Ashes I - 2013 - In England

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
You've completely missed the point. If random noise shows on snickometer, as it clearly did then, then (the second time) what happens if it showed a millisecond early and made it look like the bat did hit the ball? The second noise that showed when they did it initially clearly wasn't bat or ball. There's too much opportunity for false positives.

I get the point but Snicko's been around for ages and it works far better than hotspot. There's very rarely been a random noise at the exact moment it's past the bat. Naked eye and Snicko works well.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I like bell and your argument stands up well because I would have seen him dismissed at any time but still respected his innings :D

Oggmonster

There's a difference being happy for someone and appreciating their efforts/talent and hoping someone does well. I'm sure you appreciated Bell's ton in the first test but when you were watching were you hoping he reached it?

Stuff like that tends to imply some kind of fall from grace really I find.

This series is basically over so I'm sure some English people pity the Australian's especially the ones who are doing well despite the team, Torres is another example. The main example I find is Wenger, most United fans couldn't stand him when they were winning the league, now it's as if people feel sorry for him at times when Arsenal struggle.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Who's going to win then lads? I've heard a couple days rain is probably going to happen, so that would mean a draw is likely, especially if Aus can bat till half way through tomorrow?

ArmchairCritic

That's the worst of it for me, if it was Clarke I could understand I suppose.

To be fair both were decent reviews, fine margins. The second one they'd given before purely on audio (Hughes in one of the tests), wonder if they got a call to use HotSpot more after Lunch in light of Khajawa's decision.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
BCCI were right about the DRS.

ArmchairCritic

BCCI were right about the DRS.

:lol: As much as it pains me to say it does appear so. I think it's great idea but this series has shown the flaws all too well, need to go away and iron out the kinks.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
If you accept that technology cannot completely remove controversial decisions, then DRS is better than what we had previously.

KM

The implementation of the DRS has been a farce and the hot spot has been fecking awful throughout. The hawk eye and snicko should be used from now, although Even in that umpires call thing is a bit shady.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hotspot will probably get let go once Snicko becomes real time (being developed by the guys who put Hotspot through)

Anyway England have been let down now by no DRS. Some seriously bad umpiring in this series. DRS takes the flack but you can understand why there is a need for technology with the Umpires in this state.

KM

That looked plumb in real time.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I know football refs get some stick, but atleast they're half decent. These cricket fellas seem a bit clueless.

NinjaFletch

Can someone slating DRS please tell me what has been DRS' fault today?

Shocking umpiring surely, if anything, shows how much its neede.

FlawlessThaw

It's harsh losing a review on "umpires Call" on LBW.

You should be able to keep the review as technically you were right to review as hawkeye shows he would have been out
It might be harsh but it is necessary or else every LBW appeal will be reviewed. And if you have a third umpire like today then you will be lucky to get 60 overs in a day.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Maybe it's the DRS which is undermining the umpires. Instead of getting on with their jobs, properly, they are constantly being challenged.

What happened to the days when the umpire, unsure of an appeal, made a square shape with his hands & the 3rd umpire confirmed the decision on a replay, either way. It shouldn't be in the hands of the players, the umpire's decision should be final. The umpire should be the only one asking for a replay.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Maybe it's the DRS which is undermining the umpires. Instead of getting on with their jobs, properly, they are constantly being challenged.

What happened to the days when the umpire, unsure of an appeal, made a square shape with his hands & the 3rd umpire confirmed the decision on a replay, either way. It shouldn't be in the hands of the players, the umpire's decision should be final. The umpire should be the only one asking for a replay.
Yeah I agree. Personally I'd get rid of DRS completely and go back to normal. From time to time you will have games where umpires get heavily criticised but overall much less controversy

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Good stuff from Aus today. People were writing them off and overrating England a bit too much. When everything is said and done, Aus are 2-0 down but have only played one horrible test match out of 10 overall to play.

FlawlessThaw

There's been no swing today from the England bowlers so in that sense it has been easier for the Aussie batsman.

Still they haven't got themselves out like they did at Lords. The batting line up looks good at the moment with the only adjustment now likely to be swapping Warner and Smith.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Excellent innings from Clarke, hopefully he keeps going and the Aussies can get 450+. Depending on how Warner does, I think they should swap him and Watson and then drop Smith 1 place down the order.

Not much help there for the English pace bowlers in the action I've seen so far today. I can't wait to hear Willis' assessment of the latest umpiring debacle.

KM

Fair play to Steven Smith. Has proven me wrong in this series so far.

NinjaFletch

A bit shocking that everybody is too busy whinging to congratulate Clarke.

Excellent knock, captains one.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
A bit shocking that everybody is too busy whinging to congratulate Clarke.

Pretty fecking bummed for Rogers. He must have got out just after I went to sleep. He was absolutely exquisite in the morning session, some really fantastic batting. Clarkey as well playing himself back into form. I am absolutely delighted with that. The first semblance of real 'dominance' we have seen from the Aussie team.

I just got through saying to my old man that the first two games were a bit of a 'not decided by the cricket they played coin toss' and it's true. Under different circumstances the first test could have gone either way. The second well.. That's a harder story to argue.. But a few mental issues and non cricketing issues crept in there while England just plugged away.

Not getting my hopes up as this will more than likely be a draw but I would hope that our quicks/Lyon can get something out of this pitch.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It's too late for you to win the Ashes back in this series but you've certainly got a chance in Australia.