Ask The Opposition: Brighton & Hove Albion (A) - Premier League

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ask The Opposition is back!

This week I spoke to some Brighton fans who have kindly answered our questions leading up to tomorrows game.

Those answering are:

@The Boy

reddit user DankLlamaTech

reddit user IWantToBeAHipster

@north_seagull
on Twitter

@albionanalytics on Twitter

Hi and thanks for your time! First question, what have you made of your transfer window so far?

north_seagull - our transfer window has been pretty good. Adam Lallana was a big signing for us and Veltman looks a really good signing-however our best work may have been done internally -tying down Lewis Dunk and Ben White was a huge boost for us-most of us still feel we need another striker in though. It seems a difficult window for everyone (except Chelsea)

AlbionAnalytics - Adam Lallana and Joël Veltman are very shrewd signings, costing less than a million pounds combined. Both provide an abundance of ‘experience’, in the UCL, UEL, as well as international and domestic success. Veltman gives cover at CB and RB, allowing us to shift Duffy and Montoya. The challenge with Lallana is keeping him fit, but he offers great versatility too across the midfield; he still put up good creation numbers with limited minutes in the last few seasons.

IWantToBeAHipster - I am personally 8/10 happy with this one. I really like the Lallana signing – assuming he can stay fit – even the total wage package makes it seem less of a risk than some of our signings in past few years. Veltman too was a bargain giving quality depth at RB. We have also had an influx of youth prospects returning from loan who I will come onto more and they really feel like new signings. It isn’t all about incomings and seeing lots of the old guard leave is emotional but moves us closer to Potter’s vision and frees up wages/ brings in revenue at a difficult time. The view from Brighton fans a general consensus is that we need an unrivalled left back starter, in a similar mold to Tariq at right back, as our current options are a converted March, a Bernardo who Potter seems unsure of or a very able if imperfect 6’6. But I actually don’t feel we need one right now, March (who I have been extremely critical as a winger) has shown some real quality at lb that means we don’t need to splash right now. Up top we could use a quality addition to support Maupay and Connolly who are both young, Darwin Nunez was someone we made serious moves for but chose Benfica, but I can’t see us spending more than £15m this window on one unless its loan to buy. January is usually the window you over pay in but actually I feel this window is a false economy with last season non COVID prices. I think with the pressure on Championship down clubs and countless across Europe dependent on matchday revenue – January could be a crunch time when they have to liquidate assets to stay afloat. Unfortunate as that is, for bottom half clubs like us and ones who are liquid it could be a good time. What did Lenin say about a crisis? For the time being happy with the young signings, freebies, and net positive transfer status.

The Boy - Lallana was a good signing but I was sad to see Aaron Mooy go to China, I would have liked to have kept him for another season or two. We also signed Veltman from Ajax for just 900k which is an absolute steal and great business, but central defence isn’t really where we need to strengthen, like United we have hundreds of CBs!

Anthony Knockaert turned his loan to Fulham into permanent move for 15 million so we have a bit cash as well.

We really need another striker and a left back. So far there have been links but no one has come in. I think we might do some business in the last few days.

But getting Jayson Molumby back from Millwall and Ben White from Leeds are like two new signings, especially White. So overall happy so far but would like to see another 1 or 2 join the club.

From the outside looking in, what do you think of Utd's transfer window up to this point? Also your thoughts on how the club appears to be run?

The Boy - I think DvB is a great player and great signing, but you clearly need to strengthen more. I was convinced that you’d get Sancho, but now fans won’t be getting to watch for 6 months, I would imagine that that has caused a big issue with spending over a 100 million. I think, like us you’ll make a couple of buys before the window shuts, so I wouldn’t write off your window just yet. I am surprised more haven’t left though, I would have bet that Jones, Lingard and Smalling would have gone by now.

