Australian Open 2011

Hitchcocker

I should have put money on this. I thought it would end 3-0, just didn't know it was going to be this dominant of a display.
Same here. Had a gut feeling it would be a Djokovic three setter but after the first set, I was expecting 7-6, 7-5 or something of that sort. Murray was an embarrassment.

wr8_utd

:'(
I honestly dont think he will ever. He needs a better, imposing, more penetrative serve, a better game plan and more than any of that a mental strength to impose himself in big matches - which you cant buy and he does'nt have

Unless he gets that he'll never move up the extra notch
I'm sure he'll win a Slam at some point. There has to be a tournament where none of Novak, Rafa and Federer reach the final.

Slam finals have been somewhat disappointing though since that epic Fed Del Po final.

2010:
Aussie Open : Fed in straight sets
French Open: Nadal in straight sets
Wimbledon: Nadal in straight sets
US Open: Nadal in 4. Still a quality match though.

2011:
Aussie Open: Novak in straight sets.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
I'm sure he'll win a Slam at some point. There has to be a tournament where none of Novak, Rafa and Federer reach the final.

Slam finals have been somewhat disappointing though since that epic Fed Del Po final.

2010:
Aussie Open : Fed in straight sets
French Open: Nadal in straight sets
Wimbledon: Nadal in straight sets
US Open: Nadal in 4. Still a quality match though.

2011:
Aussie Open: Novak in straight sets.
I dont think he will - does'nt have it in the head to do it imo

Ixion

Djokovic was the best player in the tournament and deserves the title, shame Murray couldn't play his best though.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Murray had one of the easiest draws to reach the final. All the potential tricky ties didn't emerge. There is just no excuse for such a shit performance except that he has no mental strength.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
No see above
I agree. I admit to feeling bitter about Djokovic, and probably won't give him the credit he deserves, simply because this was Murray's best chance so far and it ended worse than the games against Federer.

I doubt British tennis will produce another Slam winner again. That in itself is insane given the LTA's £40m budget.

Zen

He'll get compared to Agassi and Goran obviously, but even they LOOKED like they were in their first 3 slam finals.....Murrays lost 9 sets in a row without ever really looking like threatening, its clearly not talent, he can hang with Federer and Djoko, pure mental, and being from Britain does not help in the slightest, just like it doesn't for the English football team. We've got great sports fans and when those fans go years without major success, it continues to put bigger and bigger pressure on the sportsmen in them sports....it's fecking hard not to have that play on your mind out there.

wr8_utd

I dont think he will - does'nt have it in the head to do it imo
He's 23 right now. I'd be shocked if he never won a Slam. He has a very very good hard court game, usually. And he's not going to lose it mentally every single time.

SCM

Murray needs to go away and take the positives from this week in getting to another slam final but seriously do some work on his serve before his next tournament. As another final and his serve doesn't appear which when it has become one of his main weapons at times for easy points if it doesn't work he is going to struggle.

Even if he had managed to get it firing Djokovic on the form he showed there was going to be pretty hard to beat even in Murray fired on all cylinders. Well deserved winner on the day as Murray couldn't cope and parts of his game that did him well in the run to the final just went missing.

wr8_utd

He'll get compared to Agassi and Goran obviously, but even they LOOKED like they were in their first 3 slam finals.....
That's an insult to Agassi.
Murray had one of the easiest draws to reach the final. All the potential tricky ties didn't emerge. There is just no excuse for such a shit performance except that he has no mental strength.
I think that's the problem. He was so comfortable in most of his matches I don't think he was really prepared for someone of Djokovic's quality.

Hitchcocker

Congrats Andy. Seems a very sound and polite guy. It's a pity he seems to lose it a little too often during matches.

Zen

That's an insult to Agassi.
Of course.

Both lost their first 3 finals, it's hardly comparing them as players, but yeah miss the point out of blind hatred to someone you don't even know.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
He's 23 right now. I'd be shocked if he never won a Slam. He has a very very good hard court game, usually. And he's not going to lose it mentally every single time.
Unless he 'man's up' bigtime in the head he'll never win one exactly like Henman.

I also don't believe in this media pressure bullshit - Tennis is a 'loners' sport - its one on one and you have to close all that shit out - Nadal Federer McEnroe Borg they all had that 'media pressure' and could simply concentrate on their own inner belief

Unless you keep putting yourself in finals and under pressure you cannot cultivate a winning mentallity. Last year Murrays answer to losing to Federer was to lose every fking game for 6 months ! and that's not the answer of somebody who has to look at himself look at his game get out on the training court and improve technically and then mentally

He does not have that mentallity and so will always struggle when faced with the biggest of matches against the best players

Unfortunate but I'm afraid that's the truth imo

Ixion

Murray will always be there abouts towards the end of the Slams, if he gets a tournmaent where those big 3 don't make the final he'll have a great chance.

wr8_utd

Unless he 'man's up' bigtime in the head he'll never win one exactly like Henman.

I also don't believe in this media pressure bullshit - Tennis is a 'loners' sport - its one on one and you have to close all that shit out - Nadal Federer McEnroe Borg they all had that 'media pressure' and could simply concentrate on their own inner belief

Unless you keep putting yourself in finals and under pressure you cannot cultivate a winning mentallity. Last year Murrays answer to losing to Federer was to lose every fking game for 6 months ! and that's not the answer of somebody who has to look at himself look at his game get out on the training court and improve technically and then mentally

He does not have that mentallity and so will always struggle when faced with the biggest of matches against the best players

Unfortunate but I'm afraid that's the truth imo
Thats true. Lets see how he responds this time though. However with the French Opens and Wimbledon the next two slams I don't see him doing much there. US Open is his best chance really of a Slam. I agree he's mentally extremely weak but I yet think he'll win one Slam.

If a player like Gauston Gaudio can win a Slam on his favored surface I think murray, despite the mental issues, can win one.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Murray has the talent but the mentality is lacking so far.

So far he has played in 3 grand slam finals and have lost all of them on straight sets.

Zen

The only one of them who anywhere near the same media pressure BEFORE they had won slams was Mcenroe, but even then America had had Jimmy before him, so it wasn't as such a big deal.

vuc

First Team Serb
He's really had a brilliant few months. Great US Open, winning the Davis Cup and now this :D
The Davis Cup win has just revitalised him. It's almost like he has become 'The One'.. :lol:

I want to see him sustain this level, because IMO #1 is there for him to take now... with all due respect to Fed and Nadal.

wr8_utd

The Davis Cup win has just revitalised him. It's almost like he has become 'The One'.. :lol:

I want to see him sustain this level, because IMO #1 is there for him to take now... with all due respect to Fed and Nadal.
Well it depends on how he can do at the next two Slams. He has a shocking record at both of them but if he can even get to finals then yes the number one ranking is there for him.

Fed lost a lot of points in this Aussie Open. Surely Novak must have overtaken him now?