Australia Tour of South Africa 2018/Ball tampering

freeurmind

weak willed
Great innnings by Markram. Real proper opening batsmen. Who knows what could have been if AB hadn't gotten run out. SA fielding has been suspect again in this test, how long does Otis Gibson and Faf let that go on, dropped chances, misfields galore, it's a disgrace. Good to see QDK get some form as well. If Elgar misses the next Test I'd bring in Malan. PE up next so a similar kind of wicket and SA have to win it to have any chance in this series.

freeurmind

weak willed
Here are the incidents @Xaviesta was referring to. Aussies as usual acting first and apologising later. Lyon's celebration is a disgrace tbh, not surprising he's already been charged. We'll see what the fallout from the Warner-De Kock fight is. Not surprising, the usual suspects involved.
Here's Warner having to be restrained by teammates. Wasn't Warner supposed to have left behind this kind of behaviour?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, not sure why Lyon decided to drop the ball on AB like that. Very much unnecessary.

Also not sure what caused the exchange between QdK and DW?

Either way, all handbags. This SA team should toughen up a bit. Aus thoroughly outplayed us.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Aussie acting like twats, not really a surprise.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lyon has been charged by the ICC. Warner let off for his role in the celebrations post the De Villiers dismissal. Lyon deservedly charged. What he did was no accident. Yes, you can be happy after dismissing somebody so seminal in the opposition team but there are things you shouldn't do. Warner's behaviour was ridiculous too. I have no issue with sledging, I'm not keen though on taunting and send offs after a dismissal. I don't care who you play for, i don't like seeing it.

@Ish Regarding Warner and De Kock, it is emerging that De Kock allegedly sledged Warner about his wife Candice. Warner better have his story right as that is an accusation you don't throw around lightly. It's not the first time his wife has been the topic of some sledging. Crowds in New Zealand have done it generally in relation to Sonny Bill Williams, the Barmy Army have made songs about Candice Warner's past relationship with Sonny Bill Williams. An opposition player allegedly doing it is a bad look.

Both incidents are highly unedifying. There's no defending what Lyon and Warner did post the De Villiers run out. I want to see the Australian team win. I don't want to see them despised due to their behaviour and conduct. Surely they can be successful without a couple of individuals, in this case Warner and Lyon behaving like dickheads.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Lyon has been charged by the ICC. Warner let off for his role in the celebrations post the De Villiers dismissal. Lyon deservedly charged. What he did was no accident. Yes, you can be happy after dismissing somebody so seminal in the opposition team but there are things you shouldn't do. Warner's behaviour was ridiculous too. I have no issue with sledging, I'm not keen though on taunting and send offs after a dismissal. I don't care who you play for, i don't like seeing it.

Regarding Warner and De Kock, it is emerging that De Kock sledged Warner about his wife Candice. Warner better have his story right as that is an accusation you don't throw around lightly. It's not the first time his wife has been sledged. Crowds in New Zealand have done it generally in relation to Sonny Bill Williams, the Barmy Army have made songs about Candice Warner's past relationship with Sonny Bill Williams. An opposition player allegedly doing it is a bad look.

Both incidents are highly unedifying. There's no defending what Lyon and Warner did post the De Villiers run out. I want to see the Australian team win. I don't want to see them despised due to their behaviour and conduct. Surely they can be successful without a couple of individuals, in this case Warner and Lyon behaving like dickheads.
Re: the Warner thing, I think if QDK said about his wife then he shouldn't have said it, but Aussies are the masters in sledging. The problem with this Aussie team is that they think themselves to be the authority on deciding where the line is when it comes to sledging.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
There are plenty of sports teams who are bad losers but Oz cricket team is the only one I can think of who are also bad winners.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

@Ish Regarding Warner and De Kock, it is emerging that De Kock sledged Warner about his wife Candice. Warner better have his story right as that is an accusation you don't throw around lightly. It's not the first time his wife has been the topic of some sledging. Crowds in New Zealand have done it generally in relation to Sonny Bill Williams, the Barmy Army have made songs about Candice Warner's past relationship with Sonny Bill Williams. An opposition player allegedly doing it is a bad look.

Thanks Xaviesta, appreciate the update.

Yeah, sledging is all part of the game, but a couple of characters (like Warner being the main culprit) seem keen to give it out, but are quick tempered when they are on the receiving end of some sledging.

What Lyon did was also unnecessary. Glad he's getting fined/charged.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Not much warmth in the handshake between Warner and De Kock as expected.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
There's one humorous element to the tea time fracas yesterday: Members of the Aussie media have suggested Faf Du Plessis gets under the skin of the Australian players partly down to the fact he doesn't miss an opportunity to walk around without his shirt off to show everybody how buff he is. So, as he made his way out to see what was going on, Faf was shirtless with just a towel around his waist. I found that rather fitting and got a slight chuckle out of a serious situation.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
There's one humorous element to the tea time fracas yesterday: Members of the Aussie media have suggested Faf Du Plessis gets under the skin of the Australian players partly down to the fact he doesn't miss an opportunity to walk around without his shirt off to show everybody how buff he is. So, as he made his way out to see what was going on, Faf was shirtless with just a towel around his waist. I found that rather fitting and got a slight chuckle out of a serious situation.
Faf :lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
An article is surfacing from an Aussie journo who is reporting that the South Africans are alleging that Warner might have sledged De Kock about his sister and his mother. If that's true, that's indefensible. Article is behind a paywall unfortunately otherwise i would have shared a link.

