc but to lose four in one go is not a positive. Yes I am aware of van Gaals past and as recently as a few weeks back you can see that he gets results from lesser teams.
I still think he will need a more experienced CB and a better midfielder to partner Herrera as when the season gets into full swing with high pressure games against the likes of City coming thick and fast we will need some strong characters in the changing room.
Any reason?

I agree with the last bit, but I think some players will step up this season, Rooney already did it last season and I'm expecting Evans, Jones and van Persie do the same. Vidal would obviously be such a player you are describing.

NJM78

Two sides of Fletch tonight the LvG improved player spraying the ball around with pin point accuracy and the Fletcher of old dallying on the ball and miss hitting passes with regularity.

For me both him and Carrick should be no more than squad players, trusted back up but we must surely be aiming for better in the first eleven.
Cleverley, Anderson and Fellaini are pretty useless so this area must be strengthened whether that's a Vidal, Strootman or whoever there are surely better players out there.

NJM78

Any reason?

I agree with the last bit, but I think some players will step up this season, Rooney already did it last season and I'm expecting Evans, Jones and van Persie do the same. Vidal would obviously be such a player you are describing.
?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He'd be perfect with Herrera in this system where clearly both CM's are allowed to use their intelligence to know when to stay and when to join the attack.
I'm glad someone has some sense. A load of numpties have been saying "no way it will work, both too attacking" or "waste of money asking one of them to curb their attacking instincts to be a defensive midfielder".

I don't think people realise just how much of an advantage it would be to have two midfielders who are both top draw in both attack and defense. Get them working in unison and it'll be bloody beautiful.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm glad someone has some sense. A load of numpties have been saying "no way it will work, both too attacking" or "waste of money asking one of them to curb their attacking instincts to be a defensive midfielder".

I don't think people realise just how much of an advantage it would be to have two midfielders who are both top draw in both attack and defense. Get them working in unison and it'll be bloody beautiful.
Agreed!

Ash_G

To be fair, I don't feel as if the club "should" dismiss the story if it's not true. The amount of players we're linked with, you can't expect the club to say "No, we're not in for Guarin/McCarthy/Player Z".

I guess the Vidal story has been running for a while, which may differ it to the above names for example. But if it's not true, then the media have lied and spouted crap. I don't think that should force the club, to act and dismiss rumours. It's not their fault after all. Plus, the club gains nothing from saying we're not linked with Vidal if it's we're not in for him. It'll just make the media look elsewhere and potentially open up United's real transfer targets. Vidal story could be a good smokescreen.
I agree completely that the club wouldn't want to and shouldn't have to quash every rumour. But as you said this has been on going and if there is no interest then I think the club would benefit from stopping the rumour, maybe it's a bit late now but had they acted quicker (assuming we're not trying) then it stops fans building expectations because even if the club were never in for him there will be plenty of people both fans and not fans who will believe they were and will look at it as another failure by the club/Woodward. Given our recent track record I would think the club and particularly Woodward would want to control fans expectations a lot more.

I personally wouldn't see the logic in not dismissing it if we weren't trying for it. I don't think we should have to for every single rumor but when they reach this level I don't see how it serves us. Plus tbh I don't read in to the "smokescreens". I think there are too many people connected to each other for transfers to really be completed in secret by those who's business it is to know these things. Plus we seem to be the only club who deals in smokescreens, don't really hear it about other clubs.

NJM78

You said you are not trusting van Gaal, I was asking for a reason.
No I said I'm not, not trusting him in relation to you saying not trusting youth or the manager. Sorry bad Grammar or something.

Yes I'm well behind him and excited, just think he'd be shooting himself in the foot if he does not get another midfielder and CB especially with Carrick out for 3 months.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

They both have great defensive and attacking capabilities, don't know how anyone could say different!

Are you still confident Vidal will be ours mate?