I think over the years the club has been run badly without any strategy in place, your buys and managerial appointments have been completely scatter-gun and it has done huge damage to your squad. Lots of money has been spent, but it’s been spent generally badly. Ole seems to have turned that around and has produced some brilliant football, but some pretty awful football as well. I think your biggest issue is the level of experience in your coaches and manager. I wouldn’t call for Ole’s head as I think he’s been a positive influence on the club, but I’d look to strengthen the coaching staff around him.

north_seagull - you have been linked with some top players but yet to seal a deal- Sancho would be amazing -be surprised if you do no business. The expectation is huge for you guys-There appears to be a lot of dislike for Woodward but yet you've still signed some top players under him-i guess if you miss out on them hope you show patience for Ole-he seems a nice bloke and i'm pretty sure he is laying some solid foundations.

IWantToBeAHipster - It has been quieter than I expected. De Beek seems to be a really shrewd acquisition – hopefully has more fortune in his first year that his classmates De Jong and De Ligt enjoyed. Sancho is a great player and think he would be a great player for United but not at the fees being quoted in a post COVID world and considering weaknesses at front vs. back. I feel your transfer record hasn’t been stellar over the last few years at least those big names either not making it or not having the desired immediate impact – Pogba, Sanchez, Di Maria, Maguire, Fred. I feel like whilst Man City have the money somehow Man Utd end up over paying and a lower hit rate on the big deals. It feels like Woodward and co go for the obvious big names that are splashed across the rumour columns rather than finding that gem. More generally I would say I no longer hate Man Utd and that’s not a good thing. I hated your success, your ability to win no matter the players/ the time in the match/ the opponent. Man Utd should have a defined style and mentality that sets them apart from the rest but right now it feels like it’s a blurring with an imperfect replication of tactics that work for other sides and do not see a longer term vision in place. Simply having continuity of managers is not a vision, and Van Gaal, Mourinho and now Ole do not seem like the seeds of a revolution. Why are teams like us innovating (in relative terms I mean not changing landscape of football) and taking risks bringing in managers like Potter when we could lose everything with relegation, yet Man Utd won’t go for a Nagelsman, Tuchel or Pochettino? As an England fan I am very happy to see the faith in youth and the likes of Rashford and Greenwood who have come through in recent seasons but who can these guys look to in the Man Utd team or set up to help them take that next step?

You've fought off strong interest in Ben White this summer, how good is he and how good can he be? Also (Q from AnnihilateNow!) are you surprised Lewis Dunk hasn't drawn strong interest from one of the "bigger" sides (no offence), and do you think he should be making a push for the England squad considering the current options (or lack thereof) at Southgate's disposal?

IWantToBeAHipster - I watched a lot of White last season and caught some games before and I have to say he looks the real deal, great passing ability, movement on the ball, and can quieten physically stronger players like Mitrovic and Kane. Training under Bielsa obviously helped massively on his development but this was part of a longer path where he had continued to stand out. Newport manager said he was the best loan signing he ever made (he was there half a season), the Peterborough fans said he was their best player in that period (he was there half a season), and those managers both predicated England call ups in his future. I think with Potter he will continue to develop and enable him to improve on the qualities Bielsa helped draw out last year and personally expect him in the England starting line up before the Euros.

On Dunk, yes I am surprised historically at teams’ tendency to baulk at the idea of having to pay £50m for Dunk e.g Leicester/ Chelsea who both enquired but didn’t advance interest. Much like Maguire he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, he is comfortable moving on the ball, and has racked up some really nice assists and key goals, and made countless blocks/ tackles to keep us up. On top of this he has been a leader on the pitch. But of course playing for Brighton means you can’t be those things – at least in pundits eyes. This was the final time for him to move to a Top 6 club, any later move could be an Indian Summer as per Evans at Leicester or as rotation option, so it really was a huge win for us to keep him and would not have blamed him if he left. I am biased of course but for me it is a crime Dunk wasn’t starting in the recent games when the likes of Dier, Keane, and Mings get constant call ups. The Dier one was a real slap in the face and maybe it’s Dunk’s age but he played well in his 1 appearance for England whilst Keane has been rubbish consistently and gets called up. Maybe White and Webster stand a better chance.

north_seagull - Ben white looks very comfortable on the ball -I guess my feeling is he won't be at our club for long, but potentially he is destined for huge things-people have likened him to Mark Lawrenson when he was at our club he was a real Rolls Royce of centre halves. I think two things surprise us each window -that no solid interest comes in for Lewis (not that we're complaining)and that he is not anywhere near the England Squad . He is that good -a question from many fans of bigger clubs is he would struggle with a high line but he would be surrounded by better players than he currently plays with and played that international friendly for England and kept a clean sheet-like all players he has strengths and weakness but he's qualities far outweigh any weaknesses -he is also now thriving under the football Potter has us playing which is a passing game and often 3 at the back.

The Boy - Everything about Ben White looks great so far, he’s comfortable on the ball has a great eye for a pass, so playing out from the back as Potter loves to do is not an issue for him. His positional sense seems great as well. But he has only played 180 minutes of premiership football so far and because hype around him has been huge he has a lot to live up to. But so far he has been fantastic and I have high hopes for him. Getting him to sign a new contract was like getting a new signing in this window.

As for Dunk he was heavily linked with Chelsea before he signed a new 5 year contract in the summer, the year before he was tipped by many to replace Maguire at Leicester. I don’t understand why Dunk doesn’t have more than his one cap, he does everything that Southgate says he wants well. Maybe under Chris Hughton he was seen as a deep lying blood and thunder centre back, but under Potter he has shown how good he is bringing the ball out and even picked up a few assists last season.

I think another issue might be that Dunk is a one club man he came through as a school boy with us and made his first team debut when we were in league 1. So he never did the England U18s or U21s etc.

Maybe I am bias but in my mind he is at least as good as Maguire and a bit faster as well.

Albion Analytics - Ben White is extremely good. A standout player in the Championship last season, both visually and statistically. The fact that he played every minute under Bielsa should say enough, he is already accomplished enough to operate as a centre-back, as well as a defensive midfielder. He made the most interceptions in the league, and centre-back wise recorded the most shot ending sequences started (29), second most progressive carries into the opposition half (88), and the third most progressive carries from goal kicks (31). He has started both PL games so far this season and slotted in perfectly.

With Dunk, pleasantly surprised, though thankfully most sides seem to be prioritising signing younger players, particularly U23s. Dunk is certainly in the prime of his career, and would not look out of place in a top 6 side – he is statistically one of the top centre-backs in the league. He should definitely be on the radar, though unfortunately for him he holds many stylistic similarities to the likes of Maguire and Gomez who are continuously chosen. If Dunk could offer something more unique – like Tyrone Mings’ left-footedness – he’d most likely be a mainstay in the side.

Are there any exciting youngsters to look out for at Brighton? Someone you think may break through to the first team this season? Tariq Lamptey looked fantastic the other day so he is starting to pop up on people's radars now.

DankLlamaTech - Haydon Roberts is seen as our next Lewis Dunk, looked fantastic in the cup match yesterday. You might see the PL debut of Jayson Molumby against you this weekend after Bissouma’s Red Card. Beyond that, we have a ton of exciting talent in our U-23 team, and they’ve been doing very well in the PL2.

north_seagull - Tariq Lamptey has impressed every game he's played for us I would say he is one of the most exciting prospects we have had at our club for years, You also mentioned Ben White , we are also hoping for a bigger season from Aaron Connolly this season. And we also have a player called Alzate who has huge potential.

AlbionAnalytics - Tariq Lamptey most definitely. The most shot-creating actions (9) of any Brighton player in the first two games, and he ranks 6th in the whole league for that metric. He operates at ridiculously high speeds, clocking over 35km/h against Newcastle. He shows speed in all areas of the game – intercepting and starting counters, as well as the immense recovery run against Newcastle to deny Callum Wilson a 1v1 against Ryan. Steven Alzate should be added to that list, too. He can play CM or RB, and brings some Colombian flair to the side. He recorded the joint most nutmegs (4) of any Brighton player last season, and completed all 30 of the passes he attempted in Newcastle’s half – last season (pre-lockdown) he had the highest pass completion in the opposition half. Though he made an error leading to the penalty against Chelsea, Alzate combines aesthetics with an immense statistical output. Look out for his ability to create shooting opportunities from dribbles.

IWantToBeAHipster - I’ll just go into the breakers in or ill go on for hours. I won’t go into Lamptey as his quality speaks for itself and is being done to death in the media. Only thing I will say is he comes across so well in interviews – its almost like Fifa/ Football manger levels of nice things he says – and so know he will have the attitude to make it. Alzate broke through last season but injuries meant he was out for large parts and necessity meant he was often at RB rather than CM – still he earnt 2 Colombia caps. Real confidence on the ball bordering on arrogance given his experience and will be an immovable object if he stays fit and with a bit of refinement will generate c. 10 goal contributions. Mac Allister is one that made the news a bit given his name opens up room for jokes (yes he does actually have a brother called Kevin) – he is a 21 year old Argentinian international, is taking a bit of bedding in to English football (Athletic has an article about his route here I’d say its interesting but I am biased) and has scored in the 2 Carabao cup games. Molumby is the other one I will call out as he is a Stephens successor type with a spice of Potter to him. He was left out last night of Carabao squad to save him for Saturday which we assume makes him Bissouma’s replacement in the starting line-up. Ireland international, good on the ball with great distribution from deep. One of those players that if they are doing everything right you probably won’t notice until he gets a yellow for a cynical tackle.

The Boy - Yes lots! I’m really excited about the younger players breaking into the first team at the moment. Obviously we had Connolly, Alzate and Mac Allister come through last season. This season we have Haydon Roberts another CB who looks great. Max Sanders a central midfielder who played the other night in the cup against PNE and did well. But the one I have the highest hopes for is Jayson Molumby another central midfielder. He was rested in the cup so I expect him to play in midfield instead of Bissouma against you on Saturday.

Another one to watch is Matt Clarke, he was on loan at Derby last year and has gone back there again, he is yet another CB, but he is rapidly gaining a big reputation in the championship as well. As far as defence goes we are stacked for years to come with quality!

How much of a miss will Bissouma be after his red card agaisnt Newcastle?

AlbionAnalytics - Quite possibly. Dale Stephens has been sold to Burnley, and Bissouma recorded the most passes attempted/completed (46/50) and most ball recoveries (11) against Newcastle. He has become a mainstay since the Premier League restarted in June, and every Brighton fan will rightly point to a style transformation – an excellent attacking transition outlet under Hughton, he has now matured his style and has become a refined passer and technician of the ball.

IWantToBeAHipster - Bissouma has been fantastic since the restart in June – would rank him third best improved after Webster and Trossard. He was a raw product for his first season of whom we had great expectations. With Potter coming in again we had high hopes but took his time integrating into the matchday squad with Potter continuing the historic Propper/ Stephens partnership. But, Potter used the restart as a petri dish to execute tactics closer to his vision as you will have seen in our previous encounter – note Lamptey and Macallister made their full debuts here despite being in squad since Jan – and This has enabled Bissouma to come to the fore and show off all aspects of his game – as such this will certainly be missed considering how dynamic your midfield options are. Bit of realism – if maintains current form expect him to move onto a bigger team in next 2 summers the wealth of quality we once saw in this position is now aging and not being replenished at same rate.

DankLlamaTech - Bissouma is the key to a comeback, he never loses motivation and is always willing to fight for the ball. He is very active in intercepting the ball and does a great job of transitioning the ball up the pitch. If the match goes like your one at palace, then I don’t anticipate needing the difference he brings, but if we go down early, he could be sorely missed.

The Boy - Bissouma has become the heart of our midfield so we’ll definitely miss him. He’s great in transition winning and intercepting the ball and quickly moving it forward. But as I said above, I have high hopes for Molumby so it will be interesting to see how he does. But Biss has quickly established himself as a key part of our team.

(Q from Vault Dweller) - I have been quite impressed with the last few performances from Brighton, and Potter seems to have coached the side very well indeed and made some shrewd signings. Also what have you noticed is the biggest difference Potter has made since he took over the side? And what are Brighton's ambitions this year, survival once again or targeting a cup run, or something greater?

north_seagull - The biggest differences Potter has made since he came is the way we play , we are a lot more comfortable with the ball and dynamic , he has largely dismantled Hughtons team and has invested in youth , our academy is really staring to bear fruit now . The main ambition is I guess is still survival but far more comfortably than in previous seasons,any cup run or high position would be a bonus , but most of us are still realistic about the task ahead.

