Ashes I - 2013 - In England

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Aussies bowling is very good. Pattinson is potentially world class. I just hope Cummins get back fit(Cue for ghaliboy to tell me that he'll never be fit :D).
:lol: cheeky twat!

The Australian batting struggled again swing of Kumar in India. I would hate to see what Anderson will do to them
I totally agree that it had absolutely nothing to do with playing on toilet pitches. Nothing at all.

Cricket was supposedly "dying" in England in the 90s. It's always doom and gloom when you are losing.
Exactly, :lol: but nah 'I've got my head buried in the sand' coming up with conspiracy theorys and 'nah bru, take a look' opinions on the matter.
Lets get through this series with some respect and I will be happy. A win will be gold right now and with their backs to the wall... Aussies of old have come up with the goods on a number of occasions.

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
Cricket was supposedly "dying" in England in the 90s. It's always doom and gloom when you are losing.

Cricket is well behind Football in England and yet we've managed to produce a good team. A particular sport doesn't have to be the most popular for it to still be relevant and for you to produce a good team. If that was the case then India would have dominated the sport for the last 30 odd years as it is the most popular sport over there.
With a little help from some foreign channels, eh? Don't be fooled, Cricket has declined badly in England over the years. Australia is going the same way as the England team. It will have more of a foreign presence in it from here on out.

Cricket Australia just needs to do a better job of developing the youngsters who are interested and have talent.
Oh simples then. Got any ideas where Australia could find these interested and talented youngsters? South Africa maybe? Even Ireland?

I've already said the system is broken when it comes to development and nothing is being done about it because many people are looking after their own self-interests. Cricket Australia's main interest is not development of first class players, it's main interest is 20-20 and the Big Bash League. Cricket Australia see where the big bucks lay with in the future and that is 20-20.

Cricket in Australia continues to fall well behind the likes of the AFL will it comes to attaching young sportsmen. This won't being changing going into the future, in fact it's only going to get worse. And this doesn't stop with get players, supporters too. Supporters are being put off the sport more and more and are turning away from Cricket. AFL, NRL are leaving Cricket behind and even Football is well and truly passing by Cricket.

But nah, lets just throw out the "it's all going to be okay" line and bury that head well into the sand. It's all going to be okay because you know.

Exactly, :lol: but nah 'I've got my head buried in the sand' coming up with conspiracy theorys and 'nah bru, take a look' opinions on the matter. Lets get through this series with some respect and I will be happy. A win will be gold right now and with their backs to the wall... Aussies of old have come up with the goods on a number of occasions.
You're a bit of a fanboy, bru. If believing what you believe makes you happy then whatever I guess. Can't save them all.

Keep those fingers crossed and praying for that miracle, bru. Good luck to you, you'll need it.

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
What.. The facts..?

:lol:. Bell-end.
Do yourself a favour cockhead and enlighten yourself for once and go around and ask people in the know what the state of the game really is. You won't like what you hear.

I'm done anyhow. Again good luck to you, you obviously need it.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Tabata, what the feck is the point of posting here and making the same point again and again and again without backing up your assertion? Whether ghaliboy is right or wrong I don't know but at least he's bothered to do some research and backed his viewpoint up with some facts

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I think both have a fair point. Tabata in that going forward, Australian cricket needs to change quite a few things structurally and in marketing the sport on the island. On the other hand, T20 has led to a different breed of Aussie cricketers coming through, perhaps not as skilled as the ones in decades past, but there in bits and pieces. I think CA needs to understand that and alter their methods at the state level a bit, involve more former players in coaching roles, better marketing etc.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Do yourself a favour cockhead and enlighten yourself for once and go around and ask people in the know what the state of the game really is. You won't like what you hear.

Well that really is more than a little embarrassing. :lol:

Tabata, what the feck is the point of posting here and making the same point again and again and again without backing up your assertion? Whether ghaliboy is right or wrong I don't know but at least he's bothered to do some research and backed his viewpoint up with some facts

I am right, I have done research. I am a member of the NSWDCUA and the NSWCUA. I regularly get involved with projects from both of those organizations and am active in researching the health of cricket in the state. (If not for a paycheque for a general interest in the sport.) The sport is teetering on the edge. But I still would like to see how another Big Bash goes. Sydney Sixers were quite well supported (even by me who is a Thunder Fan I went to 8 of their season games over the two seasons.) even in it's second season.

I think both have a fair point. Tabata in that going forward, Australian cricket needs to change quite a few things structurally and in marketing the sport on the island. On the other hand, T20 has led to a different breed of Aussie cricketers coming through, perhaps not as skilled as the ones in decades past, but there in bits and pieces. I think CA needs to understand that and alter their methods at the state level a bit, involve more former players in coaching roles, better marketing etc.

