ATR 72-500 crashes in Nepal with 72 people on board

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What happens in that video? I'm too scared to watch
From regular chatting between friends to screaming as the plane goes down to silence and flames flickering over the camera all in the space of a few seconds. Honestly one of the most haunting things I've seen on the internet.

MuFc_1992

From regular chatting between friends to screaming as the plane goes down to silence and flames flickering over the camera all in the space of a few seconds. Honestly one of the most haunting things I've seen on the internet.
I've been closely following the developments regarding this since yesterday but I don't think I have enough stomach to watch that. I'm from Nepal and plane crashes are way too common here. I remember there being around 3-4 crash in a single calendar year once.

RedDevilQuebecois

I had to muster enough courage to watch it, and.. 'kin 'ell. :(

I only hope that video will help the investigators.

Tarrou

awful to watch, the one tiny consolation for their relatives is it was really quick between when they realised they were about to crash and the crash

just a few seconds and presumably they died instantly

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Seeing the fire at the end makes it eery as feck

The one in the link is safer to watch, just shows it banking hard.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
awful to watch, the one tiny consolation for their relatives is it was really quick between when they realised they were about to crash and the crash

just a few seconds and presumably they died instantly
Yeah that's weird. I'd always envisaged an awful long period when you know the flight is doomed and is going down for a minute or more, with everyone terrified. The speed of that one is one very miniscule consolation.

MDFC Manager

Was a Facebook live broadcast apparently. Imagine some of their friends and family were watching it, watching them die... Awful :(

At the start of the video one of them says something like "this is a lot of fun"

hobbers

Very weird crash to watch.

Can only think all the flaps malfunctioned at the same time, or the pilot did it on purpose.

Heardy

The only saving grace - it happened super super quick. The passengers went from chatting and it was all over in a couple of second.

Poor souls - the only comfort is they had very very little time to comprehend what was happening.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
ATR 72 is a very reliable plane, which is strange. I see the plane was doing a left turn, maybe too much angle?

andy0

ATR 72 is a very reliable plane, which is strange. I see the plane was doing a left turn, maybe too much angle?
The nose looks high on the straight part of the flight, so speed low, and the wing drop may be involuntary as it stalls, rather than turning deliberately at that moment, and then there isn't enough height margin to recover.

It seems that the approach to that runway (12) at the new airport involves flying over the old airport, on a slightly doglegged approach using a navigation aid on the old airport.

However, it is reported that this aircraft had asked for a change from 30 to 12, and it may have been doing a circuit on the north side, a base leg roughly in line with the old airport, then a left turn would have been coming up.

(Elsewhere, some people have checked landmarks in that video, such as a stadium, against maps satellite view)

One or two people speculated they may have been trying to land at the old airport by mistake, and realised a bit late. This seems unlikely, given the height at that point, and they'd asked to change runways on the new airport, and had already arrived there a couple of times earlier in the day

A dreadful event, and horrifically enhanced for the people who were seeing the video live

The flight data recorder (sometimes nicknamed black box) and cockpit voice recorder will help the investigators.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The nose looks high on the straight part of the flight, so speed low, and the wing drop may be involuntary as it stalls, rather than turning deliberately at that moment, and then there isn't enough height margin to recover.

It seems that the approach to that runway (12) at the new airport involves flying over the old airport, on a slightly doglegged approach using a navigation aid on the old airport.

However, it is reported that this aircraft had asked for a change from 30 to 12, and it may have been doing a circuit on the north side, a base leg roughly in line with the old airport, then a left turn would have been coming up.

(Elsewhere, some people have checked landmarks in that video, such as a stadium, against maps satellite view)

One or two people speculated they may have been trying to land at the old airport by mistake, and realised a bit late. This seems unlikely, given the height at that point, and they'd asked to change runways on the new airport, and had already arrived there a couple of times earlier in the day

A dreadful event, and horrifically enhanced for the people who were seeing the video live

The flight data recorder (sometimes nicknamed black box) and cockpit voice recorder will help the investigators.
Thanks for the more detailed insight. Much more sense with your explanation. Is the video where the plane looks to have an engine on fire legit or deep fake?

andy0

Thanks for the more detailed insight. Much more sense with your explanation. Is the video where the plane looks to have an engine on fire legit or deep fake?
The video from inside, in the OP, ends with flames after the crash, but I don't think you mean that.

The video on several news websites, including BBC, taken by someone on a landing or balcony, it comes toward them and the camera turns downwards, has no obvious flames

Someone on another forum did look at that one frame by frame, and wondered if he saw some smoke behind one engine just as the aircraft is about to disappear behind the roof soffit, but didn't mention fire.

It may turn out to have an engine fault, but at this stage it will be too early to tell, until the black box is looked at. Even then, a fault on one engine is survivable and has defined procedures for dealing with it, so if it's that there will be other factor(s) too

Siorac

But... who uploaded that video to Twitter? Like did they just find someone's phone and decided to post it?

andy0

But... who uploaded that video to Twitter? Like did they just find someone's phone and decided to post it?
lt seems to be that it was being live streamed by the phone owner to family or friends, which has to be ghastly for them

Just finding the phone and posting it would seem very improbable, given that all that stuff would be in the hands of police and investigators, so it may have been seen by some as a bit suspect to start with, even though the passing landscape tallies.

But in a discussion elsewhere someone said later that police and relatives had confirmed it. I haven't checked that myself, but I'll accept it

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ending so quickly in flames everywhere in basically few seconds after losing the control is ridiculous.

Edit: Watching that video from the airdatanews link, it looks like he is going really slow and taking a big turn for such a plane.

mu4c_20le

Was on facebook live and went viral. Assume the phone melted in the end of the clip there.

binary bot
That video is both chilling and slightly comforting that they became aware so late

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolutely horrendous.

The only survivor was one of the pilots right?

Hopefully they’ll be able to shed some light on to what happened along with the download.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nepal must be the least safe country when it comes to aviation?

hodgey123

Watched that video and wish I hadn't.

How can it be that they did not realise they were crashing until seconds before? Do you think the pilot was aware? The descent to landing looked quite smooth to a layman rather than shaking crazily or anything else you 'expect' from a crash?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Watched that video and wish I hadn't.

How can it be that they did not realise they were crashing until seconds before? Do you think the pilot was aware? The descent to landing looked quite smooth to a layman rather than shaking crazily or anything else you 'expect' from a crash?
If the plane stalled then everything bad happens pretty fast.

andy0

If that video has the right engine on fire, right wing down and wings nearly vertical, it's probably from a crash in Russia in 2021

hobbers

It's obvious from the internal video that there's no fire. Both engines are apparently fine. Else obviously the cabin wouldnt have been so chilled.

hodgey123

It's obvious from the internal video that there's no fire. Both engines are apparently fine. Else obviously the cabin wouldnt have been so chilled.
Is the video posted at the start of this thread not real then?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There’s no fire on the video that shows the plane. A pilot on Reddit said it looks like a stall where one side goes first, hence banking over wildly

hobbers

Is the video posted at the start of this thread not real then?
Why would it not be real? Taken from a live stream that was already verified by the victims family.

When I say no fire I mean before crashing or that caused the crash, just in case that wasn't obvious.