The Boy - The quickest answer would be to list what Potter hasn’t changed since he took over. I loved Chris Hughton and was horrified when he was sacked, but we have undergone a revolution since Potter turned up and though some of the names on the team sheet might be the same we are a completely different team. Just looking at the stats gives a quick view of how we’ve changed. We scored more last season than any time before in the prem, conceded less, pressed more than teams like Arsenal and Tottenham, had more shots per 90 mins the list goes on.

We play a completely different style, we play out from the back, press high, transition fast and yet our defence hasn’t suffered. I can’t tell you what formation we play as Potter changes it all the time, often in the middle of matches, he also has habit of playing people out of position. Dan Burn (an almost 7 foot tall towering centre back) at left wing back for example or Jayson Molumby this week started as a right back against PNE. What it means is that our team has gone from being really well organized and sitting deep hitting teams on the counter to a fluid fast paced and technically skilled, attacking unit. Everything has changed.
The other big change for me is the average age of our squad has crashed down – the average age of our line up against Newcastle last week was 23.9. Two years ago under Hughton for the same game it was 29.1. As for our ambitions Dan Ashworth (our DoF) laid out our plans to become a top ten prem team last season and that is what we should aim for. A cup run would be nice but top ten is our goal.

IWantToBeAHipster - The biggest thing I noticed initially last season is I stopped saying “how on earth did we win that” and started saying “how on earth did we lose that”. We moved from a team that played 50 – 60 minutes off the ball to dominating possession against even a lot of the top teams and creating buckets of chances. Illustrating my first point we created our most chances in our PL period against Crystal Palace at home…. We lost 1.0. The season before we looked like a team that were condemned to death from the first whistle and I don’t blame anyone wanting us to go down. Potter has rejuvenated this by taking risks and making mistakes himself – example what the hell was our line up against you at home? – and allowing his players to make mistakes in the process of instituting his plans. Webster for instance is a ball playing centre half and he made a number of high profile errors yet Potter never kneejerked back to our stalwart Duffy. He also changed formation more than any other manager and constantly tinkered which was at times frustrating but provided all players a chance to state their case. Most crucially for me and for a number of fans he has started taking the cream of our youth team and putting it into effect which would not have happened with Hughton.

(Q from Lash) - What hopes do you have for Maupay this season? If he does have a good season, do you see him moving on?

IWantToBeAHipster - I thought Maupay had a really strong season last year as a premier league debutant who only turned 24 last month. He notched 10 goals in the end and I expect him to exceed this even if only modestly to say 15, because he is worth more than just the goals to us with his willingness to drop deep and his build up play. He shows that someone who is smaller in stature can have really strong hold up play, his control is very good and formed an understanding with Connolly and Trossard. He has been mentally strong given the completely unfair abuse he received re: Leno injury. I think he will attract attention from abroad if we has an even better year and would particularly suit Serie A.

north_seagull - we are hoping that Maupay turns froma 10 goal striker to a 15 goal striker he's still quite young in striking terms but he has the potential to become a top marksman for sure, can't see him moving on anytime soon - he seems to like it at our club and the supoorters have taken to him.

AlbionAnalytics - It’s certainly a possibility. Maupay showed immense dexterity last season, scoring 5 times with his *weaker* left foot, 3 times with his head and just twice with his *stronger* right foot. He was one of the top U23 pressers in the league, and showed better than credited ability to drop in and receive the ball in build-up phases. He started strongly against Newcastle, scoring his first brace for the club. He’s only 24, so the sky is really the limit.

(Q from Mickson) - There are two Swedes in the team, and one of them has played a lot in the cups. How has he been doing, does he have any chance of taking a spot in your first team? And the other one? Also, you have an assistant coach that is Swedish. What is the picture of him from the supporters?

The Boy - Viktor Gyokeres and Peter Gwargis are our two Swedish players. Peter Gwargis plays for the U23s and hasn’t made a first team appearance yet (I don’t think) Gyokeres has been playing in the Carabao Cup and scored. But I’d be surprised if he makes much of an impact on the first team outside of the cups this season, especially if we buy another striker.

Potter obviously coached in Sweden at Ostersund and Bjorn Hamberg worked with him there as well as at Swansea. Actually a couple of others worked with Potter in Sweden as well assistant manager Billy Reid and Kyle Macauley. They came to us a s a team and are are all very highly regarded as together they have transformed Brighton.

IWantToBeAHipster - Gyokeres and Gwargis have both played in the Carabao cup games – the former as a starter playing the full 90 in both getting a goal and assist in the process and the latter getting about 20 minutes across the 2. I think the former has a chance of being involved in the squad, Potter has spoken well of him, he offers something different being more physical and over 6ft, and we know Potter likes to utilise youth. Viktor’s status depends on whether we get another striker in before the end of the window, he is still only young and if we get another striker a year at Swansea on loan could help get him up to speed. That being said I’d love him to get the chance to secure a role with us. Gwargis tore it up for u23s last season, was unfortunate to come in at tail end of games in Carabao where game was very different but acquitted himself fine. Hoping we can find a good loan for him as senior football is crucial and is one to watch for me.

(Q from 12OunceEpilogue) - What does the rivalry with Palace mean to you guys? I got talking to a Palace fan a few years ago and he revealed that he absolutely hated Brighton, which took me aback as I didn't anybody hated you lot whatsoever. Let us know if Eagles v Seagulls is still broiling away in 2020.

AlbionAnalytics - Yeah, still no love lost between the two. A rivalry stemming from the 80s (the Mullery and Venables eras), it’s an intriguing one to understand – I’ll let you investigate it, as I can’t give it a decent explanation! Neal Maupay became a fan favourite by shushing the family stand at Palace last season, when he scored the opener. 4 of the 6 games against Palace in the PL have seen both teams scored, and all the games which either side have won have been by a marginal goal – its close!

The Boy - I can’t stand Palace, I won’t bother with all the history, but I remember when our then owners Bill Archer and David Bellotti were selling our ground out from under us and pocketing the cash and we looked like we were dropping out of the professional leagues, we genuinely all thought the club would go under and disappear.

While fans from clubs across the country supported us and came to games at the Goldstone to try and raise money for us, at Selhurst Park they printed out a load of flyers congratulating Archer and Bellotti for doing a great job at Brighton. Classless club, classless owners with (mostly) classless fans.

I loathe Palace and watching them get relegated would be almost as good as winning the league, but with a much bigger chance of it happening!

north_seagull - Yes there is still a bitter rivalry betweeen Palace and Brighton , I follow a few accounts on Twitter and the banter is good natuired but when we play the atmosphere is always fiesty- nobody undertsnds it from outside but it's now I guess a generational thing -they (apart from Crawley) are the closest professional club to us and Dads have passed the rivalry down the songs are there to hear every week but yes don't expect the rivalry to ever die down.

We play each other twice in a row it looks like. Do you think both games will be similar? Which one are you likely to be more full strength for?

AlbionAnalytics - Potter made 11 changes for the last two cup games, so we’d anticipate so. We’ve got Everton, Crystal Palace and West Brom in the league after facing United, so one expects those games to have been highlighted as key to get points from. That said, Potter loves team rotation and tinkering, so he may have tricks up his sleeve!

IWantToBeAHipster - I think these are likely to be very different fixtures and the opportunity to have contrasting outcomes. We will see full strength team for the PL fixture as I am sure is the case also for you and Potter has become more predictable and fixed in his approach it seems as the players attributes match his needs – expect either same 11 as against Newcastle with Lallana for Bissouma, or same as vs. Chelsea with Molumby for Bissouma. Our Carabao cup team has been similarly consistent so I expect Potter will show faith as well as wanting to see how some of those on the bench/ u23s get on, particularly with Everton away looming.

north_seagull - We are due to play each other twice , in four days , so there will be a different team out in each , without a doubt our strongest lineup will be in the league .

