Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Waited all this time to tweet this. I’d have thought he’d be happy to get CL football but seems replying to Rio was top of the agenda

What's the background to this?

Very well deserved I have to say from Villa. I like Emery a lot as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
They got lucky this season, that's what xG says anyway. Hopefully they at least get out of the group for the league coefficient.

tomaldinho1

Probably from when he did the weird dance against us after scoring and then we beat them. Still super odd. Varane told him off for it and he looked like a plonker so assume Rio said something as well?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Probably from when he did the weird dance against us after scoring and then we beat them. Still super odd. Varane told him off for it and he looked like a plonker so assume Rio said something as well?
What a weirdo, should be the last thing he's thinking about at that time. Why on earth is he thinking about Ferdinand at all?

Nori-

He's been fantastic for Villa, it makes you wonder why it didn't work out as well at Arsenal.

Some managers just seem to thrive at clubs outside the traditional top 4 or 5 and falter when taking the step up.

tomaldinho1

What a weirdo, should be the last thing he's thinking about at that time. Why on earth is he thinking about Ferdinand at all?
If it is from that, which is only my guess, it just shows Rio has lived in his head for months.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Rio tweeted (Feb?) “are you alright?” with a picture of Luiz doing that weird dance by Onana when he scored v us.

Trying not to read too much into it as don’t know the guy at all but seems small time and/or he can’t take a joke. My wife, father in law Villa fans.. absolutely made up to be in CL, don’t know why Luiz is tweeting this minutes after Spurs lose. I wouldn’t be

Bwuk

He's been fantastic for Villa, it makes you wonder why it didn't work out as well at Arsenal.

Some managers just seem to thrive at clubs outside the traditional top 4 or 5 and falter when taking the step up.
He's never been at Arsenal.

Fallon d'Floor

Bit of a rough end to the season. They kind of stumbled over the line. Ran out of steam. But still got the job done.

71 points would be a very good return if they can win their final game.

You can see that their squad is lacking in a few areas, which will need to be addressed ahead of next season.

Digne and Moreno will both turn 31 this summer and are a bit too like for like. I'd say they'll move one of them on and look to bring in a younger LB. Sousa migh be an option next season though. Signed from Arsenal in January and went out on loan to Plymouth.

Cash is one of very few who haven't really improved under Emery. He often opts to play Konsa at RB because he doesn't fully trust Cash. I know they signed that highly rated 18 year old RB from Red Star in January, but he's currently out injured. They might need an older alternative. Sell Cash.

They probably need to sign another DM, as they really missed Kamara after he got injured. Dendoncker will probably be sold, which would make room for a new DM.

Durán might need a loan to fully develop. He's still very raw. Watkins has been incredible. A reliable backup option for him will be needed.

@FootballHQ What areas would you like to see addressed in the summer transfer window?

Shinjch

Will be interesting to see who Monchi targets now they have Champions League as an added incentive for potential incomings.

Bwuk

Actually he was manager at Arsenal. I remember one of his first press conferences and people were having trouble understanding his English.
Apologies - for some reason I thought we were talking about Douglas Luiz!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The job he's done and the job Howe has done with Newcastle has made me wonder how big an achievement it really is to take a club like Villa or Newcastle to CL football. Both have done it from a position of possible relegation for the club. Personally I think both have done incredible jobs (but maybe there is a case study in that somewhere), Emery in particular, who since he's came in have been a top 4 club based on points. Do think they have the better foundations footballing wise to stay up there too, Newcastle despite the backing just feels like a club which can never be the top dog due to where it is.

Fallon d'Floor

Actually he was manager at Arsenal. I remember one of his first press conferences and people were having trouble understanding his English.

I liked that he was willing to speak in English instead of hanging out of a translator for years like some other managers do.

Good ebening. :D

Fallon d'Floor

The job he's done and the job Howe has done with Newcastle has made me wonder how big an achievement it really is to take a club like Villa or Newcastle to CL football. Both have done it from a position of possible relegation for the club. I think both have done incredible jobs, Emery in particular, who since he's came in have been a top 4 club based on points. Do think they have the better foundations footballing wise to stay up there too, Newcastle despite the backing just feels like a club which can never be the top dog due to where it is.
Their ability to improve players has been their biggest strength.

Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Watkins improved by big margins under Emery.

