Television Atlanta (TV Show)

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
So I just watched this new TV show by Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino which is about life and hip hop in Atlanta and I liked it. Also it appears that Quavo (of Migos) is making his acting debut in this which is something I can most definitely get behind.

bleezy

Just watched the first episode too and really enjoyed it. It's very funny and has a good style to it. I'll admit I went in a bit sceptical, expecting something a bit more off-the-wall and hit and miss from Donald Glover. But this was great. I'll be watching.

ArmchairCritic

The shots at Fetty were uncalled for though.
That was the point though (I think), 'real' rap fans will dismiss and root against guys like Fetty but prop up guys like Paperboi who are actually no different in content. They already have a pre-defined image in their heads of what rappers should look and sound like and push back against anything different without even engaging the art on its own terms. Like who the heck vaunts a rapper for shooting someone and tells them not to let them down? What kind of stupid, dehumanising shit is that?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
That was the point though (I think), 'real' rap fans will dismiss and root against guys like Fetty but prop up guys like Paperboi who are actually no different in content. They already have a pre-defined image in their heads of what rappers should look and sound like and push back against anything different without even engaging the art on its own terms. Like who the heck vaunts a rapper for shooting someone and tells them not to let them down? What kind of stupid, dehumanising shit is that?
Yeah, I got that. Should've added a lol, lol.

It's refreshing with a mainstream show that deals with the complexities of black culture/people.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah, I got that. Should've added a lol, lol.

It's refreshing with a mainstream show that deals with the complexities of black culture/people.
:lol:, yeah I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, I should have known better with your sense of humour.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Watched the first episode, it's pretty good.

"Worldstar!"

"Naw, don't do that to us."

"This definitely going on Worldstar!"

"No it's not, stop it!"

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
"If you can use a rat as a phone, man that'd be genius. There's like 5 rats for every 1 person in New York alone. Everyone would have an affordable phone, it'd be messy but worth it"

gza the genius

I watched the first two episodes and liked it quite a bit. Didn't know what to expect from it based on Community and other Donald Glover ventures but it was very good, serious but had a lot of humor and was shot well I thought. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Really liking this two episodes in. Everything in the jail was brilliant and that friend with the hat is funny. Somehow I see a lot of likeness in this show and King of the Hill.

This show is also sad because it really makes you realize how lame you are.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I really can't remember the last time/if ever a dramedy has impressed me this much after just 4 episodes. I think it took a few more episodes for me to really get aboard the likes of Girls and Transparent.

Zen

I watched the first two episodes, about time Donald Glover nailed it, too much internet hype prior to this. Will finish the rest once I complete the second season of Mr Robot.

Snow

I watched the first two episodes, about time Donald Glover nailed it, too much internet hype prior to this. Will finish the rest once I complete the second season of Mr Robot.
About time? He was 23 when he started to write for 30 Rock and has since then starred in a sitcom for 5 years, written his own special and released 3 albums. He's also had to tour that special and those albums along with the various TV guest roles and movie appearances. I'd say he's been very busy.

Zen

Not sure what being busy has to do with finally living up to his clear talent, a lot of his stuff hasn't been very good despite good ideas. The Childish Gambino pseudonym was enough to put me off his music, if it wasn't for the fact it's mostly awful anyway, felt like he was trying too hard at times to be some kind of face on internet type entertainment guy.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
He's obviously incredibly talented but Zen isn't wrong that his output hasn't been memorable, other than Community, which isn't uncommon with jack of all trades. His standup and music are only passable. Looks to be coming into his own with writing/creating, which was where he got started.

Untied

This is probably my favourite show currently. Brilliant television. Very little happens and yet it's utterly enthralling. Really funny at times but offers profound social commentary at others.

Cina

Darius basically steals every scene he's in.

"Can I measure your tree?"
"Not right now"
"Not right now? Man, that basically means no"

Untied

"Not right now"
"I like Flo Rida… Moms need to enjoy rap too"

Snow

"Not right now"
Nice Simpson reference. Yea, that character is great. The whole trade-up thing and his conspiracy theories. He feels like a mellow version of Dale from King of the Hill.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Will probably start watching this. As I've understood it is sort of a Louis CK for a younger crowd, which sounds great since Louis CK at times could be really great.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Brilliant show, i'm fully caught up with it. Darius is my favourite character, that shooting range scene when everyone freaked out about the dog :lol:
Van is pretty interesting in a Lisa Bonet kind of way, hopefully we see a little more of her now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This show has been on my radar for a while. It just happened it was on last night while I was channel surfing. Watched 2 episodes, the one with the weed test, and the transracial one. Brilliant. Donald Glover is onto something here.

ArmchairCritic

Shoutout to Donald Glover for putting Bankroll PJ, Nileseyy Niles and Migos in his show so far.

Tarrou

Started watching this last night and caught up already. fecking brilliant. Genuinely laughing out loud so many times.

That bit in the last episode when he finds out he wasn't getting paid to be on the show cracked me up :lol: