g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Probably don’t have a deep enough squad to seriously challenge, but they can compete with anyone on their day.
Well that's kind of the interesting part... They are fairly stable against mid and lower table teams plus a few OK teams in the top half. It's the big boys they've been destroyed by up until now.

SB16

He's made Lucas Digne look like a half decent full back which in itself is a true feat of football management

Lee565

They may not win the title but I think top 4 spot is theirs, their impressive form under emery has been going on for far too long now to expect them to collapse like spurs

slored1

Absolutely unbelievable how good they have been. Emery has really surprised me even though I rate him a lot, what a gritty and well-coached team he has got there. McGinn and Kamara are fantastic players, while Emi Martinez might be one of the best 5 keepers on the planet. Would not surprise me if they finish in top three.

Raven

Tielemans was the far better option than Mount this summer. Would be nice to have a real midfielder who can score and assist rather than this false midfielder we seem to be playing.

Taribo's Gap

Tielemans was the far better option than Mount this summer. Would be nice to have a real midfielder who can score and assist rather than this false midfielder we seem to be playing.
He doesn't have the right temperament for United's current predicament and is a bit moody. He was even grumbling in the press about his playing time at Villa earlier this season. I think he would not have been a good fit at all.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Arteta, De Zerbi, ten Hag and Postecoglou are all better / same tier as him. Emery's good but but getting heavily overrated now, let's say Villa finish 6th or 7th, no one will claim he's the 3rd best in the lague.
:lol:

Robertd0803

Imagine in 2013 when we strolled to the title vs Villa that 10 years later we would envy them as being a better run club than us.

Xaviboy

They bought in DOF that he has worked with at previous clubs and was a success with. Targeted players that fit his style and seems to be paying off.

C'est Moi Cantona

Imagine in 2013 when we strolled to the title vs Villa that 10 years later we would envy them as being a better run club than us.
I can't think of many (or any) that are worse run tbf, maybe Chelsea could run us close recently, Everton? That's about it.

I like Villa, so good on them showing us terribly run clubs up for the idiots we clearly are.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He doesn't have the right temperament for United's current predicament and is a bit moody. He was even grumbling in the press about his playing time at Villa earlier this season. I think he would not have been a good fit at all.
Douglas Luiz was available for about 20m in summer 2022. That's someone who'd massively improve your midfield with his tempo play and also increased scoring threat.

If SAF had been still advising he'd have told whoever was in charge to put in a bid for McGinn aswell. It has surprised me how much he's improved under Emery as before he was effective at box to box and pressing but in slower games his passing would be exposed a bit. Now he makes the correct decision with the ball 9.5/10 so that's great coaching day in day out compared to what he was getting previously which was just soundbites and indulgence by Slippy.

GledTheRed

Would have been a bad fit for a size large.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He was fine defensively. Nothing special but as good as most modern full backs are.
I thought he was a tad shaky as a defensive full back but as you say most modern full backs are .. It's a funny place that football has arrived at..

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Would any of the Villa fans on here be able to help me get 3 tickets for the game vs. Sheffield United just before Christmas? Trying to as a present for my wife's family, though not sure how without buying three £40 memberships through the club website.

Bwuk

Looking forward to super John McGinn lifting the title.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Doing brilliantly but been very lucky with injuries, especially Mings being out
Mings was brilliant in the run in last season. Yes he has mistakes in his locker but you can't measure the leadership he'd bring on the pitch and big part of our rise generally since 2019. His performance at Anfield right at the end of last season was the best game he's ever played for us, was imperious that day.

Losing him on opening day with a career threatening injury was a big blow at the time whatever the perception of him on here. I imagine if he'd stayed fit we'd have seen more of Konsa at RB as seen for the past three games. Diego Carlos has also picked up injuries here and there so last month has been his first run of starts since signing.

We also lost Buendia just before season commenced, he'd have started all the matches Zaniolo has so far. And that brilliant left sided combination of Moreno-Ramsey was not seen on the pitch together in prem until December 3th so that's a long old wait.