Ash_G

This is one of the reasons I believe it is going to happen
That's part of what I was trying to get at, for me it would be a poor move from the club not to quash this rumor if there wasn't any substance based on previous history. Whether that means it can be completed or not is a different matter as we might be keeping things quiet to try to get the price down, I would think we'd have already agreed personal terms with him but as I said if we're not interested then our silence is not wise imo.

bugmat

Agreed - intelligence and ability and it will be great.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
They both have great defensive and attacking capabilities, don't know how anyone could say different!

Are you still confident Vidal will be ours mate?
Hugely confident mate. He's a United player, just a matter of time.

RetroStu

not going to happen until we break the thread record woody is watching the thread and until we break it its not happening.
You know when Woody said he reads social media, do you think he reads this forum?. I would find it hard to believe Woody and a fair few other at the club don't read the best Utd forum on the net, it makes you wonder what he's thinking when he reads threads like this knowing that he's going to get a lot of shite if we don't get Vidal or at least 1 big name player.

Devil may care

It's a symptom of Makeleleism, ever since he was a pivoital cog for Real Madrid and then Chelsea people think you have to play with a DM that basically sits in front of the back 4 all game, the idea of 2 box to box CM's working as a cohesive duo seems extinct, hopefully LvG can bring it back.

Trizy

Exactly, I've been drooling over the possibility of this and the thing that keeps replaying in my head is a forward loses the ball while Herrera is in attack, Vidal stands his ground at the half way line (because they take turns in attack) and Herrera being the machine he is chases down his man winning a brilliant tackle, tired from his run he picks out Vidal and Vidal charges up the field! :drool:

tippex

You know when Woody said he reads social media, do you think he reads this forum?. I would find it hard to believe Woody and a fair few other at the club don't read the best Utd forum on the net, it makes you wonder what he's thinking when he reads threads like this knowing that he's going to get a lot of shite if we don't get Vidal or at least 1 big name player.
I would be amazed if its not in someones remit to keep an eye on whats being said on forums etc

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Considering how much I blow Woodwards trumpet around this forum (oi oi), I'd be surprised if he doesn't return the favour and gift me Vidal back.

Top bloke.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
I can guarantee you that he will have people monitoring this forum and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a quick look on his lunch breaks or whatever. I used to work for one of the worlds biggest music companies and we'd constantly monitor forums and tweets ranging from hashtags to even knowing about regular posters on certain forums.

It's regular modern business practise if you are in the public eye. If this is in fact the biggest and best united forum it's guaranteed it's monitored.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can guarantee you that he will have people monitoring this forum and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a quick look on his lunch breaks or whatever. I used to work for one of the worlds biggest music companies and we'd constantly monitor forums and tweets ranging from hashtags to even knowing about regular posters on certain forums.

It's regular modern business practise if you are in the public eye. If this is in fact the biggest and best united forum it's guaranteed it's monitored.
I remember years ago on Talking Reds some guy used to pretend to be Ruud Van Nistelrooy and people always mocked him. Then he made a thread saying ''I'm off'' and a few weeks later Ruud actually left. Which is quite funny.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
I remember years ago on Talking Reds some guy used to pretend to be Ruud Van Nistelrooy and people always mocked him. Then he made a thread saying ''I'm off'' and a few weeks later Ruud actually left. Which is quite funny.
Yeah I mean what better way is there to monitor fans reactions and keep them at an arms length? By reading these forums.

I've often wondered if we have any United staff or players as members. You have to remember alot of them are fans like us, they want to be part of the hype. It's not crazy to think so.

RetroStu

Pshh...monitoring. There are [probably] several club employees already posting here.
Yep, probably the few posters who always say we are spoiled if we actually want one of the biggest clubs in the world to actually act like it for once in the transfer market.
Why would a 'real' fan say stuff like that?.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah I mean what better way is there to monitor fans reactions and keep them at an arms length? By reading these forums.

I've often wondered if we have any United staff or players as members. You have to remember alot of them are fans like us, they want to be part of the hype. It's not crazy to think so.
I'd do it if I was a player.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Hugely confident mate. He's a United player, just a matter of time.
What makes you so confident? There's nothing out there to suggest it's inevitable. I bloody hope it happens though, could potentially be our best/most needed buy ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.