Ashes I - 2013 - In England

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Alistair Cook is a rubbish captain.

I get that he's a senior member of the squad and our best batsman but he has, seemingly, zero cricket nous whatsoever.

Everything is done to (presumably) Flower's rigid plan, there is no improvisation, no unorthodoxy, no flair, no brains.

The field he sets are unimaginative and dour, and he sticks to plan A (rotate seamers from both ends, introduce Swann, rotate seamers from the other end) regardless of the match situation, the state of the pitch or the urgency of the game.

He has done nothing today to prevent Australia's accumulation of runs, you can't always rely on your bowlers to bail you out as captain.

Right now we're sitting and watching a test number 9 accumulate a 50 with relatively little pressure, Cook is playing for a draw on day 2.

Awful.

And surprise, surprise, Root gets bought on after tea clearly after Cook had a chat with someone else in the management.

Yeah I agree with this. Really poor captaincy today from him. Clarke is way better. As said though we haven't got anyone else.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The best captain is the one that wins. Cook's captaincy reflects his batting style, most captains work towards a plan set up by the management team. I think Cook and Flower are very conservative and you see that in the fields set. It depends a lot on the match situation, I'm not overly enthused by Cook's style but England's success is related to a methodical style. Only Pietersen and Prior go against the grain.

ArmchairCritic

You're not really going to risk a review with a nightwatchman but Bresnan seemed reluctant to go, Cook didn't back him.

Oggmonster

You're not really going to risk a review with a nightwatchman but Bresnan seemed reluctant to go, Cook didn't back him.

I think in fairness to Cook given how awful the umpires have been this series and if anything the 3rd umpire seems to be "protecting" those on the fields you could make the argument Cook (and Clarke as well) will have no faith in them anymore so it is a bit of a waste of a review, if it was Trott or Pietersen I'd imagine it would be different.

ArmchairCritic

England have to be more positive tomorrow, they invite even more pressure on to themselves batting they way they do, at least rotate the strike a bit more.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
:lol:

The umpiring decisions and use or non use of DRS in Englands case has been comical this series.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Alistair Cook is a rubbish captain.

I get that he's a senior member of the squad and our best batsman but he has, seemingly, zero cricket nous whatsoever.

Everything is done to (presumably) Flower's rigid plan, there is no improvisation, no unorthodoxy, no flair, no brains.

The field he sets are unimaginative and dour, and he sticks to plan A (rotate seamers from both ends, introduce Swann, rotate seamers from the other end) regardless of the match situation, the state of the pitch or the urgency of the game.

He has done nothing today to prevent Australia's accumulation of runs, you can't always rely on your bowlers to bail you out as captain.

Right now we're sitting and watching a test number 9 accumulate a 50 with relatively little pressure, Cook is playing for a draw on day 2.

Awful.

And surprise, surprise, Root gets bought on after tea clearly after Cook had a chat with someone else in the management.

I agree with all of this. I'd like to see Anderson getting the captaincy tbf.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Lol surely Warner can't be blamed for reviewing that?... He clearly slapped the feck out of his pad. He wouldn't have felt the edge.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Lol its hilarious. His own countries fans even hate him. He is a massive toss as well.

Perfect combination to play cricket for Aus imo.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Anderson is a great bowler however would not be a good captain in my opinion. Cook has his faults as captain, however I hope he can get stronger and a bit more independent as he gains experience in the role.

He'd be an improvement over Cook IMO. I said it before, but Cook is very, very defensive as a captain.

zing

Zingle balls
I over-rated Starc massively. He's like the Australian Ishant Sharma.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I over-rated Starc massively. He's like the Australian Ishant Sharma.
Hah, I was going to come here and say surprisingly his economy rate has looked really good... Lol he's a very "Shall I do this boss..? Ok... " type bowler. No brains.

zing

Zingle balls
Hah, I was going to come here and say surprisingly his economy rate has looked really good... Lol he's a very "Shall I do this boss..? Ok... " type bowler. No brains.
Like I said earlier.. no rhythm, no intensity.

Very good for limited overs.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Zing, Hazelwood is the same. I saw him take 4/something live at the SCG and he had the other 5 batsman dropped off his bowling so essentially should have had 9fer. Crazy but he's the same imo.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Pretty much our last hope this partnership of saving the game (assuming weather is fine). Bairstow's a walking wicket and Prior's in poor nick. Tail might stick around but we'd be way too far behind for it to matter too much. Really important Pieterson doesn't give his wicket away as he has played well so far.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I personally don't think Lyon is enough of a wicket thief. He's far to 'toss it up and lets see if we can't get a wicket ay..' hell just keep clogging in around the wicket hoping for an LB.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's the best you've got though. Might as well stick with him than randomly drop him and then bring him back when they realise the replacement is shit

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Oh yeah for sure. Wasn't saying 'feck him off' I just think on this pitch if we had a spinner who would be guaranteed 3-5 wickets we'd probably roll England here.