The Boy - We’ll definitely put out our strongest side for the league game as I imagine you guys will as well. The cup game is a side show but our “shadow team” has also been playing very well, we have good strength and depth at the moment. I am guessing that Harry Maguire will be the only player from either side to start in both games. I am hoping that Jose Izquierdo might make his come back from injury in the cup game. He’s been out for pretty much 18 months, but on his day he can be a hell of a player and it would be great to see him on the pitch again.

Who do you think is Utd's best player? What area of our starting XI would you improve?

north_seagull - Without a doubt Fernandes is your stand out player and he is the one I'd take no question.

IWantToBeAHipster - Bruno Fernandes. He really is such a dynamic player and seems to always turn up – albeit rather limited sample and Europe league was flat by his standards. I feel a lot of the Utd players play off confidence and are warm weather players e.g. Martial, Pogba and even Rashford to an extent, and you need those engines again like Fergia era who just win and can pick up the slack in poor games as we see at Liverpool.

AlbionAnalytics - Hard to look past the quality of Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes. The former is so competent in attacking phases, and a real lynchpin for United in attack. I won’t need to tell you how good Fernandes’ output has been since he arrived, so keeping either quiet will be a tough task – we failed in the post lockdown game! Potentially the full-backs have room to improve, down the left-side Williams is inverted and doesn’t scream a United type/standard full-back, but then we have plenty of youth players currently developing at Brighton – it’s all a trade off. Wan-Bissaka, despite his Palace roots, is an excellent full-back, but was probably born 10 years later than he deserves to get fair appreciation. United could probably do with full-backs who could offer more in build-up and in terms of a final ball.

The Boy - I think your front line of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood is immense and without doubt the most worrying thing for us. Those three took us apart last season. Bruno and Pogba, when he hasn’t got covid-19, are pretty terrifying too. If I had to improve your team I’d be looking to buy a top RW, a DM, a CB and a LB, but I doubt this is news to United fans!

If you could take one Utd player at Brighton, who would it be?

AlbionAnalytics - Somewhat sentimental, but also more realistic than a key player. Jesse Lingard was excellent here in a loan spell, and with the sale of Mooy we have room for another AM. He completed the most final third pressures of any United player last season, so he fits the pressing system that Potter wants. Capable of scoring from range too, though his G/A contribution has been limited in recent years, he still has a lot to offer. He loves playing at the Emirates, too, and Brighton have an exceptional PL record against the Gunners.

north_seagull - Fernandes

The Boy - I’d take Greenwood, we need more depth up front and I think he looks amazing and has limitless potential plus he’s young and has so many years at the top ahead of him. Potter excels with young players and Greenwood would slot straight into our team. So I’d like him please!

IWantToBeAHipster - Despite my former answer (of Bruno), given the fact we have so many options in midfield and our relatively limited competition up top I would go for Rashford as I think he would fit perfectly into the system and his pace alongside Trossard and Lamptey would be hard for most teams to handle. He also would pass the no dickheads test and be a great ambassador for the club.

DankLlamaTech - I would take Dean Henderson as competition for Maty Ryan and to secure the future of our team in goal.

How do you think Utd will do this season?

The Boy - I think a lot depends on what business you do in the transfer market. If you don’t bring anyone in but manage to keep your 1st XI fit for most of the season, then you should get top 4 easily. But if you get a run of injuries like you did last year it could become a very difficult season.

You’ve had an amazing run this year so far (apart from the Palace game) so the ability is clearly there, but I don’t think you can keep it up in such a busy season. You need 2-3 more decent players to see you through.

IWantToBeAHipster - I have you down in 5th as I believe Arsenal will slip into the top 4 fighting Chelsea for 3rd. Bringing in Arteta – who I think really does look a cracking coach who like Potter needs to purge the squad to his image - feels like them making a change whilst everyone else is stagnating. Ole’s brought through some players and given them a spotlight so maybe they will play for him but (and I may be entirely off the mark) it feels like the leadership are postponing Utd’s success by not moving now for a manager with a clear and achievable vision that matches your lofty ambitions.

north_seagull – I still think you are some way off the top 2 but there is no reason to think you wont be a top 4 team again

AlbionAnalytics - Top 4 has to be the aim. Ole has definitely progressed as a manager and is seeing some real consistency in his results. It will most definitely be tight at the top (excluding City and Liverpool), but if United could be even as remotely cut-throat as they were at the Amex or against Bournemouth, they could really steamroll sides. Mason Greenwood was exceptional post-lockdown, making a mockery of xG, so to see if he can continue to overperform so significantly will be an interesting watch.

