Ashley Young - Captain of Manchester United

Based Adnan

The worst playing captain in United history. The worst "leader" to ever be captain in United history.

How the feck has he survived at this club for this long? Even at his absolute peak as a winger he was never good enough never mind as a washed up 35 year old make shift full back.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
The worst playing captain in United history. The worst "leader" to ever be captain in United history.

How the feck has he survived at this club for this long? Even at his absolute peak as a winger he was never good enough never mind as a washed up 35 year old make shift full back.
Oh I don't know, we had a few dodgy ones in the late 1800's, and early 1900's, shocking they were :lol:

SaintMuppet

Somebody has compromising photos of Ed and the club mascot at the Xmas party..........

No other reason tbh

hobbers

Appointing a club captain who isnt good enough to get on the pitch is a massive statement of fecking weakness.

You have a starting eleven and none of them have the requisite experience, leadership or bottle, essentially is what you're saying to everyone. Pathetic that Ole hasn't learned from Valencia's pointless stint as club captain. It's not supposed to be a fecking mascot role, or the dressing room DJ in Young's case.

Lee565

Weak leadership, weak management, it's obvious how this season is going to turn out

Enigma_87

You know who
Because the managers deemed other positions to be more important for improvement and they all got sacked before getting round to RB.
You do have a point there. He didn't even had a reasonable competition for the spot, neither managers identified one..

clarkydaz

We are going full Rooney again, the captain being the worst player on the pitch and a liability. Incredible

arthurka

And yet Ashley Young having a fairly unimportant armband is the thing that tips you over the edge? Perhaps your mother should’ve taught you to grow up.
If that is what you got out of my post I guess we should stop this. Before we start spewing profanties over each other. Hope you do well with what life throws at you.

All the best.
Peace out..

acnumber9

If that is what you got out of my post I guess we should stop this. Before we start spewing profanties over each other. Hope you do well with what life throws at you.

All the best.
Peace out..
You were being a complete drama queen. You know you aren’t going to stop following Utd because of Ashley Young and when you get the attention you wanted you start crying.

AFC NimbleThumb

If this happens then we may aswell put a pin in the next few seasons.

If this man captain will show just how out of touch the club is with the fans; he has served us well [given he is never a fullback] but he’s recently signed a 1-year deal. imo captains aren’t players you sign to rolling contracts - where is the forward planning!?

His performances this season have been beyond reproach, he simply isn’t good enough - making him captain would surely mean guaranteeing he starts an ample amount of games; if he’s doing that for us at fullback then we’re done for.

dove

If this happens then we may aswell put a pin in the next few seasons.

If this man captain will show just how out of touch the club is with the fans; he has served us well [given he is never a fullback] but he’s recently signed a 1-year deal. imo captains aren’t players you sign to rolling contracts - where is the forward planning!?

His performances this season have been beyond reproach, he simply isn’t good enough - making him captain would surely mean guaranteeing he starts an ample amount of games; if he’s doing that for us at fullback then we’re done for.
We already did that by hiring Ole.

AFC NimbleThumb

We already did that by hiring Ole.
This isn’t the Ole thread so i’m not here to debate that, we have the manager we have; he’s yet to sign a player & his form has been 2 extremes whereas our soon to be captain has had one extreme to his form, the terrible.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And we're trying to get the two want aways, De Gea and Pogba to stay on the promise of captaincy!
Like it's the 1970s and the players see it as a huge honour!
I want Pogba to stay but if this is true, it's a fecking joke. We're whoring the captaincy to keep players now :lol: ?

Enigma_87

You know who
I want Pogba to stay but if this is true, it's a fecking joke. We're whoring the captaincy to keep players now :lol: ?
Or we legitimately don't have a choice? :lol:

I mean who is captain material in our team?

Enigma_87

You know who
Defo not Pogba, of that I'm 100% sure. The man needs to play the game simply, that's when he's at his best, I think as a captain, he would try too much to be a super hero on the field.
Yeah, neither him or De Gea are captain material, but from our starters none seem to be leaders or lead by example. It's genuinely mind boggling to whom it should be given - and probably given is the right word as no one has really deserved it.

Steerpike

Appointing a club captain who isnt good enough to get on the pitch is a massive statement of fecking weakness.

