Ashley Williams: "I wanted to knock Suarez out"

RK

If he intentionally kicked it at VP's head it's a red card for violent conduct, if he didn't there's no red card offence that he's committed, it's a yellow card offence and VP getting hit is just unfortunate.
So if I conceded a free kick, got angry, and belted the ball directly into the referee's face (accidentally), you'd expect no red card?

It's not unfortunate, it's reckless and dangerous through negligence. "Careless, reckless, using excessive force" are key words, although the may not apply directly to this situation.

Is it unfortunate if I jump in two-footed off the ground and not in control, win the ball, but put stud marks in your testicles?

Also bear in mind that tackling isn't automatically a booking, whereas kicking the ball away is.

kietotheworld

So if I conceded a free kick, got angry, and belted the ball directly into the referee's face (accidentally), you'd expect no red card?

It's not unfortunate, it's reckless and dangerous through negligence. "Careless, reckless, using excessive force" are key words, although the may not apply directly to this situation.

Is it unfortunate if I jump in two-footed off the ground and not in control, win the ball, but put stud marks in your testicles?

Also bear in mind that tackling isn't automatically a booking, whereas kicking the ball away is.
I'd expect a red card but it wouldn't be the correct decision, the referee would probably think you'd done it on purpose and send you off for violent conduct.

Kicking the ball away is only a booking if the referee considers it to be unsporting conduct

Here's the relevant law

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

serious foul play

violent conduct

spitting at an opponent or any other person

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by

deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

receiving a second caution in the same match

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.
If it was unintentional I can't see that he's committed any of those and if he hasn't then the referee can't send him off. Serious foul play is the area where "careless reckless or using excessive force" is relevant, but it can't be serious foul play is the ball isn't even in play.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It's not in the rules of course.

It's in a way similar to that goal in the CL. It's just unsportsmanlike.

kietotheworld

If it's intentional it's very much in the rules as violent conduct, and a very long ban would be appropriate. I don't think there's enough in any of the videos to reliably say it was though, and if it's not then a yellow card is fair enough for me. VP is owed an apology but that's about it.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
If it was unintentional I can't see that he's committed any of those and if he hasn't then the referee can't send him off. Serious foul play is the area where "careless reckless or using excessive force" is relevant, but it can't be serious foul play is the ball isn't even in play.
:confused:

It can most certainly be serious foul play if the ball isn't in play. The laws aren't suspended just because it's a dead ball. If you headbutt someone or leather the ball into the back of their head it's violent, regardless of whether or not the ball is in play.

If it was unintentional it was at best reckless and dangerous. You can't allow things that "might be accidental" through if their intentional counterparts would warrant serious attention, since you now get the situation where people can do it and claim it was a mistake.

Timdbro

While doing a Busquets may well have resulted in Williams getting a well deserved sending off (and helped United win perhaps) I would hate to have Van Persie acting like that.
I'm not saying VP should have 'done a Busquets', which would mean completely simulating some non-existent contact or at the very least feigning a life threatening head injury. All I'm saying is that having a ball smashed at him like that must have hurt like hell, so act like someone whose head is really hurting rather than springing up and grabbing Williams' shirt. His teammates had his back, I'm sure they'd have had a right go at the cnut while VP was recovering. And then maybe SAF's reaction wouldn't have appeared quite so bizarre.

RK

Kie, you can't just make up your own laws of the game. At least you managed to quote them correctly, but common sense would say your interpretation is wrong.

kietotheworld

:confused:

It can most certainly be serious foul play if the ball isn't in play. The laws aren't suspended just because it's a dead ball. If you headbutt someone or leather the ball into the back of their head it's violent, regardless of whether or not the ball is in play.

If it was unintentional it was at best reckless and dangerous. You can't allow things that "might be accidental" through if their intentional counterparts would warrant serious attention, since you now get the situation where people can do it and claim it was a mistake.
If you headbutt someone you're not sent off for serious foul play, you're sent off for violent conduct, regardless of where the ball is. I'm with you on it being reckless and dangerous, but I think the referee has to make an interpretation on whether it's intentional, even if it's a difficult decision.

Kie, you can't just make up your own laws of the game. At least you managed to quote them correctly, but common sense would say your interpretation is wrong.
I don't think it is common sense to send someone off for accidentally hitting someone in the head with a football.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
ive said for a while i hope somebody finishes the career of him and terry. when they collided at stamford bridge earlier in the season i couldnt contain my excitement. i was praying for shattered tibia's and fibia's all over the place. harsh i know and would agree with any other player ever.......but those two are horrible dispicable cnuts who personify football being a poorer game and attraction than it once was.

Robbie Boy

Player plays well in a big match and is instantly linked with bigger clubs - with no foundation whatsoever, shocker!

To be fair to him, he has struck up a very good / effective partnership with the loveable eccentric Flores this season. But he is not good enough for a team like Arsenal or Liverpool. Just lazy journalism really.

Swaters16

Player plays well in a big match and is instantly linked with bigger clubs - with no foundation whatsoever, shocker!

To be fair to him, he has struck up a very good / effective partnership with the loveable eccentric Flores this season. But he is not good enough for a team like Arsenal or Liverpool. Just lazy journalism really.
I'd love it though if Liverpool signed a player that hated their star man. The training ground could end up as a war zone.