Schär, Longstaff, Joelinton, Almirón, Murphy and Wilson all improved under Howe.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Their ability to improve players has been their biggest strength.

Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Watkins improved by big margins under Emery.

Schär, Longstaff, Joelinton, Almirón, Murphy and Wilson all improved under Howe.
I agree, it just makes me wonder how many clubs within that mid table range could do something similar with the same type of backing and manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bit of a rough end to the season. They kind of stumbled over the line. Ran out of steam. But still got the job done.

71 points would be a very good return if they can win their final game.

You can see that their squad is lacking in a few areas, which will need to be addressed ahead of next season.

Digne and Moreno will both turn 31 this summer and are a bit too like for like. I'd say they'll move one of them on and look to bring in a younger LB. Sousa migh be an option next season though. Signed from Arsenal in January and went out on loan to Plymouth.

Cash is one of very few who haven't really improved under Emery. He often opts to play Konsa at RB because he doesn't fully trust Cash. I know they signed that highly rated 18 year old RB from Red Star in January, but he's currently out injured. They might need an older alternative. Sell Cash.

They probably need to sign another DM, as they really missed Kamara after he got injured. Dendoncker will probably be sold, which would make room for a new DM.

Durán might need a loan to fully develop. He's still very raw. Watkins has been incredible. A reliable backup option for him will be needed.

@FootballHQ What areas would you like to see addressed in the summer transfer window?
New DM for sure. I'd love Joao Palinha but we still have to watch FFP as Newcastle had to do last summer so that is probably unrealistic with Fulham wanting 70m +.

I'd keep Digne for one more year if finances allow given his top level experience and sell Moreno instead as he had a bad injury this season and lost a yard of acceleration.

Beyond that I think it will be another young player or two and hopefully one can step up like Morgan Rogers has.

Will also have Buendia, Mings and Jacob Ramsey back in August which will help with rotation for the following league games after CL.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I agree, it just makes me wonder how many clubs within that mid table range could do something similar with the same type of backing and manager.
West Ham haven't been too far off. As it stands they have all of Kudus, Paqueta (although he'll probably go to Man. City) Bowen with Alvarez and JWP solid behind them.

Can't help but think Lopetegui is completely the wrong fit for the next few years though. He'll just keep them playing like Moyes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
West Ham haven't been too far off. As it stands they have all of Kudus, Paqueta (although he'll probably go to Man. City) Bowen with Alvarez and JWP solid behind them.

Can't help but think Lopetegui is completely the wrong fit for the next few years though. He'll just keep them playing like Moyes.
Agree. I do think that West Ham, Brighton and Palace are in the best place to do that due to location, stadium and club size. West Ham the most due to current players and european experience, aswell as top half finishes consistently. Wrong manager though. Bournemouth an outside shout due to their investment and manager but the stadium is always one of those things holding them back a bit.

Fallon d'Floor

New DM for sure. I'd love Joao Palinha but we still have to watch FFP as Newcastle had to do last summer so that is probably unrealistic with Fulham wanting 70m +.

I'd keep Digne for one more year if finances allow given his top level experience and sell Moreno instead as he had a bad injury this season and lost a yard of acceleration.

Beyond that I think it will be another young player or two and hopefully one can step up like Morgan Rogers has.

Will also have Buendia, Mings and Jacob Ramsey back in August which will help with rotation for the following league games after CL.
Palhinha turns 29 this summer, so you're probably better off signing a younger DM.

I wonder would PSG be open to selling Ugarte. He didn't fully establish himself there this season. He'd be a perfect Palhinha alternative.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think Hermoso on a free from Atletico Madrid will be announced once La Liga ends. Plays CB and can also cover LB.

Also linked today in French press to Carlos Soler. He was very good at Valencia a few years ago but not quite made the same impact at PSG.

Pau Torres and Tielemans were high quality signings for us last summer so same again I think, we're in the nice position now where we just need to top up with 2-3 rather than changing half the team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think Hermoso on a free from Atletico Madrid will be announced once La Liga ends. Plays CB and can also cover LB.

Also linked today in French press to Carlos Soler. He was very good at Valencia a few years ago but not quite made the same impact at PSG.

Pau Torres and Tielemans were high quality signings for us last summer so same again I think, we're in the nice position now where we just need to top up with 2-3 rather than changing half the team.
The free market is actually quite good this summer.