You have a starting eleven and none of them have the requisite experience, leadership or bottle, essentially is what you're saying to everyone. Pathetic that Ole hasn't learned from Valencia's pointless stint as club captain. It's not supposed to be a fecking mascot role, or the dressing room DJ in Young's case.
Young wasn't picked because he was captain, but because he was seen as the best option at right back.

Young wasn't selected as captain for any reason other than that he was seen as the best person for the job.

Is Ashley Young a great right back, and the one we want to see in place for next season? Obviously not.

Is Ashley Young someone you'd ideally be pencilling in for your first eleven? Obviously not.

Nevertheless there's no justification for the hate towards Ashley Young: it isn't his fault that the club didn't have better options for right back or captain, and he has been a decent servant to the club down the years (and certainly better than some of the inflated egoes who have landed here more recently). Obviously we hope that next season we will have better options.

diarm

Just posted this in the transfer tweets thread but it fits better in here. Agree totally with what most are saying.

The club captain should be one of the best and most consistent players at the club. Someone who starts week in, week out and who instills utter respect and even a little fear into his colleagues. Particularly the young pups coming up.

Look at the incredible captains this club has had over the years. I don't think there is anything that epitomises quite how shit we've become, more than the idea of Valencia or Young as club captain. Neither should be within touching distance of the squad at a club like ours, let alone be given the honour of leading it.

Dve

Hopefully, he won´t play much though, so the important question is who´s going to be the vice captain.

Choosing him as the captain is based on things most fans know nothing about, though, his standing among the other players, i.e.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Hopefully, he won´t play much though, so the important question is who´s going to be the vice captain.

Choosing him as the captain is based on things most fans know nothing about, though, his standing among the other players, i.e.
"Hey Ashely say again to younger players how bird shat in your mouth. Oh and while on subject do tell how every winger in the league also shats on you time and time again".
I can imagine players looking him in awe while he tells the stories.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
fecking pathetic. If this is true then I expect him to be starting more games than not.

Revaulx

Young wasn't picked because he was captain, but because he was seen as the best option at right back.

Young wasn't selected as captain for any reason other than that he was seen as the best person for the job.

Is Ashley Young a great right back, and the one we want to see in place for next season? Obviously not.

Is Ashley Young someone you'd ideally be pencilling in for your first eleven? Obviously not.

Nevertheless there's no justification for the hate towards Ashley Young: it isn't his fault that the club didn't have better options for right back or captain, and he has been a decent servant to the club down the years (and certainly better than some of the inflated egoes who have landed here more recently). Obviously we hope that next season we will have better options.
Thanks for this!

The fact that he was signed as a reserve winger eight years ago and has ended up as first choice right back speaks volumes for the appalling squad planning the club has undertaken in recent years. Likewise the fact that Darmian has been here four years despite it being obvious after six months that he wasn’t going to be good enough. None of this is Ashley Young’s fault. The abuse he gets on here is absurd.

diarm

He's captained the side enough times for us to know he isn't motivating his team to give everything they have on the pitch, that he isn't leading by example with his performances and that he isn't an inspirational presence. A high standing among our current crop of players is not something I would necessarily value in a club captain.

The idea that we should pity and placate a Manchester United captain because it's not his fault he's the best of numerous bad options is depressing beyond belief. The sort of personality who should be captaining this club doesn't need pity and patronising. They command respect by their nature.

It's not Ashley Youngs fault he is about as far away from such a figure as you can possibly imagine but to expect fans not to be vocal about him being at the club, let alone in such a role is a bit much.

Reiver

He's an inspirational captain in that no matter how shite a player is, they'll look at Ashley Young and think that could be me one day too.

Steerpike

He's captained the side enough times for us to know he isn't motivating his team to give everything they have on the pitch, that he isn't leading by example with his performances and that he isn't an inspirational presence. A high standing among our current crop of players is not something I would necessarily value in a club captain.

The idea that we should pity and placate a Manchester United captain because it's not his fault he's the best of numerous bad options is depressing beyond belief. The sort of personality who should be captaining this club doesn't need pity and patronising. They command respect by their nature.

It's not Ashley Youngs fault he is about as far away from such a figure as you can possibly imagine but to expect fans not to be vocal about him being at the club, let alone in such a role is a bit much.
I haven't suggested that anyone be pitied or placated. I simply say that the vitriol directed at a player who is still our best option at right back, and seen by those much closer to the team than you or I as our best option for captain, is misdirected (or, more frankly, plain stupid).

Having said that, I hope we can field a better right back next season, and that a figure will emerge who will make a better captain.