From the article:'Faf du Plessis and team manager Dr Mohammed Moosajee claiming that de Kock was also subjected to personal sledging, with allegations from the Proteas that his mother and sister may have been mentioned in some way during the day’s play. Smith and Australia have countered this version of events.'

TheGame

:lol:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
An article is surfacing from an Aussie journo who is reporting that the South Africans are alleging that Warner might have sledged De Kock about his sister and his mother. If that's true, that's indefensible. Article is behind a paywall unfortunately otherwise i would have shared a link.

From the article:'Faf du Plessis and team manager Dr Mohammed Moosajee claiming that de Kock was also subjected to personal sledging, with allegations from the Proteas that his mother and sister may have been mentioned in some way during the day’s play. Smith and Australia have countered this version of events.'
It is irrelevant if Oz got personal first or De Kock did. Like KM said, if Aussies start sledging they can't hand our rule books to the opposition about do's and don't's. Others who retaliate will do it in their own manner. It is like the Mcgrath incident when he was sledging a Zimbabwe player about being fat and he referred to McGrath's wife in his retort, who was unfortunately sick with cancer at that time. I get why McGrath got angry over it but you can't expect everyone to know your personal history/situation and follow lines you or your team have drawn as part of your game plan. The whole sledging tactic is aimed at nudging the opposition player to lose his calm and crack under pressure, so why is surprising if someone would then cross a line even in verbal sense?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It is irrelevant if Oz got personal first or De Kock did. Like KM said, if Aussies start sledging they can't hand our rule books to the opposition about do's and don't's. Others who retaliate will do it in their own manner. It is like the Mcgrath incident when he was sledging a Zimbabwe player about being fat and he referred to McGrath's wife in his retort, who was unfortunately sick with cancer at that time. I get why McGrath got angry over it but you can't expect everyone to know your personal history/situation and follow lines you or your team have drawn as part of your game plan. The whole sledging tactic is aimed at nudging the opposition player to lose his calm and crack under pressure, so why is surprising if someone would then cross a line even in verbal sense?
I actually agree with what you're saying as I've said above in this thread but apparently - & I get this from the few semi-pro cricketers i've chatted to - there's sort of a code or unwritten rule in cricket that sledging will never get personal to the level where mothers/wives/sisters etc. are included.

NM

I actually agree with what you're saying as I've said above in this thread but apparently - & I get this from the few semi-pro cricketers i've chatted to - there's sort of a code or unwritten rule in cricket that sledging will never get personal to the level where mothers/wives/sisters etc. are included.
Aussies have broken this many times. I find it hilarious that they cry whenever somebody gives it back.

MDFC Manager

Aussies have broken this many times. I find it hilarious that they cry whenever somebody gives it back.
Exactly. Bunch of cry babies.

"We'll sledge the shit out of you, but don't please don't get personal in return" :rolleyes:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Dave Warner is free to play the 2nd test. The ICC fined 75% of his match fee and given 3 demerit points.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
To be fair Warner wanted to punch the cnut's light out - not cry about it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
An article is surfacing from an Aussie journo who is reporting that the South Africans are alleging that Warner might have sledged De Kock about his sister and his mother.
Australians saying this is pure bullshit to try to get De Kock off.

Remember they had the front to appealed their blatant cheating last time they were in Australia.

Red_Beans

Australians saying this is pure bullshit to try to get De Kock off.

Remember they had the front to appealed their blatant cheating last time they were in Australia.
Well they not going to admit to it, are they?

Anyway this whole incident is becoming so petty. Like school kids running after the teacher: "Quinton called me this" "but only cos David called me that" etc.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
RSA 110/2 chasing Australia's first innings of 243. Rabada facing a two test suspension pending result of a hearing at the end of the days play.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
RSA 110/2 chasing Australia's first innings of 243. Rabada facing a two test suspension pending result of a hearing at the end of the days play.
Is that for something that happened after the Smith wicket?

I watched the highlights & looked like they collided when Smith was walking down to ask about reviewing, but there was no mention of anything from the commentary team so I assumed it was nothing.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Is that for something that happened after the Smith wicket?

I watched the highlights & looked like they collided when Smith was walking down to ask about reviewing, but there was no mention of anything from the commentary team so I assumed it was nothing.
If the contact with Smith is deemed avoidable or the celebration was deemed excessive, Rabada will receive enough demerit points for him to miss two tests. He has 7 demerit points, 8 across a 24 month period is two tests on the sideline. The celebration, in terms of what he said i think is OK, the contact with Smith may see him in some trouble.

zing

Zingle balls
Incredible player. It's a shame he wants to retire.