It's true we haven't had as many injuries as rivals but we've still had to contend with 4-5 regulars out so far. The two we simply can't afford to get injured from this point are Martinez and Watkins.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would any of the Villa fans on here be able to help me get 3 tickets for the game vs. Sheffield United just before Christmas? Trying to as a present for my wife's family, though not sure how without buying three £40 memberships through the club website.
You'll struggle to get them all sat together even with membership.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He really wasn’t.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Has Tielemans scored yet in the league this season?

shoom

Supports
Arsenal
Douglas Luiz was available for about 20m in summer 2022. That's someone who'd massively improve your midfield with his tempo play and also increased scoring threat.
Was he though? We had a 25m bid turned down that summer. Missed opportunity in hindsight, god knows what it would take to get him now.

Last edited:

ti vu

So are they pulling a Leicester or is this a fluke?
The league is very strong. Unlikely for Aston Villa to pull a Leicester when other teams don't slip up behind even when they're not in top form. Leicester won PL in a season where many normal big teams were very underwhelming. Won the league with 81 points and had 10 points gap to second place Arsenal at 71 points. Last two seasons, 71 point only got you 4th place.

Aston Villa can have high finish if they keep up. Their point gain rate since Emery joined is healthy for top 3 finish.

Cloud7

I can't see them doing a Leicester, because I expect City to do their usual late season charge where they steamroll everyone and end up winning it again, but I see no reason why a top 4 finish is beyond Villa. Their competition for that is us, chelsea and spurs, all of whom are stuttering to varying extents.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The league is very strong. Unlikely for Aston Villa to pull a Leicester when other teams don't slip up behind even when they're not in top form. Leicester won PL in a season where many normal big teams were very underwhelming. Won the league with 81 points and had 10 points gap to second place Arsenal at 71 points. Last two seasons, 71 point only got you 4th place.

Aston Villa can have high finish if they keep up. Their point gain rate since Emery joined is healthy for top 3 finish.
I can't see them doing a Leicester, because I expect City to do their usual late season charge where they steamroll everyone and end up winning it again, but I see no reason why a top 4 finish is beyond Villa. Their competition for that is us, chelsea and spurs, all of whom are stuttering to varying extents.
The hope they do have is that City, Chelsea and United are struggling a bit (or in Chelsea's case, perhaps slightly more than a bit) and that two of their main rivals at the moment are Spurs and Arsenal, two teams who mostly feck up. Of course there's also Liverpool, but they've been a bit hot and cold as well.

Kinda funny that 2 (?) seasons ago Anwar El Ghazi was an important player for Villa and now they're here.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This would be something even greater than Leicester. A resurgent Arsenal; a Liverpool side who are winning at a very high clip; a City who will do their usual massive winning streak as others flounder; a much stronger set of supporting teams - this would be winning the league when it is at full strength rather than a very extreme and fortunate run of events conflating to have your team way up there whilst so many are sorting themselves out.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This would be something even greater than Leicester. A resurgent Arsenal; a Liverpool side who are winning at a very high clip; a City who will do their usual massive winning streak as others flounder; a much stronger set of supporting teams - this would be winning the league when it is at full strength rather than a very extreme and fortunate run of events conflating to have your team way up there whilst so many are sorting themselves out.
Can't say I agree with that...the Leicester squad that won the league cost c. 30m.

Villa have been spending c. 100m for about 5 seasons now.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's made Lucas Digne look like a half decent full back which in itself is a true feat of football management
Forget that, he's made leon baily look somewhat decent :lol:

tomaldinho1

They bought in DOF that he has worked with at previous clubs and was a success with. Targeted players that fit his style and seems to be paying off.
You mean, they planned ahead...what kind of devilry is this? United told me it's better to just live season by season and throw money at problems.

Cloud7

The hope they do have is that City, Chelsea and United are struggling a bit (or in Chelsea's case, perhaps slightly more than a bit) and that two of their main rivals at the moment are Spurs and Arsenal, two teams who mostly feck up. Of course there's also Liverpool, but they've been a bit hot and cold as well.

Kinda funny that 2 (?) seasons ago Anwar El Ghazi was an important player for Villa and now they're here.
You’re not wrong, but my rationale is that we’ve been here before with City, where it looks like they’ll have an off season and then they go into their mode where they beat everyone. I would love for that to not be the case this season though. And I would love for Villa to win the league.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can't say I agree with that...the Leicester squad that won the league cost c. 30m.

Villa have been spending c. 100m for about 5 seasons now.
Net spend would be important here, but also the relativity of what they're up against compared to Leicester who really had the perfect storm.