Ashley Young - Captain of Manchester United

Robbie Boy

But, but he’s been a ‘great servant’. If great servant means earning millions from a club that you were never remotely good enough to play for and somehow lasting as long as he has, then yeah he’s been a really fantastic servant.

Robbie Boy

Anyhow, the captaincy means feck all at this club and hasn’t for a long time. The days of iconic captains in the PL seems to be a dying breed in general. The days of captains like Keane, Gerrard, Vieira, Terry etc seems to be thing of the past.

I mean we have Young and Liverpool have Henderson. Go figure.

fergies coat

Ashley Young captain of Manchester United. The thread title says it all. This is how far we have fallen. This man is the captain of the biggest club in the country. He couldn’t get a game for Huddersfield, and that’s the truth.

el3mel

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Our main RB and captain next season. Unbelievable how can anyone still have hope.

hobbers

If he's merely playing regularly things will get very toxic for him very quickly, let alone if he's club captaining.

Abject embarrassment from everyone if either is the case. From Ed to Ole to Phelan to any and every other fecking idiot involved [if this is what's going to happen].

Shit English players get you fecking nowhere. The only good things you can extract from keeping Smalling, Jones and Young on the books 5 years+ past their sell-bys is to LEARN never to fecking let it get to the stage again.

kps88

Hopefully he's going to be captain the same way Valencia was this past season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Remember reading somewhere recently that Ole is a huge fan of his and sees him as your traditional English-style fullback (whatever that means). Anyone remember where this came from?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be fair club captains do not always play. Athletic Bilbao are my other team and their club captain was towards the end on the bench.

Cantona in disguise

I refuse to believe ole could be this daft. The fans will turn very quickly. Have we even got a decent leader though? Terrible options to captain this club.

I dont want to jump on the doom bandwagon but making young captain beggars belief.

el3mel

Denis79

If he starts next season after Ole's had a transfer window, I'll be certain Oles clueless and will fail badly.

AshRK

He shouldn't be anywhere near our club and here we have him not only playing as a RB but he is our freaking captain. He is everything wrong with our club at the moment. Just noticed that come July he will be 34, yes 34 year old crap player captaining Manchester United. Poor decision by Ole. I get all the hardwork passion thing but you cannot compromise on quality. What next, make smalling or Jones as our captain. Two more clowns who are just staying at this club for longer than they should.

Jonty

Has the club captain position not been a move to sideline players in last few years like with Carrick & Valencia. Young being put out to pasture?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Season is long over and the club still find ways to send me to the pits of despair.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ole must be going mad. Can he really equate a mediocre Young to past 'old school British captains'? Does he really remind him of winners like Roy Keane, Rio, Neville etc?

If he has that much power in the dressing room, maybe he's the one that's toxic? He's certainly not brave and not a winner, hence why we've been shit since SAF snd he's been one of the constants under all post SAF managers.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Doesn't he have any dignity? Plenty of players have decided not to extend or retire because they decline. Not that he was ever any good anyway but still!

Jazz

Has the club captain position not been a move to sideline players in last few years like with Carrick & Valencia. Young being put out to pasture?
We hope so... because if he has a regular spot, we might as well give up.

Enigma_87

You know who
The clear out has began... with Young still captain and Mata getting extension today :D

Jazz

If he is, Ole is on a hiding to nothing.
Ole will lose his job if he continues to give him a starting role. Imagine getting your dream job and losing it because misplaced loyalty to dross. If I were the DOF he would be first on the list to go. I can't shake this feeling that he has too much to say in that dressing room. How can you have a winning mentality with someone like that leading you? Yes he works hard, but he's not good enough and we need to move on.

Imagine this was Pep, Young would be long gone.

United_We_Stand

"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to offer Paul Pogba a captaincy role at Manchester United as part of a plan to keep him at the club this summer.
Ashley Young, the 33-year-old right back is expected to become club captain next season after United decided against extending the contract of present skipper, Antonio Valencia.
But given that Young is not guaranteed to be playing every week next season — United want to sign a… (The article requires a subscription)

So basically our vice-captain will be our captain most of the time.