We do, I didn't deny that from the start. At face value the strength of the brand is hinging on the success of the team. See how there are less and less endorsements at the moment with cricketers in them. Plus we aren't seeing the T20 generation quite yet. It's still another ten years away. It's more the fact that our lads don't really get a wide range of conditions to play in because they rarely go to play county in England and we have a bit of a minimal contingent that play in other nations in general. I was invited to go play in England in 2005 and do a tour with my grade side but I had to turn it down because logistically I had a job and other prospects here that I couldn't walk away from. These things are becoming less and less common. Cricketers like Phil Hughes who are one dimensional that can only slap off the back foot is due to the conditions not the T20. He's a horrid T20 cricketer.

At the end of the day cricket is a very VERY hard sport to market. It's takes a full day at most, it's expensive, can be boring if you don't understand and enjoy it, can be considered too dangerous at some levels. The T20 franchises are just a cheap and quick way to be playing cricket and boosting revenue. The players need to be bred from the ground up. More focus on 'real' cricketers, 'skillful' batsman and bowlers and do away with this "we want a modern day athlete to never get injured and be rugged to withstand the rigors of a season.... Even if he's ultimately a muscle dummy and a shit cricketer."

But like I have said; If the Aussie team puts together another solid season of victories with hard work and good cricket we'll be back to the same situation of interest in cricket. Winning and Losing plays a huge huge part imo in the foundations of marketing the sport. It's not the entire structure but it's definitely a solid foundation.

zing

Zingle balls
A big score from Khawaja here would be good. That will set up the Australian team.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Rogers and Watson to open. Well, it's left and right at least. But I bet Watson gets out planting his front stool early at least 50% of this series. In any case I am super stoked for Rogers. He fecking deserves a call up.

The middle order will be interesting. (A shambles).

zing

Zingle balls
Swann's gone for a scan, hasn't he? I'd say Australia will win the thing if Swann is injured.

Can win it even otherwise. Do not see an English win here.

Rogers, Watson, Cowan, Khawaja, Clarke, Hughes/Faulkner, Haddin, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon seems to be the final 11.

Would like to see Siddle out for Bird or Harris.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Swann's gone for a scan, hasn't he? I'd say Australia will win the thing if Swann is injured.

Can win it even otherwise. Do not see an English win here.

Rogers, Watson, Cowan, Khawaja, Clarke, Hughes/Faulkner, Haddin, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon seems to be the final 11.

Would like to see Siddle out for Bird or Harris.
I will bet you a good amount that Eng will win it

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Craddock the leggy took 5 against England. Interesting.

Zing unfortunately Hughes will be in there. I vowed to not watch a single minute of it if he is selected. Hopefully I can sneak a few peeks when my old man isn't looking..

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Siddle is garbage. I really hope Bird gets a shot. Looks like Lehmann has a bit of tactical nouse and a bit of control over the playing group which could come in handy.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I rate Khawaja highly, hope he gets a chance. Classy batsman.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Aussies look pretty good in the warm up games so far...England less so. Quite worried about Cook vs. the left armers

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I rate Khawaja highly, hope he gets a chance. Classy batsman.

:confused: Do you mean in the Ashes? Or in general?

Some timely runs as well for Clarke. What is the bet Agar gets the pick over Lyon. feck I still feel for Lyon. Completely and utterly not good enough but just thrown in there with no support paratroopers style.

Aussies look pretty good in the warm up games so far...England less so. Quite worried about Cook vs. the left armers

I'd fecking kill for a lefty to swing the ball like Anderson. I don't know how well Starc can do (didn't play that warmup game). Faulkner so far is a bit of a run in and hit the deck hard kind of bowler without the finesse. Cook will do alright, Aus just have to not serve up half volley and short wide shite outside off stump like they did in Australia. Never seen a better display of sitting on the back foot getting served up shite and slaying it when he was down under last.

zing

Zingle balls
:confused: Do you mean in the Ashes? Or in general?

Some timely runs as well for Clarke. What is the bet Agar gets the pick over Lyon. feck I still feel for Lyon. Completely and utterly not good enough but just thrown in there with no support paratroopers style.

I'd fecking kill for a lefty to swing the ball like Anderson. I don't know how well Starc can do (didn't play that warmup game). Faulkner so far is a bit of a run in and hit the deck hard kind of bowler without the finesse. Cook will do alright, Aus just have to not serve up half volley and short wide shite outside off stump like they did in Australia. Never seen a better display of sitting on the back foot getting served up shite and slaying it when he was down under last.
Yea, I haven't seen Agar bowl but he's been picking up a fair number of wickets.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It's going to be hot for the next week or so, I reckon the pitch is going to bake and the first test is going to be a run fest.

zing

Zingle balls
Squad named. Compton dropped as expected but England name 5 seamers. Uncertainty over the 3rd bowler.

ArmchairCritic

Just watched some videos of the 2005 series, what a series that was. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th tests were amazing.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Just watched some videos of the 2005 series, what a series that was. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th tests were amazing.

So much tension and drama in that series. That first spell from McGrath at The Oval, That crazy tail wag.. What a difference if they had have just gotten home. (That and Flintoff being totally plumb on feck all at 6-70 and then going on to make 70 and wagging the tail fecking Billy Bowden, afraid to give LBW's).