Finally, prediction for the match?

IWantToBeAHipster - As I alluded to on another question the last time out between us was a very different fixture, Potter got experimental trialling Lamptey as a winger, mixed up the squad given the impending more important Norwich fixture – three of that night’s starting line up have either been sold or gone on loan (Duffy, Montoya, Stephens), and a further four will not or are highly unlikely to start (Burn, Propper, Bissouma, Macallister). We also have had more time to institute the philosophy of Potter. But, I think you will find space in behind given the way we play and if our defenders are not on top of their game we could ship three again, however I think a tighter scoreline is likely. Putting pressure on our midfield will be key and we have been liable to a stray back pass. Connolly and Lamptey are penalty magnets and will give real trouble to the likes of Lindelof or your full backs depending if AWB plays and is fit, as will Trossard who I haven’t mentioned much but really has been fantastic since project restart and is a real goal threat. My gut suggests you will win but finer margins this time 2.1 or a 3.1 as we press for an equaliser, but if your players don’t show up and we get a lead we will be hard to breakdown.

AlbionAnalytics - I’ll be stupidly positive, though Brighton have beaten United in 2 of the 3 Premier League games at the Amex. An outside shout for 1-0 Brighton, with an optimistic prediction of a scrappy Aaron Connolly winner. Of course, we have Adam Lallana now who netted his most recent PL goal at Old Trafford. Brighton have won the last 3 games to-nil, for the first time since October 2018. This is definitely the best time for Brighton to face United, who certainly seem like their fruitless European schedule has spannered any chance of a good start to the 2020/21 season.

north_seagull - Until lockdown we had quite a good record against you at the Amex , but it's not going to be easy for us you have some real quality and when we played you last season that showed. However I'm going to have us shading it 2-1 (well I would wouldn't i!)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Let me know any thoughts. Too long? Not long enough? Good questions? etc...

Hope you enjoy!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
"You’ve had an amazing run this year so far (apart from the Palace game) so the ability is clearly there, but I don’t think you can keep it up in such a busy season. You need 2-3 more decent players to see you through."

The Boy is bang-on there.

Our expectations this season rest solely on who we bring in before the current transfer window shuts. If we end up relying on Martial, Rashford and Greenwood to carry this year, top-four will be a big ask.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Great responses. Always really enjoy these (also previously as a lurker), to learn more about teams and clubs.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brilliant work @Solius and thanks for the fans answering the question I proposed including @The Boy. Really enjoyed reading the answers to all the questions.

As I stated I have watched Brighton a few times recently including the back end of last season and can't help but be quite impressed with the work Potter and the team are putting in. I hope Brighton go on to have a great season (just after our game on Saturday ;)).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great job Solius,

Cheers to @The Boy and the others who probably won't see this (so why thank them?!) for their responses.

Basically... Lewis Dunk should be in the England squad.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Nice to see a random group of Brighton fans agreeing on most things, a good sign that we’re heading the right direction.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let me know any thoughts. Too long? Not long enough? Good questions? etc...

Hope you enjoy!
Really enjoyed that. Cheers, all.

They seem as excited about Ben White as we are about Greenwood, well almost. Haven't seen much of him. England have indeed picked from a rather average pool of centre backs recently. Interesting also to read what his ex (loan) managers had to say about him.

A lot of information - great thread.

Davie Moyes

Fantastic read. Thanks @Solius.

Nice bunch of lads with fair and balanced views of Utd.

I did not realise they have tied down Ben White to a new deal. Also did not know about to their rivalry with Palace.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Love you, @Solius

I really like hearing their opinion on Potter. I've been very impressed with the work he's done there. They look like a very well coached team who play progressive football, which, unfortunately for us United fans, has been alien to us these past few years.