The rest I just remember a sea of bad captaincy from Ponting.. :lol: oh and that crazy 160 he made. I remember watching that at the time just going.. 'wow.. Intense batting.'

ArmchairCritic

Some innings that was from Ponting. Some really high quality bowling throughout, remember going into the garden to practice leggies like Warne after his ball to Strauss at Edgbaston. First ball ended up in neighbours garden :lol:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Great attack that was. I think the Aussies were lucky Harmison was just starting to tail off.
Wouldn't say lucky tbh. I think England played out of their skin in that series and a couple of players never came close to repeating that level of performance. The series was so good no one remembers what happened the ashes following it

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
England's team really fell apart after that. For a lot of players that was the pinnacle and they struggled to reach the same heights after achieving what they worked for for so many years. I'd say the same for Fletcher as a coach.

Also injuries and illness to Trescothik, Flintoff, Jones, Vaughan and Harmison meant they were never the same players again.

Awesome series though. Best I've seen.

ArmchairCritic

Wouldn't say lucky tbh. I think England played out of their skin in that series and a couple of players never came close to repeating that level of performance. The series was so good no one remembers what happened the ashes following it

Well forget that and just consider the test series after in Pakistan. From 2005, Trescothick had his mental issues and retired but he was replaced by Cook. Vaughan was on the downturn before that series for me, Flintoff had injuries as did Simon Jones. Giles was never amazing. I think Jones, Harmison, Flintoff and Hoggard on top form would have blown them away. Couldn't handle the swing. Vaughan was an excellent captain too, Flintoff was never captaincy material. For me the 2007 series hinged very much on the collapse in 2nd Test at Adelaide, all one way traffic after that. Luckily for England in 2005 they won the 2nd test otherwise I reckon they'd have been mentally broken and got stuffed.

ArmchairCritic

What killed Australia that series was the lack of a third seamer, Gillespie had a mare on the back of a fine series in India I believe.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well forget that and just consider the test series after in Pakistan. From 2005, Trescothick had his mental issues and retired but he was replaced by Cook. Vaughan was on the downturn before that series for me, Flintoff had injuries as did Simon Jones. Giles was never amazing. I think Jones, Harmison, Flintoff and Hoggard on top form would have blown them away. Couldn't handle the swing. Vaughan was an excellent captain too, Flintoff was never captaincy material. For me the 2007 series hinged very much on the collapse in 2nd Test at Adelaide, all one way traffic after that. Luckily for England in 2005 they won the 2nd test otherwise I reckon they'd have been mentally broken and got stuffed.
The injuries didn't help for sure but take Flintoff for instance. He spent most of his career flattering to deceive but was at his absolute best in that series with bat and ball. Australia had McGrath out as well for a couple of games didn't they?

Best series of all time for sure though

ArmchairCritic

The injuries didn't help for sure but take Flintoff for instance. He spent most of his career flattering to deceive but was at his absolute best in that series with bat and ball. Australia had McGrath out as well for a couple of games didn't they?

Best series of all time for sure though

McGrath turned his ankle in the warm-ups for the 2nd Test, missed one match I believe. England notched 400 in rapid time as a result. Flintoff was great the summer before too, gave Lara a good working over with legstump yorkers IIRC.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Some innings that was from Ponting. Some really high quality bowling throughout, remember going into the garden to practice leggies like Warne after his ball to Strauss at Edgbaston. First ball ended up in neighbours garden :lol:

:lol::lol: I bowl leggies part time. That ball though was absolutely fecking ludicrous though.

Yep, against an in form and pretty brutal Warne as well. McGrath getting injured helped immensely and in truth if that second game had have been won by Aus and England staring down the barrel 0-2 it would have been a whole different series (well derrrr). But like any good team sport when everything falls your way it's lifting the trophy that counts.

Still get the shits when I see Ponting look at that absolute road and say 'we gonna bowl first mate..' :mad: for fecks sake!

For good measure, Bell could not pick him to save his life :lol:
:lol: I quite like Bell and I always have. But jesus christ the Aussie fielding was lightyears better than it is now. Martyn, Hayden and Ponting. Safest hands in the game. That catch to get rid of Pieterson :eek:. Watching that, the LBW of Bell really early in the video :lol: poor bastard. Warne turns it square the entire test match but he leaves one of the balls that turns a fraction (even looked like it kind of swung in after it pitched which is crazy) and will go on to hit off stump. Unlucky!

Lol at Pieterson just clogging across the line when Warne ever came on in that series. Most of the time it worked :lol:

What killed Australia that series was the lack of a third seamer, Gillespie had a mare on the back of a fine series in India I believe.
Gillespie that whole series just bowled fecking short rank shite. I don't know why, it's as if someone said feck trying to bowl on a good length just bang everything in short and at the hip. It was bizarre.

McGrath turned his ankle in the warm-ups for the 2nd Test, missed one match I believe.
He was undercooked and came back way to quickly from that and just wasn't the same. We lacked that other world class seamer to step in. But I mean which attack in the world can afford to take a world class seamer on tour and have them step in if another world class seamer gets injured.